Starfinder General Discussion

Alright everyone, get in here. We're gonna talk about our hopes for Paizo's Starfinder system.

For any d20 system, I'm always curious on how they plan to balance melee (like lightsabers and shit) vs ranged (probably laser guns). I feel like the gap should be larger and in favor of rapid fire blasters, etc. But I don't know.

General thoughts on if Paizo can pull off a good sci-fi system / setting?

>balance melee (like lightsabers and shit) vs ranged (probably laser guns)

There's the classic 40k style of reliability. Dodge capability overwhelms ranged targeting capability, thus resulting in melee being the most reliable method to put damage on the target.

There's also stuff like melee straight doing more damage, 'cause you've got a lightsaber stuck in you.

Maybe some strange psychic stuff to help dodging and striking?

What's the story of this? Is it "I took everything from everywhere, wizards in space" style? Because that can have a problem with longterm interest.

Paizo has been very vague about what they want to include in Starfinder and their forums are mostly just filled with people's theories and guesses.

Given their history, magic and psionics are probably going to be a major part of the setting. There is also some sort of side story about how the fantasy setting has disappeared and those gods are also missing.

So are we talking probably Shadowrun In Space? But with Pathfinder rules...

I want to play a savage that can shrug off laser fire and hit space marines with my rock on a stick. It makes me think that a class like savage should have some latent psychic abilities that make them more durability so they can stand toe to toe against the space man.

>a class like savage should have some latent psychic abilities
Literally an Ork. So I guess they could do that. Plot Armor Caveman, or PAC MAN for short. The partial redundancy indicates his low Int score.

Dunno yet really. I mean, Paizo has always had a more swashbuckler style attitude to their settings. Thinking we'll get something more like the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

I imagine I'm the only user here old enough to remember this...

Would love to RP an ork boy

How did that play? It's d10 right, so like a percentage based system?

Are there any good concepts that Paizo has created on their own that could push Starfinder to being the choice for a space RPG??

>Guardians of the Galaxy
Changing that to a hope for Bodacious Space Pirates base.

Shoujo slice-of-life sci-fi, go!

I do seriously wonder what Rovagug is going to be up to in Starfinder; since Golarion is supposed to have been destroyed, that means the Rough Beast is now out of his Cage, and that is SUPPOSED to be an 'entire universe scale' apocalyptic threat.

Maybe it'll be one of those things where there are many Rovagug's and that a part of space travel is to either avoid or prepare to fight creatures from the Outer Darkness

If I'm being honest they probably won't end up being the "Dungeons and Dragons of Sci-Fi Games" like they're hoping.

Most of the reason behind Pathfinder's success was because they came at the right time to exploit the butthurt of 3rd/3.5 edition players.

Given the number of Sci-Fi games that have come out in the past 50 years thinking that Starfinder will be the game to somehow change the non-ubiquity of Sci-Fi RPGs seems pretty arrogant on Paizo's part.

I've played and enjoyed both 5e and pathfinder, so I'm hoping for mostly a sort of Paizo flavored version of Spelljammer

You have to think back to when 4e was still the thing for D&D. Pathfinder was the only game accepted for a lot of groups back then. It really was a marketing exploit for butthurt 3.5 gamers.

Paizo needs to give us some real info soon. It feels like they have they big shit eating grin on every time I look at their Starfinder forums. They want us to hype it up for them, but they'd better a actually deliver something this time.

It says that Starfinder will be compatible with Pathfinder. Does that mean my laser gun deals the same damage as a repeating crossbow?

I kinda skipped 4e it seems, not by intent

They're probably banking on the success of Pathfinder to sell their product rather than showing anything for it. We'll see what happens but I don't really expect much from this game.

I wanted to play 4e back in the day but the group I was in basically told me to "Buy Pathfinder or get out"

Thank them for saving you.

To swim in shit

Given the fact that they were pretty shit at GM I'd say they really didn't. Everything was Random Tables. Everything.

>Everything was Random Tables. Everything.
But this is hilarious. You've just got to bask in it.
Ask him "but what will we roll THIS time?" constantly.

Still saved. Yeah.

I just hope it isn't copy pasta pathfinder with CSI if skin.

I think that's what Paizo wants honestly. Maybe we won't get full on magic, but psionic powers instead.

>Maybe we won't get full on magic
But the OP image literally says "spellhacking lashunta technomancer".

But maybe it'll be technomagic. With cyber bows and darkane arrows. Not sure I can take it.

I'm going to recreate my elf as an old woman who has likely used magic to prolong her life because even elves don't live the 'thousands of years' mentioned in the OP pic

Technomagic I can probably deal with, but like magic magic. I'm not so sure I'm ready for. I want my space setting to have science/nanomachine spells.

It was fun for a little while but eventually it got stale and boring, also there was a lot of time when we fought a Terrask or got mummy rot "for no raisin", and no one would run any other game. The DMs also had a bad habit of "Min-Max or GTFO" so having to memorize the rules to survive wasn't all that fun.

Elan.

There are going to actually be a number of ageless immortals who lived through the entire timeframe - and they're all going to be adventurers to the absolute core.

nope - I remember they ported every single race into 2nd Edition Spelljammers as PC available races!

So Jedi-like class/group. Yay or nay? I think there is a place for something like Jedi, but I don't really want it in Stafinder

>there are people who actually think this will be good

Considering Paizo's track record with Pathfinder this is going to be another unbalanced, broken shitshow. Maybe if they're starting from scratch it'll be okay, but if they're making it PF compatible then I doubt it.

Unfortunately this is going to be a success no matter what just because of name alone.

My main concern is if "muh backwards compatibility" is going to shoot them in the fucking foot again.

The Pathfinder CRB inherited a number of terrible grandfather clauses from 3.5 and the game was never allowed to move away from them because slaughtering sacred cows is not how Pathfinder became a thing, no matter how many tumors some of those cows have.

They have a new core they can start from scratch on, so on one hand I take some encouragement from the fact they clearly realized the fighter's core design was bullshit at some point even if they're too chickenshit to make bigger changes than throwing him some bones he still has to pay for.

But I'm worried, very worried, that they're still going to try and make it similar to the Pathfinder/3.5 Core Rulebook for class design, and you get a soldier class that can't do ANYTHING but shoot guns and a hacker class that can do anything. If they're still designing it so that one group of classes is the master of time and space and able to singlehandedly bring planets to their knees with a few gestures and nonsense words at level 20 while another group of classes has...a really, really good critical hit at level 20, I don't know how it could be a good game.

I'm worried trying to be backwards-compatible means the dogshit melee combat of 3.PF will endure despite the fact the concept of the full-attack consuming your standard and move action has been a garbage fire people have tried to work around for years...just so we can have fucking ogres on alien planets.

I just don't want one of my friends to try to play his sniper from Mass Effect and finding he's basically useless out of combat while one of my other friends makes a hacker or a space-wizard and remains fucking omnipotent by mid-level.

I've played a fighter/Barbarian in a long running PF game, been enjoying it overall, just a good GM or have I hit a sweet spot I didn't know about?

Probably good GM. Pathfinder's melee combat has been such a pain in my ass when I play with a GM who's trying to be tricky I've dispensed with it in disgust unless I have materials that let me pounce.

>[disco intensifies]
>how can Joanie love me if I do not truly love myself
>this monster is scary, but not scary enough that it requires me to shoot ice from three barrels

I was essentially guided to items to help mitigate my weaknesses, I tank damage and have taken feats to maximize my attacks per turn, occasionally I will be put in an encounter meant to exploit a weakness but that encouraged me to seek out how to cover it

FFG already did this, it was called Dragonstar. It was pretty dank for d20.

Spelljammer or Alternity?

This is explicitly a separate system from PF, and is "Evolved from Pathfinder." In other words, they're creating separating from classic PF in case this tanks.

However there's no doubt that this is their answer to 5e. 5e can't handle tech, so a sci-fi oriented setting is pretty attractive in that regard. in other words, I'm highly interested in seeing what they come up with system - wise more than anything else. This might just be the new system we're looking for.

Tech is the main thing I'm interested in here. It does serve as a big equalizer if magical guys are still doing magical bullshit and don't have to explain shit, but non-magical guys have sufficiently advanced science so the whole party can do crazy shit at later levels.

As long as they don't fuck up and make sufficiently advanced science a WBL thing so one guy has phenomenal cosmic power AND tech and one just has tech and some combat skills.

That's not even the main thing here. They anounce this 3 years after 5e, which is perfectly ample time to analyze the market, and realize that they've got to up the ante again.

This could be Paizo's attempt at fixing 3.PF, hopefully learning what they can from the 4e and 5e SRD to create a new refined system. If this turns out to be more than PF with Tech stuck on, it could be game-changing... literally. We could be seeing a Starfinder Society setup that works in competition with Adventurers League in bringing newbies into the system.

>This could be Paizo's attempt at fixing 3.PF
>Paizo does the opposite of their business model

>which is perfectly ample time to analyze the market
>Paizo putting effort into things

Honestly I cannot wait to see what they do for Spaceship combat. they've really done a lot to hype up the idea that everyone will have a different role when ship combat takes place. Hell, even if the rest of the game is mediocre if the ship combat rules are good I might just take those to use in other systems.

Paizo is first and foremost a business, as are all gaming companies. Until the release of 5e they were pretty much ahead in the D20 Fantasy RPG system market for a very long time.

However, 5e is popular. Really popular, and it's tapping into the newbie market rather well. People are getting into RPGs, and you see more and more groups discussing on making the switch to 5e.

Paizo's been lazy because they could afford to be. Now though, we might just see some effort on their part.

>Paizo does the opposite of their business model
Which is why Starfinder is a separate project, not Pathfinder Next.

Do they have different devs working on Starfinder while the ordinary team continues on Pathfinder?

Because that is easily the most exciting part of Starfinder

It's unclear. I mean, I really hope a new team is working on Starfinder, but they haven't said much of anything about it yet.

The brand name alone will make sales.

Not saying it'll be good, but the Paizo name alone will move copies and more pirated PDF's.

There's a distinction between enjoyable and balanced. It's entirely possible for one to have fun playing even the most gimped of characters, especially if you get into RP stuff with other characters and develop personalities and in-jokes. But in the end, that doesn't change the fact that not all characters are created equal in terms of what they can do.

I love the idea for FTL travel
> In our game, faster-than-light travel is a fairly recent phenomenon," Sutter said. "A few centuries ago, a collective of artificial intelligences became so complex that they literally ascended to godhood, in the process discovering (or creating) a new dimension reachable only through their proprietary technology.

Called the Drift, this hyperspace-style dimension connects every point in the galaxy and allows you to travel quickly between them, but every time you jump through it, it rips off chunks of the afterlife — places like Heaven and Hell — and adds them to itself. So sometimes when you make a jump to a distant star, you find yourself confronting a bunch of pissed-off demons and the crumbling ruins of their throne room, or maybe a flight of angels angry at being trapped in this shapeless void. And of course, a lot of the older gods aren't too keen about this upstart machine god cornering the market on interstellar travel, or using it grow its own domain at their expense.

Xiombarg would approve.

>what is a black blade magus
>what is a soulknife
>what are brilliant energy weapons wilded by psions

Spelljammer first, Alternity later.

>not realizing that the Tier 3 classes were the fix that PF needed
>not realizing their 'fix' has been going on this entire time
>not realizing that PF took the slow, careful, considered solution that WotC didn't take to fix 3.5
Not very observant of you.

They already said its perfectly compatible with pathfinder.

I believe they said it would be compatible, but you'd need a conversion guide or something; with the implication that it's not 'perfectly' compatible.

Probably with some cavit of "If you are using starfinder weapons in pathfinder they doe x100 damage."

The "Conversion" will probably be something like "Patfinder weapons do half damage and starfinder weapons do double damage." I dont expect a whole lot of a change.

Golarion was not destroyed. It vanished. Completely gone from space. It vanishing also wiped out all records of it and memory of it. One day everyone woke up and they all realized SOMETHING was missing but had no idea what. Whole histories of nations was wiped out and no one knows how or why or that it happened only that something is missing. Something important.

In mechanical terms everything from pathfinder or connected to pathfinder is now gone and has no baring on starfinder but it is the same universe.

>Starfinder General Discussion

What is there to discuss? As far as I know they haven't released any real information.