Every village has a giant that protects it. If that giant dies a new one will be born into that village

Every village has a giant that protects it. If that giant dies a new one will be born into that village.

Cities might have multiple giants, or even a Titan if they're large and important enough.

Your party is a group of giants that are village-less, either due to famine, disease, exile or just bad luck.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UXMYrjMc6qs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reminds me of Black & White

I love this idea.

I feel like I've seen this thread.

That said, still a decent idea. What do they fight though? What sorts of giants are there? Do they have any special abilities, aside from being large?

Post Giants.

Giants are always born of normal parents. They know when they have a giant for a child when they have a baby that's the size of a four year old.

Giants are of any race, You could get giant elves, Giant orcs, Giant halflings, ect.

>They know when they have a giant for a child when they have a baby that's the size of a four year old.
RIP their mother

How about a magically-induced growth spurt after 6 months? Still fairly early, but doesn't destroy their mother's abdomen like a slightly-lower chestburster.

I'd say growth spurt inside of a few hours or days after birth.

>What do they fight?

Dragons obviously, The anscestral Giant enemy. Though maybe this was in antiquity when dragons were common place. Now a days its more common threats like goblins, roving behemoth beasts, or plain old bandits.

Or they could be saddled with heavy labor, or laze about all day if its peaceful.

>Special abilites
Well i'd say that you could have a sub type towards being elemental, a type that's more nature, and another that's can gain powers from eating monsters or rare plants or something.

>Do they have any special abilities, aside from being large?
They can probably tame other giant creatures pretty well.

Probably 5 pseudoeastern elements: Air, Water, Earth, Wood, Fire. In this setup, Wood would represent the general nature-y type. Maybe add in divine and infernal if you like that cosmological setup (or just like giant tieflings).

If you want it more split up, split Wood into bestial and environmental.

Then base abilities off it from there.

What's the difference between Giants and Titans?

20 feet and 52 feet?

Titans are less people and more forces of nature.

Giants are around 2.5-3 times the size of a normal person.

Titans are walking mountains.

This is good and all
But how do we fuck the giants

Well since you're a giant yourself, Like a normal person.

I am a giant enthusiast

Giants are cool, if under-utilised. I like the occasionally used of Giants and Dragons as opposing forces to various degrees.

I'm currently playing a Goliath in a 4e game, from a culture reverent of Giants, its philosopher kings who rule from the peaks and spend their long years in debate and research, studying the stars or unravelling the nature of life itself. And occasionally stepping on any difficult types who make trouble for them or their followers.

It's a fun cultural relationship to write because the Giants don't exactly care for their followers. They keep them around because they're useful and occasionally take interest in one or another, but the Giants- often quite literally- have their heads in the clouds, leaving the Goliaths to deal with the everyday practical matters of their isolated kingdoms.

>What do they fight though?
Other giants, because sports. Go local giant! Defeat Other Town Giant!

>not joining your local giant watchers club

This man has vision

So like Alexander from Final Fantasy?

Did you have a point in making this thread again? This sounds like you're pitching a Q*est.

Yes. Okay. Accepted. Again. Now what?

I think primary point was to engage in a world building exercise
The secondary was an excuse to post giant tits
and engage in giantess fetishism

Primary point was world building exersise.

There were no secondary points.

Nah my secondary point is raging pretty hard

Kinda yeah, Oh, throw in the whole "Carrying a city on their back thing." from that one setting.

That might be cool.

>giants on giants
Is it giants all the way down?

So why doesn't OP pose some questions that he thinks needs answering?

Here are some points.

Firstly, what do you mean a giant will be born into the village? Does some random baby magically get chosen to be a giant if their giant is dead?

The thought of villagers having to protect and feed this protogiant until it's big enough to defend them is pretty cool.

Do villages bring their giants to war against other giants?

How long has this arrangement been a thing?

Why mention a specific party quest prompt?

Honestly OP you should have just taken the mild success of the last thread and got to writing some setting information on your own.

I dunno, at some point you get to normal sized people

My favourite model from the original Reaper Bones kickstarter. Dat smirk.

I'd play it.
Funny enough, would fit well even with some lore from my setting, what with having a deity whose title is "Mother of Titans" (whose dogma is 'protect the small and weak')

At this point, if we stick to cities on back, we have at least 2 sizes: 10 meter, and city-scale.

Are the city-sized ones on a continental-sized beast? Are the continent ones on a giant space-beast? Does it just skip a step and go straight to world-class?

>Does some random baby magically get chosen to be a giant if their giant is dead?
Yes

> Do villages bring their giants to war against other giants?
Most certainly, Especially if they're a large enough settlement to have two or even three giants.

>How long has this arrangement been a thing?
Good question, I personally like "Since time immemorial" Though it could be "Since the Dragon Wars a thousand years ago" Plenty of wiggle room, but it should be considered at least a several generations.

>Why mention a specific party quest prompt?
Intro campaign hook?

The main problem I see with an entire PARTY being like this is that it's written itself into a corner.

If an established village will have a giant born into it when their old one dies, are the PCs just meant to be a sort of stand-in until the new giant takes their place?

Should the PCs establish a city/town/village of their own to obtain a more permanent station? If an entire party is giants, does this make it so that they'll gradually lose party members as more and more of them find/establish villages to protect?

What exactly determines a giant's stake in things? Why should they care about the small people in their midst, other than some sort of esoteric force?

Giants in this context seem to have an inbuilt desire to protect. I can see the party being ronin-esque Giants. Those who lost the community they loved and guarded, through failure or ill fortune or some other grim circumstance. Now, deprived of their charge, they band together and wander the world to protect those in need, and to ensure that others of their kin need not suffer the same fate. The pain and sorrow of a protector who failed their people.

As long as we have a thread about big guys up: what's the best game for handling characters (if possible, party members) on different scales, at the level of OP's picture? I have a few that can hack it, but what are the options?

I would prefer if it was some kind of magic spirit instead of a giant. It would be a nice hint to actual patron deities that existed in real life and were supposed to protect the cities.

There could just be a call to arms by the nation's leaders to face some unknown threat.
Instead of conscripting the peasants, they conscript their giants.

Or for whatever reason, the giants must band together to save their respective villages by obtaining emergency supplies through a harsh winter during a Behemoth Beast migration.

There are options.

In that case, would it mean that giants would likely have some sort of political power? In war actions especially, a giant would likely have a say in whether or not something would make their job as protector needlessly difficult. Or do the populace just say "fuck it we're fighitng anyway"?

I suppose that would change from village to village based on the temperament of the Giant. Some might avoid politics entirely, others might be overly protective and almost mother their people into 'doing the right thing', yet others might be brutal oppressors and tyrants.

That might be another natural role of those wandering bands, naturally finding themselves drawn to places where a Giant has lost their way and indulged in the power they hold over their people rather than doing their duty to safeguard them.

I think that would depend on the village in question.

I can even imagine places where having a giant would be more burden than boon. Like a farming village in a particularly peaceful area. They still get a giant, but all they do is laze about all day, eating all their extra food they were going to put to market.

That could be a less dramatic background for PC giants in the party OP describes: they realized they were being foodsinks and layabouts, so decide to go where they're actually needed.

>Every village has a giant that protects it. If that giant dies a new one will be born into that village.

>Cities might have multiple giants, or even a Titan if they're large and important enough.

>Your party is a group of giants that are village-less, either due to famine, disease, exile or just bad luck.

When a Giant dies his energy goes back to his town and infest some people that becomes a giant.

A Titan is a giant arcane empowered.

In old days lots of giants were slayed and their energies roam around creating Kaiju like beasts.

this is the world were men will figth swarms of Giant locust, toxic breath chimeras,ancient war artifacts and evil organizations.

>on Fight Day all the kids of the village wear specially coloured clothes, and tie ribbons of the same colour to their giant
>As the giants fight, the most daring children run out onto the battlefield and scoop up dropped ribbons as trophies
>the giants are thus constantly looking down and adjusting their footing to avoid squashing the kids

youtube.com/watch?v=UXMYrjMc6qs

And what happens to the giants who have no village, who see their people being discarded as unnecessary wastes when the world is at peace?

Well they probably pick a fight with another giant or come to lament their situation instead of doing something about it, eventually developing resentment for the system.

Basically like every other depressed person that isn't yet ready to solve their own problems.

You know what would be a great system for this setting?
Fantasy Craft.
Seriously. Giants are already a core race.

The OP image would suggest they're already aware of that.

If the entire party is giants then the system you use having rules for giants is actually rather less important. Race rules and stuff generally matters for distinction between PCs, but if they're all the same race and on the same scale then you don't really need specific rules, just general principles that apply to all the PCs to represent them operating on a larger scale than most creatures.

I'd probably just have them use the same rules as humans/human sized things for the giant scale and simplify/abstract the stuff smaller than them. A lot simpler that way.

Your way sounds more complicated, actually.

Why? Most significant threats they'll be facing will be on the giant scale anyway, and you can likely adapt rules for Swarms and such for groups of normal enemies.

Think about it in terms of what the PCs will actually be interacting with. Most of the time, it'll be on their own scale, so it's simplest to use core rules to govern the actions on their scale, and it's a lot easier to extrapolate down rather than trying to scale up in my experience.

Which core rules? What system?

Any. It's a general principle. Use the simplest set of rules for the sort of thing you'll be dealing with most often in the campaign.

Trying to do it in D&D of some sort and actually using the full normal rules for human scale stuff would end up a nightmare of checking exceptions and stat differences and trying to handle a layer of complexity which is honestly unnecessary for the small scale stuff that'll only get more complex for the large scale.

Instead, set 'Giants' as the normal scale of the game, and work from there.

How will romance between a normal person and a giant work. Enlarge and shrink spells?

>Spelunking

The human has to learn their entire body.
The giant has to learn to be very careful.

Someone, somewhere will have perfected the 'Extraordinary Elasticity' spell.

And an immunity to suffocation one

I think equipping out your giant/titan would be an indirect form of warfare/social competition between settlements. Like there would be periodic meet and greets so the giant(esses) know each other in case they have to team up against a threat, and making sure your giant was property kitted out would be a big fucking deal.

It'd be neat if if giants did become tyrannical it would typically be out of their overriding need to protect going too far rather than greed or a lust for power. Things like the giant has everyone working themselves to the limit to build walls granaries, wells, and cisterns against famine or attack so you occasionally run across villages that are full of people who are exhausted, and just this side of malnourished, but are so heavily fortified they could hold out against your average mongol horde. Or more like a total nanny state, where the giant is just micromanaging everything, it's not bad per se, it's just they want whats best for you all and there is a PLAN and why are you being DIFFICULT? (see that C.S. Lewis line about nothing being so horrible as a tyranny put in place with sincerely good intentions).

I just fucking loved this idea.

I see the giants as being a cross between parental figures and divine figures of worship. Sort of how lots of places had their own local saints or gods that protected the area, except actually real. To the giants, the village is their children to be looked after. As always though, there are good parents and bad parents.

Presumably the giants would have a much longer lifespan than humans. I'm not sure how reproduction would work. Having them not reproduce naturally or not reproduce at all would add to their god-like nature, while the opposite would make them more human-like.

But if they were to reproduce, the giants wouldn't be able to live together (excepting the rare city), so maybe they go into heat every few decades and leave their villages to find a mate, after which they return.

You wouldn't want every village to have a giant protecting it in the setting - those places will serve both as an example of how important the giants are to the healthy functioning of a village, but also as places for the party to save.

>I feel like I've seen this thread.
that's 'cause this exact post was in another thread the other day

You ask the wizard to cast Enlarge on you

What sort of threat justifies a multi-giants party? Murders of dragons stalking the land? (if the official designation for a group of dragons is not a murder i would be extremely disappointed)

>village1 has female giant
>village2 has male giant
>village2 giant comes and rapes village1 giant and you can see the process from many miles away lol

what happens next?

Other giants

Why have dragons be their ancestral enemy?
Why not have dragons as mounts for giants?

Local wizards would use magic on lizards, snakes, crocodiles, etc. to create a small dragon, and send it to a giant of promise who has to take care of it until it is big enough to fly the giant around.

Would certainly make giants more mobile, since now they can fly over dense cityblocks and thin bridges etc.

Castration by a village-worth of enraged "children" with scissors, axes and treesaws.
An awesome show.

Because this setup makes sense If there's something really dangerous and Evil that might've destroyed mankind, except for the Giants.
Dragons are the best option: they represent untamed natural power, and were characterized as evil and vicious in medieval europe And as impersonal and supernatural in east asia. You do both And you have the Perfect antagonists for giants and titans.

So what, is the only way to stop giants is to completely destroy the city?

Seems like a double-edged sword desu.

Well a giant being born into the village could be the will of local spirits and deitites.

Post more giants to spark more discussion!

How different from the base race are giants?

Does the aspect and form of the local guardian spirit affect the giant's form?

Ogres and trolls are giants born from monsters and or giants gone insane from loneliness

I imagine the biggest giants wouldn't see directly what's happening on the ground and would start relying on advisers to tell them. An 'evil' giant could have good intentions but be guided by a corrupt human.

I can imagine there being a great variety of giants. From common hills and plains giants in most places to craggy mountain giants or more primal Frost, Flame and Cloud giants. Maybe even artificial Giants in some places, great colossi of iron and bronze, or necromantic Giants, old bones risen up by the spirit of some watchful ancestor to protect their descendants.

>and making sure your giant was property kitted out would be a big fucking deal.
Meanwhile the giants themselves would probably see it as some ridiculous thing. I mean, imagine that every time you were gonna go drinking with your bros, your entire neighborhood preened and dressed you up to be the coolest motherfucker in your group, when really all you want to do is get your booze on and talk about the last week.

Titans maybe but regular giants are still small enough that normal humans come up to about their knees

I like Giants and all, but if they get TOO BIG I can't divorce myself from the logistical impossibility of keeping them fed.
So really, two or three stories tall or so is perfect, but when they get to be the size of a skyscraper, how do they live?

If they're magically empowered guardian entities, who says to say they have to eat at all? They might want to, or enjoy it, but there's no real reason for that kind of thing to be a limitation on the setting.

This fits with titans. Which are rare enough for only one or two to live on a single landmass

I assume magic it what keeps them fed as long as they get X% of the nutrients they'd realistically need
I'd say they should be no more than 60ft max though

Titans should be more elemental than flesh though, I agree here

I always figured it should be like Fury or something.

A dragon

A fury of dragons

Yes i would like a deep fried ox with some dinner rolls as a side.

Typical giant breakfast

Something like this

A gaggle of dtagons

Get your thinly veiled fetish threads out of here, degenerate.

It was just fine until the fetishists came. So the easiest way to do giants in pathfinder/d&d would be scale every thing down except for the players.

The players are still "medium" its hus every thing else is tiny

An Exterminatus of dragons?

Not going to lie. This sounds fantastic

Long ago in the ages beyond written history, The a surge of power and growth flooded the world. Beasts became larger and more fantastic; and Plant life became stronger and bore strange fruit.

It is in this time of great change and prosperity, that dragons came. Some were little more than strange lizards, where others were titanic forces of nature larger than some mountains. At the same time, large humans were born into settlements, standing at least thrice the size of the tallest man.

Dragons and men clashed for rule of the land. For centuries they campaigned until Dragons had been culled into near extinction.

Man built great cities and as their settlements grew larger, More giants were born, with the grandest of cities bearing legendary Titans into the world.

However the ground quakes, the weight of man is digging into the earth, and the world might not have the strength to bear it all of it.

Every village or town with a population of at least 100 or more has a Giant. They often have similiar traits to previous giants if they had them, Like a strong resemblance or mannerisms. Like the old giant was simply born anew in a new body. Many out of the way villages worship their giant's "Guardian spirit" as it "always returns to them."

posting more giants.

Reproduction between giants would probably be a very rare thing, Extradordianrily celebrated, but rare.

Its basically like two towns merging together in a marrige of communities.

kek my city was protected by a giant

>Every village has a giant that protects it. If that giant dies a new one will be born into that village.

If you want to make this a setting where the players are giants, you need to reverse this.

If each village creates one giant, you can't have a normal party with a village relationship. The contrived scenario of a giant losing the village gives them a reason to adventure, but it means the cool thing you've built your setting around can't apply to the players. That's bad.

Reverse it. Villages do not create giants. Giants create villages.

An unknown process sometimes turns ordinary human children into giants. When a newborn babe is held beneath the sky, a rare few will begin their transformation based upon the seasons and stars (hence different elements of giant).

Humanity needs the giants to survive against the horrors of the world. Every village is based around the giant who protects it, and they will feed, clothe, and care for their protector as best they are able. Cities are prosperous enough to house multiple giants.

When a giant grows old, it adopts a young giant to learn their ways and protect that particular village. If a village can't find a giant soon when their guardian passes, they will often be destroyed within a generation. When times are harsh and fewer giants are born, humanity loses ground against the forces of chaos and destruction.

But when the stars align and the giant birth rate rises, humanity has the power to push back against the wilds and expand. Upstart young giants without a village prospect will join trade caravans, prospectors, armies, and colonists to forge new holds within the wilds and establish something to protect.

The reversal gives you a better role for your PCs to play within the society, a plausible excuse why multiple giants might band together, and a better relationship between humanity and the giants than a mystical village "do we have a giant, yes/no" sensor.

Who is this character and why does she look like what Lina Inverse wants to become?