Poison in real life can kill the hardiest men

>Poison in real life can kill the hardiest men
>Poison in stories can kill the hardiest men
>Poison in tabletop games is a threat only to the very weak and even then not by much
Why?

In Warhammer fantasy it was best used for mudering high toughness monsters. I dont know what your talking about,

crazily enough it isn't fun to have your character unavoidably die because he had a sip of a drink
also in some games/editions it's one of the few edges martials have over casters

Play a high lethality system.

Poison is pretty nasty in the A Game of Thrones rpg. I once offered the players wine IRL during an in-character meeting with some schemeing Dornish nobles.
The tee-totaller was very smug afterwards, while some of the characters had a *very* nasty time.

Because most GMs are pussies and opt for easily restored HP damage instead of attribute drain.

Most RPGs are combat-oriented.

It's considered not sporting to use poison, or to die from it.

It's not much of an edge, seeing as how casters can use it too and have means to get it into all sorts of places.

Babbys cried when it was save or die, so it got nerfed.

This is why I still play modified adnd2.

Don't bother making an unkillable character, folks. You'll still die to slay living, disintegrate, flesh to stone, poison touch and flesh to dust if you fail your save.

Sure, you might save on a 2 or higher, but you are and will always be scared.

Even poisoned weapons are save or die.

>pocket knife in real life can kill the hardiest men
>pocket knife in stories can kill the hardiest men
>pocket knife in tabletop games is a threat only to the very weak and even then not by much

And yet people survive being stabbed 32 times with a butcher knife in real life.

You're a fucking moron.

No shit.
>what is first aid
>what are EMTs
>what are hospitals
People survive being dosed with cyanide in real life, too.

Wait, you poisoned your players?

>IRL poisoning

excuse me wot

Guys, he said the -characters- had a bad time, not the players. He served the players wine to go with their characters being served wine, he didn't say he poisoned his players. Read more carefully.

Of course user.
This, uh. This is exactly what I meant. How silly of me to not a-er-uh be clear.

Depends on the cyanide. Nobody's going to survive a Hydrogen Cyanide dosage, as it usually kills in a matter of at most a couple minutes, but sometimes as fast as 30 seconds. It's deadly stuff.
Other cyanides kill in a few minutes depending on how much more than a lethal dose is given.

...if they get a small dose of HCN and immediate medical attention, including vitamin B12 dosage, then it's entirely possible that they'll survive HCN poisoning.

Hell, it's like trying to poison someone who paints using Prussian Blue and habitually licks their brushes* with thallium - they'll actually end up curing themselves just by painting.

*Don't do this. Yes, most paints used nowadays are non-toxic, but it's still not really all that good for you.

because in tabletop, the players demand their men be harder

You're right. I meant a dose with the intention of killing. HCN is gaseous at room temperature and was used for fumigation prior to its regulation in the mid-1920s. There were numerous deaths due to improper usage of it back then. HCN acts very quickly because they're able to get to the respiratory enzymes faster (through the lungs, rather than ingestion).

My nigga.

>There are some cases of people surviving being repeatedly stabbed
>Therefore being stabbed over and over isn't going to kill you.

Because D&D designers decided that they didn't want players to abuse poison use, and it's been grandfathered into other systems.

Not to mention that, from gameplay perspective, it's kind of bad for PCs to die because they failed a single check and don't happen to have the treatment for that specific poison handy.

It's worth noting that dnd character are the absolute top one percent, the strongest and hardiest solely by the sheer unlikelihood of "adventurer" being a sensible long-term career choice in a world full of fantasy creatures. If you're going to survive at all you need to be able to get stabbed a lot of times and shrug it off.

If you don't like it then don't play DnD.

Such as?

>>Poison in real life can kill the hardiest men

It "can" being the key word.

IRL people went great lengths to build up resistances and immunities to poisons given how OP poison actually is in real life: scentless, tasteless, easy to collect- it's a stupid great way to kill anyone or anything.

India especially. India went fucking CRAZY when it came to the culture of poison resistance:

-Certain snake handling cultures in Burma would tattoo themselves with ink made from fresh cobra/pit viper venom so by the time the tattoos were done they'd be immune to the venom of the snakes they'd have to handle.

-The Emperor of Bindusara was so paranoid about being poisoned that he would garnish his food with a variety of poisons just to cover all his bases. Unfortunately; he had gotten so used to this that when he shared a meal with his wife she was immediately killed as he forgot about the poison.

-Visha Kanya were beautiful women specifically exposed to a variety of poisons since childhood so that they could be later used as discreet prostitute assassins. They would lather up their vaginas with poison, have sex, and their victim would get a dick full of poison.
Nothin' worse than a poisoned dick!

> poisoned vag
Suh Suh see guise? That's way I stay a virgin... women got poison pussies! I'll just be over here fapping to more Japanese cartoons.

That is super interesting user, care to elaborate further.

Only in bad games like D&D

Not even "D&D", user, only 3.pf and 5e.
In AD&D and earlier, poison was save versus dying on the spot. In 4e, poison was crippling, and if you weren't a hardy character already, would be enough to be a sidequest to get a pc cured in and of itself.
Hey, you failed a few saves? Take penalties to every, and you are at 0 healing surges, FOREVER.

Ok, so there's a misconception here.

Are there people in real life who've survived being stabbed dozens of times? Yes.

Do they shrug it off?

Absolutely not. They're going to be fucked up for years, if not for life, even if they survive.

This also depends if you are (wrongly) treating hit points as meat points, anyway, so the entire analogy falls flat right out of the door.

>They're going to be fucked up for years, if not for life
Not necessarily. A clean stab wound, once disinfected and sutured, heals pretty quickly and pretty well.

If they go and get a bunch of sinews severed and muscles ruined, though, sure. That would hurt longer.

>tfw just healed from minor sinew damage after over a year.

>D&D 1st edition
Save or die
>Final Fantasy X
Every turn the poisoned character takes an action it loses 1/4 of Max HP. Venom status is insta kill

You're just playing the wrong games, OP

>dick full of poison

The ability to purge poison out of your body or survive exposure is actually not that hard to develop. In real life, only extremely powerful poisons like cyanide or neurotoxins(which are better expressed as being things like Cloudkill rather than poisons desu) will guaranteed kill someone.

All other poisons, from carbon monoxide to brown recluse poison to rattlesnake venom to black widow venom will either succeed or fail to kill someone based on their hardiness.

Some things like radioactives and other toxic materials will kill you just like a poison but its impossible to build a resistance or immunity to them.

Why is poison just a blanket term here? There are plenty of various poisons and venoms in the real world with interesting effects. Why just say "The poisonois frog can be used to tip your arrows with poison, as can these two herbs and this snake"? I want elvish communities to immunize themselves to jungle snake venom but still be susceptible to the weird shit the alchemist concocted a year ago and forgot in his inventory.

Poison is lethal in things like Shadowrun if your GM doesn't prepare for it.

Even so, you can SURVIVE them. All depends on various factors inside your body, generally amounting to your body's ability to purge toxic or radioactive material quickly.

>Not playing OSR where it's literally 'save vs poison or die'

I see you do not play old school d&d. Fear giant insects and snakes.

Not indian, but don't forget the absolute madman of antiquity: Mithridates VI of Pontus

>In his youth, after the assassination of his father Mithridates V in 120 BC, Mithridates is said to have lived in the wilderness for seven years, inuring himself to hardship. While there, and after his accession, he cultivated an immunity to poisons by regularly ingesting sub-lethal doses of the same.[25] He invented a complex "universal antidote" against poisoning; several versions are described in the literature.

>After Pompey defeated him in Pontus, Mithridates VI fled to the lands north of the Black Sea in the winter of 66 BC in the hope that he could raise a new army and carry on the war. However, his preparations proved to be too harsh on the local nobles and populace, and they rebelled against his rule. He allegedly attempted suicide by poison; this attempt failed, however, because of his immunity to the poison.

This. Also not all poisons kill or harm, any drug included alcohol should be considered a poison.

you are my people.

Off the top of my head, toxins fuck your shit up in shadowrun and OSR games.

In OSR, it's usually save or die for every poisonous creature, including the tiniest viper. In shadowrun 5e, most characters have very few dice to resist toxins and for injection-vector at least there's no easy way to get more, so getting shot with a strong toxin dart is very bad for you. I did the math, and a character with body and willpower 3 at full health only has like a 1 or 2% chance to stay conscious after being injected with neurostun.

GURPS has rules specifically for poisons and illnesses.

This is the issue. Anything that seems very strong and has rules behind it is something the players can abuse (suddenly everyone in the party has poison tipped bolts in their crossbow), that's why it's always better to leave something like poison to GM discretion.

The DND system just made everything super weak or super expensive to use, which is a stupid resolution to the problem.

This man is mah nigga. I would recommend reading this if you are into history. It's a little dry but very insightful. I have always wanted to make a PF character around Mithridates. But, sadly i couldn't make a build that would meet up to the standards of my party.

For an amusing contrast, most "I didn't just steal this from someone's laundry" tier poisons in nWoD 1e will kill the fuck out of you even if you have high stamina, even if you have natural toxin resistance, even if you are actively chugging the antidote to the poison at the time you are poisoned.

A serious problem with the way toxicity worked up until 2e if you actually used it RAW meant that even though a gas mask made you like, 20 times more likely to survive a gas attack, 20 times more likely still in absolute terms meant you had like a 15% chance of being okay if you were optimised for it.

Name one not ultra rules light game that doesn't.

Fucking gurps fag

Well obviously you build some immunity after 32 stabs.

He asked for examples of a high lethality system with poison you sperg. GURPS is high lethality and it's posion is especially highly lethal most poisons having the potential to do more damage than getting shot which in itself is no joke in GURPS.

Maybe that guy should have said that, then? Because what he said was ripe for the other user to call him out on -- having rules for poisons doesn't mean shit.
It's the specifics of those rules, which the accused "fucking gurps fag" totally left out, that matter here.

Maybe this is too much to ask but when someone ask for a high lethality system with poison and someone responds with a system, it might be safe to assume that the system is highly lethal even if you don't know anything about the system. I'll give it to you that saying GURPS has rules for poison is a bit redundant.

Why should we have to assume? The guy could have, you know, SAID what he actually meant, instead of trying to vaguely imply it with some meaningful glances in that direction. It's stupid.

I'm not entirely sure that he needs to clarify the fact that you asked for a high lethality system and he responded with GURPS, which is pretty infamous for being one of the most lethal systems around given a single gunshot wound can usually kill anyone, and two sword woulds can pt a character out of the game for weeks.

That he mentioned it has rules for the two things being discussed doesn't really matter as much as the fact he gave you a high lethality system that you personally didn't like.

Dickhead.

So, apparently, are you.

>bootybusted GURPSfags
nigga try Savage Worlds, if your Vigor stat is shit and you fuck up the resistance check your life can be measured in turns.
Or you could just black out for a bit. Depends on what you're getting hit with.

>GURPSfags in charge of not being asshats

See