If you were playing as a blaster sorcerer in a generic D&D-like setting...

If you were playing as a blaster sorcerer in a generic D&D-like setting, and you wanted to fluff your spell focus as floating over your shoulder shooting beams, what's the coolest kind of object to use?

A crystal seems like the standard, with precedent as Ioun stones and psicrystals.
A wand or other spell focus intended to be held in the hand feels wrong somehow, like why even bother making it float if by the rules you need a hand to cast spells anyway.
A skull is always awesome but unfortunately marks you as an edgelord. If it's a human skull, people will think you're copying a 40K techpriest.
A metal ball or cube works too, either engraved with arcane sigils or polished to almost unreal regularity, but you shouldn't have more than one, unless you want jokes about having balls of steel or making Xd6 damage rolls in-character.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bTjZMpAtUEQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>A skull is always awesome but unfortunately marks you as an edgelord.

DISAGREE.

A ceremonial jewel encrusted golden human skull.

A levitating steel eye golem sounds like it would be legitimate.

Could go with a non-human skull, like a dragon one.

>floating dragon skulls that shoot lasers
Sans get off Veeky Forums

Go with standard gen but encase it in a shell or shape similar to pic in OP, case is potentially a magic enhancing substance

A giant glass eye.

A living monster that follows your commands.

Portals that lead into the the middle if a fucking star. Basically a big flamethrower.

3.5 had an "Eyeball" that was just a palm sized beholder with a little smily face mouth that couldn't attack on it's own with anything more than a simple shove beam that did no damage but pushed targets back a few feet. You could take one as a familiar. You could do like the basic 5e Beastmaster Ranger and do some dumb shit where YOU don't cast any blasting spells and you can only Channel them through your Eyeball familiar which seems OP since you can remotely kill shit but at the same time renders you down to a level 3 Commoner if your familiar gets gibbed until you can summon another one.

Sounds more like a nuke rather then a flamethrower, world ender if the portal requires active closing.

Snakes or dragon heads, that are coiled over your shoulders

A floating ghost machine, without legs, who fires beams from his fingers

Paintings

Mirrors

Bats

Torches/Lamps

My mummified dick

Staff. Wands are dinky, right, but floating staff looks cool.

Root vegetables and tubers could be amusing for some kind of blasting druid build.

god i miss the shining force games.

Fuck. We've had a few discussions about this on /m/, and the consensus seems to be that bits/funnels are fucking broken bullshit. There's a reason you don't see them as often in fantasy works, because it's just plain unfair.

By the way, I'd go with crystals.

They certainly are broken bullshit compared to normal turrets, but in this case it's just fluff, they don't do anything special.
Even if bits/funnels/drones were a distinct category of spell focus item with mechanical benefits (can target one additional creature with a ray spell once between rests?), that game system would give different mechanical benefits for different items that are mutually exclusive, so there's an opportunity cost.

Small pet dragon.

> unfortunately marks you as an edgelord
how about a levitating human fetus, still in its embryonic sac?

a faerie dragon would be cool. use your familiar.

a miniature spiral galaxy just above your shoulder shooting stuff would be neat. maybe just a star or sun. or maybe a sun with orbiting planets and the beam shoot out of different planets. or maybe the sun and planets are jewels or birth stones. or how about a moon? or a levitating holy symbol or weapon. a gauntlet. a guinea pig.

a small winged fairy. "tink, hit those orcs with a fireball pls, tyvm"

predator-esque shoulder cannon, with laser sight. get your dm to run you through that 1e spaceship module where you could find the device.

its a different mundane item every day. you wake up, grab a nearby object to charge with the spell power, and toss a floating hammer or chamber pot into the air.

a magical glyph or symbol that follows you around.

a swarm of small insects like a cloud of gnats.

A marble.

It won't be interesting at first, but get more, and charge them with spells, maybe Sacred Flame or Fire Bolt if you're in D&D. Then when you have the chance, use them all. Ten or so floating marbles that can fly over or around the target and shoot out a massive blast.

In my language, blast actually means the leaves of the root vegetables.

A series of drones.

I could do with a Reuniclus familiar

Well, if you want awesome without edge, you could go with the tried and true option.

Floating gloves. That shoot lasers with finger guns.

Or a bismuth shape. Or maybe googly eyes that spin around their edges to charge up.

Get a mini Ramiel?

A honest-to-god cute tiny satellite. With solar cells and a big NASA logo. With a laser gun.
When anyone asks, you tell them that you have no idea what that thing is, or who the fuck NASA is. You just cast the spell and it appeared. All you know is that it lloks artificial and is able to evade all attempts at capture.

/vp/, your nintendo friend ID is showing.

Veeky Forums, actually. I noticed it, but serb refused my abort request.

miniature energy cloud being thing. think nebby.

I'm a fan of an normal orb, or something that looks like an eye that opens when it casts spells.

Although thinking about it, I do like the idea of it being a lantern/willow 'wisp type thing as well.

If you're going "magic satellite" though, magitech looking rocks/gemstones like are pretty cool, and I don't think would be out of place, even in a more generic fantasy setting.

Do like my last wizard. A ring of wands, staves, rods, and scepters that orbit around you in a single horizontal ring as you hold your spellboo in one hand. The foci are taken from the casters you defeat in battle and are put on display as a sign of powet and respect

>Gate of Babylon/Noctis' power but with arcane foci

This.

Tiny, sassy clones of yourself

Why not a wizards spell book? You just like to stick it to those uppity nerds and all their fancy book learnin'

>You will never feed your satellite tiny astronaut ration packs which it pecks at joyfully out of your hand
>You will never scratch its hull and feel it purring in delight when you pet it just right
>You will never catch it when zips into the room and it nests on your head
>You will never see it sunbathing in the morning starting its regular functions
>You will never wake up one day to find that your satellite laid an unmanned mars rover and your family just got bigger by one.

Why are we even born?

>gives birth to a mars rover
Your satellite is a slut

Some sort of gross animal like an squid, or a grub or a cockroach, a worm. Maybe a floating mouth that babbles incoherently when not casting spells.

A shoulder thing that goes up.

You don't fuck your satellite dude. Satellites are for tender loving.

>[Feels eternally]

Otherwise I'd say little bio-mechanical sphere drones using cloned tissue samples from you. They are like children because they are literally made from your own flesh and blood.

Funnels are fucking awesome

oldtypes get out reeeeeeeee

They are on steam $3 each.

>Wants oldtypes to leave
>Posts potentially the most lethal oldtype pilot to every live

Fucking Newtypes.

A small creepy doll that mimes spellcasting.

A tiny spaceship.

Cut off your own hand, enchant it, it now floats above your shoulder casting for you. Now you have a little more personality and a combat advantage all in one.

oh neat

>3.5 had an "Eyeball" that was just a palm sized beholder with a little smily face mouth that couldn't attack on it's own with anything more than a simple shove beam that did no damage but pushed targets back a few feet. You could take one as a familiar.

this is the cutest thing

D'aww

Just lasers? Pathetic mongrel!

Extremely ornate geometric objects.

For example, nested, perpetually spinning and rotating rings.
A cloud of tetrahedrons that form into different shapes based on the spell.
A vertical halo of rings and focii.

Some form of mask?

A set of a dozen matching jian swords.

Your ki won't accept anything else.

>playing a blaster sorcerer
Might as well make it a sex doll and bring it full circle.

Expecto Patronus

>Summoning swords
>Not using your power for booty

youtube.com/watch?v=bTjZMpAtUEQ

sauce?

A carved wooden totem?

I would go with a thin necked clay jug with a big cork in it. Take the cork out and let it go, it floats up over your shoulder and fires on your foes. Hold out your hand and it lands in it sobyou can cork it and it goes inert.

A model airplane. But a cool one, like a B2, an SR-71. We Aerosmith now.

is that a jojo reference?

Volare via, motherfucker

I would go for a golden flower that's normally sealed up, yet to bloom.

The higher level the spell, the more it blooms during the casting progress, ranging from a tiny widening of the tip for a level 1, to a massive, foot wide bloom that would make a man stop and stare when you cast your level 9.

Course, I'm the kind of faggot who always plays females, so it makes a bit more sense.

I don't know, depends on the flower, right? If I was going for a Buddhist motif, a golden lotus wouldn't be out of place.

wouldn't have to be buddhist

Egyptians believe the universe was born from a cosmic lotus for example.