Larp thread

A good, old-fashioned larp thread with an image dump.

I didn't know Jon Tron was a larper

Most likely he isn't one

Fucking awesome.

So me and a friend keep talking about designing a larp system, but it breaks down when the idea of classes comes up.

I say classes are good, they would provide the player various innate perks that would make them feel useful even if they're not the greatest role player. They provide an opportunity to include fluff on the game, so players can get more immersed without needing to create an extensive background for themselves.

Meanwhile friendo thinks classes/occupations make the game feel like a video game or the like, which feels like an incredibly weak argument.

We also aren't calling out numbers in combat. I can't think of a better way to turn off normies from wanting to jump in, causing your scene to eventually wither and die

classes isn't a must have, and there are a fuckton of ways that it can fuck up the game.

But to tell you the truth it's just a minor detail in the rule system, there are far more important things to decide which in turn will make it clear if you need a class system or not

On my phone, so I can't give you super informative replies, but we identified a few key points that needed tackling

>magic breaks immersion almost always
>dress code enforcement
>calling numbers out for combat appeals to very very few people
>pure pvp attracts fewer high quality participants than well done pure pve

Anything else of note?

what is your target audiance?
what is the PURPOSE of the game?
what is the price range?
what kind of events do you guys want to run?
etc.

Also, dress code enforcement is only a good idea when it's a pure battle game or otherwise there is a strong in game hierarchy.

a well done pure pvp attracts just as much people a s well done pure pve.

Man Hungarian Larps look fucking cool. All of the American ones ive been to are full of fucking cancerous asshole "wizards", cronyism dicks and such the like.

these aren't hungarian larps, it's just an image dump of various larp pics.

only these are from hungarian larps:
but I can post more hungarian larp pics if needed

I'm with your friend on this. But then again I'm used to the Scandinavian larp tradition.

How is it that eastern euros like warhammer (fantasy) so much? Not that it's a bad thing.

probably because it has a more or less realistic setting. By that I mean that magic is not retarded overblown and a lot of factions are based on real european countries and historical things. Basically you can find NOTrussains, NOTgermans, NOTfrench, etc in it.

And it's not just eastern europe, it's pretty big in Germany too and a few french guys told me that there too

Seeing these pictures always gets me hot and bothered about playing but god the Eastern US is terrible for it. I have yet to find a group that is sizable where I dont have to shout numbers or have some big bat rather than a foam sword. I just want to be able to dress up and wack at each other with swords until someone dies rather than try and run around like its DnD

don't worry, the whole US is shit larp-wise

That's fucking cool