How would you set a high fantasy setting in the ruins of our world?

How would you set a high fantasy setting in the ruins of our world?

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47771943/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Shadowrun, but people are actually nice to each other.

High leveled anima game.

The ruins of your reality lie beneath the surface, break the ormus system and go back in time to stop the time where everyone forgot.

Go read Shanara then come back if you still can't figure it out.

Not going to lie, that show angered me for soo many reasons.

>Religions based off statues that survived
>Holy relics are just pieces of technology that survived
>Somehow the Mongolians made it through the apocalypse without a scratch.

Lady Liberty and Mary fused into one goddess. The Messiah was American.

It's not ideal, but we literally have this game going. It used to be Mutants and Masterminds, but since there was a magical apocalypse, we moved on to 5e set thousands of years after the magical apocalypse. Everything is basically a high fantasy version of our world, kept pretty static by /some/ magical force.

No, user. Surely they must have have worshipped the one most represented around.

All hail the great god Mickey and it's mouse avatar!

>The area formerly known as Chicago begins worshiping Mike Ditka, Ernie Banks and Michael Jordan

he said read, not watch
>inb4 oh there are shannara books?

>Lady Liberty, Lincon and the rest of Mt Rushmore are considered the greatest of the American Gods owing to their sheer size.
>Spain now worships Don Quixote and have a heavily chivalry based society, but there are rumours of a God struck from history called 'Franco'.
>Britain has 1 common God(s) In War Memorials, and a lesser pantheon of local heroes
>North Korea remains effectively the same

Thats actually a pretty interesting hook.

I knew there were books. I just only saw the show.

>Egyptian tribes now worship Triangles

>Italy reverts back to worshiping the Roman Pantheon and eventually the Imperial Cult is reformed

>Detroit worships Robocop

They don't already?

There was a show?
I only played the game.

Now its the law.

Eventually we develop super nanotech. The lead developer of this tech is a super D&D nerd who decides to recreate his magical realm for shits n giggles.
Clearly this fat neckbeard gets killed'd and it all spirals out of control.
Magic essentially exists now.
Dungeons are the buried ruins of skyscrapers etc.

>Countries made AI to fight our wars for us
>War goes on soo long and is soo devastating that humanity goes extinct
>The machines with the AI we programmed still roam the world fighting what they deem "Enemies of Humanity"

I have this image in my my head of a wizened old man, scrolls and tomes littering his humble abode telling the children of the village about the 'Old Cultures'.
>Most of the knowledge within libraries has been lost to time
>The internet is either non-existent or never existed in the first place
>Knowledge of the old cultures is incredibly rare
>this leads to many misconceptions about our history, culture and beliefs
>Example, "Once there was an empire called, Brotonia, it ruled the entire world with a mighty fist and could even command the very waves of the sea!"
>"In the great eastern lands of snow and the great dark bear, once ruled a king made of steel who commanded red men into war"

That's actually pretty damn cool.

Thank you user. This thread has given me some good ideas. For the pre-apocalyptic world would it be better to alter history so digital technology isnt as powerful? perhaps 80s level.

USA -
The four kings (Rushmore)
The emerald queen (liberty

UK -
Saint Elizabeth the undying

FRANCE -

ITALY -

GERMANY -

SWEDEN -

SPAIN -

RUSSIA -
Something Putin

JAPAN -

No, probably better to make it somewhere around our current level of tech.

A bit like Adventure Time, I'd imagine. This can be either a good or bad thing, I guess.

>Italy- IVLIVS CAESAR

>RUSSIA
The Steel man, lord of the red men and master of the forge and field (hammer and sickle, stalin)

>The Seer looks down from his mighty tower at the bear skinned tribes that gather near the river.
>The bean gleams untarnished, shining forever with the holy light of the mid nineties Chicago Bulls.
>The L rumbles by on it's worn tracks belching smoke produced by crude fuel as Polish blacksmiths and Italian fur trappers peddle their wares

Oh how I desire this.

>The Seer

That's good. I might need to use this.

SWEDEN-
Animal belives where the moose is regarded as the highest forms of life. Due to all pic related being on all the roads and gifts shops, etc

>Mothers leave an offering of polish sausage outside their door every night to appease Rabla Goyavitch, the infernal demon that stalks in the darkness.
>An evil sect, identifiable by the unique way they wear their hair, lurks in underground tunnels seeking to summon him from his prison.
>You, a Paladin of St Capone, must seek out their lair and foil their plans!

So, just watched Shannara series did you?

>Theres an order dedicated to finding the internet
>"Fair thee well traveler, we seeketh the great library!"
>"Why the library of light and sound, the World Web"

>Blago
>Not Daley

no, whats that?

One aincent relic is a nokia phone. It still has 2 bars on it's battery left

Daley is his dark son, a sort of reverse Jesus thing. The Holy Church of Mafia stands opposed to their evil influence.

Thank Sufjan Stevens.

A coming of age ceremony is to dial a number. Someday, the chosen one may will get an answer.

>implying britain wouldn't worship big ben

>GERMANY -
The one German that got the most publicity has got easily recognizable facial hair.

USA -
>The four kings (Rushmore)
>The emerald queen (liberty
>Lord George the cursed one.
>Lord Obama of the endless summer

UK -
>Saint Elizabeth the undying
>Commander Churchill of the still waters.
>Mt Ben, the silent watcher.

FRANCE -
>The Gods throne, Watchtower of Gaia (Eiffel tower
>King Napoleon, patron saint of war.

ITALY -
>Ivlivs Ceaser of the ancients
>Saint Pope the white

GERMANY -
>Angel Merkel crusader of Order
>Lord Hitler the patron saint of death

SWEDEN -
>The nightwalker, Protector of the endless forest

SPAIN -

RUSSIA -
>The steel man, lord of the red men and master of the forge and field.

JAPAN -

MEXICO -

CANADA -

BRAZIL -

CHINA -

AUSTRALIA -

NEW ZEALAND -

>The procession marches forward
>Adorned with golden headdresses and goose-feather capes, the religious dancers lead the group
>In the center, a boy just barely growing his first beard solemnly marches
>The group ascends the ziggaraut towards the podium where the chief priest holds a worn brass box
>Drummers pound on animal-skin drums in a slow pulse
>The box opens
>Inside is the Messenger of Generations, the last gift of Nokia
>The drums grow louder as the priest activates the relic with his divine touch
>The screen glows like moonlight to the gathered mass, and is passed like a torch to the chosen boy
>He takes it in his shaking hand, and closes his eyes
>Under his breath, he whispers a prayer to the Goddess, and blindly enters nine digits
>He looks down and sees what was entered, though the symbols mean little to him
>Guided by the wizened priest, he presses the call button
>The boy holds the phone up to his ear
>The tone chirps in his ear as the phone dials out into the unknown
>His muscles tense in anxiety as the slow ringing repeats
>Then, a sound. Something wet, like a foal sucking at it's mothers teat
>The boy stands shocked, eyes wide, ready to hear the words of his divine Goddess Nokia straight from her alabaster lips.
>The smacking stops
>The boy speaks softly, in a reverent tone
>"My Goddess, is it truly you?"
>The voice on the other end speaks
>"new phone who dis?"

>i-its me goddess
>"Ayy to can i get a large pepperoni and a berger mah nigga
>oh an some garlic sauce with that shit

I'm actually working on a setting where the most valuable items in the world are not Gold or Silver, but Music on Vinyl. Where a Vinyl record is worth ten times its weight in gold and priests exist solely to maintain the few record players left in operation. People believe that they're holy scripture since the first record was discovered and the Local lords changed their titles to that of the ancient Kings sung about on it.

The main King is called "The Sultan of Swing"

There was a great man in the past, from the lands beyond the steppes, who made great artifacts to find the Web. He was called Sam Sung, but nowadays his magical objects are silent.

>Sam Sung
>Not Mo'Deem

A quest to reactivate the radio towers would be pretty dope. Actually, the idea that we might rebuild society to a similar state as it is today if we were to fuck it all up implies that there would be a period where things like this would need to happen. It would be an interesting hypothetical time period to adventure in.

>Rediscovering the internet
>Rebuilding old infrastructure
>Wheeling and dealing in the booming new tech markets
>Remapping GPS like Louis and Clark
>Fixing destroyed environments and surviving harsh climates
>Neo-Luddites who fear The Bomb/the internet/social media/whatever got everyone into this mess in the first place vs. pioneers of retro future tech expanding like oil barons

Generally, the big spot to doing that is getting the necessary materials: difficult/impossible to dig up the needed metals without other current infrastructure, etc.

There would also be a society to consider around it, depending on whats left of the previous world. Trying to recapture society could be seen as an illicit or immoral thing, making those that traffic in the sort of thing anything from scoundrels to pariahs.

The americas are overrun with magical creatures. Wilderness has overrun most rural areas as magical fauna has spread to all but major cities and suburbs.

There are three kinds of people who venture beyond the safe zones. Hunters who slay particarly dangerous creatures and deal with the odd orc warbands. Road crews who's tank pavers keep the highways in usable repair and truckers who move the valuable macguffin crystals and ore that allow those who live in the cities continue to live modern, prosperous lives without worry of food supplies.

Also skip the swords, guns and sorcery.

Utah now covers more of the Rockies, and it's Paladins are either of the Rockwell order traveling two and two. They possess the strength of normal men but cannot die unless they fall to sin and lose their protection. Feared for their violent reputation they solve most issues diplomatically. Since they can't die most folks bury them to stop them, or tie them to great stones and sink them in lakes. It's said that if you rescue a Mormon paladin they will reward you with gold tablets, a rumor given weight by the wealth of Mormon traders.

In Spain we actually got a shitload of variety, none is super relevant.

Except for this ugly fucks of course.

Stealing this user.
Hope you don't mind.

Alien ship uses Gozer Device on Earth, accidently erasing the alien civilization from reality and turning the world into Earthdawn with altered unworking pieces of the modern world everywhere. Some Shadowrun fans almost immediately start trying to turning the world into Shadowrun.

Not at all.

Add in the Deseret alphabet and record keeping and you have a pretty solid foundation for a fantasy civ imo

Same thing occurs in Maine, except also to Lobsters.

>The Internet is what gives a Hacker his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

JAPAN

The Cauldron Ship of the Dead, Yamatai-no-fune, which ever sails under the waves, and it smaller sisters. The prophecies tell that one day, when mankind will turn to violence and conquest and nothing will be sacred anymore, it will rise again and spawn forth the Insects of Metal to bind the world in fire, blood and ashes. They will attempt to kill the gods themselves, but the Sun goddess Amaterasu will die giving birth to the Destroyer of Worlds, the Sun-on-Earth, the name of which is not uttered in anything more than whispers, but it's tought to be Enola the Mirthful.
After that, the world will be born anew, with prosperity and peace.

The Ten Billions Shadows of the lost city of Akiha-no-bara, were dream spirits walked on earth from drawings on scrolls and altars of glass. Their warlock and "rotten witches" cults are legion now, and they are divided by the spirits they can supposedly call on, be it giants of iron, masters of divine martial arts or protector-maidservants of princely palaces. Aside from their pletohora of drawing-sigils they have strange fetishes of the World That Was, like dolls in unknown materials or bizzare costumes that can make the rituals of the descent of the Shadows on people easier, but the real magical items are reserverd for the initiates. They whisper that in their cerimonies the sigils do come to life and renact dramas almost unthinkable without the warlocks' knowledge of the Ancients' way and of the Masks allegories.

With ambivalence.

>Neo-Luddites who fear The Bomb/the internet/social media/whatever got everyone into this mess in the first place
do these neo luddites have magical suits of armor and weapons that spit fire? do they claim to be protecting the world from the evils of technology while hoarding said technology?

>memechlorians

Magic is simply activating certain protocols of satellites in orbit, with effects such as ionizing the atmosphere to create storms or lightening bolts, creating holograms, and firing great beams of energy to destroy or star trek teleport to other places, or causing the nanites that infest everything to activate, disassembling or reassembling machinery or objects, curing or causing diseases in the bodies of those they exist in

Did that series have any point besides "lol everyone gets hurt and is sad?"

I have no idea what you're talking about.
shut up I didn't have one with T-51b

CANADA
>The Iron Legion, defenders of the old country who found in the distant land of FirWorld and Ahnista. Their eyes are blank, but see all
>The Sky Sword: Legend tells of an ancient tower built out of hubris that attempted to touch the sky itself. The king at the time, C.N. Tower, drove a nation bankrupt to create it
>Truedoe, the deer god of truth. Spoken about in the past, a speaker of harsh truths and builder of worlds. Had a son, Justice.

It's a good thing we'd have all this already-refined metal lying just lying around in giant lumps on the surface, then.

Of course, don't forget the Coltists.

They remember Sam Colt, the son of God, who came to America with guns to preserve them from the evil tyranny of the British, bringing liberty and equality.

For lo, is it not said that "God made Man, but Sam Colt made them equal."

In Texas, you can still occasionally find his banner being flown. The ancient words "MOLON LABE" are translated by the wise scholars into modern American as "come get some."

Pfff. Saberhagen's Empire of the East and Books of Swords.

>Inexplicably, the nation's McDonalds remain intact.

>A sect of holy knights, calling themselves The Fryers, go on a holy crusade to conquer every McDonalds for their lord, Wen Dys.

>Despite their sizable ranks, their mission will go uncompleted for several centuries, partially due to the amount of McDonalds restaurants, but mostly because an opposing crusader group led by the mysterious Tac Obell has a similar mission.

And yet Veeky Forums still hates Numenera.

There is also the Aldair series of cheesy "fantasy" written many years ago. The English editions are a bit rough, being translated from French, IIRC.

>RUSSIA -
>Something Putin

Ras-Putin the Sorcerer king.
>GERMANY -
>>Angel Merkel crusader of Order

>Merkel

>Associated in any way with order except possibly negatively.

>implying the kube doesn't remain

>...burrowing back to the surface they abandoned since before the apocalypse...

>The horde rides once more!

>The Illuminati control the remnants of most of America's largest cities.
>They claim to have existed and led American development since the very beginning
>Some people suspect that they are simply a group of warlords who have claimed the identity in order to give themselves an air of power and authority
>The Illuminati is opposed to magic and magic users, heavily restricting them or outright outlawing them
>They insist that magic isn't magical. Whatever miracles and spells they acknowledge are dismissed as unexplained but scientific phenomena

I want to run this campaign set in the Bay Area. The Illuminati control San Francisco and the adventures take place in the East Bay. The Illuminati have recently intervened in a short civil war that saw Berkeley and Oakland win their independence from the Kingdom of the Bay. They are now firmly in the Illuminati's sphere of influence.

But the Illuminati have been engaged in a quagmire of a war against demonic invaders from the south, so the Kingdom of the Bay is trying to take advantage of San Francisco's weakness in order to reclaim some of their power and influence.

>The Illuminati
Swap for freemasons and youre on the right track

The terms are frequently used interchangeably by conspiracy theorists. I just thought that "Illuminati" sounded cooler. Then again, using a lot of neo-Egyptian motifs could be cool. Part of the setting is that all the heavily populated areas are renamed because the old names are considered cursed (largely because other than San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, and Fremont I don't know enough of the Bay to make it work). Maybe San Francisco could become "New Thebes"

One of my big problems is that I can't come up with a justification for there to be radioactive wastelands and yet San Francisco and Berkeley were spared.

The people launching nukes really hated the USA. So they did the worst thing possible and left San Francisco unharmed.

Trump tards pls go

Australia does what it always does after a disaster

also massive holy war Holden vs Ford

Honestly, one of the "better" ways to fuck over America would be to nuke the Great Plains. We lose our native bread basket and soon resort to looting and invading other areas of the world to get access to their bread basket farmland.

> Legends say that giant metal birds carried the Ancestors large distances, some from one side of the continent to the other, or even over the vast oceans. All made by one god, Bow Ing, Lord of the skies.
> The ruins of Hatten are a treasure trove of ancient relics from before the Fall, but the journey to the island is perilous to begin with. Crossing over the stone pillars of the Man Bridge is one route, but the roaming wildlife and undead remains of the island plague the route. Crossing via water over the Bay of Hud is equally dangerous, littered with flesh-eating rats and subterranean lizards with rows of razor sharp teeth.
> The enter of the Isle of Hatten glows with an unholy light, and scouting reports describe it as a center square filled with glowing walls and demonic noises ring out all around, talking about the wares of Ni Ke, the food of Micalds, or the glittering red globe high atop one of the buildings.
> Drinks of the ancestors are treated as ancient potions, such as the Ale of Ginger, said to heal wounds. Or the flask of Mon, said to provide a great boost in speed and agility before an equally sudden crash of motor functions. The bottles containing either Co-La or Psi are viewed as the most ancient and powerful, an equal balance of healing and mental acuity increase, but scholars engage in heated debate over which has the best effects.

This thread reminded me of a Fallout Japan setting where the american base in okinawa becomes a kingdom obsessed with "the American Empire". Also have an idea about xboxes and playstations being cursed similar to jewish dybbuk boxes

>Mon

Wat.

Cont.

> One of the few buildings left standing in the ruins of Hatten is the Building of the Empire, a tall, glass and stone structure with a blackened metal point on the top. Rumors abound of a powerful wizard at the top of it who keeps the ancient tower in pristine working order, but protected by wards powerful and ancient, many doors blocked by singlets of "Out Order" and vast shafts that seem to drop down into the very depths of the Earth itself.

> Out in the ruins of the Vast Wasteland, near the chain of mountains called the Rocks, is rumored to be an ancient war base, located at the Mountains of Chy. Deep within its bowels, behind ancient doors of iron and steel, underneath thousands of layers of "sement" is an ancient, perfectly circle ring, made of metals not found on this earth, said to transport you or things on the other side of this Gate into the heavens themselves in an instant. Others claim this to be a mere story the ancients crafted of their warriors conquering the heavens themselves, but no one knows for sure.

Monster energy drink. Maybe I should have gone with it being a temporary flask to turn the person drinking it into a raging barbarian, near impervious to damage?

>curse of the red ring
>no media was ever recovered for playstations, what was the cause for this? no gaems

>How would you set a high fantasy setting in the ruins of our world?

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47771943/

Yes. That people are too layered and complicated to paint in broad strokes.

And women are fucking crazy.

Also,

There's this very old computer game called Inherit The Earth, probably like that.

I would, but I'd get banned for
>muh /pol/
again

Praise Ten'gri!

Do the Paladins of Deseret carry the most holy of arms, the Nineteen and eleven?

The books are meh, but there are ideas to steal for games.

>FRANCE
>A land of people who only fought themselves
>Everyone looked to them for guidence
>GERMANY
>A land of everyone
>Once ruled by an artist who fought the world

>we'd have all this already-refined metal lying just lying around in giant lumps on the surface,
Recycling isn't as easy as you think.