How do you call a race of magical eerie birds (haven't decided yet if crows or owls fit better) with the ability to...

How do you call a race of magical eerie birds (haven't decided yet if crows or owls fit better) with the ability to assume human form, as well as a handful of innate abilities relating to prophecy, misfortune and communication with the dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

bogleech.com/halloween/hallbest-strixoid.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Cheeky cunts.

Your Magical Realm.

Morrigans, Macha, or Badb

Birdwere.

Crows
Ravens
Rook
Tengu
Nevermore

Should go with ravens, OP.

Huginn and Muninn
Poe's Raven
Kutkh the Raven trickster god

Plus, ravens are smart af

I do like the name of Nevermores. Maybe they are psychopomps for a bird themed death god.

if you go with Owls, then Strix, or maybe Strixoid;

bogleech.com/halloween/hallbest-strixoid.html

Vittra

OP, that's a Valravn/Vilderavn if I've ever heard one. Not just the bird part, they're like pure misfortune arisen from those fallen in strife and can turn from bird to human.

You could call your description a Valravn with no problem, it's much less of a bend than all the shit that gets passed for, say, wendigos.

Go with Crows or Ravens. Owls are dumb, while Crows are probably pre-sapient. Plus you have that sweet Norse connection with Odin's familars.

Well a flock of crows is called a murder so i suggest Murdred

Well, yeah, but ancient people's perceptions of animals didn't always have a lot to do with their actual traits. I mean, dolphins are dicks in real life but everyone revered them as the doves of the ocean, and owls are morons but were always associated with wisdom...

Wouldn't that imply that ALL corvids are actually magical shapeshifters, though? I mean, I can get behind that idea but I'm not so sure that's what OP had in mind.

Yeah, but Corvids are actually smart and have mythological connections to intelligence.

But owls have the connection with native americans/canadians and their omen for death. Also twin peaks.

Ronja, the Robber's Daughter had Drudes. Those were Harpy-like creatures - mostly ravens, but with human faces on their head. They were scary and sadistic. I dunno how they were called in the English translation, but the name Drude has some connection with folklore without being overused like Harpy.

Birdmen.

You're perfectly describing Valkyries.

Weren't the Greeks (or Minoans or Etruscans or one of those other types) afraid of owls? They considered them bad luck or something?

No, they made little robot ones to aid their greatest heroes

I think that-
-are just stating their preference of ravens over owls.

Wouldn't a perfect description of valkyries have to somehow include, you know, their actual role of bringing the glorious dead to Valhalla?

50682631 here, and yes. I just like ravens (and corvids in general, but especially ravens)

That's only part of their role. How many men actually qualify as heroes?

The bulk of the time they just hover over the battlefield dressed as birds, using magic dickery to cause men to slip in entrails just as spears are thrust at them or accidentally decapitate themselves.

Vilderavn fits.

Harvest however much of this concept as you want, basically.

Almost, but not quite, Psychopomps.

Kicking ass and taking names is only part of the Navy Seals role.

The bulk of the time they just work out and practice their marksmanship and whatnot.

Giving gifts is only part of Santa's role.

The bulk of his time he's swinging the whip on the North Pole assembly line.

Point being, the defining characteristic, in most people's heads, of a valkyrie is to bring the glorious dead to dine by Odin's side.

i doubt Greeks considered owls as bad luck since Athen (godess of wisdom) was often depicted with an owl.

as for you OP, I would say that it's not the name that an awesome race makes.
The name is just a "stand in" word that connects all the aspects of the race.
If you make a race of bloodthirsty barbarians who forge swords made from iron coursing through their countless victims blood, people will gets chills whether they are called "Orks", "Blood-forged" or "Qwertzuiop".

What's up with the striges then?

while the name does mean owl, striges weren't actually considered owls, as owls were linked to wisdom and foresight and all that bs while striges were horrible blood sucking murder machines.

A name doesn't a cool race make, but it does make them a hell of a lot easier to refer to.

Tengu