BOARD GAMES GENERAL

/bgg/ - Board Games General

Previous thread:
Resources (reviewers, Veeky Forums groups, good online vendors, game accessories)
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

What have you played recently? How was it?

Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?

How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?

What bothers you most about your gaming group?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/crokinole-2016-hardwood-edition-2-4-player-dexteri
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>someone last thread posts "this is the end my friend" in response to thread falling off board
>amid the cia and fbi having a war over russian influence on the election
My anxiety didn't need this.

Strike up to two games off my wishlist. I will get the last five games that remain.

Asking the question again:
Would you advise someone who just bought Zombie Dice to buy the School Bus expansion? Is the decision-making factor really made that much more important? Or is the game better off staying basic?

Robinson Crusoe, first martians will probably be better. But reverse that vote if early reviews say otherwise.

Suggestions for a game of 10~14 normies / sociable people (See: Casual) mix of men and women (75% husbando/waifu)?

Games we've played:

Cards Against Humanity
Settlers of Catan
Munchkin
Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (mostly this one and CAH)
Ultimate Werewolf
Codenames

Recently tried Coup, but it was a little too involved for some people.

I'd strike out Raptor, Deep Madness and the CE expansion.
I already own a few in that pic, but a lot of them are also on my wishlist. I'd take

>Coup
>Too involved
Is this for a mental health support group or something? Holy shit.
I don't know man, play catch with a ball or something.

2 rooms and a Boom
Mafia de Cuba
Say Anything
Telestrations
Bang! Dice
Saboteur
Funempoloyed
Spyfall

These are normally good recs, but for people who can't play COUP? I don't even know. Maybe say anything I guess.

Funemployed is basically charades on a script, even the most moronic of normalfags can play that and enjoy themselves.

Also since I'm talking about charades
>Monikers

>What have you played recently? How was it?
Galaxy Trucker for the first time. Took longer than I expected, watching my ship get destroyed was good fun even though getting knocked out of an entire round as soon as it began seemed like poor design, not sure about replay value when the best part of the game is drawing a finite set of cards in random order to confirm whether you followed "ship-building best practices" you should be aware of after the first game, but we went easy on the time limit factor so mounting pressure as we get more competitive should alleviate that.

Dr. Eureka was also fun even though the prospect of transfering balls from one cylinder to another to match patterns didn't seem appealing. It didn't really excite me, but watching my friends stressing over it was amusing.

>Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?
The Horned Rat for CitOW because I've known I wanted it for nearly a year and now it's OOP. Or for a non-expansion, probably Alea Iacta Est because it's so different from everything else in my collection, but I have yet to try it.

>How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?
Seven, though more interested me but I pulled out because of high cost and/or lack of interest from my friends. Got everything I've pledged for.

>What bothers you most about your gaming group?
No one wants to get together to play 2-player games. I generally only get to while we're waiting for other people to show up.

>No one wants to get together to play 2-player games. I generally only get to while we're waiting for other people to show up.
I'm rather well-off for this, one of my friends owns and runs an LCS and I can jsut show up anytime with a game and we'll start playing.

I made friends with the owners of the board game café that recently opened in town so that may be my solution as well, but I've just had too much work this season to really go there and just hang out with them (without my other friends being present).

Castle Ravenloft at $50, buy or not?

>recent
did a few solo runs of Zimby Mojo to learn the rules and grasp on strategies and a solo run of Pax Porfiriana to learn the rules again after failing badly the first time. I can't wait to get a 4p+ session going with Zimby Mojo, though it's hard to get a good grasp of strategy with soloing Pax. will need to play it with my Saturday group who far more willing to learn rules than the Friday group

>top of wishlist
Cave Evil: Warcults, still waiting for my pre-order to be mailed out, looks like it'll be my wargame GOAT. skimmed through the _92-page rulebook on their web site yesterday and I'm getting super pumped to play it, especially considering how flexible the rules are with incrementing complexity

>KS
only one which had finished the campaign less than a month ago, I have currently pledged puresatan tier for KD:M but that's honestly just a placeholder until I can actually figure out my real budget

>gaming group woes
Friday group - one particularly annoying shitter who is too ADD to learn anything as "complex" as Kemet, also the group as a whole seems to be unreliable atm for the past few weeks due to possible drama, not sure when it'll start happening regularly again
Saturday group - it's only three of us :(

Gambler's second face myself. Gonna add the old expacs and scalp the pinups and promos.

yeah, I'm undecided on whether I want the pinups or not as I don't care too much for them except for Satan Twins, chances are I'll probably go Ancient Gold + new expacs + Satan Twins

I'm really liking Bezier's catalogue.
It's owned by Asmodee, isn't it.

How many expansions should you have for an 8 player game of Munchkin? Can you mix stand alone games of Munchkin with the main or other Stand alones? Would be be good to add to Bites and Bites 2?

I think I'm done with Ascension for now

>Can you mix
However many you want
>SHOULD you mix
None, play something else. Respect your friends time spent with you.

Subdivision is $10 at CSI right now and thebStsr Trek games are fairly cheap too

TFW A POORLY DESIGNED GAME WITH AN EXCITING THEME WILL HIT THE TABLE MORE THAN A DRY GAME WITH SUPER FUN MECHANICS EVEN THOUGH THE DRY GAME IS SUPERIOR

So how many players is Bites plus Bites 2 good for?

Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity both get like two real, hard laughs per hour-long fucking game and maybe twice as many chuckles and that's it. Fuck that. Plus I don't care for party games all that much to begin with.

Are there any board or card games that are genuinely funny, or that genuinely consistently produce real laughs?

Besides me laughing when I wreck everybody in Sheriff of Nottingham, every fucking time.

Price tag is OK. Not great, but OK. So is the game.
At least you can use the minis for an RPG.

>mfw

I love playing board games, but I think in the past year or so I've spent more time watching TDT Top Ten Lists than playing games.

>tfw the entire group is into the driest of euros
>whenever we decide to play something thematic for a change everything eventually gets rebranded into pumpkins and indigo

Wait, they... intentionally retheme other games into trade simulators? Why?!

Well I tend to laugh when I/we get destroyed by coop games, especially when it's particularly unforgiving. That's just me, though.

Anything that has people make stuff up (make combinations, draw something, charades, etc.) should produce funny situations, if only because of how bad some people can be at those games. Cranium and Dixit come to mind.

There's this little game some of my friends suggest from time to time for large groups, I have no idea what name its commercial form has but you only really need pencils and slips of paper to play it. Essentially it's an exquisite corpse, but with alternating short phrases and their depictions rather than only words or a collective drawing. Every player starts their own thread with a theme of their choice. Every time you switch you get a new drawing or description, and you have to describe it/draw it without seeing what came before. At the end, everyone tries to guess which drawing corresponds to their original prompt. You get points for guessing correctly, and bonus points to the players who made the funniest image and the funniest description (once everything has been revealed).

Looking at the terrible drawings and just how far from the original idea you can get is usually a blast.

Official version is Telestrations.

It just happens. Eventually someone nicknames some resource or mini type after a crop and the whole theme comes tumbling down afterwards.

You should just hop up, walk over, and slap that person in the face.

Or, and this is just at thought, ask them not to do that, pointing out that the game is meant to be thematic.

>Spend more time thinking about / studying THING than doing THING.
Congratulations, you're a nerd.

omg i love wil weaton too xD

>The Dice Tower
>Wheaton
wat

Thanks. Looking around on BGG, Scribblish is the one my friends own(ed). At a glance I think I'd recommend it over Telestrations for the more elaborate prompts (and choice of 3 on each card) and the fact that you're trying to guess how your idea evolved rather than just look at everything right away. Using dry erase is a pretty good idea, though.

think about it some more, you'll get it eventually

9/10 wishlist
Striking off Roll for the Galaxy

try it without it first

Is Super Dungeon Explore fun/good?

I really like the miniatures.

Ok, so here's a run down of Galaxy Trucker 2 major expansions.
Add to any game!
1: Fifth player, armored pieces, double purpose pieces, 6 new adventure cards (3 of those are questionably an advanced game thing).
2: Solar panels, armored cargo

Advanced games
1: Blue aliens, boosters, cryo stasis, furnace
2: Mission 4, router, hybrid life support, thrusters, intruders and all their associated pieces and cards.

Use at your own risk!
1: Harder events, even HARDER events, alternate boards
2: Additional cards for the harder and even harder shit, support teams

Hope this helps. The Big Expansion is much more vanilla. It's more shit and the fifth player is great because this game doesn't really suffer from more played slowing anything down. You can add most of it to any game, but the extra difficulty cards come off as just too much. Only add those if you really feel like you're not blowing up enough. Another Big Expansion is much more of a twist but almost all of it adds advanced rules and will overwhelm newer players or people who just play this game for the simplicity. That fourth mission though is great if you are with a group that wants a more epic finale to the game and all are ok with the game lasting a little longer.

Missions is the big update to the game that it was asking for to spice it up. These make each of your runs more interesting with a twist that actually gives you a goal to aim for. Maybe you're in a race and engines are more important, maybe you're able to score big by attaching special pieces to your ship but those special pieces are dangerous and will absolutely blow the fuck up if lightly tapped. Some of missions though mentions invaders, it's easy to filter those out. Everything in this game is super modular and easy to add or remove as you see fit.

Just get Roll for the Galaxy, Terraforming Mars, FCM (while it's on sale), Twilight Struggle, and Scythe.

I'd go for Dominant Species, TS, Bios: Genesis, Space Empires 4x and Terraforming Mars/Inis/Scythe/FCM/Trickerion/Innovation

Imagine (was a fun little party gaem); Magic : Arena of the Planeswalkers (I like it, but I still think Heroscape's better); Legends of Andor (ehhhhh... It's ok, but the whole adventuring feel seems very abstracted)
Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?
Right now... Nothing actually. I really wanted to buy Mansions of Madness 2 for christmas, but now that it's been released in french, I'm not feeling it anymore. Waiting for the french reprint of Scythe I guess.
How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?
15. Still waiting on lots of them. Waiting for the Camp Grizzly expansions; for the Wave 2 of Shadows of Brimstone, Waiting for TMNT (should arrive in the next few days); Ghostbusters II, The Walking Dead No Sanctuary, Shadows of Brimstone : Forbidden Fortress and Evil Dead II
What bothers you most about your gaming group?
My main group has been completely unavailable for a whole fucking year because of small children and weddings and shit. Thankfully, I have formed a second group over the last two years. But I'm still waiting for the main group (we got Risk Legacy to finish damnit)

>every expac for eminent domain is 66% off
>watch a rules and play vid for eminent domain
>eww
Fuck.

For Scythe my group nicknamed power into bug, popularity into love, and oil and workers into earl and dudes. The master builder in Castles Ludwig is Master Blaster, the colonists in PR are slaves (I think this one is quite common though), and the death stars in TI3 are battle boobs.
Just accept the nicknames, user. Let the silliness wash over you.

>playing tzolkin
>the skulls are always on the opposite side of the table
>kind of look like rabbits
>cant get it out of my mind

i started calling the skulls rabbits and they couldnt stop me.

Ships in Cosmic Encounter are Space Nipples, robber in Catan is The Asshole, diseases in Pandemic are AIDS, Yellow Fever, Reggaeton and Jews, colonists form Puerto Rico are Negroes

i backed the tiny epic quest kickstarter and i am allowed to add on their other games without shipping.

what is the difference between
Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms deluxe ?
and
tiny epic kingdoms deluxe (2nd)

first off is the ultra version a copy of the second edition?

second is the expansion worth it to get the tiny version instead of the ultra version.

Eldritch stats are Book, Brain, Pump, Eye and Handshake

Always

>Played recently
Finally sat down with Imhotep. It was fun, but one of the players decided to screw me and himself without really thinking about it because he was "done thinking." Imhotep itself is mechanically sound and gives interesting choices, but not unique at what it does at all
Also played my first game of Dixit. I can see how it might be fun but don't play with vacuous people. Unless everyone comes up with imaginative prompts you're basically playing "Guess the shapes"
>top of wishlist
Inis, but I just can't afford to get another $45 game. Next in line might be Insider
>KS
None, zero, never
Nope

Heroism tokens in Assault on Doomrock are YOLO (because you have a limited window to use them so you just go for it instead of stockpiling).

Got to play Mansions of Madness 2nd edition again last night, the Shattered Bonds campaign. Last time we played we did an old campaign adapted to 2nd edition, but Shattered Bonds was made for 2nd edition. The big difference between first and second edition campaigns that makes this version so much better is the new campaigns all have a really interesting non combat twist to the investigation, often using the app to their advantage for NPCs. For example, in our campaign we were trying to protect a family from an invisible monster who was attracted to noise. We had several ways to make noise but also could go up to the family members and tell them to run to a different room. Playing the Dunwich Horror campaign adapted from first edition, the entire thing just played out as a giant slugfest beating up swarms of monsters. I glanced into the zombie campaign also from first edition and it was pretty much the same thing. I almost regret buying the packs because the first edition campaigns just are so dull in comparison.

kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/crokinole-2016-hardwood-edition-2-4-player-dexteri

AWH YEA MUH FUKKEN CROKINOLE THAT I CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD

Nice catch user!

I'm pretty sure you can get a crokinole board for less than a hundred bucks and you won't have to wait six months for it.

>Mayday crokinole
>Mayday anything

Nope, no no no, NO. Do not piss your money away on 3rd-rate shit.

>Shipping is as cheap as $8 to China or as cheap as $15 to the USA. All other countries, your shipping is going to be very expensive indeed due to the size/weight of the game

well shit :

I'm getting it in February.
Also if you can pull up a similar quality board for under $114 shipped, I'll buy it right now.
They seem legit and even use a mahogany veneer.

Same thing as above- if you can find a better/same quality board/discs for $114 shipped or less, I'll buy it now.

>veneer
You're better than that, user.

>How many board games have you backed on KS and how many of those are you still waiting for?

0, but I've ordereded 3 games from GMT's p500 program since it became EU-friendly.

Pericles - Once I heard about this game I was hooked immediately. Semi-cooperative games are my jam, and a 2v2ish game set during the Pelopponesian Wars is just right up my alley.

Falling Sky: Ariovistus - I haven't played much Falling Sky yet, but what a game; I just know I'll want to get this game at some point anyway. I'm not too big on the gallic wars yet (still waiting for Landmark's edition of Caesar's Gallic Wars to get made), but a prequel seems like a cool idea. Apparently they'll include a campaign scenario covering Caesar's entire time in Gaul, which sounds just dumb enough that I'll have to try it sometime.

The Seven Year's War: Frederick's Gamble (pic related) - I don't have any games covering this period, and a semi-cooperative 2v2 game seems cool, and I really dig point-to-point wargames in general, but I don't have any that are so decidedly about war; I also don't have any other game in this "series", so it feels like it'll fill a hole in my wargame collection. It's at 499 orders right now, so It'll probably get made.

>It's at 499 orders right now, so It'll probably get made.
It isn't actually 500, it uses some weird algorithm that considers order velocity. I've seen them print games with as few as 300 orders.

Huh, I didn't know that. Whatever works, I guess

This looks legit adding to wishlist.

>Pericles - Once I heard about this game I was hooked immediately. Semi-cooperative games are my jam, and a 2v2ish game set during the Pelopponesian Wars is just right up my alley.

Can you tell me more about the game? I'm collecting a list of team vs team games.

Wat

Instead of sneering at what I'm buying like a condescending nigger, why don't you link me to what you would get in its stead, fucko?

We both know that nitwit-user doesn't even own a Crokinole set. He keeps his imaginary Crokinole game right next to his imaginary 'GO' board.

Hilinski

>calling it pump instead of flex
And you were this close to being correct.

Game of Thrones: Hand of The King - surprisingly fun, given I've watched one whole episode
Automobiles - nice hybrid game, but I didn't quite understand how Wear worked, which kind of screwed me over (but I was too polite to say anything).
Junta - never actually started a coup, but the one half of the game I DID play was damn good... I lucked out with a shitload of Influences at the start of the game, and managed to get two cabinet positions because El Presidente wanted to keep on my good side... right up until he sent "burglars" to kill me in my home on account of all the money I was hoarding.
>Which game is at the top of your wishlist and why?
I don't have a wishlist right now
Quite a few. I'm only waiting for one right now - the latest reprint of Braggart.

>hilinski
>less than $114
Someone don't read gud

What a great game.

Convince me not to drop $60 on Feudum when I won't be able to play it for almost a year and will probably have lost interest by then.

Invest those $60 in FoD and save it in shrinkwrap for a year. Scalp for $120. Buy Feudum or whatever you want with the cash.

FoD?

Fury of Dracula, which will go oop in Jan

What do you guys use a tokens for levels in Munchkins? I was thinking about getting some mini poker chips that are a bit bigger than pennies but does anyone have any other suggestions? It's about 6$ for 50 of these chips, cheaper suggestions would be appreciated

>Munchkin

What's wrong with it?

print a 10-space track and use a pawn for each player

Literally pennies.
Second place always wins.

Everything. It's a very small step above Exploding Kittens.

Whats wrong with Exploding Kittens?

Everything. It's a small step above Candyland.

What about Mage Knight? I just ordered that off of Amazon and was thinking about getting Monster Rejects. Do you have any more of a detailed explanation about what is wrong with Exploding Kittens and Munchkin? Any recommendations for similar easy to pick up and play card games?

Mage Knight is a small step above Go Fish.

How?

How is just a shittier Why

I already knew that. You don't get a why you get a how.

Now he's taking the piss out of you, mage Knight is solid, but might be too complicated for you if you really still think munchkin and exploding kittens are good games.

And they're not good games because there's basically nothing to them beyond LOL THERES A JOKE ON MY CARD. There's basically no interesting decision to ever be made while "playing them", you just draw and resolve. They're about as much of a game as rolling a die and seeing who gets a bigger number.

I didn't really think they were advanced games as much as games to have a laugh with some friends while drinking.

What's with the low ratings on the 2nd Mage Knight expansion? Is it just because of the production quality problems or because it wasn't as good?

Quality problems, the cards are slightly different size and shade
Heard nothing but good about the actual gameplay

Are they going to do another run of it to fix the quality problems?

If all you really want to do is laugh and socialize there's nothing wrong with that, but at some point just plain talking with your friends is more fun than playing something stupid.

That's just like your opinion man.

No it's the required opinion to take part in these threads, if you don't like it join talismayne's kik group.

>using kik
Nah.