Anyone here try running a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon campaign? How'd it fare?

Anyone here try running a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon campaign? How'd it fare?

Small bump

Larger bump since I'm also curious.
Seems like it might make for a neat setting without the character sheet bloat of PTA/PTU

/qst/

I have.
We used pokerole's mystery dungeon supplement and had a blast.

The team was a Larvitar, a Cyndaquil and a Drilbur living in a cave far away from anything, it was pretty much a macro dungeon made out of smaller dungeons with different habitats, such as an underground river, a lava flowing chamber, the den of a giant ariados and her babies etc.

How is Pokerole anyway? I've never touched a Pokemon system except for PTU,

It's a lot more rules light than PTU, mostly because PTU went for the video game details as their main tool and pokerol went more fore an anime-like feeling.

Pokerole still requires some prepping, specially for encounters since it still doesn't have as many tools as PTU, but they got a mod on tabletop simulator we are using for our next campaign, so that's cool.

Over all i wish more people tried it, it can be really fun and making a character is really quick.

Neat. Any other story examples?

I've never attempted this because it just seems like I'd be willingly attracting the worst kind of players imaginable.

This. It's an open invitation to furfags.

I'm actually in the middle of working on a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon System. It's coming along quite nicely, I just need to explain how combat works, then it's done.

PMD does have an advantage in that players are explicitly noobs. No pages long back story or the like can happen.

Can you give us more details?

Got nothing against the concept alone, but it still would turn into fur central. It's inevitable.

D12 dicepool system, based on the Blade of the Iron Throne's RPG. Combat is pretty quick, and Statting a character even more so. I've managed to work out a direct conversion between the actual Pokémon Stats and Moves while still keeping it simple enough and letting you give some real personality to your character.

Hope you know what you're doing, player base wise.
You're more likely than not to attract furries if you play your cards wrong.

So is Pathfinder, 5e, 3.5, and any other game to feature monstrous races. That's a "who you play with, not what you play" problem. I mean, we even talk about Iron Claw being decent if you remove the furshit.

True.

>So is any roleplaying game. Period.
Fixed

Sword and Sorcery and Sci-Fi Human only games don't.

It's not that hard to introduce a theme that's the same difference. Barbarians and Druids often worship animals, who give them powers, all the way down to a character who wears an animal fur and makes it important to them.

Sci Fi is even easier, since you can just order animal themed clothes and equipment.

Risky, yeah.