Can someone explain to me what is the fucking point of stocks?

can someone explain to me what is the fucking point of stocks?

you cant even use it for anything, sure some companies give out dividend but what about the ones that dont?

you might "own" a piece of the company but it seems like the only way to make any money is to sell it for more to the next retard who want to invest

You answered your own Q

i get the gist of it but i just dont understand why anyone would want to "own" a piece of the company if it really does nothing

if i buy some google stocks right now google isnt gonna pay me some of their profits regardless of how much more money they make this year compare to the last one

what is the fucking point?

Money laundering.

Actually, if the company is making money you get dividends.

can someone explain to me what is the fucking point of cryptocurrency?

you cant even use it for anything, sure some companies give out dividend but what about the ones that dont?

you might "own" a piece of the company but it seems like the only way to make any money is to sell it for more to the next retard who want to invest

It's called economic parasitism.
We move money around and create essentially nothing!
It's the ultimate paradox of the free market, wherein having discovered that moving money is more profitable than actually doing things, there's actually an overall disincentive to further the species in any appreciable way.

stocks will be on the blockchain when crypto replaces fiat

but dont get excited, its part of a longer plot to control who can buy or sell at the push of a button

>being this fucking new

cool chart spankyou very much

It's funny to me people say crypto is "based on nothing" yet so is stocks. Apple has something like $200 billion ACTUAL cash on hand, but then there is the 900 billion in stock which is nothing more than imaginary money. They didn't make an extra $900b to fulfill that marketcap so where is the money coming from? It's just a musical chairs trading game for Wallstreet, nothing more.

cryptos have actual tech behind it though, the more i learn about cryptos the more i realize how useless stocks really are

My advice is go take a course on Finance.

It's all memes and hype, almost nobody gives a shit about fundamentals and just wants to speculate
Also
>bought iota at $0.5
>ltc at $50
>cripple at $0.17
>new

>These are the people giving advice on Veeky Forums

smart money won't hodl on shitcoins. and not everyone wants to day trade with everything they have. if it's a legit useful coin it has a much better chance of rising longterm. i would think.

Dividends are literally profits distributed back to shareholders
Owning stock (sometimes) give you control over corporate actions, for example, I’ve voted to reject executive pay decisions and won, fucking the management for not promoting shareholder value.
When the company itself is more valuable you make money. This is not contingent on someone else buying from you. For example a company does a deal and makes $50m. This is reflected by a change in share price.
Or imagine if a company is acquired by another. The acquiring firm pays shareholders a premium for their stake, as a multiple of share price. Shareholders can reject that too and get more.

*Not every company gives voting rights to common stockholders but many do.

Lol
Cryptos are pure speculation and greater fool trading. You don’t buy equity in shit when you buy crypto. There are no underlying assets or value producing assets.
Even if you buy stock and the company goes bankrupt you at least bought a portion of real assets (property, cash and other holdings, equipment etc) assuming it wasn’t an on-paper company. Meaning it never really goes to zero, as they sell the assets and return you as much as possible. Plus you can sue if you get fucked.

The companies that are turning a profit and not paying dividends are the one's who are reinvesting their money into the company, thus raising its value.

what's stopping a company from reinvesting their profits indefinitely? there are no rules that say they have to pay dividends and that is my problem with stocks.

I know why stock exists and it is a good idea, but you have to admit it is a bit of a fugazzi. I mean how can a company like Ali Baba just go public and grant themselves billions of dollars in new stock money they didn't have on hand by setting an IPO price? And then the company gets pumped overnight, so it is suddenly worth double in hours just because Wallstreet says so?

It depends. A lit if times shareholders can vote in it. However, it doesn't matter. If it's reinvested, it still raises the value of your stock. As was mentioned as a shareholder, you own a piece of all of the companies assets.

People have to buy the stock, you know. They set a price and if no one buys it, price comes down. They get whatever the market offers.
Its worth more because the market values it as such. But it works both ways. For example snapchat’s IPO ate shit and never recovered.
But yes they often do it to raise capital by getting investors. Investors want equity so it pays off. Company wants funds, but is now obligated to protect investors because they’re public. It’s called fiduciary duty.
They can either offer divs or not offer divs. Or offer them only at select times (i.e. we had a good year, here’s a bonus).
All of the information about what is currently offered is public record and cannot legally be hidden from the public. So it’s up to you whether you buy or not.

It's fucked up init

And here i thought OP was being clever stating crypto has 100x the utility of stocks cuz coins are acfually used for shit but everyone calls crypto a scam and stocks not a scam

Debtors get assets first and if a company is going under it is very unlikely they have shit for net assets.

Cryptos have underlying tech in which you are investing in. It’s much different than say Forex trading.

When I buy crypto I’m not really buying a share of the technology though, insofar as that the tech is useless without miners etc and I don’t own any mining equipment. I only own code.
Not arguing against crypto (it’s 26% of my net assets) just saying a coin/token isn’t really ownership of any property.
That could be different for PoS coins? I don’t know much about them.

probably the jews desu

Good fucking point. Lel @ idiots calling crypto a bubble while holding stocks

it's just cryptos for boomers, nothing more

Checked

Dividends, long-term capital gains tax is always lower than the tax due on ordinary income (and can be 0% if you know what you're doing), and you not only get a cut of the profits but you also own part of the corp's underlying assets if things turn sour

dividends itself are useless, in theory once the dividend is paid the company is worth less the amount of paid dividends + stock opens lower the amount of dividends. in fact stocks that dont pay dividends perform better. retail investors also have to pay taxes of dividends, which is terrible. so often times dividends are useful only for pension funds etc. such funds who need reqular income or investors who get tax benefits from dividends

No its not, retard. Smart investors will look at the numbers and decide what stocks are a good value. Shitty investors are what caused the tech bubble 20 years ago. A ton of people not caring what the value of the stocks really were and just looked for the next hot stock that was set to skyrocket...basically like crypto.

buy 51% of a publicly traded company's shares outstanding, then you'll see the point.

"STOCKS ARE STUPID AND MOVE FOR NO REASON, CRYPTO IS THE REAL THING."

Holy fuck, the level of economic illiteracy on this board is staggering.

>what's stopping a company from reinvesting their profits indefinitely

nothing is stopping them for doing that, look at amazon you financial illiterate

shut up boomer

"FUCK YOU, DAAAAD!!!!"

Oh god, the salt-licking on this board on crypto doomsday is going to be incredible. It'll be like the 2016 election all over again.