/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous Thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199280/Secrets-of-the-Covenants?affiliate_id=498510
www.drivethrurpg.com/product/199275/Chronicles-of-Darkness-Hurt-Locker?affiliate_id=498510
>Mage 2e Errata
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxveHUKxwBU9UUZ4UjZJdEhIM2c/view?usp=sharing
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/well-met-at-dragonmeet-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question
Ever done a high fantasy game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rml5ehAl7SM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, because there are other games for high fantasy.

Chronicle of Fagness

CofD is terrible for high fantasy.
It can, however, do low fantasy well.

I'm thinking about doing a low fantasy gothic one shot.

>Ever done a high fantasy game?
Closest I've ever had was when the players ran into the Astral Realm of JRPGs.

That was fucking weird.

Do vampires need to shower? They don't sweat, or exert oils from their skin, so I can't imagine they do.

Requiem Vampires reset to the state they were in when they were embraced every night.
So PRAY that your Sire's not a fuckwit, and reminds you of that so you don't end up with red eyes, irritating length hair, and disgusting acne for the rest of your unlife.

>Requiem Vampires reset to the state they were in when they were embraced every night.
Aaww really? I like the idea of a vampire showering or cutting their hair.

Jesus, what a pain that must be.

Can't you spend a Willpower to 'set' changes to your appearance?

From what I recall you have to spend a point every night otherwise you revert back to the embrace.

Requiem 2e, p. 91:

>an injury would require Vitae to heal (represented by Health levels), the vampire will unconsciously heal it during daysleep. Sometimes, this means the vampire will not have the Vitae necessary to wake. As she falls to slumber, she may spend Willpower points to “preserve” wounds through her rest, to keep herself from healing them and spending excessive Vitae. This cost is one Willpower per wound, and makes the wound permanent.
>Sometimes, Kindred force other marks to remain. For example, vampires often keep scars, tattoos, and piercings for spiritual reasons or just to fit in with the flock. Many Kindred remove long hair, in favor of wigs or cleaner, more modern styles. The vampire spends Willpower to fight the healing process while she sleeps. After a day’s rest, any damage heals as normal, but her body remains changed.

Do vampires suffer lethal damage from extreme falls/getting hit by a truck.

No

Anything that can hurt their bones, presumably.

Only the once.

The Invictus actually have a ritual grooming before they kill their Childer. And of course in 2e it's mentioned that a lot of Mekhet like post-mortem embraces, so the corpses are likely embalmed.

Keep in mind that didn't exist in oWoD, so you know Smiling Jack's tattoos?
Fucking sharpie.

I thought it did, but I was too lazy to look it up, and Filamena is in the Discord, but she says no, not unless it wraps around. Hurt Locker does suggest letting "deals lethal damage" abilities deal lethal to vampires, though.

>Do vampires need to shower? They don't sweat, or exert oils from their skin, so I can't imagine they do.
They don't sweat, but they routinely place their mouths against the flesh of others and cut themselves open and have others suck on them. Plus every day they die and collect all the shit dead people do

>Can't you spend a Willpower to 'set' changes to your appearance?
Yes
>Do vampires suffer lethal damage from extreme falls/getting hit by a truck.
Not naturally but that damage can past bashing to lethal

Only if it wraps around from sheer amount of bashing. Which, given the damage values from the Collision rules, seems very likely.

Mage 2e. What the fuck is a rote skill and what does it do

I understand that it means if you are a member of a certain order you mark certain skills as rote. Rotes are premade spells that a mage can learn to cast. Taking rote on a dice roll means you reroll any non-successes.

That does not help me understand what a rote skill is or what it does. If I ask my DM for help he'll explain in a really condescending you're-a-literal-baby way because I've never really "gotten" mage and he thinks that helps.

Please. Someone help me understand this. Ideally not him.

You get a +1 when using a Rote that uses that skill.
That's actually the same as 1e. And you're not a literal baby, but you should ctrl+f for things.

>Effect: Using a Rote’s mudra adds the user’s rating in the Rote’s encoded Skill to her dice pool up to +5. If the Skill is one of her Order’s specialized Rote Skills, she adds an extra die. Mudras do not require the mage to actually use the Skill beyond remembering the gestures of the mudra; a mage cannot spend a turn hacking in order to then claim a Computers mudra for a spell.

I ctrl-fed "rote skill" in the whole book and missed that. D'oh.

>Ever done a high fantasy game?

You could say mage (awakening and ascension) is high fantasy.

anyone actually use Invictus Oaths?

youtube.com/watch?v=Rml5ehAl7SM
So I want to play Link Related as an Invictus Knight. What clan would he be? I was thinking gangrel.

I was thinking of how I missed you, I'm actually happy this happened

Has anyone written up the Speedwagon Foundation as a Hunter: the Vigil conspiracy with Hamon as an Endowment?

I would love to see the Speedwagon Foundation as a Conspiracy, but I think Ripple is too powerful for an endowment. It might be better as a pseudo-supernatural splat like the ones in Hurt Locker.

If Fog of Ages still a thing in VtR 2e?

Apparently it isn't. There should be an upcoming book about elder vampires that deals with it, but who knows when it's coming out.

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on people who play bloodlines and immediately think they can run/play a tabletop when they never have before?

I've never met anyone like that but I would probably feel bad for them

What do you mean with high fantasy?

The Ordo Dracul have a few tricks that allow them to keep the Blush of Life going for 24 hours on end. If they just re-activate it then, they will be just like normal humans. Including the growing hair, nails, fat skin, everything.

I think there's a Tremere ritual that lets you permanently change appearance in OWoD.

Is there anything the Tremere couldn't do? Thaumaturgy seems ridiculously powerful and versatile.

They couldn't KILL ALL THE SALUBRI

Aren't there like ten or so of them left? That's still pretty good results.

>fat skin
Vampires don't really do anything to acquire fat anyway, do they?

Keep in mind that the Tremere aren't the only clan with blood magic, they're just the most naturally talented with it. Tzimisce, Assamites and Followers of Set all practice their own sorceries.

Laugh it off

The Salubri will rise again

>Vampires don't really do anything to acquire fat anyway, do they?
I assume the Vitae generates it, as part of the "make the body seem to be human"-stuff.
The only thing they don't need to do is eat. They need blood instead.

Do you think World of Darkness is a fitting setting for grand strategy?

>Salubri
>Aren't there like ten or so of them left? That's still pretty good results.

It's not the number of Salubri, rather it's who's left and their power that's the problem for the Tremere.

IIRC, there's seven real Salubri with rather low Generations due to their practice of diablerizing their sires, and an undisclosed number of Sabbat antitribu, yes?

Discussing Tremere supremacy is the Mage supremacy arguments of the 1990's.

There's a reason why the Tremere managed to be major antagonists in Awakening 1e and 2e, even after thought they weren't included in Requiem.

It's been so long that I hardly recall the info from the clanbook or if V20 made any changes.

I believe WW always used it's catch-all answer. There are the number of Salubri any particular group needs or wants for their particular chronicle. Firm numbers are never provided about supernatural populations. Simply, there are
"far less" Salubri than other clans and bloodlines.

It saddens me, because I genuinely like the Tremere.

Nope. Good thing too, otherwise we'd have two splats with immortals with memory issues.

Did you have fun with JRPG cliches?

>There's a reason why the Tremere managed to be major antagonists in Awakening 1e and 2e, even after thought they weren't included in Requiem.

Yeah, that reason being that the Awakening Tremere are mages and not vampires. The Tremere of Awakening are decidedly *not* the Tremere of Masquerade.

True, but the fact that the Awakening Tremere's history is linked vampires is certainly no accident.

Fan service is obvious. A new version of the Tremere would likely have been too strong for the newly de-powered Requiem 1e, so they fit a version into Mage.

Is there any way to save the Tzimisce vampires?
They seem very.... I'm not sure how to put this... Like silly to me?

You're playing oWoD so... no?
I mean, is it really anymore silly than the rest of it?

By emulating Andrei from Bloodlines, at least when he was still in control of himself. You make them alien as fuck.

They are kind of silly, but it really depends on how you play them. Just consider that any vampire you meet could actually be a Tzimisce spy in disguise. Really amps up the paranoia. I do wonder how the hell the devs made the jump from Carpathian vampires to weird shapeshifting monsters.

>They seem very.... I'm not sure how to put this... Like silly to me?

They are silly, along with the other ethnically and racially stereotyped and magical minority clans. You need to appreciate the forced edginess and goofiness that was the 1990's (see also, Kindred the Embraced). Good times...

Now, where did I leave my trench coat and mirror shades...

Why are there so many assholes in larp?

because power fantasy fetish shits.

>why does the most socially unacceptable version of this hobby attract people with a poor understanding of social conventions

Honestly I don't see too much of the horrible ethnic/racial stereotypes in any of the books I've read.
I mean I occasionally come across some silly stuff like werewolf/vampire Nazis but that's usually limited to just a little paragraph or so of information.

I once participated in one session of a werewolf Live game, together with a friend. We had fuck all to do. Decidded to go on an adventure to some police station that was infested with evil spirits in the shadow orsomething. Arrive. Suddenly one of these Irish werewolves turns up behind us (wass instructed to baby-sit us) start shouting that we can't go there. Return. Still nothing to do. High point of the evening was some guy pretending to almost ram my head against his knee because I was a cub or some shit. It was horribly boring.

Virtually every clan is a walking stereotype.

If you're in any doubt about the ridiculous racial, ethnic, religious, etc. caricatures in the cWOD, just peruse the supplement for Gypsies.

Now I have hear that the Gypsy book is just awful.
But then I've also heard that gypsies themselves are awful.

Gypsy is a racial slur.

>Gypsy is a racial slur.

If that was the worst offensive of the book, it would hardly be worth mentioning.

The problem was that liberal conventional wisdom of the 1900's tried to glorify minorities as a means of acceptance, including such stereotypes as all Indians, err... Native Americans, err... First Nations individuals, were somehow super-spiritual and in tune with nature, instead of today where the focus is on how minorities are not any different than anyone else.

However, the Gypsies supplement was so bad and over the top that no historical explanation will suffice or excuse it.

I'm not sure how anyone looked at an ethnicity who died in the Holocaust and decided to make Blood Purity their power stat.

So you think there's gonna be a chance we'll get some of the bloodline books rebalanced for 2nd Edition?
Because some don't seem to work that well with Chronicles?

If it embraces trying to keep to the shadows, I don't see why it couldn't.

Several folks have said they don't want to do big books of Bloodlines/Lodges/Legacies/etc, and we're likely to either see a handful of them at a time in broader supplements (like how The Pack gave us five Lodges) or in some free blog posts.

Scum is scum, regardless of what you call them

Then what is the correct way to call them in English? Everyone I know calls them gypsies.

Romani.

Too bad. That was one of the things I actually liked about Requiem.

Aren't they the Romani, or Roma?

Both of these things are true.

3.5e style bloated supplements full of Prestige Classes and not a whole lot else? No thanks, I'll pass.

Yeah, I remember now, I've heard people call them Roma. Thanks.

>Gypsies
>Scum is scum, regardless of what you call them

Charming...

I'm actually a pretty conservative user, but dross like unequivocal racial and ethnic stereotyping is not only horribly offensive across all mainstream politics, but such offensive comments accomplish nothing but justify the far-left, space-killing drivel that suffuses virtually every WW book.

I mean, it almost doesn't matter, because 90% of the times you hear the word gypsy, it will be in the sentence, 'isn't the word gypsy racist?'

It was more about giving a lot of the stale five clans a bit more substance. Like the Khaibit for the Mekhet, which was probably the closest we'd ever got to Lasombra's in Requiem without using the translation guide.

Bloodlines are fun. Their exclusive super snowflake disciplines are pretty bad, but they're mostly for flavor anyway.

Depends on how they were balanced. Stuff like were fun enough and came with enough drawbacks that they didn't feel that special. These days they'd be Vampires just with some of the shadow tricks that a Death Mage from Awakening 2nd could pull off.

The words of an insulated child who has never been near a gypsy. They are thieves, leave trash and shit everywhere and fuck up everywhere they go.

I wonder how long until we post Claude Frollo

So just ignore that bit of fluff.

So, why do the Gangrel hate the Tremere again? The Assamites hate them because of the curse, and the Tzimisce hate them because they used Tzimisce vitae in their immortality spell, but I don't know what the Gangrel's beef is.

I think there is someone working on a CKII mod for Dark Ages

So what, like mainland Chinese?

>50664086
Tremere are super orderly with their pyramid?

Christ, this thread. And people say it's the liberals who shit up conversations about WoD.

It's kind of true that Roms are often involved in all sorts of crime and that stirs up the local populace of wherever they set camp. It's a serious problem that needs to be addressed.

In defense of this thread, until you've had travellers caping illegally on your property you don't get quite how aggravating they are

Because the Gangrel, along with Tzimesce and... Nossies I think, where used to make the gargoyle slave bloodline. And because Tremere are cunts.

Hey, I like the Tremere. There's a lot of appeal in playing mysterious wizards who have no one but each other to trust, and they lack the magical realm faggotry of the Giovanni.

Let's change the subject: I'm thinking of porting VtM clans to VtR 2e. Though I'm not a fan of the translation guide, I'd like to mostly use already existing material. I'm also thinking of minor boons for each clan. How does this look?
>Assamites: Celerity, Obfuscate, ? (Quietus is very meh). Take 1 point of lethal for each point of vitae consumed.
>Brujah: Celerity, Majesty, Vigor. Same as VtR 2e Grangrel's.
>Followers of Set: Majesty, Protean (probably a bad idea), Obfuscate. Bane: same as 2e Mekhet.
>Gangrel: unchanged.
>Giovanni: Auspex, Dominate, Vigor, plus access to the Necromancy blood sorcery (WIP). Deal 2 lethal for the first vitae consumed on a vessel, can only inflict the Scarred condition.
>Lasombra: Dominate, Obtenetration (the Khabit version), Vigor. Cast no reflections nor shadows, detected by a Wit+Composure roll.
>Malkavian: Auspex, Dominate or Nightmare, Obfuscate. Take one of Amnesia, Broken, Delusional, Fugue or Obsession as a permanent condition that can never be resolved.
>Nosferatu: Animalism, Obfuscate, Vigor. Same as 2e Nossies.
>Ravnos: Animalism, Nightmare, Resilence. Must roll Resolve+Composure or indulge in a vice, similarly to 1e Daeva.
>Toreador: Auspex, Celerity, Majesty. No idea for a good bane.
>Tremere: Auspex, Dominate, access to Thaumaturgy (mostly recycled Theban and Cruac at the moment). The first vitae count as 2 for the vinculum.
>Tzimisce: any two of Auspex, Animalism or Dominate, Protean. Must sleep in grave soil or get all dice pools capped at Humanity for the next night.
>Ventrue: Dominate, Presence, Resilence. Take the Refined Palate merit.

Hey man I like them too, but they're cunts, just like the Giovanni.

Both are pretty bad to be honest. The Tremere do have Henrich Himmler as a member, which shows their recruitment practices need some refurbishing.

>The Tremere do have Henrich Himmler as a member

Assamites: I'd keep Quietus, and I also think it's more flavorful to have them have escaped the Tremere curse, with them being addicted to vitae.
Followers of Set: I've come up with a revised version of Serpentis that I'll repost as soon as I remember it all. Also, they have a slightly different bane from the Mekhet (losing dice in bright light, but they don't take extra damage from fire or other non-sunlight banes).
Giovanni: Should be able to buy Necromancy at clan Discipline costs.
Lasombra: The Khaibit version of Obtenebration is objectively inferior, sadly.
Malkavian: If need be, I'll try to work on a different version of Dementation.
Ravnos: Chimerstry really does matter for them.
Toreador: Doesn't their bane already work?
Tremere: See Giovanni.
Tzimisce: You absolutely cannot leave out Vicissitude.

Yeah, but when the Tremere act like cunts, it feels organic. When the Giovanni act like cunts, it feels like checking off an edgelord quota.
>Ooh, we're incestuous and inbred and necrophiliac!
>Ooh, we want to kill everything in the world so we can dominate all the ghosts!
>Ooh, we're homophobic Catholics!
I mean, the description for their ghost-servant Merit in the clanbook involves a Giovanni threatening to destroy a ghost girl's stuffed bunny.

>The Tremere do have Henrich Himmler as a member
Er, wat?