I want to make a druid archetype for 5E based on shinto shrine maidens and mixing in some traditional european...

I want to make a druid archetype for 5E based on shinto shrine maidens and mixing in some traditional european "wand-wed" elements. For a PC.
Sadly, I am a buffoon best suited for challenging and fun combat encounters.
Can /tg help me?

I think maybe, to start us off, they should get a an item familiar (the wand) that is linked to a sacred tree.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shide_(Shinto)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gohei
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōnusa
log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Kannagi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Or it can be, like, a stone wand linked to a sacred stone.
Point is:
Wand -linked to -Sacred shrine

There is a precedent for the ritual use of wands in Shinto, so I guess that works. It's mostly used for purification rituals, according to Wiki.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shide_(Shinto)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gohei
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōnusa

Yeah, I mean, lorewise it fits.
But what I need help with is hard rules. That's where I am weak.

What about something like, at 3rd level, when picking this archetype, you get an item familiar that serves as a druidic focus and gives you +1 to spell attack rolls and spell save DC ?

> gives you +1 to spell attack rolls and spell save DC ?

That's not something 5e really does with class features.

Why druid? Why not cleric? Hell, why not wizard?

Do Shinto maidens turn into animals? Control nature?

Serious question, I have no idea.

>Do Shinto maidens turn into animals? Control nature?
It's a very shamanistic religion.

>That's not something 5e really does with class features.
but can it be?
I mean, just cus no other class does it doesn't mean it's bad?

>It's a very shamanistic religion.

That should still mean a nature-y cleric and not a druid. I mean, they still have temples and everything. Druids primarily tend to nature, not temples.

Okay, so what are the unique abilities of a shinto maiden in lore?

>I mean, just cus no other class does it doesn't mean it's bad?

Imo, yes, at least in this way. Using a fancy wand is just using a fancy wand as a casting focus. It could be easily considered a holy symbol or somesuch. You need to grab what's mechanically unique about shinto, not things that are easily refluffable surface ideas (like wands with those paper thingies on them).

Rhabdomancy is the art of divination using a wand and seeing where it falls.
Could be useful.

No, I need them to be druids because of the game lore.

The tradition of Shinto Shrine maidens stem from female shamans and they have some pretty common shamanic "powers" like going to trance via dance and foreseeing the future, spirit possession and excorcism.

>like going to trance via dance and foreseeing the future

Augury is also a cleric thing I think.

> spirit possession and excorcism.

And these are basically channel divinity.

So, I guess a shamanistic druid path that gives access to some cleric tricks/channels could work. Or possibly just multiclassing the two.

Check the druid unearthed arcana that came out I think 2 weeks ago, it has a spirit shaman archetype IIRC.

log-horizon.wikia.com/wiki/Kannagi

just copy everything from here

>here you go OP! An undead-fighter who is nothing like what you wanted!

Good job

I'll look it up.

Nigga, that's not even d&d

>I want it to be a druid!

>but they are basically clerics, look, all the abilities you list are available to clerics, while druids have a bunch of extraneous stuff that aren't...

>I WANT DRUID!

>Okay well, then look into multiclassing or making a path based on clericss, or looking into this shamanistic druid archetype

>THANKS FOR NOT HELPING! WAAAAH

fucking millennials

>hey lets create a new class thats similar to another class in D&D
>sure user, heres an RPG that did something similar, just copy the spell names and use the same weaknesses/strengths when creating the class
>HURR THATS NOT AN ALREADY-MADE D&D CLASS !!

Are you gonna call him a "cuck" next?

Unless he invites me to fuck his girlfriend read: handjob with his right hand, no.

>weeb

I get the feeling give other men hand jobs with your left hand.

Only if they have a cute feminine penis.

Well, you keep going 'Play something other than what you want'. I can totally see a Shinto-themed druid.

I mean, that's basically the entire Shaman idea from D&D 4e. You speak with the spirits of nature about you rather than a mere god.

>posting weeb as an insult on a Himalayan sand painting carrier pigeon network

>. I mean, they still have temples and everything. Druids primarily tend to nature, not temples.

That's a bit of a stretch. Not all clerics have a temple and not all druids are without structure.

Well, neither the cleric or the druid talk with spirits (although iirc Clerics do have talk with dead). 4e it was a druid thing, yes, but in 5e core, you don't have anything to go with. Hell, totem barbarians talk more with spirits.the barbarian talks with more spirits than them.

That said, the unearthed arcana druid does get a spirit speaker thing, so yeah, hunt that down.

What the Druid DOES get is being able to turn into animals. I think that ability is too big and important to keep it on a shinto theme if it's not actually in theme. If shintos regularly turn into birds and wolves and fish? Okay, go ahead, but that's not what my impression was.

Animism, but no Shamanism

>not all druids are without structure.
Like stonehenge, totem poles and other SHRINES.

>What the Druid DOES get is being able to turn into animals

Well, if you go moon druid it's important. Otherwise a lot less so.

It's still their primary feature, aside from the spells.

It's very secondary and would be VERY fitting for a someone who worships Inari or deals regularly with Kitsune.

>4e it was a druid thing
Its Shamans who have this ability

Man, I miss 4e Primal. It really helped deal with this Druid/Cleric divide well.

That and it provided actual justification on why the gods don't physically turn up to mess about. (They used to and then the spirits of the world got sick of it and slapped their shit until they went away)

Who are a primal power class. Which is mostly the druid people. The distinction no longer exists in 5e officially, is my point.

Actually, there is shamanism in Shinto, and miko used to be regarded as such. Nowadays, it's mostly smaller, local traditions that usually aren't directly affiliated with shrines. Look up "itako" for one example. There are also shamanesses associated with Inari worship, but I can't remember what they're called.

I can definitely see a druid having beliefs that match shintoism or another animistic religion. Druids share a lot of themes with them. But for making a class based on a shinto priest, a druid wouldn't be particularly suited, since the whole "turning into animals" thing is kind of a core druid ability, and wouldn't really fit.
There really could be a separate "shaman" class, which would be themed around animistic religions and communing with spirits. Kind of like a divine warlock, where you get your magic from appealing and commanding spirits. However, it would be kind of hard to differentiate it from cleric and druid. I wanted to try writing something like that, but didn't really have good ideas for unique mechanics.

4e did it very easily via summoning (easily destroyed but infinitely respawnable) spirits that were the source for most of the powers you used rather than your own square.

Druids also have an entire subclass for 'I don't wanna do much in combat with shapeshifting' that moves them more to a pure spellcaster with a couple of odd mobility tricks.

Basically, this dude is wanting to make a Shrine Maiden while knowing nothing about Shrine Maidens other than what he learned from 2ho.

By all regards, they should probably just be an unarmored cleric that is focused around purity. Or just play the Shaman homebrew.

Allright, now, NOW.
Trips checked all so ok.
But how can a penis be "feminine"?

By being Swedish.

He confuses fluff with mechanics, and views clerics as attached to organized religion and worshipping a single deity.

As a Shintoist, cleric is close to the right choice, but using a truly massive pantheon instead of a single deity. Drop armor and weapons to gain additional spells related to purity, growth, divination, and combat.

No, its not, retard

Basically. You can easily just take the Unarmored Cleric option from the DMG as well, swapping from armor proficiency to the Monk's ability. From there, just make a Domain.

That could work. The character could be a spellcaster that doesn't cast by themselves, but summons spirits and has them cast for them. Kind of like BM ranger, but not as bad because instead of spending an action to command your animal companion to make a basic attack, you're spending an action to have your summoned spirit cast a spell.

You could have different kinds of spirits, each with a very limited spell list composed of a few thematically appropriate spells for each level (a spirit of fire would know spells like burning hands and fireball, another spirit would know healing spells, etc.), with you class level determining the highest level spells the spirits you summon can cast and how many times per day you can command them to cast (fluffed as higher level shamans being able to call on more powerful spirits and being able to ask them more favours). At higher levels you could have multiple summoned spirits out at the same time, and although you could still only command one to cast a spell every turn, it would give you more tactical flexibility.

>By being Swedish.
Sweden is fine. Get out fascist.

Did you get wifi installed in your cuckshed, Sven?

>>calls people fascists without knowing anything about them.
>>he's considered an open minded progressist.

I want out of this fucking planet.

When I played Miko in 3.5 and Pathfinder I always just took Scribe Scroll at first level and it was fine. Bam, instant ofuda scribing, the rest is fluff and how you play.

I mean, just tape some shide on the side of a Wand of Cure Light Wounds, or of Bless, Lesser Restoration or whatever you want it to be and be done with it. Or tape shide to your metamagic rod of choice.

Heck, if you went with cleric instead of druid, just make your gohei your divine focus, would be more than appropriate. For your druid, work it out that it substitutes for needing a pouch of bat dung or whatever else. Though not sure how you're going to scribe ofudas or blast undead for "akuryou taisan" action as a druid in 5e. Obviously you're going Circle of the Land druid.

Otherwise honestly you could take any class and then take the Ritual Caster feat in 5e for your Miko. Though honestly I'd go with an acolyte background Cleric with Life Domain as being closest in idea to the shrine maiden.

I don't know where you pulled out this baloney that you need an item familiar wand linked to a sacred tree to be a shrine maiden. If you really want a familiar with your Miko, just play a Ranger and take Ritual Casting and Magic Initiate feats to grab cure/bless from cleric and then play up your animal companion as being a kami or komainu. You'll get nature-y elements as well and could go for that fad "archery miko" stereotype as well.

>I don't know where you pulled out this baloney that you need an item familiar wand linked to a sacred tree to be a shrine maiden.
if you READ the OP you'd know he wanted to mix the shrine maiden with a northern-european wand-wed witch.

And if you read anything about northern-european wand-wed traditions, you'd know that their wands weren't intelligent item familiars and that a cleric worshiping Freyja would be far more appropriate than a druid.

And paladins didnt do magic in real life, play a mount-focused fighter, faggot.

Well, they also didn't do magic in the legends either, so... Yeah, play a mount-focused fighter.

>Wants a magic wand linked to a sacred tree
Literally just say that. For gods sake just say that in game. I swear, people like you have no imagination. Here, let me type it out for you:

"My wise woman wears robes of white and red, presenting her faith proudly. In her hand she bears a staff decorated with bound and folded pure white paper and knotted rope. It is her treasured tool, symbol of her spiritual connections and religious authority, symbolically trimmed from the branch of the tree of life."

Done. Fuck. Even with your smarmy-ass fighter comment, you know in 5e you could go on full Eldritch Warrior archetype with Ritual Casting and Mage Initiate, take the acolyte background and play a magical knight. Or you could just take the acolyte background and play a crusading monastic knight without magic.

>Acting as if wanting to play a non-magical knight should be done with the Paladin class, rather than a mounted fighter.
Morons like you totally misunderstand the class system.

>>Acting as if
You're the one who brought real life into this.

>tolerating intolerance
Is this fucking Stormfront????