Fellow 5e gms, how do I balance variant humans with my "everyone gets a bonus feat at 1st level" houserule?

Fellow 5e gms, how do I balance variant humans with my "everyone gets a bonus feat at 1st level" houserule?

I feel like 2 bonus feats at first level would be broken, so I was considering replacing it with an extra skill training of their choice

My players didn't like this, the guy who was going to play human got angry saying it was going against the official rules, but they were all fine with the extra feat

What should I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y9lTrCJN7pNnntcw4C6wPqi1VAN0awZzGZA_Z9eS7Lg/htmlview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Literally just remove Variant Humans. The autistic faggot can still play a faggot, he can still get more skill points than every other race has at creation, he can still have his free feat since everyone gets one, he just can't be a min-maxing faggot and get two feats. If he has a problem with this, kick his ass out of the group because he's shown he's the type of person who's just going to keep on being a problem as time goes on.

In fact, show him this post. user, quit being a faggot.

Don't let anyone take feats. Problem solved, optional rules should stay optional.

Just let them have the +1 to every ability score of the standard human on top of the variant human-equivalent bonus feat?

>Don't let anyone take feats. Problem solved, optional rules should stay optional.
This, 5e actually operates at it's best the less optional rules are used.

>against the official rules
Feats are a variant rule.

Variant human is a variant rule.

Oddly enough, I would say to use the supplements they had for the MTG settings where they listed various human races, though they were all essentially variant humans with a specific feat and stats.

You could follow suit, as the main way this is open for abuse is if the players min-max it with combat feats. Limiting them to utility ones may be a compromise.

Outside of that, just politely tell them you wanted to avoid anyone trying to powergame, then tell them you may make an exception. Then ask what they had in mind and watch them crumble as they try and justify Polearm Master+Sentinel or whatever.

So your solution to "two feats is overpowered, what do I do, TG?" is to go "Yeah, give him two feats AND all the bonus points the human without a bonus feat gets!"

Fucking Wat?

This, OP. Just remove variant humans. Anyone that wants to play a human still has a very powerful option available in the regular human, who gets 5 attribute points upon creation while everyone else gets like 3.

Limit their second feat to the weaker feats. Here's a sortable doc made by some Powergamers: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1y9lTrCJN7pNnntcw4C6wPqi1VAN0awZzGZA_Z9eS7Lg/htmlview

Any of the feats with the "Garbage" rating should be fine, though the guys who made this doc were a bunch of Rollplayers, as evidenced by putting Actor as a 0/5. I've pulled so much shit being a Charismatic Rogue and this feat.

I think he misunderstood the question and answered with 'make them play a non-variant human'

Sorry, 6 attribute points.
Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Charisma, Intelligence, Wisdom.

I don't want to kick anyone out, I'm already at only 4 players, any fewer and it'll be too few
Problem is the campaign I'm running I'm giving important NPCs and enemies feats because I like the customization feats give, taking them away from the players would be unfair
could work

Wow, it's like he might actually have to play a STANDARD human instead of the broken variant one that's literally the best race in the game for every situation ever. Poor him.

>Problem is the campaign I'm running I'm giving important NPCs and enemies feats because I like the customization feats give
What's the problem? Are you gonna let them play dragons just because you can use them? Do you let them design dungeons, too?

>taking them away from the players would be unfair
1) No it isn't
2) So goddamn what?

Their job is to fight through monsters, necromancers and other obstacles to win fame and glory. It's an adventure. It was fair it'd be called "sports".

>Implying someone like this won't just switch to Half-Elf instead once Human isn't OP

Here's a novel idea: Just let him have the two damn feats. They're not that powerful.

He's obviously a huge whiny munchkin and someone needs to punish him.

OP, don't do this. This guy has no idea what he's talking about. At all.

Feats are meant to be balanced against a +2 attribute boost, and some of them are EXTREMELY powerful in the right combos.

>What should I do?
Sack the fuck up.

>the guy who was going to play human got angry saying it was going against the official rules
Give him the WoTC toll free complaint line number. Tell him to see if they'll run a game for him.

Getting a free feat makes Vanilla Human the most powerful race in the game. Over the course of the entire game you only get 5.

>Not that powerful.

So you have no idea what you're talking about? Why didn't you just say so? Or better yet not have wasted the effort on a reply to begin with?

*Variant Human.

>Problem is the campaign I'm running I'm giving important NPCs and enemies feats because I like the customization feats give, taking them away from the players would be unfair
It really wouldn't. There's nothing unusual about special NPCs having special abilities that the PCs don't have.

by disallowing the variant humans. humans are already strong enough. and allowing feats at lvl 1 is fucking stupid.

RAW says it's purely optional.