Does your setting have any republics? If not, you have five seconds to explain why

Does your setting have any republics? If not, you have five seconds to explain why.

>Caesar
>the guy who gave the final killing blow to the republic
>in support of the republic as a concept
Hypocritical much?

>naming your not-king after a kind of salad

Liberty, equality, fraternity. Robespierre my nigga, French Revolution best day of my life.

Pic related.

>killing blow to the republic
>not attempting to save it from decay by using the already established precedent of dictatorship

Even with Augustus this gets iffy
>Called himself "first among equels"
>SPQR never stopped being the motto of the empire
>The senate remained active, and even quite powerful at times

This also reminds me of this Franc coin from 1807, where it says "Emperor Napoleon" on the heads side, and "French Republic" on the tails side

Stone age, no formal governments only at most large tribes.

There may have been a republic or two around before humans set the moon on fire and dropped it in the middle of the continent.

Things have been decidedly tribal since then. Feudal at most.

Bronze Age, society is not yet developed enough to develop or support the concept.

Democracy soon, though. Maybe in another 300 years, if they players don't fuck it up for everybody.

I love republics.

**got to have something to burn**

There's one nation that's a republic. There used to be a large empire that ruled over most of the human-controlled land on the continent, and when it eventually fragmented the various "barbarian" tribes it had conquered established kingdoms ruled by warrior-kings. But significant part of the area that was actually populated by the people who built the empire took the opportunity to have a revolution and broke off to form their own nation, which became a republic.

Yeah, I got a couple of Dutch style republics.

> My brother under the same law.

There's one in the modern setting, though it is technically controlled by a king and some merchant republics in the renaissance setting.

It's dominated by a warrior race that installed a feudal system in its holdings while the lesser races live in despotic monarchies, clan structures or hordes.
Democracies do not exist because there is no patrician class which carries influence or military power because the main society is based on a feudal contract by race, cementing the power and fighting obligation of the warrior race which ensures the safety of their subjects who in turn abstain from power beyond their own communities.

Yes, actually.

The Republic of Astra is a city-state that sits at the crossroads of the major inland trade routes between the larger nations, and sits along the Eastern border of the largest freshwater great-lake in the region.

They have good trade-relations with the primarily Human Kingdoms that also border the South and Northwestern portions of the lake, and are distrustful of the militaristic Kingdom to the Northeast, only having become independent only about 150 years ago thanks to some adventurers.

Its nominal Capitol is a big, multi-cultural city that is constantly buzzing with activity. The city itself was the starting point around which I built the small continent on which my setting takes place.

Feudalism.

Shit's basically medieval Europe with elves and orcs and magic shit stirred in, because that's what I studied in school.

Et tu, crouton? *urk*

Why would anyone do this?

Because I'm still working on the cosmology and gods of the setting before i go into details bout people living in it,

Real politics are boring.

>If not, you have five seconds to explain why.
Because they haven't reached the Rome point of their history, they're still in the Macedonian Empire stage, meaning the Republics that do exist are the minor regional republics that act more like feifs and corporate city-states

Didn't care to include any. Also republics a shit.

Monarchism

The main region my players are from calls itself an Empire but is effectively a Republic, as the Emperor/Empress isn't elected but has no real say except to be the tiebreaker when one is needed. Their primary job is to give speeches, attend events and be a relatively easy-to-replace figurehead that is more likely to be assassinated by violent reactionaries than the people who got voted into positions of real power by the population.

In a setting I'm creating at the moment, there will be some republics but only one has been fleshed out slightly.

Merchant Republic, situated between two Kingdoms, ruled by a Oligarchy of merchants.

Two Kingdoms are rivals, so many of their merchant vessels get raided by privateers of the other Kingdoms. Therefore, it's easier for both sides to trade through the Merchant City as neither wants to raid ships.

The city is built off relatively swampy and marshy ground, with a large river running into the ocean running through it. Lots of canals. Two major roads, one each going to a neighbouring Kingdom, comes into the city.

The land, however, was originally inhabited by a large society of Lizardfolk. The Human settlers pushed them out into the fringes of the swampland, and into the subterranean tunnels that run beneath the land.

The Republic has a rigid social structure. Everday peasants at the bottom. Next up are craftsmen and artisans, as well as clergy. Joint in rank are wizards and military officials. At the top are the merchants. Every five years a new ruler for the city (needs an official title) is elected. Only those of the top three social groups (wizards, military, and merchants) can vote. All heads of Merchant families attend a senate ran by the head of the city. Only Merchants can be elected to Head of the City.

>very five years a new ruler for the city (needs an official title) is elected.
Doge

there's a nation made of four republics and one mixed constitution country with a king but styled after the principles of the republic.

>(needs an official title)
Maharajadhiraja. They still look back to their glory days as the seat of a sprawling empire.

That's a cool idea. Maybe even certain Merchant families still hold ridiculously pompous titles from the glory days.

>Ridiculous leftover titles
Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Meet Miklós Horthy, the regent of a kingdom without a king and the admiral of a landlocked nation without a fleet.