What would be an interesting religion for dwarves besides ancestors worship?

What would be an interesting religion for dwarves besides ancestors worship?

Other urls found in this thread:

imperial-library.info/content/morrowind-words-clan-mother-ahnissi-her-favored-daughter
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29996389/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Volcanoes

dragon worship

A god of commerce or commerce itself. Each transaction being a prayer, large financial deals being a religious ceremony.

The planet itself, in a semi-antagonist:
>I.E. the Great Earth Mother challenges us daily to eek out a living from Her bounty, only if we have the strength to take it from Her.

Or, conversely, being militarily and aggressively atheist.

The dwemer already did that and fucked themselves out of existence with their euphoria.

Only because they made that giant robot.

>A god of commerce or commerce itself. Each transaction being a prayer, large financial deals being a religious ceremony.
So Yahweh?

Jesus Christ dude, we get it, your parents made you go to church when you were a kid and now you're euphoric from your superior intellect.

>I.E. the Great Earth Mother challenges us daily to eek out a living from Her bounty, only if we have the strength to take it from Her.

I like this concept, sounds very pragmatic.
No endless ceremony or pointless dogmas like those weird humans, just take what you need.

A desert war god who despises pigs and shellfish

Elf worship

Fantasy Buddhism

Death worship, imagery of maggots.

They were as maggots in the flesh of Ymir before being given reason by the gods.

Marxism

it's a pretty shitty real life religion, but maybe with dwarves it'd be cool

>I played neither Dragon Age nor Warhammer Fantasy

In my home campaign, New Dwarves are created by carving them out of precious metal/gems and bringing them alive into flesh and blood.
As such they Unintentionally revere gold and gems as near divine like relics that give life. Tending to take trade and commence seriously- "Trading Life for blood sweat and work" which they do consider noble, but going back on a bargain is almost high blasphemy.

The official dwarven religion is a reverence for life where they go out and help perpetuate it however they can, in other species or nature. Often leading to some very confused dwarves trying to understand the world outside their caves but they mean well.

>Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves
Not Op, but neither to do. Please go on...

...they have ancestor worship, I have no idea why he said that.

Dwemer were Elves not Dwarves.

They are conceptually the dwarves of the setting, don't be a pedant.

Yes conceptually but only because bethesda decided oh shit we need dwarves, and added in a book that explained why the Dwemer were colloquially known as dwarves, ifrc it boiled down to a mis-translation and something to do with giants, actual giants.

besides my point was if you want to discuss dwarves, Dwemer do not count as dwarves, they are, and as far as i know, always have been, elves.

>TES
>orcs are elves
>khajiit are elves
>dwarves are elves
>Bretons are half-elves

Too many things are elves in TES. Saying that something is an elf in TES is almost meaningless. The main differences in TES are between man, mer, and the beast races.

Dwemer were known for their underground complexes, insular society, conflict with elves, and their engineering prowess. They were just weird dwarves. They are now the skin of a giant robot, or something.

I think Khajiit are a beast race, but i see your point, still i don't think of them as something to be discussed alongside or compared to say, Gimli, or King Orik, or Bruenor Battlehammer, but perhaps that's just me.

stone-worship

Fuck off, really? I came into the thread just to post about my own volcano dwarves!
Well, maybe this means I'm onto something good.

>facebook filename
as expected of newfag /pol/-kun

Dwarves, or their analogue in my setting have a kinda purity cult. which is symbolized in the refining of metal ores into their pure form. Their society and technology level is rather tribal, as is their imagination quite limited. but their skill with refining creates raw materials for other species' great works. which the dwarves see as an extension of their beliefs. unrefined to refined and useful/part of something greater.

Alcohol... They worship all alcohol. The higher the proof the higher in the pantheon that alcohol is.

>khajiit are elves
u wot

Fossil/Dinosaur worship, believing them to be some sort of pre-dwarves themselves, being burried in not earth but the rock itself, they must have been grand spirits of stone.

Also by extension, Avians.

Yup, khajit might or might not be mer.

Where can I find the source of this information

imperial-library.info/content/morrowind-words-clan-mother-ahnissi-her-favored-daughter

tl;dr Bosmer and Khajiit (may) have (had) a common ancestor, which diverged under the influences of Y'ffre and Azura, respectively.

khajit themselves revere the shit out of azura, and the fact that the moon phases determine what kind of cat gets born definitely puts them out of the realm of elves. The moon phase thing definitely because the moons are the remains of the god of mankind.

I can't remember where I read that, but I know it has something to do with Azura and how she made them look like cats or something.

But user I tought Tolkien based the dwarves on the jews.

oh

Maybe he did and maybe he didn't, kind of irrelevant.

>muh lost home. muh wandering tribes.

It really fits for The Hobbit. His dwarves break away from it in The Lord of the Rings, imo.

The beast races are elves too
I rather like it. Gives everything a mythological cohesion without making them culturally too similar

>dwarves delve too greedily and awaken a monster that eradicates them

Hahaha.................

Well, no; the Khajiit are the only ones that might be. Argonians, say, are descended from sentient trees.

Their language was somewhat Semitic, but their runes are Germanic. They're a bit of a mish-mash. People forget that in lieu of the more clear-cut explanations.

I thought the hist modified local fauna to make argonians

I don't get it.

It's a metaphor for Imperial Japan in WWII.

it's a veiled reference by that user to Adolf Hitler.

>his setting doesn't have sacred dwarven prostitutes

But we were talking about Jews, not elevens.
That makes a bit more sense if you squint, but it's still dumb.

Does he despise them, or love them, and wishes them spared from the plates of his chosen people?

I'm guessing most Dwarves are made of iron, steel and normal rocks?

Got any tales about gem Dwarves?

i never said it wasn't dumb, my friend.

It's probably a reference to the Jews being historically kicked out or killed in various societies that they enter in, often with accusations of being greedy or something.

Thus, according to user, their greed awakens anger in the government or population around them and leads to their downfall.

[/spoiler]God damn guys, I go to /pol/ too, but not fucking everything has to be about Jews.[/spoiler]

As that other user said it's still pretty fucking dumb.

There some some /pol/lacks that only ever see things through that lense.

Take the Terry Pratchett route. Dwarves don't have a religion, per se, but being a Dwarf is a religion in and of itself. Also they believe the universe was spontaneously written into existence by the universe itself.

For some reason, if one must come up with something completely out of left field, dwarves strike me as the type to worship something very abstract and conceptual. Gods have been done, ancestral spirits have been done, a Ferengi-style profit-driven society has been done.

But what about dwarves' superstitions regarding names and runes? Perhaps that could be elaborated into an entire religion that revolves around reverence for the written (or in dwarves' case, graven) word. This might come along with a prohibition against direct depiction (cf. Islam), and a highly philosophical outlook among dwarven clergy, who would be in effect rather like structuralist linguists.

Man being polish by descent that is a little hurtful but i understand why that's a thing,.

Animism.

I thought I was the only one

Terry Pratchets dwarves had this.

Also kind of Dragon Age, right?

Generosity, Repetition and Wheels.
>archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/29996389/

It's not dumb. Actually, it must be fairly compelling if so many anons go out of their way to call it dumb. It coincides pefectly with the "Dwarves = Jews" lens that was being discussed earlier.

Now that, that lens, THAT is what is dumb, because Dwarves being partly inspired by Semitic influences does not make them analagous to Jews, and to consider them in that manner is doing a serious disservice to the highly original masterpiece that literally all of fantasy is derived from.

Making these connections doesn't become stupid the minute you notice one that you don't like. It's inherently reductive.

One of the art (or maybe lore) books has him mention that no, the dwarves weren't based on or intended to be jewish. But after it was been pointed out to him he was pretty accepting of the comparison and it may well have influenced his later works.

Dragon age dwarves seem kind of animistic actually

I was referring to the lens you speak of, although clearly not as, well, clearly. I know that Tolkien took some inspiration from Jews for his Dwarves, but by and large his greater influence was Norse Mythology, which /pol/tards seem to overlook.

I'm not too familiar with Animism, could you elaborate? and while that may be true they do seem to elevate the written/carven/graven word if not to a religious level, but certainly made it intrinsic to their worship of the Stone and their ancestors.

omg YES

Animism is more or less the belief in the inanimate having souls. Ancestor worship also seems to be a quality in animistic faiths

Their worship of the stone is what seems animistic, though I suppose it isn't really if the stone is actually alive. Or maybe it would just be considered a fantasy version of animism?

I see, and well considering revelations from Inquisition DLC, the Stone is literally alive, and also technically a Titan or 40.

So upset that you haven't reached intellectual enlightenment, we get it. Superbowl is that way.

God damn it, you beat me to it.

Check "The Dwarves" , a Book Series from Markus Heitz.

There is also a videya coming out.

Basically the God of Craftmanship Made the dwarves to Protect the other "good" Races. Doesn't mean they like elves. But they Take their Job seriously.

Beard worship.

Game is already out. Gameplay and story is decent but too short and not enough playtime for 35 bucks. Still, voice actors are quite good.

>Basically the God of Craftmanship Made the dwarves to Protect the other "good" Races
What a bunch of special snowflakes.

I usually have my dwarves practice a sort of Zen-Buddhist practice of non-religion. The idea of not having faith but instead believing in your own experiences combined with the idea of trusting your gut, in a sense, to guide you both seem very dwarven.

Argonians are bio weapons created from black marsh fauna by the Hist.

Mine worship the earth itself, personified as a thousand-armed diety. Ore is the blood of God, and mountains are the protrusions of the its thousand arms. In dwarvish, mountains and fist are the same word, so you get many mountains in dwarvish regions named stuff like "Grey Fist" when translated to the common tongue.

Ore being the blood of God also ties in with (in my setting) how dwarves have mithril in their veins as opposed to the iron humans have. This is the only source of mithril, so mithril equipment is rare and its method of crafting is a carefully guarded secret.

They are technically "elves" by biological relation in Tamriel, but everything about them is dwarven. I see absolutely no reason they should not be included in discussions of dwarves.

Dwarfs allied with Dragons would be the dopest shit.

Dwarfs enhance Dragons with armour and stuff, Dragons help defend Dwarf holds.

I interpret them differently, rather they are the Elves to the Elves in the setting. The only reason anyone got anywhere near to even inconveniencing them was because they were fighting a war on two fronts, both above and below ground. Otherwise, they were quite literally unassailable thanks to their unique fusion of magic and technology, they are not dwarves at all, in my view. You and I are, of course, allowed to disagree.

What would it take for a dwarf to become an avatar of the elements Earth and Fire?

>user isn't enlightened enough to know that the Superb Owl isn't until February

You're absolutely right, you're entirely allowed to be wrong if you choose to be.

But you're still wrong.

This gets interesting with more mechanical dwarves, because it'd mean they'd probably start drinking mouthwash and make beer that could be used as engine fuel.

The underground society and fusion of magic and technology are both staples of dwarves in fantasy though, while also being the antithesis of stereotypical fantasy elves. On the flipside, I don't see anything about the dwemer that makes them comparable to elves ither than the fact that in the lore of TES, they are biologically of elven(mer) descent. But as others have said, so many races in TES are biologically elves that saying a TES race is an elf is basically meaningless.

>dwarves have mithril in their veins as opposed to the iron humans have
Oh shit! That's clever as hell and I wish I'd thought of it.

I was just gonna post the same thing. In my home campaign The dwarves war shipped a Volcano so much it ascended into godhood. The issue is it still communicates to its followers like a normal volcano.

Actually, neither of us are wrong, Elder Scrolls lore is never very clear on anything, so both interpretations exist, and are both equally valid. I never claimed to have the position on an objective truth here, save that the Dwemer while called Dwarves are actually Elves regardless of flavor or fluff. I've looked quite deep into the lore of one of my favorite series of all time, and from what is known to be absolute truth about the Dwemer, shows them to have very little in common with any fantasy dwarves I know of, I could be wrong there, but i'm fairly sure i'm not.

I never said either of those tropes were untrue, but compared to typical dwarves, the Dwemer do not share the love of alcohol, the stature, the Devotion to a religion or something approximating that, you only ever see their culture through the eyes of another culture, like Vivec and his "dwarves worshipped their twin gods of reason and logic" crap, it's unlikely ,and intimated in several places, that they did not actually worship these ideals but viewed them more akin to the way we view reason and logic as virtues, and as evidenced by the remains of their society worked out very well for them until they decided to fuck with the power of gods, which objectively exist on Nirn.

Listen, you can try to make it more abstract but the fundamental truth is dwemer occupy the niche of 'dwarf' in the setting, a fact even acknowledged BY the internal fluff.

They are 'elves,' in the same way that orcs are also 'elves' in TES, but that doesn't affect the clear intent of their flavor and role. They actually share a LOT in common with fantasy dwarves, facts that have been explicitly laid out IN THIS VERY THREAD.

You ARE wrong, flat out so.

Except they have the underground living, the technological prowess, and honestly aesthetics of dwarves, as interpreted through a TES lense. The fact that the fluff explicitly makes a joke about them being called 'dwarfs' should be tip enough.

Those are surface similarities only, and very few dwarves have anything even approaching the Dwemer on a technological level, and that joke is just that a joke, poking fun and how the Deep Elves came to be known as Dwarves because of a few giants who obviously had more contact with humans and the other Elven races.
And I've pointed out just as many things they don't have in common with Dwarves, and both are explicitly elves.for instance, Orsimer only got their current appearance and culture when their god Trinimac became Malacath, and have never really truly been like the orcs of traditional fantasy although they have served that role there was always fluff, always, that pointed out quite explicitly that they had not only a strict code of honor, but a clear sense of morality which orcs lack. the case is much the same with the Dwemer.

>Orsimer only got their current appearance and culture when their god Trinimac became Malacath, and have never really truly been like the orcs of traditional fantasy
You mean like the the original orcs to appear in fantasy, which were elves captured and twisted by an evil god? Sounds pretty similar to me.

And dwemer are dwarves. They are bearded underground craftsmen clearly designed to be the dwarves of their setting. If anything theyre closer to the norse myth of dwarves than most fantasy dwarves. More settings need to vary things so people dont go full autist when dwarves arent depicted exactly as alcohol drinking scottish vikings

>2017-19days
>doesn't know dwarves are a type of elf in original Norse myth