One of my players had to duel a god's champion for their life and lost. Should they be executed, or just cursed?

One of my players had to duel a god's champion for their life and lost. Should they be executed, or just cursed?

What kind of god was it?

Did the player show martial prowess that impressed the champion enough to spare the player's life?

They now owe their life to that god, and must swear to their service until they earn their freedom or else face execution.

Depends on a few things -

>How merciful is the god?
>How much of a fight did the player put up?
>What kind of curse re we talking here? Is this the "redeem yourself in my eyes" kind of curse or the "ha, you don't have my permission to die" kind of curse? None of the above?

If the stakes were clearly set and the PC jumped on it, you'd have to be a total pussy to wuss out of it.

Pull the trigger, faggot. You win some, you lose some.

Cursed duh, suffering is much worse than death and players always deserve the best

Building on this, I'd be tempted to have the player forced to become a cleric of that particular god, and find themselves unable to do anything that contradicts that god's interests.

One of my players had to duel a god's champion for their life and lost
>For their life
The terms are clearly defined.
The diety can do with them as they please.
Most likely outcomes are either Death, or dedicating their life to spreading that diety's name and ideology.

Enslave them.

>for their life
It all depends on your relationship with the players, and the general tone of the game, but if you want your gods' decrees to have any weight of authority, and if you want death to have any "sting", then you ought to give the character the end they deserved.

However, deities can be capricious and unpredictable, so you might consider simply removing them from the player's control, and that character is transformed into some servant of the deity (like a raven, or a ...whatever) as a reward for their honourable combat and courage. OR....they could be moved into the future where the party will encounter them again, and the player will have another choice to make at a critical time....there are possibilities. But as an experienced DM, I might encourage you to not be weird or cruel about it. It doesn't add anything to the game.

They lost, so it's only right for them to face some consequences, but I'd try to make those consequences a little more interesting than "whoops, ya ded".

I'm assuming since you're consulting Veeky Forums you've left yourself some room in terms of what "your life" means. If that assumption is correct, the punishment could be anything from lifelong servitude to serving as the god's avatar.

>One of my players had to duel a god's champion for their life and lost. Should they be executed, or just cursed?

Depends on how well they impressed the champion, I imagine the champion gets some say in the matter

God is a lawful neutral god of knowledge, war, science and passion.
Player is a rogue 6 warlock 1, survived 4 rounds vs. a planetar (they had to survive for 1 minute/10 rounds and they could walk)
The player started fucking with the god's physical incarnation (cast some spells on it while they were interacting with another PC), and then pulled some clever fast talking, so the god allowed a duel where each chose a champion. The god chose a planetar, and the rogue chose... himself.
He promptly got his ass kicked, and now we're here.

>God is a lawful neutral god of knowledge, war, science and passion
>Player is a rogue 6 warlock 1
>The player started fucking with the god's physical incarnation

He is so very, very dead.

>Lawful Neutral
He's fucked.

Alright so heres the only way I can see your player escaping with his life. You have to bring in another god to save him, preferable an evil/trickster god who wants to fuck with the fist god. Otherwise no reason for the lawful neutral god not to kill him.

There's fucked, and then there's losing a duel to a Lawful Neutral god of war and passion after pissing him off.

>Lawful Neutral God of War
>Agreed to a duel for his life

He's FUCKED.

Oh man the Krynn trilogy of gold box games were awesome.
In fact all of the gold box games were awesome.

Obvious dumbass Rogue as he could've made the god fight and it couldn't back out of the arrangement. As it is curse him with a supernatural sense or order and obedience.

Good point I suppose.
I've never actually killed a player, so I'm a little worried. Should I have him roll up a new character of the same level? Or what?

He does stuff like this all the time, but he's lucky enough (or his character is skilled enough) that he gets away with it. What's a good class that pushes him away from acting like a jackass? He never did this shit in our old campaign, it was just once he started playing a rogue.

"Kill" the player, pull a Jesus.

You know how Jesus kept appearing in new bodies after he died in the Bible?

Do that.

The rogue is forced into lawful neutral alignment, must follow the will of the god, and each day he has a new body.

He "dies", is cursed and must serve.

I guess that is appropriate punishment for a lvl 6 idiot fucking with gods.

Like kill the player, and then have a literal unknown character appear next to the corpse, buttnaked.

The idea of a player looting his own corpse sounds really amusing to me.

>roll up a new character of the same level

That's usually how it's done. As for a non-loony class, I would guess some kind of martial like a Fighter or Monk if it's 5e. Just try to keep him away from a Chaotic alignment.

make him roll random for class gender and race every time he dies as well.

>lawful neutral god
Most obvious route is he is a dead bitch

BUT

>lawful neutral god of knowledge, science, passion, and war

Character forced to become a paladin of that god
>character becomes ghostrider

now don't wanna be harsh if you want them to stick around. If its too bad they will just kill themselves and re-roll another character then deal with that with the punishment.

sure but good luck getting the player to play a character that restricted. the player will Probably just say eh fuck it and kill themselves then deal with that shit

I still fap to her.

They belong to that God now. The fought a duel against the mortal agent of the god, the stakes being their life and lost. I'd say that God owns them now, body and soul.

>you will never be a concubine for the War and Passion Goddess of Knowledge

Why even adventure?