I'm thinking of getting into miniature wargaming, what would you recommend? Additionally...

I'm thinking of getting into miniature wargaming, what would you recommend? Additionally, are there any wargames that support more than 2 players simultaneously?

I don't recommend 40k, but if you're into that I suggest Kill Team. Age of Sigmar, for all its faults, might actually be an okay first foray if you can afford it. X-Wing or Imperial Assault are very big right now, so it's a fair bet you can get a game of those damn near anywhere.

If not, there's always Guildball, Malifaux, Infinity, and a dozen other games, but there needs to be a player base set up for them if you actually want to play with someone. Be sure to check out the local scene and see what's being played or if you can drum up interest there or with friends. Overall, players should be priority unless you just want to be painting and sculpting all the time.

Age of Sigmar's pretty fun easy to pick up, but it's quite controversy laden since people still can't get over that WHFB died to make it

40k has all above, play games with nice people and you'll learn quickly.

40K has the coolest fluff and the best models for sure, but Age of Sigmar is by far easier to pick up and play for a first timer.

4 pages of rules vs hundreds. Do you want to actually play your first 10 or so games, or spend all your time pausing to read the rules?

Your picture implies that you already know the answer, and you do.

Play SISTERS OF BATTLE.

I'm intrested in wargaming, but I'm not really a fan of the design and price of 40K. I just chose the spess marine because it was the most recognizable wargaming image I could think of.

>the most recognizable wargaming image I could think of
Yes. It is.

That said, there are low model count armies at lower price. But. Miniwargaming is an expensive hobby in general.

But I guess there's always army men stuff. Depends on what design and style of wargame you want.

If you're interested in 40k-like games for more than 2 players, I'd recommend THW's 5150.

It's a SF skirmish game that supports same-side gaming - as well as solo & opposing games.

Best part of it is that the games themselves are fairly quick - I've had (in THW's fantasy game) smaller skirmishes resolved within 30 minutes - while larger fights last up to (as advertised) two hours tops.

>recomending AoS and Kill Team instead of X-wing and Infinity
GW shill, pls.

I say Kings of War, if you have a local community for it.

I might recommend you start small with some fun skirmish games before jumping into the big stuff. Frostgrave is fun, but Infinity is good otherwise.

IT'S TIME FOR THE 'I WANT TO GET INTO WARGAMING BUT DON'T KNOW HOW' CHECKLIST!

First off, what are you interested in playing? A historical conflict or style of conflict? Science Fiction in general? Fantasy? A specific setting? Action films? Pulp Drama? Pick the genre or the setting first!

Now, what kind of wargame do you want to play? Mass battles? Skirmishes between a handful of people? Company level actions? Naval warfare? Space fighters? Pick the level of conflict you want!

Now pick a scale! Some scales lend themselves to certain things better; 6mm is best for mass battles, 28mm for skirmish, etc.

Now with all of those factors, put your information into google or whatever. So something like sci-fi mass battles 6mm or 18th century naval 1/1200 and you should get a ruleset pop up!

>jumping into the big stuff.
You mean..?

don't full buy into 4000 points of 40k

in fact don't full buy into any system

grow your army over time no matter the system. It is much easier to stay motivated, and it keeps you from committing before you know what it is you really want

>But. Miniwargaming is an expensive hobby in general.

Not true. Even if there is no upper limit, tjere are plenty of ways to have cheaper hobby. Either have fewer models or smaller scale, for instance. Or just paint what you have before hoarding new minis.

but user you don't understand

15 dollars in MTG boosters every week and 200 dollars every new edition is cheap as fuck compared to buying one 40 dollar kit a week

Historical can be very cheap. I'm picking up some 1/1200 Napoleonic frigates for some summer gaming with general appeal amongst my friends from home.

Not a GW game. They're awful ruleswise, and the models, while nice, are stupidly overpriced.
Kings of War, Infinity, Dropzone Commander, X-Wing, historicals etc are where to go

>Infinity is shit
>X-Wing doesn't even pretend to do scale properly
I can't imagine why he left them out.....

>>Infinity is shit
>>X-Wing doesn't even pretend to do scale properly
>GW fan talking about shit and game scale

Almost all X-Wing models are scaled properly with a few exceptions (A-wing and huge ships) so stop talking out of your ass

>Meanwhile a firewarrior is the same size as a space marine

Highly recommend Dropzone and Dropfleet Commander if you're looking at smaller-scale mass battle games.

Both have fairly straightforward rulesets and good faction balance, though Dropzone has some issues with older models being overshadowed by newer ones ehich will hopefully get resolved soon. The models are gorgeous and though Dropzone is a bit pricey per model due to resin minis you can build a 'Zone army for about 200-250 and a Fleet for about 150. The games also have rules for playing them together since they share the setting; Dropzone is the ground component, taking cities and objective, while Dropfleet centers on deploying troops to ground locations en masse.

The setting is fun if not revolutionary: 160 years ago humanity got fucked by a parasitic species call the Scourge and lost control of all the Cradle Worlds, aka the ones you'd actually want to live on. The 1% or so that escaped found themselves on the shitty border colonies and decided to spend the next century and a half turning their entire society towards the effort of Reconquest. They launched a series of surprise attacks with tens of millions of troops and thousands of ships and have managed to take two worlds so far, though now the Scourge have found the colonies and attacked two key worlds.

Meanwhile a group of humanity that left before the Scourge showed up are back as cyborgs following an alien AI and calling themselves the Post Human Republic. They didn't want the colonies to attack and now seem to randomly help or hinder the rest of humanity while they pursue their own goals. There's also a warrior race of aliens called the Shaltari that have crazy teleporting tech and seem to just show up to fuck around sometimes.

The story progresses with each expansion (two so far for Dropzone pushed the plot 300 days forward each, Dropfleet does another 100 days past that). That said they read more like military reports or history than narrative and the characters that appear in short blurbs throughout the books rarely show up again so there aren't any characters yet to really latch on to. Dropzone has Famous Commanders which get unique models and rules for non-tournament games but even they don't show up much outside of their model entries and descriptions. Dropfleet should be getting Famous Admirals eventually.

Why do so many people feel like wargames need a really defined story? Isn't half the appeal that you are writing the story yourself, and with your friends, through your games?

Not saying you necessarily are thinking like this, but your comments about there not being that much narrative or persistent characters made me think about it.

I'm not sure, but I've pitched the game before and had people tell me they couldn't get into it because of that.