How would you stat a 40mm launcher with rubber/wood/wax/salt/any non-lethal rounds for a 3.5 setting?

how would you stat a 40mm launcher with rubber/wood/wax/salt/any non-lethal rounds for a 3.5 setting?

i know its a bludgeoning range weapon, but how much damage does this things do if shot directly into someone?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dPvgAN0wp-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Realistically a shot to the solar plexus or head will kill a man, and it will easily break bones anywhere else.

I'd use a better system for this sort of thing, you fucking mong.

You're going to have to give a little context for why a character in a D&D Fantasy Setting has access to a 20th century earth grenade launcher.

>if shot directly into someone?
lethal force you fag

e-even if shot from a distance? i mean not close combat, 60 feet far maybe?

its what we like, and its actually more houserules than the manunal itself, but im open to suggestions sorting on damage in any other way, so long as it gives me an aproach to how "non-lethal" would this thing be

we are taking the "system" changed with some house rules. and its gonna be a not so medieval setting, basicaly the players want a steampunk game and im trying my best to give them what they want

60 feet is less than 20 meters, that 40mm grenade launcher is designed for engaging targets at 150-350 meters.

>we are taking the "system" changed with some house rules. and its gonna be a not so medieval setting, basicaly the players want a steampunk game and im trying my best to give them what they want

He's right though. D&D does not convert to modern or *punk settings well at all. You have constantly ballooning HP and to-hit bonuses and it doesn't jive with a setting that isn't about legendary heroes who get the sort of plot armor that oceans of HP provide. It's way to easy to find ordinary men with rifles to be completely ineffective and not a threat if you work in a 3.PF framework.

Just use a more appropriate system. Alternity's a good system for modern/sci-fi, and there's a thread up about it right now.

fffuck, i was picturing this at something close haha, i was planning on them using it with lethal stuff on construct creatures

>¨It's way to easy to find ordinary men with rifles to be completely ineffective and not a threat if you work in a 3.PF framework.
we are gonna go with the classic "magic is dissapearing from the world" so, i think its gonna be kinda "safe" to use the system

still, thanks for the Alternity's link to the thread, gonna check it and see what i can take from it, and if it looks totaly better ill try to persuade the group (though i dont know if i can, they preffered 3.5 over the new 5 ed)

also i checked Dragonmech and i kinda liked the giant robot stuff in there, but its not entirely what we are looking for

>we are gonna go with the classic "magic is dissapearing from the world" so, i think its gonna be kinda "safe" to use the system
You seem to be completely misunderstanding why 3.5 is inappropriate for what you want to use it for.

Assuming you're running off of it's framework, you gain varying amounts of HP and to-hit bonuses every level, and have static damage on weapons. This means that rifles will be inconsequential at some point, just because of HP gain. At some point, because you've fought more monsters, being shot with a rifle becomes something that you can shrug off because you've earned more meat points, and one PC vs. a dozen guards is a laughable contest because of level discrepancies. If you're going to run a steampunk/modern/sci-fi game where the players are ostensibly normal if somewhat pulpy heroes, you need a system in which the ordinary mook never ceases to be a threat, however minimal. 3.5 and the various D&D editions and clones are not what you should be looking for to do steampunk.

how about this one?
youtube.com/watch?v=dPvgAN0wp-g

im planning on kinda "solve" this by adding enhancers to the guns, there will also be saw-blades available, still i plan on checking this and the iron kingdoms manual

>im planning on kinda "solve" this by adding enhancers to the guns, there will also be saw-blades available,

It's not really solving much. It's a bandaid fix over something that's a core feature of the system. HP systems are for legendary heroes who keep swinging as hard as they can until they're out of HP and then drop like a bag of bricks. A game with a more nuanced injury, wounds, or health system is better for modern or pulpy adventures instead of epic hero shenanigans.

'Enhancers' to guns only exacerbate the problem. So you've given your ordinary mooks '+2 enhancers' so they can actually hit the heroes and do more damage to eat through the PC's health pool in a dangerous fashion. Now the PC's win the fight, and take the steam rifles or enhancements for their own. Now they have +2 steam rifles and they gain another level, necessitating your next batch of enemies to have +3 steam rifles. It's an ugly cycle, and at some point you're still going to run into the issue where the standard guards can't hurt the PC's meaningfully without having 8 different extra steam dongles and cogs on their rifles.

Modern games tend to run better where the health pools don't increase too much as the game progresses, allowing damage to remain largely static. Progression makes heroes and enemies get more skilled at dodging and hitting, but mooks can always get lucky and if they do, the damage is not inconsequential.

Iron Kingdoms is a decent system for what you want, though it is more a midpoint between epic heroes and pulp than straight pulp.

Also, the hell do saw-blades have to do with anything?

>rubber/wax/any non-lethal rounds
It would have a high chance of killing your target, realistically speaking. Though, realism is not much of an issue in D&D. So, stat it any way you want.

wood/salt
Extra lethal damage verse vampires.

>the hell do saw-blades have to do with anything

they do a lot of damage, the pont is that, since its the continuation of a previous setting, some hundreds of years after their last characters, technology has reach a point in where you have to be careful or you will die very easily, or kill very easily, dragons are gonna be having a hard time being the "bad" guys now

>the standard guards can't hurt the PC's
well of course, as they characters rise in levels, they get better, more experieced in combat, to the point that the standard guard (now a victorian police officer) wont be able to face them, they might even think twice before trying to stop the players if he they know who their characters are (local heroes/legends/etc)

and yes, they might get some bigger, more deadly equipment but, isnt that just what happens even on medieval settings? we have reached the point before when the characters could have wings to fight a dragon/angel in the air, now they will need to buy/craft mechanical wings to do so (and they will actually be saving angels and even infenrals from whats going on)

>wood/salt
>Extra lethal damage verse vampires.
i was thinnking this and also blessed bullets/ammo

Just treat damage and attacks as though it were a ranged Heavy Flail.

>1d10 damage
>+2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy.
>You can also use this weapon to make trip attacks.

This:
> technology has reach a point in where you have to be careful or you will die very easily, or kill very easily

Does not jive with this:
>well of course, as they characters rise in levels, they get better, more experieced in combat, to the point that the standard guard (now a victorian police officer) wont be able to face them

If you have rifles that kill dragons and they've proliferated enough that dragons aren't a thing because they'll get shot dead, why the doesn't a single shot not put down a PC instantly, regardless of level, being that dragons have much deeper HP pools? Going to treat them like semi-rare magical equipment?

The point of a modern system is that the guy with a knife in a dark alley, the guard with a rifle, or the policeman with his pistol is always dangerous. You can mitigate that danger with armor and dodging skills, but there's always the danger that you get a bullet in your eye, or that dagger could hit something vital. In HP systems, this danger doesn't exist. Critical hits take off more HP, but past a certain point, it just means you lost more meat points than usual and a critical doesn't do anything to injure or incapacitate you at all.

That's what I mean by epic heroes. That's what D&D and it's clones are built for - you shrug off the hordes of orcs to go fight the dragon and nothing slows you down in the least. Steampunk isn't about epic heroes. The various *punk settings are about grit and scrabbling for advantage. Injuries should slow you down.

You've stated that this is intended to be a future version of a D&D setting, so maybe that's why your clinging to the system, but I'm telling you now that d20 is an absolute shit system for handling firearms and modern combat, for reasons of both thematics and mechanics. If you're planning on throwing out a huge chunk of the magic shit from it anyway, there are a great many systems that do what you're professing to want better.

>Cont.

>and yes, they might get some bigger, more deadly equipment but, isnt that just what happens even on medieval settings? we have reached the point before when the characters could have wings to fight a dragon/angel in the air, now they will need to buy/craft mechanical wings to do so (and they will actually be saving angels and even infenrals from whats going on)

Actually, let me back off. I have this backwards.

You /don't/ want to do steampunk, and I should have seen that. You want to just add a little steam, fake tech and Victorian aesthetic to D&D.

I'm just going to drop the only firearms rules that we ever managed to get to work in D&D 3.5, and then fuck off.

Firearms do a d6 of damage per size category. A pistol is small, a rifle is medium, a swivel gun is large, cannons are huge. This damage is not applied to HP. It goes directly to Constitution. Guns ignore Hardness on objects. If you are firing a pistol or rifle, make a ranged touch attack. If you are firing a swivel gun or cannon, make an Artillery skill check.

Done. Best I can do and stay within the framework of D&D. Good luck.

well, as i see it, you will need cannons to kill a dragon, and well, they can have more Hp as they raise in challenge rating, just as players gain Hp as they raise in levels

i get your point in that the game might run better with a system that handles danger differently, but they want to use ginormous steaming guns to defeat colossal golems, and heal them themselves with gallons of potions instead of havin a cleric near

>You want to just add a little steam, fake tech and Victorian aesthetic to D&D.
well yeah, more or less

>1d6 of damage
i was stating a normal pistol as 1d10

>they want to use ginormous steaming guns to defeat colossal golems, and heal them themselves with gallons of potions instead of havin a cleric near
Yeah, that's 3.5 players for you.

>i was stating a normal pistol as 1d10
Yeah, but that d6 is Constitution damage, not HP. Lower damage threshold to bring someone to death, and it reduces thier max HP at the same time.

>Yeah, that's 3.5 players for you.
for us, sometimes we play serious campaings, sometimes we let the high fantasy in, and sometimes we play in between, it all depends on who is DM and what the players want

about the pistol, yes i forgot to add that the 1d10 was to hp not to constitution.
at first the constitution damage looked like a good idea to me but i think it will wear the characters too fast, i know you want realism, but i dont think they will like to fall/kill THAT fast. still thanks

They're called "less lethal" weapons, not "non-lethal". Reason being, they'll fuck your shit up if you take one head on. A wax slug or bean bag from a 12 gauge shotgun will shatter any bone in your body at home defense ranges, and that 40mm launcher will incapacitate someone a pool length away, if not a football field.

I'm not really sure how to translate that damage into a system where you can take a blow from a halberd that would split your head in half and keep fighting like nothing happened, but if you ever get your hands on one of those things, treat it like a weapon that will kill you, because that's exactly what it is.

Depends on the force launching it. 40mm doesn't mean much. You can load a Mk19 round into an m320. It would fit perfectly and fire, but the explosive force would rupture the tube and probably kill you. I used to flip quarters with them for fun.

>they want to use ginormous steaming guns to defeat colossal golems, and heal them themselves with gallons of potions instead of havin a cleric near

sounds pretty fucking_cool_, user

>inb4 just-use-E6 fags