You will never play a fantasy game set in the Pacific Northwest

>you will never play a fantasy game set in the Pacific Northwest

Feels bad, man.

Why would I want to?

Shadowrun, Native American Nations 2.

It's a setting I think about a lot. In many ways, you could reasonably adjust things so that it more closely approaches the European-style anachronistic fantasy.

You have raider folk to the north, such as Tlingit and Haida, that have some interesting armours and skilled sailors. To the south, you have the wealthy Coast Salish peoples, with advanced and well developed systems of marine agriculture and farming.

Because it's actually a pretty interesting area that is reasonably well documented and understood when compared to other "uncivilized" places. It might not be for everyone though, I understand that.

Shadowrun is kind of fantasy, I suppose? I was thinking something more like a D&D style fantasy though.

Fuck I'd kill for a fantasy game with a mesoamerican theme!

I'd like to go around bludgeoning bad guys with a macuahuitl, do you have any idea how much carnage that thing can do!

>take great source material

>shit all over it on purpose.

>do you have any idea how much carnage that thing can do!
no, not really

What kind of classes would one want in a PNW or even more broadly, Indigenous American fantasy game?

That was merely a suggestion for people less learned about the area. I myself would be more than content with a game set in a more true-to-source setting that blends the material with the Salish (or other group) mythical.

A Mesoamerican themed game could also be really fun! Especially when you consider just how far-reaching the influence and trade of some Mesoamerican cultures was.

It's essentially a wooden club with a "blade" of obsidian flakes on either side (flakes that are likely sharper than any metal blade you've ever come across). Also, they're jagged.

Obvious downside is that the flakes break very quickly, and need to be replaced pretty much every battle.

>no, not really
as described by one spaniard who was with Cortez's army:

"-an indian fighting against a mounted man, and the indian gave the horse of his antagonist, such a blow in the breast that he opened it to the entrails, and it fell dead on the spot. And the same day I saw another Indian give another horse a blow to the neck that stretched it out dead at his feet." This weapon was made to do one thing, to maim, if not outright dismember, whatever the fuck you swing it at.

>and need to be replaced pretty much every battle.
fortunately, a good weapon smith can fashion you a replacement obsidian blade in about 5 seconds. hell, with some skill you could probably pop-out the old, chipped blade and pop-in the new one mid-battle.

Forgot image. It could be fun to base classes off the Coast Salish idea of "Advice." Basically, it's a culmination of knowledge given by family members that includes professional skills and spirit knowledge. Advice is highly guarded as a highly valuable commodity. Further, it's believed that as a part of Advice, every person has a "spirit power," which could be anything from being able to commune with certain aspects of nature, to knowing how fish move, to being able to carve wood.

(Obviously this is highly simplified but youg et the gist.)

Gamewise, essentially you could pick a few components of Advice, and then a Spirit Power, and that would function as your class.

Really? I have to say that Mesoamerican technology isn't really an area I'm well versed in.

Actually did play a game set there.

After marathoning Gravity Falls, Stranger Things, and a bunch of 80's adventure movies, we had a game based around 4 teenaged kids in a small PNW town, discovering native ghosts and alien ruins and government plots and all kinds of stuff.

Shit was dope.

It'd be better to have a cart full of replacements than to try and fix it mid battle. The macahuitl is really only good for one or two hits, which is part of the reason why it's double edged.

What kind of adventures would you want to go on in a fantasy pre-European North America? What kind of character would you want to play?

That does sound pretty dope. I feel like even the modern PNW is a woefully underutilized setting for games and fiction. Maybe it's because I'm from here, but the gloomy, wet weather 3/4 of the year, the contrast between cities like Seattle and Vancouver, and little middle-of-nowhere towns, the vast trackless wilderness, it seems like a rich source of material.

Jesus did it again.

>The macahuitl is really only good for one or two hits,
pretty sure they are a little hardier than that.

if it wasn't they'd still be using copper hatchets, which they knew how to make, but they stuck with the macuahuitl because it was faster and easier to make, if it needed as much maintenance as you claim it wouldn't have been viable, that's not to say it was as resilient as a metal weapon, far from it, but it wasn't like it was made of balsa-wood either.

I mean, even without the teeth you still have a pretty solid club.

its edge gets used up by design. the flakes and shards are stuck in your foe's flesh making non-lethal wounds extremely dangerous.

But yeah, I could see four or so hits per side untill it is more club than macuahuitl but then you can also use it as a club untill you replace the edges or switch weapons.

I wonder what kind of battles the Mesoamericans saw most often. I believe it to be skirmishing, raiding and very limited 'big battle big field' engagements.

also, Pic related: The atlatl, it an other spear chuckers like the greek/roman's leather Amentum or the Australian Aboriginal woomera can allow a moderately experienced thrower to send their projectile rocketing at 150km/h with good accuracy. It can't reach too far past 60 meters with good accuracy, but it's still a very solid midrange tool.

>I wonder what kind of battles the Mesoamericans saw most often.
because of their choice of weapon, Aztec warriors would wear quilted cloth armor, and carry broad wooden shields with leather straps hanging from the bottom to deflect macuahuitl blows. battles were usually a charge at the enemy and then break off into single combat (due to the space needed to swing that thing properly) and when soldiers begain to tire there's be "flying reserves" that could rush into the center and allow other soldiers to withdraw. Aztec's were unique in that they would try and encircle their enemies rather than reinforce the center, a risky move, but they compensated by trying to bring a larger army. this encirclement wasn't 100% so that their opponents wouldn't feel entrapped and try to fight to the death, they'd instead try to retreat down these pre-planned gaps only to then be ambushed.

since advancement was determined by how many enemies you captured rather than killed, I imagine Aztec warriors often tried to knock-out opponents whenever they could and went to murdering them when that would prove too difficult.

the mesoamericans were hard ass motherfuckers living in some pretty extreme terrain. I have to wonder what kind of communites they had, if they were comunal in ways simmilar to other parts of the world, how their family structures worked... and the same goes for my interest in the north eastern tribes as well.

I wish there was more surviving history of the american cultures, their scope was truly titanic!