Could Veeky Forums create a setting based on Hungary? Are you up for the challenge?

Could Veeky Forums create a setting based on Hungary? Are you up for the challenge?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidérc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I will monitor this thread.

(We are playing historical (with bits of myths/fantasy) rpg set in the late 16th-early 17th century Royal Hungary/Bohemian Crown)

there is already one RPG with hungary in it called Helvéczia.

Also your general idea is shit

I would but I've just eaten.

19-20th century Hungary also has good bits for a setting.

>Revolutions
>Huge class divides and rigid social conventions
>Nationalism
>Benevolent dictators
>Malevolent dictators
>Mad science
>Lots of over-decorated architecture

Hungarian here. I'm at work but I'll monitor this thread.

An RPG around the time we settled down would be an interesting (if safe) choice. The old, tribal society with a shamanistic religion clashing with the Christian, imperial neighbors. Lots of opportunities for backstabbing politics, mercenary work, as well as for mysticism.

It's pretty hyped up by the nationalists for a reason.

that could work way better than any medieval period. Especially for a Call of Cthulhu game

Eastern Europe. It doesn't need to be Modern OR Medieval.

well, it never will be modern, that's for sure

What time of Magyar historia?

>Setting based on Hungary
>A setting with perpetually failing revolutions

So...some pretty nice buildings and people getting insanely drunk on red wine?

actually it's more like
> perpetual failing at everything

no, not on red wine. On pálinka.

What age of hungarian history? For most of the time it existed, it would be pointless to make the setting only based around Hungary.

But I'll grant that I fancy the idea of a western feudal state ruled by steppe nomads.

Living in Slovakia, I always viewed medieval Hungary as more default a D&D setting than western Europe. Consider: nobles maintained privileges and kings failed to centralize until the 19th century. Half the country was occupied for a couple of centuries, which in wartime meant hell and in peacetime insane raids. You could also stylize it as the brink of the abyss - if the invader breaches the buffer and takes Vienna, all of Europe may have to tremble.

The ethnic situation can be painted as a victim/exploiter story, but also as a multi-ethnic confederation slapped together with equal measures of purpose and violence. Ideally both, grey areas make for fun storytelling.

I never gave it a lot of thought but there's a lot of borderlands stuff there.

So there's this big plains area and it's really nice and a bunch of horse people show up every few years and most of the time they're pretty cool but sometimes they're huge dicks and we have to fight them but because they're horse people they don't know what walls are so we usually just hide in there until they get bored and leave so everything has walls even the churches especially the churches actually and we have horses also but we're not like super good on them like the horse people and our western neighbors keep trying to get us to wear this big heavy armor stuff and our northern neighbors keep trying to staple wings onto our horses and our southern neighbors keep screaming for us to give back vojvodina or something anyway yeah that's magyarland hahahaha have some goulash pls no bully

Ah yes. No trip to Hungary is complete without the autistic screeching of Serbs in the distance.

those draft horses are so fucking cool, was it those kinds of horses that were used in heavy cavalry charges? i can imagine a hundred of them in plate thundering across a field and destroying everything in their path.

Hungary has some crazy-ass animals.

Don't forget
>internal politics that fuck everything up for everyone

Fear the Drillsheep.

Nobody speaks Common.
Dishes are made primarily from decaying meat and offal mixed with copious amount of strong spices.
Northern region claims to be separate and independent country.

I'm sure fantasy mongolia has been done many times.

strange as it may sound but hungary was never really big on the heavy cavalry thing. It was mostly about light and "medium" cavalry. Mostly because we were nomads once and it was very deep rooted in our culture.

IT IS THE FIRST MILLENNIUM OF OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, JESUS CHRIST.

THE KINGDOM OF HUNGARY IS UNDER SIEGE FROM ALL FRONTS. FROM THE WEST COME THE GERMANS, OUR FORMER ALLIES NOW MADE ENEMIES AS THEY SEEK TO CLAIM OUR LANDS FOR THEIR OWN. AGE-OLD TREATIES SHREDDED, THEY SET OUR FIELDS ALIGHT AND SLAUGHTER OUR PEOPLE IN THEIR BARBARIAN DEGENERACY.

FROM THE SOUTH COMES THE BLOATED RELIC OF THE ROMAI, THE BYZANTINES, NOT CONTENT TO SIMPLY FADE INTO HISTORY, THEY RISE FROM THE DEAD AND SEEK TO RESURRECT THEIR ANCIENT EMPIRE, HUNGERING FOR THEIR ANCESTRAL LANDS THAT WE NOW INHABIT.

FROM THE EAST COMES THE NEW HORROR, THE GREAT ENEMY THAT WILL DESTROY US ALL. WE WILL NOT SHIRK OUR GOD-GIVEN BURDEN TO THE WORLD, WE SHALL NOT RETREAT BEFORE THEM, BUT THE FIGHT WILL BE HARD AND IT WILL BE COSTLY. FROM GODLESS LANDS COMES THE YELLOW INFIDEL, THE MONGOL, WHO WISHES TO LIGHT THE ENTIRE WORLD ON FIRE AND RULE OVER ASHES. OUR CASTLES RING LIKE BELLS FROM THEIR TERRIBLE MACHINES, AND WITH THEM COME THEIR HORDES OF SLAVES.

IN THE GRIM-DARKNESS OF THE FIRST MILLENNIUM, THERE IS ONLY THE LAUGHTER OF THIRSTING BARBARIANS

I actually am running a Burning Wheel low-fantasy game in a setting based off the Hungary of Mattias Corvinus.

The three big elements you need are decentralized, autonomous nobles who may rebel every so often, a stark contrast between the serf countryside and the burgher-controlled cities, and one or more hostile outside forces which compel the disparate elements of feudal society to work together in times of strife despite their differences.

Heavy cavalry is more of a western european thing. Hungary adopted the mannerisms of knighthood, but still used hussars up until the Partition in 1526.

>Hungary adopted the mannerisms of knighthood, but still used hussars up until the Partition in 1526.
shit, Hungary still used hussars in it's 1848 freedom war

Hungary used Hussars all the way up to WW2.

Cavalry units vere very common in WW2 on both sides.

good post

Is your national anthem really "why God why?"

it's more like a big emo whining but yeah.

that's different because there wasn't a good hungarian propaganda for those times so we don't talk about it

Always wanted to make a setting based on Eastern Europe for my players, but I don't know enough about it to feel that I wouldn't end up with a soup of disrespectful cliches

Does anyone know of any good hunger mechanics to put in a game like this?

>Living in Slovakia
He means North Hungary

t. Czech

5E exhaustion levels?

What kind of ancient horrors would one face in such a setting? What did people in Hungarian myths fight?
Besides hunger.

Funnily enough, Hungarian superstitions are low on really eldritch or super deadly shit. The land is overall pleasant and bountiful, and the greatest danger is always posed by human invaders and uncaring empires.

There were witches, of course, and there was also the lidérc
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidérc

Make the Curse of Turan real and omnipresent.

Like irl.

Actually, we kind of have two anthems. We have the Himnusz, which pleads with God to bless Hungary and the Hungarians, as we have suffered enough.

The "secondary anthem", the Szózat (both were entrants to a contest to find the anthem of Hungary, and while the Himnusz won, Szózat also became a staple) is a poem of perseverance, and never giving up in the face of adversity.

The Himnusz is, of course, the official anthem deal, and as such ceremonies begin with it. The Szózat, meanwhile, usually closes the same ceremonies.

Lengyel, Magyar, két jó barát,
Együtt harcol s issza borát,
Vitéz s bátor mindkettője,
Áldás szálljon mindkettőre.

Also even as God can't speak or comprehend the language how would you implement this in the game?

Thank you. That's a fascinating and interesting tidbit.

I dunno, Welsh is worse, in my opinion. You could just roll your forehead around on a keyboard and come out with a fully fledged piece of Welsh verse.

God the /sz/ sound makes my dick diamonds.

>Hungarian LARPfag shitting on his contry for being a perfectly good RPG setting
All of my kek.

I'm going to sound weird, but that thing looks like it was made for cuddling. One of these days I will have a farm and fill it exclusively with animals I think are cute. Including a massive warthog.

Unmodified Helvéczia is set in Switzerland, you can just play as different nationalities, including Hungarians

copper penis owl

DELET THIS

DELET THIS NOW

AZONNAL TÖRÖLD LE

our secret is out now, there is no stopping, we must unite to defeat this monster

have you ever heard about the mangalica pig? it's a hungarian thing too

yeah but a new one will come out if I heard it correctly, and it will also be translated to english