Recommend Veeky Forums movies

recommend Veeky Forums movies.

I don't mean stuff like the gamers, I mean stuff like conan.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_movies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pirates of the carribean is pretty Veeky Forums if you think about it.

Princess Bride, mostly because it's a great way to see what characters you can steal.

The Discworld movies are also good for a laugh and fir its silly nature.

Pirates of the Caribbean is also good, though only really the first. After that you can watch more if you really want to see more of Jack Sparrow.

The Matrix and Terminator for you Sci-fi stuff.

My personal recommendation is House of Flying Daggers, great wuxia movie. Also I recommend Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Both of these are great wuxia. Just watch them for an idea of that kind of action.

Apart from that, go nuts.

Here, user. The list is pretty good and generally all what you are asking about:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Approved_movies

Shame they are so bad

>House of Flying Daggers
Fuck, I knew I forgot to throw something to the approved list

>you can watch more if you really want to see more of Jack Sparrow.
>he didn't watch them to see more of barbossa

>They've both watched bad films for bad characters

I can genuinely say fuck you user, barbossa was glorious and pretty much justified his presence in the series with the end of the first movie, and while the movies really derped out with their pointless combat the amount of intersecting subplots was still a fun trainwreck to spectate

Also
>implying you are in any position to say what movies are good or bad besides "I liked this/didn't like that"

The Duellists should really be Veeky Forums approved. It's pretty much about an upstanding young officer in a historical setting having to deal with That Guy for years.

This is more for people who played some old ass RPG in the consoles, but the Yoshihiko series is pretty awesome

>The Hero Yoshihiko
90% of my campaigns are basically this show.

Stardust

user, PotC and M&C came out the same year.
Do I really need to add anything else?

Agreed, adding

My usual GM pays as much attention to the game as the Buddha does

Le Pacte des Loups would be pretty fitting I think.

That's almost like comparing We were soldiers and Tropic Thunder. You obviously watch each movie for a different reason and you should approach them with a different mindset

Followed by Crimson Rivers, yes!

Speaking of which - is Snowpiercer on the list?

If you're a fan of Warhammer Fantasy, I'd recommend "Flesh and Blood", a Verhoeven film about a group of late medieval mercenaries.
It's weirdly comic, tonally inconsistent, violent and bizarre. I actually strongly disliked it the first time I saw it, but it's grown on me since then.

"Starship Troopers" is hilarious mil SF. Mandatory viewing for 40k fans and fans of space militaries generally.

While by far not a good film, "Clash of the Titans" the re-make version has some fun special effects and amusing fantasy concepts. I particularly liked the wooden cyborg desert people.

If you're in the mood for some of the classics, "Jason and the Argonauts" and "The Golden Voyage of Sinbad" are fun Harryhausen adventure films with cute stop-motion monsters. "Sinbad" even features Tom Baker as a power mad sorcerer whose spells slowly ravage his body the more he uses them, very Conan in nature.

"Last of the Mohicans" is also an excellent adventure film in the classical mold, with some cool battles and skirmished on the American frontier.

The Duelists is a wonderful film. You have good taste, user.

Azumi is basically

>Orphan PC is somehow extremely good at fighting with swords

Backstory material.

user, I can't NOT hate a movie where they are making a turn over an anchor in the middle of high sea.
I sail too much to endure something so bad as PotC. And then came the sequel, which as far as I care, could take place on land and drop the "pirate" part completely for all that's important.

Besides, since everyone went for PotC, barely anyone in States came to see M&C. And since it was early 00s, studios still were fully focused on American market rather than international, so they've cancelled possibility of other M&C films.

Saying I'm bitter it's an unterstatement.
And that still doesn't make PotC good. The first one was average, but the rest was simply bad. Yet they are STILL dragging this shit. But at least even die-hard fans are questioning it now, so I can have my triumph finally.

I like you, user. And I like your taste.
But most importantly, I like the fact I can finally add something new to the list

Bro, really, chill. I have ten years of martial arts and have taught them for three, yet I still can watch a movie about them without going full sperg.

Told you, I'm bitter they've cancelled M&C over such piece of shit like PotC. That's a wound that won't heal.
Watching bad film can be fun.
Knowing a bad film is a reason why a good film wasn't made is another story.
Having to endure at the table people who came to play maritime game because PotC is just torture for me as a GM

Why on earth would you want a Master and Commander sequel? Sequels are for bad stupid fun movies like pirates of caribbean, actual good movies only get ruined by sequels.

Not him, but the only way and reason I've watched PotC films (at least the first three) was because:
- I was in my late teens
- third film just came out
- my friend was a massive fan and pirated all three
- his parents weren't home, so we had a wild party which finished with an all-night PotC marathon
- I was drunk, thus much more accepting than normally to his film choice (we are talking about a guy who adores Sucker Punch)

And I still say anything past film was pointless and boring, while the first film itself was so-so.

Are you aware there are 21 books in the Aubrey–Maturin series, and they've just picked two of them (M&C and Far Side), while cramming trivia from half of the series around?
I don't want a sequel in a traditional sense. I want a movie series.

Duck, You Sucker! and Cross of Iron

>Sequels are bad
Lethal weapon, Die hard (at least first 3), Indiana Jones, Mad Max and few other series would like to say hello to you.

What is bad is making a remake or prequel or in any other way create a work with a few years or decades since the last film was made.

No, I wasn't aware of that. It kinda changes everything and makes me want to somewhat join your rage.

I will research more on those other books, that's for sure.

Literally all the movies you mentioned are comparable to pirates of the caribbean. Stupid fun movies.

But their sequels aren't bad. And PotC sequels are fucking horrible.

Well then now you should get at least part of my pain. We missed what could be THE biggest adventure and maritime series in history of cinema, instead getting bogged down with some half-witted, progressively less fun fantasy about freedom-fighting pirates, defenders of the democracy. Or focusing the entire story on a supporting character, because hey, what could possibly go wrong if you make a quirky sidekick the main character

13 Assassins
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
Audition 1999
Bunraku
Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things
Cockneys vs Zombies
Curse of the Undead
Dark City 1998
Death Race
Dead in Tombstone
Doomsday
Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell
Infection 2004
Lake Mungo
Man Bites Dog
Meatball Machine
No Man's Land
Red Sun
Taegukgi The Brotherhood of War
Tetsuo The Iron Man
The Legend of Boggy Creek
Tokyo Gore Police
Trollhunter
Vampire Girl Vs Frankenstein Girl
Versus
Wasting Away
Westworld
Wild Zero

Funny how all of those films that you listed only had one good sequel (Lethal Weapon 2, Temple of Doom, Road Warrior).

I said sequel
Singular.
So yeah, funny how my words are true and you've failed semantics

Also
>Mixing so many good films with so many ourtright shitty ones
My eyes! My fucking eyes!

>Doomsday
>Trollhunter
Adding to the list

>Doomsday
Is it really as good as everyone says? It just looks like Mad Max in Scotland.

>Audition 1999

You should have already become used to pathetic emotional attachements when discussing anything in Veeky Forums.

That's only because, while entertaining, Pirates of Caribbean is worst than Indiana Jones or Die Hard (always talking about the first). And while Jack Sparrow was somewhat fun to a degree, Johny Depp is a shit actor compared to Bruce Willis or Harrison Ford.

But in the end they're all more related to each other than with Master and Commander, a movie with a very different vibe, I'll say.

Netflix's Marco Polo has was pretty decent Mongolian barbarian stuff. Second season was entertaining, but from a idea steal perspective you can stop watching at the end of the first season.

Changing the subject completely, I think people are forgetting how fucking GREAT first Die Hard is, while most of them never really saw the film and are rather thinking about sequels when discussing it. I mean the whole point of Die Hard was how John is your average guy, a TRULY average guy that barely scraps through it. By the third film (which is almost as good as the original, mind you) he's some sort of super cop.
Pretty much the same thing as with First Blood, which was a pretty dark drama about a war veteran that suffers an outburst due to PTSD, while the series is mostly related with the shitty sequel, with explosions, absurd weapon uses and one action sequence chasing another.

Forged when the world was young, and bird and beast and flower were one with man, and death was but a dream.

The Beastmaster is a grade B fantasy movie that's actually good.

Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Works great for Fantasy, but even better as a pseudo-fantasy setup for Sci-fi and steampuke.

I blame the "action movie" stereotype.

I mean, I'm the first to admit they're all mostly just dumb fun, but there's ways and ways to do an action movie.

>BotW
>Steampunk
Non-figurately kill yourself

Starcrash is awesomely bad.

Escape from New York is a cult classic.

Kenny Starfighter is a top tier comedy space opera.

Sadly it's in Swedish. It might have english subs though.

>House of Flying Daggers
Great artistry in some scenes, overall a terrible wuxia movie and a terrible movie.

>Johny Depp is a shit actor compared to Bruce Willis or Harrison Ford.

The Thing

>inb4 hurr durr the book was better

>The Thing
I was literally just about to post that. So I guess I'll just mention the 1st two Alien movies, and, to a lesser extent, the Predator movies. Not, however, the Alien vs. Predator movies.

Flash Gordon is pretty good sci-fi 80s cheese.

The book wasn't better. And the film deliberately played on the plot of the book, changing who was replaced and who not.

>muh film elitism

Anyway I'm just going to recommend Snatch.

>Snatch
>Not just Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barells
You know, call it elitism, but then there is also the fact your taste sucks.

On the other hand, both should be on the list, thanks for reminding

Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's a wonderful clash of action, mystery and period drama that is longer and better than it has any right to be.

Layer Cake, you cunts. One of two movies where Craig doesn't suck

And you are a 3rd person throwing it in. 4th, if we count the user with the full list.

so is cheddar.

The Dark Crystal

The Good, The Bad, The Weird

Korean ending cut!

I remember all the gymnastics it took to first convince my local cinema to run the film and then get there when it was screened.

Worth it

Stargate. Not the TV-movies, but the very thing that started the entire franchise. It's one of those "so bad, it's great" films.
Alternatively, just watch it with friends and lots of beer.

My two favorites for Deadlands:

The Burrowers (2008)
Ravenous (1999)

Both chock full of side characters, the awesome kind and the fucked up kind, to toss into campaigns as NPCs.

Ravenous is fucking epic. It's one of those films that not only comes with great twists, but also is so good that you can still enjoy it fully on rewatch, since a shitload of things in turn are made to be a rewatch bonus.

Speaking of rewatch bonus and twists - The Disappearance of Alice Creed. People should learn how to build stories relying on details watching this masterpiece.

I will repeat myself like a broken record - have you seen by chance the cut scene with Reich from the DVD release?

But you can't use Ravenous for Deadlands. We had this discussion quite recently. You see, Deadlands by default assumes everyone is familiar with supernatural within the setting and it's just part of the life for characters. Ravenous is all about superstition and legends being maybe real, maybe not, but the sole possiblility comes as a great shock to pretty much anyone.

Still very good film, regardless of anything.

War of the Worlds: Goliath|
---------------------------------------
20 years after the events of war of the worlds the earth has recovered from the martian attack. But the martians have adapted and seek to conquer earth when it is at its most divided.

basically on the cusp of WW1 the martians attack again. features mechs, rocket powered biplanes, zeppelins, and historical cameos.

>I'm practically Legolas over here

"superstition and legends being maybe real, maybe not, but the sole possiblility comes as a great shock to pretty much anyone" IS Deadlands. It's ENTIRELY about people discovering old legends aren't legendary and that scaring the shit out of them.

If in your setting people are all like "oh look a vampire, pass the garlic," you're doing it wrong.

Not him, but he kinda has the point about the difference between those two settings. But I would rather put it on the scale, rather than familiarity.
You see, by the end of Ravenous, there is nobody left, aside Martha, who knows about what happend and that wendigo myth is real. In Deadlands, while a lot of freaky stuff is going around, it's a public knowledge. People might be freaked out by it, but they at least know.

Sounds like a piece of shit to me.

>In Deadlands, while a lot of freaky stuff is going around, it's a public knowledge
Not necessarily. Plenty of monsters want to keep their shit on the down low, and at least two major organizations exist solely to keep people in the dark about the freaky shit.

I literally never see this in these lists so

HANZO THE RAZOR is essentially the best possible version of a That Guy campaign.

There are 3 of these movies, and they center around samurai dirty harry with the world's biggest dick.

His dick is important.

Jesus fucking Christ, are you obnoxious for some purpose, or it's just autism.
WHO GIVES A FUCK about secret societies, when it's general knowledge dead can walk again? You are missing the point so fucking hard it's not even funny.

>He only played the new editions

Just wanna point out these are Armenian woman going to war against the Ottomans in 1895, not pirates.

>when it's general knowledge dead can walk again?
It's not general knowledge the dead can walk again.

It's not general knowledge that wendigos exist.

If players are biting at the first bit of magical Indian exposition that gets thrown their way, the GM needs to run more red herring adventures.

>his dick is important.
Isn't he the one who rapes women?
If not, I really forget who is. I was on a Japanese samurai flick binge a few months back.

Yes. He rapes all the women. The movies are 6 hours of gloriously trumpeting misogyny in it's most hilarious form.

user, if you think anyone plays Deadlands for anything else than being, well, Deadlands, then you are doing it wrong.

>He plays introductionary adventures
I wonder what you gonna do when a player shows up with a scrapper and you want to make a "Silverado" rip-off scenario.

>Silverado
Now what's a Veeky Forums film!

Wizards of the Demon Sword.

I'm not a big fan of fantasy RPGs, but if I played one, I'd want it to be just like The 13th Warrior.

So an almost-real-world low fantasy?

The Princess Bride, because it's fucking amazing and if you haven't seen it you're doing life wrong.

The Count of Monte Cristo (I've only seen the 2002 version) because revenge is a dish best served BY THROWING EVERYONE IN THE DEEPEST PITS OF HELL

Mad Max: Fury Road, because you need to base your cultists on something and these ones are pretty good.

Machete Kills, if you want to run some sort of stupidly amazing (or amazingly stupid) campaign

Primer, because if you understand it you will understand your DM's mind

Stardust, because it's rad, and has pretty cool shit that doesn't need to be explained

Snowpiercer, for how railroading (heh) can be a good thing

Hellboy and The Cabin in the Woods, because you needed to design some monsters still

>The Count of Monte Cristo (I've only seen the 2002 version) because revenge is a dish best served BY THROWING EVERYONE IN THE DEEPEST PITS OF HELL
Watch French mini-series from the late 90s. The closest we ever get to the book. And it's absolutely epic.

Anyone who says they understand Primer is lying.
Especially if they only saw it once.

>Tetsuo The Iron Man
>Audition
>Tokyo Gore Police
>Wild Zero
you have excellent taste in asian film, user

It took me 5 watches and I now understand about 90% of it. Fucking hell I love that movie.

>Temple of Doom
>good

The Three Musketeers 1973 version and it's companion film The Four Musketeers are worth watching on how to portray villains properly.
I still say that the 1975 version of the Count is better.

>Temple of Doom
>Bad
When this meme will finally die?

does the guy on the right EVER wear different clothes in films? jesus

I still remember how I saw it for the first time, puzzled as fuck. Went straight to take shower, because it was late... and then it hit me WHAT was making the noises in the attic. I ended up rewatching the entire film 5 minutes later.

Next day my boss asked me who's birthday it was, because I didn't sleep most of the night, drawing diagrams and looked like with a massive hangover.