Why are smart Ogres such a taboo in most fantasy settings...

Why are smart Ogres such a taboo in most fantasy settings? If you make a villain he should be at least threatening I really wonder why the fuck people even bother with the so called role playing if they always stick to the same DnD cliches ''this race behaves always the exact same way because they apparently are clones, except humans they are special snowflakes and the only ones with actual personality''. What fucking roles do they play? The oh so unheard of drunken dwarf warrior and agile elf archer #450? Honestly fuck those games and it's unoriginal fanbase that keeps copying LOTR and calls it a day because ''it's not Mordor it's Mordoror!''

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zDifjcFJdDk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc#In_literature_and_folklore
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Why are married bachelors such a taboo in most fantasy settings?
>Why are square circles such a taboo in most fantasy settings?

You have no clue what the word taboo means

Oh look, another 14 year old is butthurt cuz he can't play a character with 18 in everything.

Actually in Tolkien's works non-humans have a variety of different personalities. Even orcs.

Orcs don't have personality in his books at all he even said he regrets the way he portrayed them.

>Citation need

>Taboo
An object located in australia which, when thrown, will return to the point where it was thrown. This made it an effective tool for hunting wildlife as you would have infinite ammunition.

Did you ever meet a smart onion?

That's wrong though.

youtu.be/zDifjcFJdDk

Because most fantasy settings are schlock. You want smart ogres in your setting? Do it, it's not like it's beyond the pale. Every single humanoid creature having the exact same intelligence is as retarded as every single humanoid creature having the exact same alignment, barring things like divine or demonic intervention at every instance of that race having a new child, which is a different kind of retarded.

>What are orgre mages in Baldurs Gate series?

I fucking hate oldschool RPGs I'm glad Skyrim revolutionized the genre.

What do we call these objects when they aren't in Australia? Or do they lose their ability to return to the point they were thrown when they aren't in Australia?

Wow, that's sure a lot of straw you fit into just a few strawmen, OP. Straw straw straw. Yadda yadda. Your bait is so weak I dont even have the energy to compose a fitting sarcastic reply.

>If you make a villain he should be at least threatening
So make a smart ogre if it bothers you so much faggot.

To be honest, ogres are scary because they don't need to be smart to wreck your shit, they can just tear your arms off. They're scary like great apes or neanderthals are scary.

>Orcs don't have personality in his books at all
Orcs have scenes where they talk to other orcs in almost all of his books. They have names and demonstrate personalities.

Personalities such as? ''I hate everything and my life is shit'' is not a personality it's what average user feels like.

In before Ogre blacksmith feels story.

Just read the Hobbit, Two Towers and Return of the King.

Or failing that, fuck off to /tv/, there should be an orcposting thread up somewhere. The maggoty bread scene was in the books and depicted pretty much all of the orcs march which characterized them quite well. They're rough and utilitarian with no love of humans and a dark sense of humor. Among them were orcs with differing opinions and they even managed to have an argument without someone getting killed (once).

Dont be so fast to make such generalizations. In many settings, the behaviors ogres/orcs exhibit are typically perceived as primitive by human/elf/dwarf/etc. However, upon closer examination, the functions are quite complex even if the appearance is savage.

Reading is for faggots.

Also the movie scenes are pretty much fanfic so lmao truly Tolkien is a great writer.

He's a fucking hack like Lovecraft and Stephen King I'm glad his dead I hope he is in hell.

How does that prevent you from playing the way that you want to play?
If you don't like traditional Ogres, why don't you just make up your own monster? Why even call them Ogres?
Y u so mad?

Since when Ogres can even be ''traditional''? In the old folklore they could speak, modern fantasy often depicts them as little more than animals so if anything traditional Ogres are the smarter ones.

Traditional D&D ogres. you know, what OP was talking about. don't be dense.

that's some pretty sharp edge you've got there

Don't know what you're talking about. In my setting, ogres are small and cunning. They are excellent miners and rely on traps to protect their dens. They worship dragons and believe they are descended from them.

Hugeness seems central to the ogre concept, moreso than being stupid, to me, but you do you, I guess.

kek well played user.

read it again, and think about it, he's mocking you

No, he only lamented portraying them all as evil (nothing to do with personality). And in fact he said that good orcs can exist, they just don't.

The scenes with orcs exist in the books.

Not sure if funny or stupid

>if they always stick to the same DnD cliches ''this race behaves always the exact same way because they apparently are clones, except humans they are special snowflakes and the only ones with actual personality''

Because that's the actual best way of playing fantasy races. They're not human, they don't have human thought processes.

There's no good way to resolve threads like this beyond "depends on the setting".

>they aren't "traditional" in this setting
>w-well that's a shit setting

>in my homebrew they're "like this"
>homebrew doesn't count!

And so on.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orc#In_literature_and_folklore
None of the examples from literature and folklore depict orcs as giant, it's mostly just D&D aping and people conflating orcs with ogres.

Neanderthals aren't that scary. We fucked them to death.

I assume that you are some manner of unknown armies mage who recharges his magic with either shitposts or (you)'s so here is one more. so that you can go and stay gone.

t. A fag who hasn't read Tolkien or his sons forewords in nearly every book.

I bet you don't even know what beren called luthien when he first saw her, you filthy casual.

I'm just ORIGINAL

I don't have Ogres as stupid. Just Lazy.

Sure an ogre could easily think of a way to make a working cistern system to store rainwater.

Or he could drink from a river. In fact, Aquaducts and sewers in my setting were invented by Ogres.

>Orc magic
>Has to be cast via a beating drum

every fucking time

Orcs in my setting have the capacity for intelligence and cleverness, just no need for it.

Why would you invent agriculture when you can eat far less and still remain strong through the harsh winter months?

Why would you sanitize water when your kidneys can process even the filthiest stagnant pond

Why would you ride horses when you can run nearly as fast and with much more agility and grace

What good is an iron weapon when your hands can tear wood from a tree

Why use armor when your wounds will heal in a matter of days

Appropriately the biggest threat an orc faces is another orc. They live solitary lives in forests and mountains keeping to themselves and rarely making contact with other races.

So they are kinda like trolls?

Mage ogres (or 'oni') at least are at least as smart as your average human.
One of the most setting-important characters in my setting was one-quarter mage ogre and had an INT of 16. He would have pretty much been the Obould Manyarrows of the setting had he lived through his war. As it was, he drug another king and a 700-year-old elven master assassin to hell with him and ended years of revolution in a matter of weeks.

Neanderthal had bigger brains than us, they were likely smarter.

brain size has little to do with intelligence

WORTHLESS DAMNED CUNT BITCH SHIT NIGGER NO TASTE GOAT HUMPING DEGENERATE MOTHERFUCKING WASTE OF OXYGEN /B/ TIER FAGGOT!!!!!!!! IT TAKES A FUCKING HELL OF A LOT TO PISS ME OFF BUT YOU'VE DONE IT!!!!!!!!

Tolkien was the shittiest writer of 20th century. Fuck England.

YOU DEGENERATE, INBRED, BASEMENT-DWELLING, MATRIARCH-DEPENDENT, SUBHUMAN PISS-LICKING, SHIT-EATING, WALKING, TALKING, BABBLING INCARNATION OF HUMAN RETARDATION! I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW THAT JOHN RONALD REUEL TOLKIEN IS THE UNDISPUTED END ALL BE ALL OF FANTASY LITERATURE! HIS WORK IS THE CORNERSTONE OF MODERN FANTASY, AND EVERY SINGLE WOULD-BE HACK OF A FANTASY NOVELIST IN THE LAST HALF CENTURY HAS DONE NOTHING BUT COPY EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ASPECT OF TOLKIEN'S MASTERPIECE, TO THE POINT THAT MIDDLE EARTH IS THE DEFAULT FANTASY SETTING! EVEN WITH A THOUSAND TIMES TEN THOUSAND CHEAP REPLICAS OF TOLKIEN'S LIFE'S WORK, NOT A SINGLE FUCKING SYLLABLE OF ANY OF THEIR SO-CALLED "LITERATURE" CAN DO SO MUCH AS COMPARE TO THE WORST OF TOLKIEN'S WRITING! HE WAS, IS, AND WILL FOREVER BE THE BEST OF THE BEST, AND NO ASPIRING CHARLATAN OF A NOVELIST WILL EVER SURPASS THE FAINTEST HINT OF HIS LEGACY! YOU IMBECILIC, DROOLING, FESTERING MAGGOT INFESTED FOOLHARDY, DRUNKEN, AUTISTIC SON OF A BRAGGART AND A FAGGOT!

I do, however, agree with your views on the United Kingdom.

Being the best fantasy writer is like being the least retarded kid in special ed class.

t. didn't pay attenion to the books or the world and just wanked about muh ebin heroes

>Why are smart Ogres such a taboo in most fantasy settings?

>proceeds to rant about cliches and shit without ever actually explaining why the fuck he thinks that ogres need to be smart or how they relate to villains and cliches

IF THAT'S YOUR FUCKING OPINION, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU HERE OF ALL PLACES!?!

This is a Dawn of War board and I enjoy DoW games. Fantasy is a piece of shit literally pop music of literature except at least some pop songs are catchy but every fantasy setting ever made is garbage
>DUDE A DRAGON/DEMON WANTS TO NO SCOPE US YOU NEED A TEAM CONSISTING OF A ROGUE WHO IS NOT EVEN AN ACTUAL CRIMINAL BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE INTERESTING, JOCK WARRIOR AND GANDALF RIP OFF''

lmao I will take a trip to England just to take a shit on Tolkien's grave

Warhammer 40k is literally a fantasy setting in space.