$$$ Competitive Modern General Magic: the Gathering M:TG MTG $$$

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Nobody made one so I had to edition

Previous Thread
RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Common Modern - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Jund
>Bant Eldrazi
>Infect
>Affinity
>Dredge
>Burn
>Gx Tron

Uncommon Modern - Decks You Should Know About
>Junk
>Merfolk
>Jeskai Nahiri
>Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dek)
>Suicide Bloo (KilnFiend.dek)
>GR Breach Titan
>GR Scapeshift
>Eldrazi & Taxes
>Grixis Delver
>Grixis Control
>Ad Nauseam
>Abzan Company

Rare Modern - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Blue Moon
>Lantern Control
>Jeskai Control
>Death & Taxes
>Jeskai Midrange
>RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
>RW Prison (Sun&Moon)
>RG Ponza
>Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)
>8-Rack (Also Bushwhacker Zoo)
>Bant Spirits
>Elves
>WB Tokens
>Mardu Nahiri
>Esper Control
>RUG Delver
>Soul Sisters
>Bogles (GW Enchantments/Hexproof)
>Grishoalbrand
>Living End
>Knightfall
>Goblins/8-Whack
>Kiki Chord
>Pryomancer's Ascension
>Faeries
>Duskmantle Mindcrank Mill / other UB Mill

Mythic Modern - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Esper Teachings
>Grixis Cruel Control
>Timewalks
>Ux Tron
>Martyr-Proc
>Amulet Titan
>Allies
>5C Humans
>Mono G Stompy
>Bx Infect
>Green's Sun's Zenith
>Jeskai Ascendancy
>Angel Moon
>Ritual Gifts
>Someone playing last year's standard deck

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#online
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Should I sell all my old magic cards?

Ban fetches.

Yeah.

How old are they
Why does someone always think fetches should be banned?

because they're frontier memelords

>because they're frontier memelords
How does playing frontier = ban fetches?

They add a significant cost to most decks and shuffling costs time thats better spent actually playing the game.

>Still copying the legacy pasta
Make a fucking effort and look the top decks in modern Nexus, fag

suck my dick faggot

You don't even have one, faggot

good thing i've got a nice big ass you can tongue, gaylord

The only thing your ass is good enough is to be my cocksleeve, don't worry tho, i will use lube

Thread is trash. Mods plz delete

Modern nexus metagame share % hasn't been updated in over 3 months dude. That shit is OUTDATED>

You almost got me

For the guy who was saying Esper charm sucks in Esper Control: what should I replace them with?

That guy is a midrange faggot talking out his ass, Charm is the whole reason to go Esper at all in a control deck.

Going to build Enduring Ideal. Wish me luck.

Esper Charm is good. The instant-speed discard can be super powerful. At worst it's good draw.

>Wish me luck.
You're gonna fucking need it lad.

I know, but jank is my fetish. Considering MB Blood Moons.

I haven't seen an Enduring Ideal list in ages, the plan until you cast Ideal is a Ghostly Prison/Runed Halo pillow fort, right? If it is you can enjoy swimming in Dredge tears, at least.

Essentially. You also have MB Leyline of Sanctity to fuck with some decks and Porphyry Nodes as removal early on. Nykthos for mana.

I might try moving away from Form of the Dragon and try something like Searing Meditation as a wincon instead. Maybe run something spicy like Shining Shoals in the SB.

Esper Charm is literally the only reason to choose Esper over Grixis or Jeskai lmao

What's more pimp onslaught fetches or expeditions?

Depends on whether most of your cards are in old border or not.

I just want ad nauseam to have a solid turn 2kill. Is that too much to ask. Why does infect cancer get it. Make modern great again unban chrome mox and red rituals

delete your life

Yeah it's not like dredge has access to green or anything

Yeah it's not like Enduring Ideal has Greater Auramancy mainboard.

Enduring ideal is shit. You can have your fun if thats what you want but don't try to pretend its a comp viavle deck. Dredge is. Not the guy tou were replying to btw.

>but don't try to pretend its a comp viable deck. Dredge is.
Yes, and? This has nothing to do with what their individual MU looks like. Ideal will get raped by Tron and any number of other decks but it might do well against Dredge.

That guy was essentially saying it "dies to removal" which is a useless statement.

$$$ How $$$ many $$$ fucking $$$ dollar $$$ signs $$$ do $$$ you $$$ need $$$ in $$$ the $$$ OP $$$ ? $$$

$$$

To be fair, I've seen a lot less people looking for feedback on budget (read: shit) decks since people started doing that.

Ad nauseam is even more cancerous than infect, please kill yourself

I know this is a little bit of a pointless question but have you ever played dredge?

Not fucking enough. A lot of people think that for some reason the modern threads are a great place to post their kitchen table decks. Now if only we could actual tier lists back

>Ad nauseam is cancerous
>literally the only true combo deck in the format
>always alows the opponent to prepare for minimum 4 turns
>loses to 1 well played counterspell
>loses to true aggro

Is the fat starting to accumulate perivascularly around your cerebral arteries lad?

CHROMO MOX RITE OF FLAME UNBAN WHEN?

Why does nobody try putting blood moon in an aggressive deck? Pretty much all decks that play right now are control decks.

I've played it lots of time in Modern amd Legacy.

I will admit that my assumption that Ghostly Prison has game comes more from Legacy where E-Tutor->Prison is gg.

>Pretty much all decks that play right now are control decks.
?????

Are you in the wrong thread? This is the Modern thread

there was an implied "it" in there, I'm sure

blue moon
sun and moon
skred
ponza

None of these decks is anywhere near aggro and I'd argue the only one that isn't control is r/g ponza.

It was a typo yeah, could've deduced that from the first sentence.

Considering counter spells are literally unplayable in modern I don't consider that a weakness. It can't be interacted with meaningfully in any other way

oh yeah it makes a lot more sense with an "it" in there. I've seen stupider things posted here than "modern is nothing but control"

Well in that case, 3 mana is a lot for aggro in modern so that's a reason. Also some affinity decks side blood moon

Find a flaw

the card's flavour is way too goofy for how good the card is

I always call it Fitchen Kings in my head.

I think it fits. They're meant to be a nuisance and hard to get rid of

Always liked GW beatdown decks in Standard, and love playing Maverick in Legacy. Don't have a Modern deck yet. How worthwhile is GW Hatebears?

If you weren't bad and actually put in some reps with the deck you'd know that you can interact with the deck by stripping their hand and destroying the artifacts. Also shit like Rule of Law/Ethersworn Canonist/Chalice on 0 and 1 also work in slowing them down long enough.

GW hatebears is usually played as D&T in modern. GW D&T is viable in modern but way weaker than the mono W legacy counterpart.

I had a question about spell stacking,
So in a game of magic I had a friend target one of my creatures (creature doesn't matter)
I use Mother of Runes to protect the creature against anything green, he then use uses the same green spell (different card though) and targets the same monster.
He says that the spell stack trumps mother of runes because of spell stacking, but I don't understand because I already protected that monster against green for the rest of the turn and the spell didn't do anything to negate that effect.

Am I right where the Mother of Runes still protects the monster, or is he right about the spell stack?

I have it in my Affinity sideboard. I still feel sorry for the poor bastard playing his all non-basic manabase when I dropped it first turn.

>This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play

he's right. you have to think of it like what it is: a stack.

he casts Green Spell targeting your Creature. In response, you use mother of runes to target your Creature giving it protection from Green. This goes "on the stack" on top of the green spell, which hasn't resolved yet. In response to you activating Mom, he casts another Green Spell targeting your Creature, which then goes on the stack on top of the Mom ability. Once everyone's done doing everything, stuff starts resolving in reverse order, basically from the top of the stack downward: i.e., his Green Spell resolves, then your creature gets Pro Green (if it's still there) and the first Green Spell fizzles since creature is pro green now.

>He plays green spell targeting your creature
>In response to target you activate Mom's ability to give that creature protection from Green
>In response to you activating Mom's ability he casts green spell again targeting the creature that you are targeting with Mom's ability.

Stack resolves in his favor.

Common misconception with mom. the color for protection is not chosen until resolution. If he asks what color of protection, the ability is assumed to resolve.

True facts B. But I assume any half-decent player knows to respond to the target rather than ask what color he's choosing for protection, since the pro-color choice would be obvious.

>blood moon in mono red goblins

Yes/No?

Of course. Let's you punish greedy manabases.

but...it's not a goblin.
let me guess, you run lightning bolt alongside tarfire?
"mono red goblins" my ass.

Yea man, get those vials outta merfolk! Why is coco in elves!?

Here's a hint, you're retarded

bans unbans when? any chance we get viable cards that arent creatures ever again?

January. And I'm sure they'll print something.

yeah and then ban it because "turn 4 rule"

the only thing they'll print is some more more things for jund

Does Bloodmoon put Goblins in play?
No? Then how can you compare them to Aether Vials and CoCo when the purpose of those cards is to create "tempo" by putting creatures in the battlefield at an increased rate?

Is there a place that has winrates of modern decks in mtgo?

Not win rates, but mtg gold fish has the % of decks going 5-0 in competitive leagues
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#online

Nothing to really add. Found this in a Canadian Walmart. Thought it was funny enough to share.

(You)

I have room for two cards and in my eldrazi 'nd taxes and I can't decide between kitchen finks, blade splicer, brain maggot, wall of resurgence and wall of omens....

>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#online
thats % of the total metagame no?

>literally every single card in the deck needs to interact with the tribe in order to be a tribal deck

remand is not a merfolk?????? wtf is it doing in a merfolk deck...

yeah what is remand doing in a merfolk deck

Yes. Individual game stats aren't recorded anywhere on MTGO, so the best you can get is what decks went undefeated in leagues or placed top 8/16/32 in various events like MOCS

>[deck name] is even more cancerous than infect
kek

tron is the most cancerous modern deck desu

I don't think anybody disagrees with that statement.

too true

>tfw started playing magic and modern with RG Tron
>mfw slamming Karns and Wurmcoils

I'm timmy as fuck and don't care one bit

>timmy

magic only has timmy and spike, no room for johnny anymore because "no sub turn 4 please unless you are infect thanks"

How viable are Esper/UW control?

this is my angel moon deck. i just took sun and moon and changed the wincons for angels. i don't know what else could i change for more angels.

Are you autistic user? (Your answer here is also the answer for your question.)

>Your answer here is also the answer for your question.

Well alright then

Folds to literally everyth-
>blood moon
Carry on.

Is Gisela, broken blade good enough for Modern or does it dying to Bolt make her bad?

being an unimpactful 4 drop makes her bad, she wouldn't see play as a 4/4 either

If you're gonna play Gisela just play Baneslayer, and Baneslayer isn't good enough for modern.

And ghostly prision, don't forget ghostly prision

I actually like how blood moon can make totally janky decks viable

>Skred (With or without Skred, it's a Blood Moon prison deck)

What the fuck am I reading

>take skred (the deck)
>remove skred (the card)
>skredless skred
there you go

>it's a Blood Moon prison deck