I'm considering running a Fate game. Is this a good idea? Is this a retarded idea?

I'm considering running a Fate game. Is this a good idea? Is this a retarded idea?
it seems like a very weird system.

Other urls found in this thread:

ryanmacklin.com/2014/10/fate-the-discover-action/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's ok, but you need players on board.

Just try it out if you're not sure. If you don't like it, you don't have to commit. Although in a different way, it's like GURPS in that you need a certain of kind of GMing. But you can do all kinds of games with it that you normally wouldn't be able to do well, like shonen stuff.

Also, Fate Accelerated Edition is something I've even been able to teach to and run with children, so I can confirm that's good. And it even has a pocket mod edition.

What exactly seems weird about it?
I find it merely unconventional and not even in a counter-intuitive way.

>Just try it out if you're not sure. If you don't like it, you don't have to commit.

When people say this I have to assume they've never actually played an RPG. Playing even one session of a new game requires both the GM to read and master the rules. Then you have to actually get the players on board, and if you can do that you need to make sure they know enough to actually create characters and play the game (good fucking luck getting them to actually read the rules). This is even harder with FATE since you can't just ask them what they want to do and have them roll dice, like you would when teaching any other system. If they don't know how to manage the FATE point economy or when and how to invoke aspects the game will grind to a halt almost immediately.

How much of a fucking fatass do you have to bee to think that's hard?

>find out about new system
>"yo guys, would you like to play a [whatever] tabletop game?
>read the book and all essential rules in about two or three nights tops
>pick a date

I've tried so many systems with my group that we end up forgetting about them sometimes and playing the same game for the first time twice.

Depends on how much you like game design. The core system has some neat stuff going on, and is very flexible genre wise. But the system feels incomplete, which is why they have so many optional rules.

Use Jadepunk or Atomic RobĂ´ if you want to loss your mind

*Don't want

Can confirm that Atomic Robot is fucking amazing.

Speaking of FATE...

How good is the Fate Freeport Companion book?

not everyone likes learning new systems, user-kun

Fate's a pretty alright system and I feel the aspects system really does a good job of getting players to act out their character's traits.

>His idea of a good time is spending a day or two reading a 300+ page textbook

Yeah okay pal

I find it preferable to being stuck playing 3.PF for all eterenity

The Fate Point Economy is broken as is and near superfluous. Aspects are only complicated when you try to use them as the whole of the mechanical system and realize they can't actually function in that way.

The core of the system is simple enough that it can be run when drunk around children. What Fatefags sell as the core of the system is broken to fuck.

>you can't just ask them what they want to do and have them roll dice
Why not?

>The Fate Point Economy is broken as is and near superfluous.
Elaborate.

I've just started running a game of FATE with a group of friends who aren't used to ttrpgs

> printed the first 50 pages if the rules but read all of them
> give those pages to my players
> read it through
> 'hey GM this seems really easy'
> start playing
> players derail the whole game by being retarded and shitty players

If you've got good players it'll be easy, and from my experience, Alot of fun.

Don't worry, he can't because every mention of it is based on false, incomplete, and malicious interpretations of the compel rules and how fate points are spent.

Fate is super fun as long as you (the GM) is okay with letting the players direct the tone and plot of the story.

Play with other GMs for best results.

> players derail the whole game by being retarded and shitty players
sounds like you were fucked from the start

Just played FATE yesterday. It's pretty fun, easy to do shit, generally, it's a very flexible system. Character creation is quick, maybe it'll take a little bit to explain how to do that, but it's easy to get.

Also you need to have at least one gorilla or it doesn't count.

It's a game for roleplaying junkies. How much you enjoy is going to depend on your ability to actively roleplay, and whether having a flexible, easy to learn system built around that makes up for a lack of any real crunch (and hey, that might be a positive in and of itself).
That's what I like about it, for all its faults (on a side note, it's hilarious seeing people complain about Fate because 9 times of 10 it's clear from what they complain about that they've never skimmed through the rulebook, let alone played it). Everything is about encouraging good roleplaying and characterization
What kind of retarded and shitty? Most new players need to get some things out of their system before they become decent roleplayers, in my experience. I know I made a few downright embarrassing murderhobos when I started

I think this is most pertinent since everyone is pulling weight/being narratively invested in Fate, or they're almost completely wasting their time.
But then, that seems really important to taking full advantage of any TTRPG.
Additionally, having GM experience is also useful if you're trying to be a better player in general.
Though, there's no doubt it's Fate's meta script-writing flow that benefits people who design story elements more frequently (i.e. a GM).

I know Atomic Robo is fantiastic, but I've never even heard of Jadepunk. Is there a pdf floating around?

Everyone needs to be on the same page for world character and mechanics for the game in question. Then it is a fun system.

I envy you.

So many systems I want to try...

>9 times of 10 it's clear from what they complain about that they've never skimmed through the rulebook, let alone played it
That's what it feels like with every single system argument on this board.

every system is amazing when you don't play them

Something about Fate is that it's meant to be run with the mindset that the player characters are amazing hypercompetent beings, even though the players themselves are usually on the far end of that, and they tend to make some mind-numbingly stupid choices.

You wanna run something outlandish and force the system down to its knees with fun houserules. I wouldn't say it's for every game even though I run it for every game, be it generic fantasy or 80s yakuza life.

Who else has had a look through Dresden Files Accelerated? I think it looks pretty good, though I can see the HUGE influence it had from Apocalypse World.

How so? I didn't know DA was out but the idea of marrying AW and Fate has been a desire of mine for a year or two.

One very important house rule I would recommend to any GM running Fate is to introduce a fifth action: discover.

Ryan Macklin explains here:

ryanmacklin.com/2014/10/fate-the-discover-action/
>If I could go back in time, I would add this to the ruleset.

Without the discover action, it is trivial to break the game through low-risk create an advantage actions under Empathy, Investigate, Lore, and Notice which stockpile free invocations.

You don't remember playing a system the first one?

Are you and the gang autists or just terrible gamers?

FATE is... weird... because it's a heavy gamist system masquerading as a light narrativist system. It works, but it works for a different type of player than the label says it works for. And frankly, you can avoid all the headache by using FUDGE instead, which is what FATE was before someone tacked on Aspects.

My personal house rule is to change a Success with Style Create an Advantage action result from a second Free Invocation to a Boost. It also makes Success with Style consistent across the board.

This still does not solve the underlying problem of low-risk Empathy, Investigate, Lore, and Notice create an advantage actions generating free invocations on a tie or a success, which are then easy to stockpile.

Introducing the discover action does, in fact, solve this.