Okay, so you're high up in some U.S. acronym agency, and your boss's boss' boss calls you into his office. Inside...

Okay, so you're high up in some U.S. acronym agency, and your boss's boss' boss calls you into his office. Inside, you're given a briefing by some scientists and some intel people. The gist of it is that they have definitive proof that something like time travel or trans-dimensional travel exists. Moreover, there are huge associated risks. They need a group to:
A. cover up people (and things) disappearing/appearing to and from god-knows-where
B. set up a system to detect and assess non-native beings (which may already be here)
C. support fundamental research into this phenomena
D. analyze materials and technologies retrieved

Basically: inter-dimensional alien wizards are a reality, and you have just enough experience and anonymity that you could act as head of the division that has to deal with it.

What do you name this new program and any sub-compartments?
Where will your headquarters be located?
What special security considerations will you implement as SOP?
What's the parent agency - NSA, DoD, CIA?
Where will you recruit agents from?
Any ideas on how you're going to tackle your objectives?

bump

Make it as public as possible, with as much transparency as possible.

Suddenly everything has become a metric fucktonne easier because there is no masquerade to keep running which would have needlessly eaten far to much of our time, resources and logistics for literally no reason what so ever.

Now that we a public we can freely access further resources and have a VERY large pool in which to hire further research talent.
Also means we can freely work alongside outside agencies and organisations like CERN.

Oh, sorry, did I just ruin your supa sekret time spys idea?

Basically this.

If it's one group of wizards, that's the time to send in a special ops team to close the hole (hopefully peacefully) and eliminate the problem. If people are getting sucked into Narnia left and right, and you already have ET running around on Earth, attempting a coverup is worse than suicide.

I'd craft a carefully-worded press release to be read by the president themself hopefully in this reality it's somebody level-headed and not our current PE. We'd then start a bonds drive to attempt to gain additional funding for researching this topic, while teaming up with other world powers in mutual cooperation for Earth defense.

Trying to be top-secret works in movies, but it's quite bad in real life. You're limiting your talent pool, spending precious resources on preventing exposure instead of defense or containment, and you're likely to be criminally liable when something goes wrong and all is revealed. It's best to tackle a problem like this head-on.

If it's not an existential threat, you'll be sacked instantly and replaced with somebody who didn't fall for the globalist meme and who actually has the slightest concept of "nation" and "country".

It's not us versus inter-dimensional alien wizards. It never is. It's us versus China versus Russia versus whoever the fuck else might want a piece of the pie.

Pay attention to the news once in a while.

Once it's out, it's out. No amount of sacking or denial is going to stop that.

It's called "The Laundry" and it is a great RPG, go check it out OP.

Open-Sourcing is actually a great way to make sure everything is vetted properly.

A ton of secret projects run into problems because they just don't have the appropriate QA.

Like those spy balloons the US sent over the soviet union: some fuckup included metal rods exactly the right size to be resonant with the soviet radar.
Then the soviets rounded up the balloons, and used their radiation hardened film to make moon probes.

I think that the existence of other realms is by definition an existential threat, unless they're all stuck in the medieval era or something. Even in that case it's likely best to go public with the information after you already have a solid lead, because the benefits are simply so large.

>because the benefits are simply so large
A problem might be cultists, though. How would religions take the existence of other planes? What if you had people who were now actively 'trying to summon the angels', you know?

Now you can respond to that fairly publicly, instead of having to mysteriously disappear a church group.

Cultists ain't anything we've never seen before.

It's thinking like this that gets K-tulu dredged out of the ocean and woken because we were trying to figure out how to use him as a weapon before the commies could.

Then there goes the whole stellar nursery.

If you go secret then it's as stupid as 60% of SCPs.

I'm pretty sure you won't know about them, because they'll hide their holy work from unbelievers.

That's the main problem with the 'go public' approach: large masses of humanity are A. Foolish and B. Determined.

So...
How do you prepose covering up a time wizard rampage in Paris?

Or a Narnia gate in Japan?

And those are just countries that are likely to play ball with you.
China? Russia? Try covering up then.

The less we use it, the better. Kill everyone who uses it and who is not us. Cover up its existence, incidents of use and the aftermath like it never happened.

No headquarters, easily compromised. Two-level structure. First level is comprised of small non-connected groups of actual members, each group tasked with individual long-term goals and those in the first paragraph. Second level involves everyone else like field agents, military personnel in the know, deniable and disposable assets, and so on, each first-level group maintaining its own network of contacts.

Members are chosen according to the org's needs. No way out, only death. Each member is made to realize that he is fighting an existential risk, so no bitching about money. The org will even break laws to get support.

No hoarding of unnatural stuff. Everything that can be destroyed must be destroyed. Everything that can't must be concealed. Limited research - only ways to counter active threats, no weaponization and no preemptive strikes, too dangerous.

And finally, zero fucks about other countries. There is a 100% chance that they have their own orgs to deal with time wizards.

Detecting unnatural shit is not that hard. Monitor the news and have long-term sleeper cells all over the country. If any kind of weird shit happens, no matter how small, that's our job. When shit happens, call the nearest field agent cell and send them to investigate and do what they need to do to stop the threat, no holds barred.

Did I say that trying to cover up absolutely everything was a good idea?

I'm not saying you have to play it like a bad movie filled with extras in cheap suits and sunglasses like .

I'm saying "as much transparency as possible" feels nice and fuzzy to say, but as an employee of whatever the alphabet agency may be, the aliens are not the sole focus of your job. There's no point in dealing with them if your country doesn't come out on top.

OP, check out The Laundry and Delta Green. Both are good RPGs involving this kind of stuff.

And that's why USA hasn't won shit since WWI.

I accept, then sell out humanity to the alien wizards for the promise of ultimate power.

>vatnik about to try and claim Soviets won WWII

The sudden influx of chronologically displaced people result in social and political chaos

once keeping something secret is involved that becomes the focal point of the entire campaign, by having everything be public knowledge from the get-go you can focus on trying to deal with the wizards directly

unless you like the campaign to revolve around trying to hide everything, in which case go ahead

>Claiming it was anyone but the Russians and small amounts of British air force

They were beat in the factories, champ. And most of the factories were not in Russia.

They did, at least in Europe
Our largest contributions were materiel support and making sure Communism never went west of Germany

>Okay, so you're high up in some U.S. acronym agency
I'm just going to point out that NSA, DoD, CIA and so forth aren't acronyms, because you don't pronounce them as words. NASA is an acronym.

>As a result, everyone is now trying to time/dimension travel. Including all the countries and organizations that oppose the US.
>The number of crises that the agency has to control has increased by 100 000%
>Time travellers bang the president's mom to prevent his birth... again.
>Is that Shoggoth lair filled with arlequin novels?
>You've got immigrants with ideologies or physiologies you don't even begin to understand.
>lobbies everywhere wanting to exploit new ressources, tech, and lands. Despite the fact that warp fission makes the nuclear version look like a wet firecracker.
>Due to the fantastic short term results of the operation under your guidance, you're sacked

It could make for a very fun and crazy campaign, but it's a terrible idea in-setting.

They're all alphabet soup organizations

> who actually has the slightest concept of "nation" and "country".

This isn't about nations or countries anymore. This is about entire worlds.

We don't have to be best friends with Russian, but if advanced civilizations from another dimension are ALREADY HERE with their own plans and motives and shit? It is in the best interest of all parties to make sure they we keep tabs on their shit and root them out. The last thing we need is for WW3 to get started because outsiders wanted us to nuke each other to make us ripe for dimensional colonization.

Besides, proliferation of tech to travel to other dimensions actually makes our world SAFER. If Russia can go and subjugate some low-tech world of savages to get their metal and oil and whatnot, there isn't a hell of a lot of motivation for them to risk nuclear war for anything on Earth.

The game suddenly becomes one big colonization race, finding choice property in other dimensions for colonies and mining operations and whatnot. A race that, by the way, we are well positioned to do well in.

Our choices are to be secretive and leave ourselves open to manipulation by outside forces, or be open about it, blow the cover of whatever assholes are in our dimension, and usher in a new age of exploration and prosperity for every cation big enough to buy their way into the game.

Only an idiot would pick the former.

>No way out, only death. Each member is made to realize that he is fighting an existential risk, so no bitching about money.

You wanna give them some more incentive to defect to other countries when they get the chance? Maybe kill their dog, while you are at it?

Oh look, another person who forgot the Pacific theater happened.

>What do you name this new program and any sub-compartments?
Department of Inter-reality Security, or DIS.

>Where will your headquarters be located?
That's classified. Reality: wherever the primary reality breach is located, we build a fortress around it to control it ala Stargate SG-1.

>What special security considerations will you implement as SOP?
Jesus Christ, fucking everything. I wouldn't necessarily go immediately hostile, but I would spare no resource to learn and understand the nature of the phenomenon and learn how to harness it.

>What's the parent agency - NSA, DoD, CIA?
Probably CIA. They're the most morally flexible, something I'll have a need for.

>Where will you recruit agents from?
Strange as this sounds, probably universities at first. Get top scientists on the case ASAP, especially physicists. Once I have them, switch to acquiring agents from CIA/NSA/military sources, same as usual. Acquire a few from outside sources such as PMCs and merc outfits.

>Any ideas on how you're going to tackle your objectives?
Fucking hell, I'm not a director in the CIA man, i'm a fucking user. This is a non-exhaustive list of ideas:

>Cover-up
Ok, assuming this is possible (reasons covered upthread for why it may not be), standard CIA/NSA blackbag procedure stands. Once I have a grasp of the phenomenon and can open/close them at will, use specially trained fireteams to close unauthorized breaches and send in a second team for blackbag procedures.

>Detect non-natives
Standard information gathering techniques with a focus on the paranormal and unusual. Send out teams to investigate leads so generated.

>Research/Analysis
Reactivate all the old paranormal research projects and assume they were on to something. Give them funding and resources. Combine them with special teams to understand the breach phenomenon and study materials/tech acquired. Start a research division of DIS as top priority to understand the phenomenon ASAP and learn how to control it.

>They're all alphabet soup organizations
I'm just going to point out that alphabet soup isn't all letters. It also has peas and carrots.

>each group tasked with individual long-term goals and those in the first paragraph.

So, wait. You want to keep this as easily secured as possible, and your strategy is to greatly increase the surface area and give small groups large amounts of unilateral power to achieve their own goals? What the absolute fuck is this.

There's a reason that the old security adage is "Put all your eggs in one basket, and then put that basket in fucking Fort Knox." It's a lot easier to lock down a central hierarchy because there's less potential holes.

>each first-level group maintaining its own network of contacts.

This makes it even worse. If one of the contacts goes rogue, you now only have a small fraction of the organization to deal with.

> No way out, only death. Each member is made to realize that he is fighting an existential risk, so no bitching about money. The org will even break laws to get support.

Who the fuck would sign up for this? You're only going to get near-psychotically patriotic people with a high level of mental instability. has a great point, this is a horrible plan.

>Limited research - only ways to counter active threats, no weaponization and no preemptive strikes, too dangerous.

If you don't make magical weapons, what the hell are you doing to counter active threats? I get the risk that you make a doomsday device that eventually gets stolen because of your retarded distributed organizational structure, but you don't have to make anything truly dangerous. The best bet is to make versions of conventional weapons that circumvent magical defenses, just in case.

>There is a 100% chance that they have their own orgs to deal with time wizards.

The quality of US intelligence is much, much greater than that of other countries. We spend more money on it and have more experience than most. Russia and China possibly have one, and perhaps the UK, but the vast majority of countries will not.

>be[ing] secretive [means] leav[ing] ourselves open to manipulation by outside forces
Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. This is the exact thing that OPSEC is crucial in guarding against.

>If Russia can [...], there isn't a hell of a lot of motivation for them to risk nuclear war
>finding choice property in other dimensions for colonies and mining operations and whatnot
>usher in a new age of exploration and prosperity for every nation big enough
And you're calling me the idiot? Pull your head out of your ass before you drown in your own assumptions, buddy.

>This is the exact thing that OPSEC is crucial in guarding against.
Security by obscurity will inevitably be broken.

OPSEC and security by obscurity are not the same thing, and you should know that.

What part of your buzzword does not depend on security by obscurity?

>naive user thinks that there isn't a program that investigates supernatural happenings
I mean, it's not like in the TV (there is infinitely more bureaucracy involved, for one), but it definitely exists, at least in my country. Dunno about USA, but I'm pretty sure you have equivalents, because my agency has to cooperate with someone internationally (no, seriously, I dunno what it's called or who the people are, and I don't care - they don't pay me enough for this shit).

Well first I would need money.
A lot of money.
And drugs.
Lots of drugs.
And some guns.
After I get all the above, I say your fuck plot and flee to some country with no extradition treaty.