/40krpg/ - Warhammer 40,000 RPG General

Physical Books are Heresy Editionh

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

>40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

>40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
In the Homebrew megafolder

>Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.10) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)

>Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)

>The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.4) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)

Any general rules of thumb players should know before getting into a game? Things that increase survival rates, common sense, etc. Looking to update the "Rules for Not Dying like an Idiot" file.

By the way, with the license BS happening, these really neat Digital Character Sheets will be getting removed from the Play Store in March. Get it while you can, it can print to .pdf.
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dizelabs.dcsdh
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dizelabs.dcsdh2

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UfkES
warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Torquemada_Coteaz
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whose did do I gotta suck to get Only War core in paper?

is your dicksucking worth $150?

I just hope he's not Canadian.

UPS stores will spiral bind 100 pages for like $5, 50 pages for a little less with clear covers and plastic backs and they tend not to really give a shit about copyrights (if you find one that does give you shit, find another place. I usually tell my guy that they're "free supplements i found on ~the official blog~ (be vague) that i put together in photoshop and made fit on 8.5x11 paper". If you're good at pdf editing, you can also find the clause in the copyright text about how certain areas can be photocopied and edit that and show it to them). The benefit to doing this is that you can then break your books up into sections, you can fold the book backwards and have it take up less space, and you can easily annotate the book in pencil (i do this with pirated texbooks too). Make sure you get it bound in sections of 50 or 100 sheets though-- 150 at the absolute most-- because the larger spirals will wear out your sheets faster.

I also have an inkjet printer that i put refillable cartridges in so it costs me about $5+paper to print 1,000 full color front/back pages that go all the way to the edge-- sometimes i'll print the cover on a sheet of inkjet photopaper. If i *really* want a nice looking book, i'll shell out to get it printed on glossy paper at the store (two-sided glossy paper is only made for laser printers, and home laser printers don't typically support printing all the way to the edge) but this can get super pricey.

I wish it was

>Any general rules of thumb players should know before getting into a game?

At least in DH1, don't have more than one character focused on melee in the party. You can't run faster than bullets.

>Players make a Mechanicus regiment for our only war game
>Lucius Secutarii with alatus jump packs and data tethers
>Fear (1) on landing, huge alpha strike with rerollable damage from electric weapons, shield up if the going gets tough

Omnissiah help me, they are literally playing Imperial Scourges, it's crazy.

>4000 CDN
I could buy a really shitty car or a really nice fridge for 3k American. Does anybody, fucking anybody, pay these ludicrous scalper prices? I could see paying $150 if I was rich and desperate. 4k for a book? The fuck are they smoking, I want some.

context?

Sauce is Samurai Flamenco

If you're in America, I could sell you mine in one of those USPS boxes that arrives in I think 3 days. Hasn't ever really been used, bought on impulse when I was living in Buffalo.
I'd sell it for 40 bucks (which would also include the price of shipping in there, and those boxes are like 7-10 bucks I think to ship.) So you'd be getting it for around 30 bucks, should you want it.

Just because it's almost Christmas. I can probably mail it off on Monday after I'm done teaching. But only if you're an American, because those extra costs of sending shit over the border kill me.

brianrichmondwriter on skype, if you're interested.

Responded

And the compact is thus, should have it out in the mail to you Monday or Tuesday. Happy Holidays.

You are the hero we need.

How balanced are monsters from RT/DH1E when ported for 2E/OW? Do I need to reduce/increase monster strength or are these guys good to go as soon as I convert the skills/talents/traits?

Godspeed, you magnificent bastard.

So tell me, how is the best way to do an effective sniper in the FFG 40k series not just to take two sniper rifles (say Nomads, Stalker Bolters or Traitor's Penance) hook them up to some damage buffs (like organ grinders for the SB, or hot-shot charge packs/overcharged for Traitor's Penance), make them micro and just dual shot with them?

You get accurate off both of them because you can aim first, and you're penning against effectively half armor?

I'm just thinking the whole wounds/crit system is really hard to one-shot people, even from surprise.

Lascannon with incredibly lethal pattern + versatile shooter talent.

Be like that vindicare assassin that tried to snipe Horus with lascannons.

Which book(s) are those from?

There's a couple lascannon patterns, but I've never heard of 'versatile shooter'.

Incredibly lethal is from Hammer of the Emperor, which gives the weapon the accurate quality. Versatile shooter is a talent from the very same book which lets you add aim damage bonus for non basic weapons for a total of 7d10+10 damage plus whatever you choose to pile on in there.

Ah, damn. I can definitely get 'incredibly lethal', my gm is fine with porting in equipment, but I'm a Dark Heresy assassin, and Only War isn't exactly 'talent compatible'

DH2E is quite compatible with OW, maybe someday he will move on. If not then ask him to give you a pass or something.

Still, its a very powerful combination for so little investment so don't be upset if her turns you down.

This is a good plan.

How are the PCs going to deal with the roleplay weirdness of an all-mechanicus legion of augmented freaks?

It's 1e and I'll mention it to him. If a Vindicaire did it, I might be able to convince him. It's a solo campaign, so I'm not really going off the rails too far.

I asuume with a lot of electricity jokes.

I'm trying to figure out myself. I might have the opportunity to lead an Explorator fleet. So there might be Battle Automata, Knights Errant, Skitarii, Crimson Guard, Acuitor Mech-Assassins and Factors of the Lathes.

The GM has the tendency to play the Mechanicus as...incredibly autistic, to use his own words, which while the concept is cool, could be a tad grating. I think I've convinced him that the field-elements of the Mechanicus are primarily fanatical.

>Crimson Guard, Acuitor Mech-Assassins and Factors of the Lathes.

Those are limited to the Calixis Sector, due to licensing. Most Admech forces don't have those. The Admech codexes give a good idea of how an actual explorator fleet goes.

I figure they have equivalents...I'll take a look, see what they have.

I figure it'd just be easier to use 'variants' rather than trying to port over table top versions.

You can look at Shield of Humanity for official material in regards to FFG published, or you can look at Mars Needs Women in regards to what actually exists in 40k. They're both pretty comprehensive.

>The GM has the tendency to play the Mechanicus as...incredibly autistic, to use his own words
Speaking as an actual autist? Well...He's not wrong. Obsession with patterns of data, focusing on pure logic above all else (because emotions are fucking messy), being baffled or irritated by things like standard social conventions or emotions while also standing on formality like it's a fucking rock, all extremely autistic traits common to the Mechanicus. It's easy to fall into that, but yeah, it can grate very, very easily.
Ever since Electro-Priests became a thing, using AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" as a battle hymn of the Mechanicus has become something between a running gag and a genuine convention. Not at all helped when they're fighting things that -also- have lightning weapons.

DEUS VOLT indeed.

Wait, the PCs are the ones leading the fleet?

That seems like you might want Rogue Trader instead of Only War.

It is Rogue Trader, those groups will probably be NPCs. I was just talking about the environment of interacting with the depths of the mechanicus.

You're probably right, I'm just encouraging not to fall too heavily on stereotypes. Probably more typical of tech-priests as opposed to Crimson Guard/Enginseers.

There are a lot of variations though.

1. The Autist-Savant (already covered)
2. The Data-Seeker. Some low-level members of the Cult Mechanicus have wires implanted in their brains connected to certain pleasure centres. Finding patterns and completing specific tasks induces an almost religious experience. This can lead to mania, obsession, self-modification, or madness, but the results of true motivation cannot be understated.
3. The Ambitious. Hunger for power is a constant vice among Tech-Priests. Some hoard knowledge and dispense scraps to supplicants and grovelling flatterers. Others seek command of legions and weapons. Others still have ambitious, secret plans - the resurrection of the dead, the use of weapons and lore forbidden, and inquiry into the blasphemous field of True Research are all common vices.
4. The Artist. The aesthetic tastes of the Mechanicus, clad in ragged robes, pierced with cables and augmentics, lumpen and asymetric, are perhaps a little obscure to the unenlightened. But to craft a perfect device, to augment a perfect limb, to enhance one's own form to the point of perfect communion, are all desirable goals.
5. The Scourge. It is said that the Skitarii feel no emotions save hatred. Perhaps it is so. A Tech-Priest can pass from righteous anger into all-consuming hatred of a race, a faction, or an idea. Some even rail against abstract concepts or emotions, devoting their entire lives to the eradication of the colour yellow or the slightest of tech-sins.
6. The Devoted. Some Tech-Priests see the latter part of their title as a literal commandment. They preach, they pray, they devote their lives to a higher power with total obsession. They craft, collect, and catalogue icons, prayer-wheels, and data-psalms. They carry vials of Martian ore, and are rendered catatonic by the sight of a Titan or a vast array of cogitators.

Does anyone else get... mildly annoyed at how players treat the Imperial Cult as players?
8/10 players I have ever seen either are outrageous fanatics (which usually breeds it's own set of explosive issues) or are basically superheretics that disavow everything religious, paying only the minimum lip service and missing how fundamental religion is to the Imperial machine.
Only a handful of people I've seen give faith some manner of reasonable weight, enough to show that it is modestly important and present, but not all-consuming. Especially considering that every world will have their own variations of the Imperial Cult, recognized and other, I always feel it offers a lot of flavor and rp fodder to have a unique outlook of the Emperor and that character's particular duty, moreso when it clashes with sensibilities of others from other cultures.
Does anyone else see this pattern in their players, or in themselves?

Is Sound Constitution actually worth it?

Short answer: Sometimes.
Long Answer: If you expect to be taking hits in CC, you want a minimum of 15 wounds.
It allows you to eat 2 good hits from a chainsword and stay above 4 wounds.

If you want a combat character that lives. Toughness and armour are ofc way better for that, but you need wounds so your toughness and armour are worth something.

Not really. People use reasonable faith in the omnipresent imperial cult as a baseline, and only truly think about where they stand when they want to differentiate themselves.

>Does anyone else get... mildly annoyed at how players treat the Imperial Cult as players?
A bit. But they either learn quickly to take religion in 40k seriously or end up appreciating the myriad of sadistic punishments the Ecclesiarchy gives out for weak faith.

I'm far more annoyed with how most players treat the Machine Cult as mobile equipment dispensers.

As an addendum to this, don't get cocky. The local tech-priest in our OW game once faced several people, one was a ganger with a shotgun. Being a melee fighter, he decided not to dodge the shotgun, playing the odds he'd take the hit decently with armour an toughness.

He failed to take Scatter at point blank into consideration and only has 9 wounds.

Yeah, pre-errata Scatter was kinda bullshit.

>pre-errata
user, scatter only changed once.
In DH2e, it's back to multiple hits.

Is it really? Well shit.

So Veeky Forums, I've been mulling over the idea for a All-CSM Black Crusade campaign for the past few days and though I'd get an outside opinion on it.

The rough idea I have is for a warband that has either come from a larger warband fragmenting when it was crushed in battle or one that has simply seen an uncannily long string of ill fortune and twisted bad luck. The end result of either being a warband of nobodies with nothing to their names but the damaged and poorly maintained wargear on their backs who have nowhere to go but up.

Give a new player some protips for chargen and char advancement.

Do it, you fuck, but realize you need people who understand CSM and their motivation, just like Deathwatch.
What game line and what do you want to be good at, you twat.

OW.

>or end up appreciating the myriad of sadistic punishments the Ecclesiarchy gives out for weak faith

And the GM soon appreciates being known as That Sadistic GM.

...... what do you want to be good at, you twat?
Answer the whole post, not the first few words.
A sarge isn't a rifleman isn't a priest isn't a commissar.

Positively shocking.

It's a good premise if you've got the right people. Where would you run it, in person or online?

Nope, DH2 Scatter works like post-errata Only War.
DH2 CRB, pg. 148
"When fired at Point Blank range, this weapon
gains +10 to hit and deals +3 damage. When fired at Short range, it
gains +10 to hit. At any longer ranges, it suffers –3 damage."

Online, I've generally done small 1-4 player text-based games in the past on IRC, though with the advent of Discord I'd like to give running a game via that a shot.

>see this
>ughs internally
+3 damage is not risk/reward strong enough to get into a fucker's personal space.
I liked old scatter because it made it worthwhile to close the gap, even at cost, because your odds of completely btfo'ing a dirty heretic/corpsefucker was sky high AND you could tag a cluster of dudes if you wanted. It made the penalties of operating at the range most longarm firefights happen at less punishing. It really feels like they just wanted to shit on shotguns (again), and no GM I've ever seen greenlighted the Arbites shotgun from Book of Justice.

I'm planning to run Forgotten Gods in the new year.

Has anyone ruin it before? Did you encounter any issues? What did you change? Did you have fun?

I'm very interested, got a Discord server by chance I could join as a prospect?

Just threw this together, never actually made a server before.

discord.gg/UfkES

I listened to some guys play rogue trader on the One Shot podcast.

I've gotta say, it made rogue trader sound terrible. Combat was ridiculously slow, shallow and everything missed all the time.

Is this indicative of 40k systems as a whole, out just an instance of bad dming in the podcast?

An instance of players who never played a percentile game before.
The point of the game is to stack the odds in your favor, because at chargen, even in RT, you can expect to fail a roll 40% of the time.
The GM's fuck up, a rookie fuck up, is not offering bonuses to the roll, thinking that every roll must be flat or with a penalty because muh grimdark.
Combat is simpler than some systems, but thrives on it's tactics. You take cover in a firefight, you throw grenades from cover, you lock people down with suppressing fire before you send some dudes in with shotguns and flamers to clean out a rat nest.
The podcast sounds like a buncha mongs who made all the rookie mistakes, maybe even on purpose.

I'm thinking of running an Only War game, based around the Desert Rats/Lawrence of Arabia.

So It'd clearly be a Tallern Regiment, but I'm debating how to build it from there.

I'll probably only have 3 or 4 players, so I don't think playing as a squad with a chimera would be a problem, but I'd also like them be able to dismount and raid supply posts and things like that.

Suggestions on how to build the regiment? Cool plot ideas and missions?

If we do end up with a chimera, I think I'll do part of squad progression as them slowly upgrading it, installing various vehicle upgrades, until it's gone from a scouting vehicle to a light tank for the final fights.

How about Tauros/Tauros Venator as vehicle options?
Lends itself more to rapid attacks/raids.

Would also fit the "Desert Raiders" a bit more.

Why not just horses or some other organic mount? They can all get really attached as well.

Supply line raiding can be a semi-frequent activity that changes as the enemy's anti-raider tactics develop.

Kidnapping/assassinating important military or government personal, linking up with local fighters and negotiating for their aid, preforming terror attacks or getting propaganda to the local populace to win hearts and minds are all solid objectives.

Any must-have psychic powers in OW?

Could do that, but wouldn't it basically force them all to be operators so as to be able to make decent operate roles? I'd like them to be using the vehicle for combat occasionally, and as a narrative tool to let them move around, not be the only way they do combat.

Also, I just like the Chimera, and all the options for slowly upgunning and uparmoring it, as well as different weapons for different missions.

Using Horses could be fun, and they'd certainly get attached to them. How good are the rules for mounted combat?

I suppose one big question is what sort of thing the players like. Personally, the idea of some shared player resource like a ship, vehicle, or base that you can upgrade is a ton of fun, but that's not necessarily true of everyone.

All of those sound like great ideas. Working with local resistance and delivering supplies, convey raids, hiding from enemy patrol and air cover, raids into towns...

Is there any premade stuff I could adapt, either official or third party? Maps, characters, towns, encounters, options for how the war can flow?

Someone explain me vehicle combat in ow. Can't handle that shit as gm.

It is just like regular combat but with some different actions and using facings.

Alright, but can you simplify it to me? I cant find myself in the vehicle combat part of the book in ow..

Perhaps they could be under the vehicle section of combat.

I think it's under the combat section, then there's a subsection on vehicles.

Basically the driver usually goes first, then the other people in the vehicle can go, either firing vehicle or personal weapons, or other actions within the vehicle.

My GM let the driver delay sometimes, so we could fire without movement penalties, and then the driver could take a half move.

Basically, some different actions for the driver based on operate tests, BS penalties for firing from a moving vehicle, and different critical tables.

Also, most combat vehicles have enough soak that you need to flank them, or be using heavy weapons to do anything.

Hey TG this is going to be my first time running a Dark Heresy 1e game, are there any modules you would recommend? The party consists of a cleric, a psyker, a sororitas, and a tech priest if that helps.

Thanks man

How are you getting damage rerolls from that? Lucius doesn't give anything that changes electrical damage, Metallica does, and even then it's just tearing, not rerolls.

I recommend switching to 2e and the same sector from 1e

They're all pretty good. I preferred Edge of Darkness to Shattered Hopes.

After reading the rules for 1E, maybe the man wants to play 1E and not waste more time reading rules.

i had a really good GM who knew everyone's characters well. We were playing a published adventure that i still haven't read so idk if he added this or what but I was presented with the opportunity to drink an entire tribe of feral worlders under the table and succeeded with flying colors thanks to sound constitution. This saved my party an entire session of combat and allowed everyone else to go looking for heresy while i was distracting the rest of the village.

Sound constitution gives you more wounds, it has nothing to do with how much you can drink.

U wot? The drinks were actually causing damage?

what kind of games are you playing where non-imperium food (or heck, even most imperium food) isn't about to kill you?

PLASTIC SISTERS HYPE!!!!!!

get the fuck out to general or wip

Unlikely, but worth asking: do Thallax have stats in any of the books?

Thinking of using one as a "boss fight", the party is currently on the trail of a Heretek who has access to a cache of Great Crusade era gear.

If it doesn't exist, any rough idea how to stat one up?

Mars Needs Women has you covered, senpai. All their gear and weapons are in there.

I always overlooked the homebrews in the OP.

Time to read them all!

Anons, what if I want my Acolytes to be recieving missions from an agent who's only known as the Secretive Old Man, wherein their missions are to search for clues to the whereabouts of any seemingly important Chaos Space Marines he'd been hunting? How should I do this? Is this a good idea?

The twist is that he'd killed their Inquisitor and that the PCs wouldn't know that the Secretive Old Man took over his job, as he'd only speak to them through encrypted messages and dead drops. Pic related.

I keep screwing up my post.

I would drop the name 'Secretive Old Man'.

It sounds like an alright idea, though tracking CSM can be pretty tricky. Why not just have their Inquisitor send them messages through an encrypted channel and after a slight silence following a mission be picked up by someone else?

I also don't understand the significance of the DA's Dreadnought

It's really hard to reply like that. Your third message seems identical to your first.

What stats would a Left 4 Dead Tank have in Dark Heresy 2nd e?

>Why not just have their Inquisitor send them messages through an encrypted channel and after a slight silence following a mission be picked up by someone else?

Oh, good idea!

The DA dread is part of the joke, since the DA are Secretive, and Venerable Dreadnoughts are Old Men. May or may not have the guy who killed their Inquisitor actually be a Dreadnought for a bit of silliness. "I'm gonna hunt down the Fallen and make him pay for putting me in this box!

I screwed up spoilering it the first time, then accidently replied to it the second time. It really triggered my autism when I screwed up my little joke.

She a cute!

Various malignancies, plus Swollen Brute, Cannibalistic Urge, possibly It Will Not Die!.

Like an ogryn but with some stat changes.

Reminds me of an Auran Broodlord, but you can probably scrap the Unnatural Agility/Speed and give it more strength/toughness instead.

Frankly, those things take literally hundreds of shots to kill, depending on difficulty, and can throw cars and knock survivors several meters at a time. It's also slow as hell, so having some Athletics boost so it jumps instead of running may make more sense.

The Auran Broodlord is featured on Page 46 of Deathwatch - The Emperor Protects.

The Astartes and the Inquisition have a tense but working relationship, and out of the two, the Astartes are the less likely to go radical.

If you do decide to go that way, I would reconsider their original Inquisitor's integrity.
There are Inquisitors willing to flirt with the archenemy for power, or think they can control it to win.
warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Torquemada_Coteaz

He's an example of someone willing to execute Inquisitors if they flirt with the warp, and I can see such hardline radicals picking up traitor's acolyte teams, I'm not sure if Dreadnoughts are really that involved.

Nah, the Dreadnought part was a joke, but now I want to actually do it just because.

Kinda sad that I screwed up the joke though.

But anyways, to explain it more for people who don't know much about DA Lore, Venerable Dreadnoughts are part of the Deathwing, and therefore know of the Fallen and actively hunt down Fallen Angels.

This could actually tie in to the fact that the CSM that they're hunting down are actually Fallen, but without them actually knowing this bit.

A roar is heard in the street of the lower hab block, and a light armoured vehicle is tossed through the air
Acolyte: "Run or Shoot? Run or shoot?!

Inquisitor: "Both!"

One of my RT players wants to play an Arch-Militant from a frontier world-- literal old west style frontier-- but the revolvers we found all sucked so we sat down and specced out a Bolt Revolver:
CLASS: Pistol
DAMAGE: 1d10+6
PEN: 4
RANGE: 30m
ROF: 5/-/-
CLIP: 4
RELOAD: 2 full
SPECIAL RULES: Tearing, Reliable, accurate, +2 Initiative, +10 to attacks.

This all looked fine to me on paper but the player just absolutely obliterated a warp daemon that was supposed to be at least 3 or 4 rounds of combat with a single shot to the left leg, but i'm not sure if the gun is broken or the character's broken. Input?

No, I recognise that, I'm just saying there might need to be some justification to murder an Inquisitor.

I'm just wondering how your team will react when they realise he was impersonating their former boss. Might need a reason to trust him, assuming you want them to.

Suffer not the witch to live.

Well, easy in-universe justification is that the DA actually will and do murder anyone who finds out about the Fallen. Including/Especially Inquisitors.

Gonna have to work on the second part though.