/mtg/ what you dislike your opponents doing

So, the thread is simple and I'm not trying to create skub. In any format whether it be casual, vintage, legacy, modern, standard, edh etc..

What do your opponents do that absolutely grind your gears? This can be out of game (like constantly moving cards in their hand or something) to metagame, cards you absolutely hate, anything. Just whatever pisses you off?

I'll start (and probably catch a lot of shit)

>he plays mono blue in casual

pic absolutely unrelated

easily

I am guilty of this myself

I hate when my opponent doesn't show up, like why bother registering in the first place

That's a free win though. Do you enjoy the competition more than winning?

Shuffle the cards before passing when drafting and sitting there shuffling their hand when they are "thinking."

The shuffling in the drafts do it way more though. It annoys me to no end and I have to sit their and reorganize by rarity.

When people have like three cards in hand at most and sit there taking five hours to take their fucking turn. There is only so many things that can happen JUST FUCKING DO SOMETHING ALREADY.

It always happens when I'm winning too. I'm trying to move on so we dont fucking time out so I can get my win and they sit there like they can actually change the course of the match if they just stare at their cards hard enough.

OP here. I also hate it when I'm playing casual and people feel it necessary to use their netdecks. It just makes me rage out, and I usually end up using my modern infect netdeck which usually wins if 1v1. If not, I just target them until dead.

>mfw

Spike, is that you?

I mean, I get it, it's almost an auto-include in every blue EDH deck. Cheap (for its effect) one-sided boardwipe

But people bouncing things to my hand is really irritating for some reason, and this is the epitomy of it

I mainly play at prereleases and drafts. Their deck isn't some all star that has multiple ways to do anything. They probably have shit in their hand that has been nerfed and sterilized to no end by WotC and will only ever bee seen in limited.

Ah, I actually rarely play EDH. How often does this hit the field? My meta casual is 60 card standard, so I'm not accustomed to the 100 card draw chances.

meant for

when im paying to play at an fnm, id rather not waste my time with arms crossed instead of, yknow, playing.

>bring tablet
>go to bathroom and wank

>tfw won a pre-release with yoked ox bestowed with celestial archon in the final match

Opponent was pissed, and taking forever to play his shit

Not letting me touch his cards freely to make the game go faster, calling the judge when they Pithing Needle triggered or mana abilities and not being able to explain to me the loops of a combo

The combo one is the one that makes me real mad, because if they can't explain it to you it usually means they just netdecked it and didn't even bother to learn what the cards do or what the process is

>You NEED infinite combos to win in commander
No, you only need infinite combos to win when you're on 5 health and have 0 creatures because you can't fucking play, because you're over reliant on spike decks in a casual format.

>having a friend who constantly smells of BO

I'm buying this nigger 30 dollars worth of pit-stick for Christmas.

>fat smelly guy leaves the store for a smoke
>comes back smelling of sweat and weed
>he takes twice as much time to end his turns

>Play a big creature
>>Bitching
>Attack him because he has 0 creatures to block while the other guys have at least 1 each.
>>Bitch about targeting
>Play a path to exile on his big fat creature
>>Bitching about balance

>People who bring loud video games to FNM
>People who bring pony plushes to the table
>People who have t-shirts with shit like "Ill be nicer when you be smarter"
>People who give you death stares when you make the slightest advantage against them
>People

I understand not being chad thundercock or normal mcaverage, but at least dont pretend FNM is your house

>tfw when your deck just shits all over them

When a game goes on for long it's almost 100% sure the blue player will drop it

>People who give you death stares when you make the slightest advantage against them

I much prefer this. I have people at my LGS who take the game WAY to seriously and freak out. I'm talking jumping out of chairs and jump stomping the ground while yelling.

During the eternal masters draft I drafted up a white black deck and got lucky getting a metric shit ton of removal. I just kept removing all his problems and kept swinging with Calciderm's since I managed to pull 6 of them. He was at five life left and my Calciderm had only one more attack. I pathed the blocker and he flipped and screamed out "WHY THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE SO MUCH REMOVAL"

I get so fucking embarrassed because the whole store turns and stares at me and him.

>Take forever for every fucking turn
In some special cases, I know what's the best thing for him with no further information than what I gathered during the game and minor predictions, but he still thinks for a few minutes, just for one play.

In the same sense, please for the love of god, plan your turns beforehand, especially in a multiplayer. 80% of the time, your hand won't change that much, so just look for some good value plays. Multiplayer isn't even the place to do the best 100% of the time.

Constantly flicking their hand cards, playing lands in front of other permanents and (on casual level) overly reacting to awesome cards in their cube-packs. We get it, everything in our cube is awesome. Stop pretending it's something new

>overly reacting to awesome cards in their cube-packs
I know this feel

Mill makes me want to eat a baby. I don't care if it isn't that good. Something about the idea of having all my options stripped down when I can't even do anything about it really just grinds on my nerves.

Of course when I do it it's funny.

>tfw reanimator EDH
>tfw all mill does is give me cards in my extra hand
Feels good man

Think of it like this. You are not losing those cards. You just are not drawing them. Because in effect its the same as if those cards were at the bottom of your library after you shuffled.

Just play some fucking recursion/reanimation and smile when your opponent mills an Elesh Norn and a Unburial Rites.

Remember, the graveyard may as well be your second hand. This is one of the many reasons of why slow mill will never be good.

>What do your opponents do that absolutely grind your gears?
Getting mad when their tier 1 deck loses to tier 2.
Getting mad when their tier 1 deck wins against tier 3, 4, or 5, but it doesn't win hard/fast enough.
Refusing to admit MTG involves luck.
Playing with unsleeved cards.

>not being able to explain to me the loops of a combo
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but by the letter of the rules, a combo your opponent can't explain is one they can't actually use. Players aren't allowed to ask judges to explain their own cards, only their opponents cards. Knowing how your own cards work is your own responsibility.

What does he play? I want to know what deck is stoner tier.

I'm sure it's easy to have a lot of removal when you cheat and include cards not in the set.

I hate people who put mana rocks inbetween piles of lands.

I hate people who put mana dorks inbetween piles of lands.

I hate people who play nonbasic lands without explaining what they do.

I hate people who place lands that have activated abilities in piles underneath other lands.

I hate pretty much everyone whose exact mana administration you can't tell at a quick look.

I've played quite a few different board games in cafes, bars and card shops for years

by far, Magic has the most immature, and crankiest and autistic playerbase of any game. Sucks because Magic is one of my favorite games

Some guy tried to take my Jeskai control deck too, when I kept zapping his dudes

>Opponent playing Jhoira
>gets mad when I target him because "he has the weakest position"
>When I don't target him he suspends 4 Eldrazi Titans and gloats that he's some sort of tactical genius
>mfw

People playing cards in an foreign language, and them not having access to a copy in the actual language in the area. Slows down the game when we have to look up the wording of the card.

People who put their lands in front of their other permanents.

I know that's what the rulebook says to do, but it's just so goddamn annoying when someone hides stuff in the back corner

>>People who give you death stares when you make the slightest advantage against them

I love it when people get flustered over shit like that. I just sit there like "what are you gonna do now, bitch nigga? just play the damn game"

>I hate people who put mana rocks inbetween piles of lands.
This bugs me a little, but then I do it myself sometimes when I have a complex mana base.
>I hate people who put mana dorks inbetween piles of lands.
Dryad Arbor I can kinda understand, but otherwise what the fuck, who does that?
>I hate people who play nonbasic lands without explaining what they do.
Depending on the playgroup this is fine. When a newbie comes around and the group is disdainful about them not knowing Ith or Lighthouse off the top their head, that's when I hate people who do that.
>everyone whose exact mana administration you can't tell at a quick look.
This pisses me off so much. People who stack their lands in a single pile. I have a friend who'll grab his stack of land in the same hand as his cards in hand, put them together to count his lands, and put them back down. My body wants to have a conniption every time, but we're casual and I'm pretty sure he's not cheating anyway.

That's what the rulebook said twenty years ago or something.

I believe it's the exact opposite now and the official rules are that you are not allowed to put your lands in front of your permanents. In tournaments atleast.

>I play Lightning Bolt and deal 3 damage to your creature
>"hmm let me see that"
>he looks at it for like 10 seconds straight
>"okay" then hands it back

It's fucking Lightning Bolt. You should see the guy when I play Electrolyze. On a tangential note:
>I attack your guy with my guy
>"he's out of range"
>no, the ruler clearly intersects the middle of the base
>he kneels down to look at it
>reaches a hand out to try and fidget with it
NO

when people do that it's usually because they're considering whether or not to do something at instant speed and are just pretending to read the card to hide the fact that they have an answer

Ugh, this.

I'm fine with vanilla cards, tokens and cards with VERY simple and well known abilities (BoP, Bolt, Wrath, etc.) but keep you Russian Kalitas in your trade binder, dammit.

Never thought of that mostly because I measure out my options before shit hits my fan. Still though, he in particular is just retarded which makes it worse.

People who play in EVERY format like it's a Legacy Competitive match, especially EDH.

>Waaa I can't include cards that aren't directly involved with my wincon

I hate this about EDH. People literally build around the wincon and it becomes a solitaire race.

Learn to run disruption effects.

People who tap cards like 10 degrees.
Fuck that shit.
Also don't tell me you don't know what surgical extraction is. You're playing a god damn combo deck.

>Also don't tell me you don't know what surgical extraction is. You're playing a god damn combo deck.
Just because they're playing combo doesn't mean they're not new to the format. Don't be a cock.

Only when you're on camera

< This bitch.

Always cheesed out and always fucks the guy playing the mono-colored deck.

>Playing a mono-black deck
>Opponent plays this and chooses black
>ok
>Play all is dust

I hate when my opponent doesn't bring a way to keep track of life totals and says shit like 'I can keep track of it in my head.'

See I hate people like you with the "just play answers" mindset. Do you understand that in a 4 player game of EDH, if you fill your deck with answers you'll just lose to the third guy trying to combo off. Counterspells.dec works in 1v1 because there's only one other player you have to beat, if you want to win a 4 player edh game you better be the one asking the questions.

Counterpells are really strong in EDH, but only insofar as they primarily protect your own combos.

also what playable answers do you want? counterspells? There's like 4 playable counterspells (in a competitive meta at least) and mana drain is $200 and force is $90, and pact ain't cheap either. I play Yisan and you can't even swords the wincon because I get sylvan safekeeper. When I played Selvala combo I played fucking vines of vastwood because if you can do your think faster than them you just win the game.

Control is fundamentally worse than combo in multiplayer, with the exception of stax, but stax is really more of a combo deck anyway since it's trying to assemble a lock rather than play an interactive game.

people need to wake up and realize that Competitive EDH is closer to bad vintage than regular magic, and if you want to play a fun creature based interactive game you should try to tone down the competitiveness. It's hard to make a hard line since everyone's idea of fun is subjective but if a deck is oppressive you should ask them to play a different deck or change it, and if they won't then you're playing with assholes

jhoira attracts the greediest fuckers ever

>friend plays jhoira
>puts down 4 big ass 9 mana spells
>smash him for the next 3 turns
>"user whyy"
>point at his suspended spells
>"but they're not here yeeeeeet"

i have no idea what a good jhoira list looks like

>playing edh
>"HEY GUYS LET ME SEE YOUR GRAVEYARDS FOR A SECOND :^)"

gosh i wonder if someone is about to cast some kind of reanimation spell

I made a Jhoira deck with very little big spells. Basically I just suspend smaller shit that alone are harmless but when played with stuff I keep in my hand they become deadly.

actually i think in a greedy jhoira i would wait until like the turn 6 before suspending like 3 big spells in the end prior to my next turn, then promptly drop a jokulhaups on that following turn. it'd be cutthroat but it would work i think

What else am I supposed to do? Cast it without knowing what you have?

wow, a rare case of a person who actually understands the underlying problems with playing spike shit in EDH. good post user

yeah there isn't anything else you can do, that's the problem i have with casting from your opponents' graves. i rarely put cards that do that in my decks.

the only thing you can do to counteract it is to ask to see their graves constantly even if you don't have any reanimation

I hate myself, because when I build a deck I can't just let it sit.
I have to refine it, and make it better.
That means I look up similar decks online.
That means I order singletons.
That means I make my decks as efficient and as successful as possible.

That means I have to play with people who, even when I'm using a janky as fuck deck (Clone Tribal, anyone?), still bitch for days that I'm not intentionally gimping myself.
I've played pauper, and pauper is fun. I just like high-powered Magic more. Plays feel more important, and you need to think beyond the current turn in order to secure a win.

Keep track.

>late game, after a million discards/mills/recurs
No.

>Attempting to do something
>"In response..." followed by counterspell/creature removal/tapping creature/etc.

I know it's a part of the game but it's just obnoxious when I hear "In response".

I mean what else are you supposed to say? I activate my trap card?

NOT SO FAST

The game really just needs a priority puck to pass back and forth. It'd simplify every single interaction.

People like you are why I have to respond like it's a dub of Yugioh.

what the fuck kind of 4 player edh games are you playing where that's even possible, my graveyard is regularly 30+ cards

Not that guy, but Burn and Mill are stoner tier. Casting Blaze for lethal and smoking a fat one while your opponents Mind Grind are the way to go about it.

You're kidding right?

High-powered Magic is all about the current turn and nothing else.

Pauper is about the long haul and requires a lot more planning.

EDH and Pauper are my favorite formats, they are both each others opposites.

In EDH I can have 4 life and my opponents can have 100 each. It doesn't matter. My deck has so many ridiculous combos that I've been known to top deck one card and kill everyone when they all thought I was dead for sure.

See Resolute Angel -> Alhamerets Archive -> Aetherflux Reservoir. Basically reads as gain 20 life, eliminate 1 opponent.

Pauper on the other hand, a top deck might keep you alive but one turn wont swing the game. You need luck and foresight to turn a game of Pauper, it is unlike any other format. Almost no card you play can by itself restore you from the brink.

One thing that I hate is when people sell Pauper short because it really is a fantastic format with excellent balance. People say its bland, but most of those people don't know how to build a deck.

AAAGHH! WHAT?! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Will remember that thing about the combo next time I attend an event, thanks!

The stoner plays soul sisters. After the blunt, he can't count myrs for shit, or suddenlytells me they are all tapped, or instead of gaining life he says he's losing it and scoops only to find his mistake after he has told the score to the organizer.

Sometimes is fun, but when you're 1-1 and you don't wanna go to time, waiting 5 times while he mutters "I can win with a Felidar Sovereign but I don't have one" for 5 minutes can make players go mad

People who can't keep track of their +1 counters and tokens. Man, if you need a damn abacus to keep track of your shit, just play a different deck.

Not a huge fan of when someone crashes a multi-player game by destroying all the lands with Jokulhaups or Armageddon or whatever and then bitches that everyone ganged p on him. Yeah, of course we hate you right now, you just killed everybody's lands! Maybe you should've thought for a moment or got some blockers ready before you did that.

Only if you hate your freetime.

Only two things really.

One has only happened once. Playing a draft and this dude has to step away, lets his gf play for him. She eventually loses because she's awful, and thinks it's funny to just knock my deck off the table. Took all my willpower to not slap a bitch.

Other than that I just get annoyed when people won't have any casual conversation during play. They usually have an elitist attitude about it.

If they're doing this at a tournament, CALL A JUDGE!

If it's just kitchen table, a gentler tone usually works, something like "you know I have work/school/an appointment tomorrow right?"

>thinks it's funny to just knock my deck off the table

how the fuck can anyone possibly think this is ok?

I sort of understand the quietness thing, some people just take things really seriously, kind of weird when it happens at a draft or at FNM though

>EDH
>Someone plays a two card combo to win on the spot or goes tutor, tutor, win the game

What's the point?

In a game full of randoms I agree it's a dick move. But if everyone knows everyone, then you really should come prepared with ways to stop people's favorite combos.

Like, I have Karador and it's got several ways to just win on the spot. And a lot of the other people locally know not only to play enough instant-speed removal, but also know the game enough to be able to interdict the combo.

If someone is being a tool with infinites, stop them! It's NOT that hard.

>Netdeck
Anyone who unironically uses the term 'netdeck', especially in a negative context, is a shitter.

A better way to put this is "I hate it when we're playing KTF and someone brings a well-tuned competitive deck; that's not what we sat down for". Saying 'netdeck' implies that the reason you're angry isn't the power difference, it's that they're beating you with 'someone else's idea', which is stupid.

>Not letting me touch his cards freely
Don't fucking touch other people's cards. If you have a problem with the pace of their play, say something, don't just reach over and start touching their shit because you're an impatient sperglord.

>Calling the judge when they Pithing Needle triggered or mana abilities
Why are you calling a Judge for a legal play? They don't name an ability, they name a card. Whether or not naming that card DOES anything is irrelevant; it's 100% legal to play Pithing Needle naming a card that has no activated abilities. It's stupid, but it's legal. Now, calling the Judge when they insist that your abilities are shut off, sure, but immediately calling the Judge is just bad tactics.

>Not being able to explain to me the loops of a combo
Then don't let them. They can't shortcut a combo unless they can demonstrate that the iterations are repeatable. Also, don't use the word 'netdeck' seriously, it makes you look stupid.

well casual is generally for fun decks or stupid shit you just threw together, netdeck implies it's competitive and shouldn't be in a casual game

"Netdeck" implies that your beef isn't with the deck being competitive, but with it being 'someone else's idea'.

Just say "I don't like when people bring competitive decks to KTF". That conveys your point perfectly without making you look like a sperglord that's just mad his Neko Neko Kitty Chan Tribal Deck lost to Jund.

I'm fine with putting mana rocks with your lands, but I put mine either off to the side, or on TOP of a few lands, so it's clearly visible that I have one over there.

Mana dorks with lands should get you fucking shot.

I don't need to explain every single card I play. If you don't know what I played, ask me. If you don't know what it does, ask me.

They don't need to have access to an English copy, as long as any of you own a phone and can just look up the Oracle text.

Judges do it too. We'll ask to read the cards when we know full fucking well what they do, because we just need a moment to think about your exact question and it's less awkward if I'm "double checking" the card than if I just stand there staring into space for 15 seconds before answering like Rain Man.

There's a reason I always use a pad to keep track of all the life totals: I don't trust people.

Not so much. If you wanna get into semantics of priority passing, a turn where I go "Untap, draw, land, go" involves a bare minimum of 16 priority passes.

>Lets his gf play
Congrats, you just won that match automatically.

>netdeck
Go fuck yourself. And anyone playing casual deserves to be fucked by 4 Sol Ring.

There's a reason I don't like using the term 'casual'. I prefer to call that format Kitchen Table Fuckaround.

Why is he bitching about balance when you pathed him

o boo hoo, someone does not want to do just because it makes you unhappy.Why don't you just fuck off then and play with the other spergs

Winning or losing, a person who netdecks can also be seen as someone who is unimaginative and used a cookie-cutter shell. Being passé is as valid a critique as any.

Have you tried not crossing your arms?

Except it's not. You're not 'imaginative' because you built your shitty theme deck, because there's very little likelihood that you're the first person to think it up.

I play kitchen table casual and EDH. My groups pretty casual and content with just the 5-6 of us.
>I hate when someone doesn't explain any card they put down.

Mainly because yeah, we're casual and there's 5 of us. We get off track, have conversations. It's pretty much the only time of the week we all interact besides DnD. Don't put your fucking enchantment down and combo off the next card you place and pump a creature then mill someone, etc etc. just say "and I play [insert card name] and maybe a brief explanation of the card, or offer it up for people to look over. Yes it's risky explaining my heartless hidstugu when I have gisela out, but fuck if I just suddenly interupt everyone's conversation to say "oopsie I won, no one countered"

Fuck I even say shit like "anyone got a counter or anything for this".

>>People who give you death stares when you make the slightest advantage against them
You just named the reason I built Miracles.

I really, really hate when I sit down to play with someone and they feel the need to try and make snarky comments over everything that happens or sings half of their plays