/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Kobold Dragon Hunting Party Edition

>Latest News
Monk UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/monk-monastic-traditions
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Fighters!
sgiz.mobi/s3/58266b749755

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Last thread: What do you want to see come back from earlier editions?
What DON'T you want to see come back?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/1ecrVTKt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its as large as a small ship, and moves 8 miles per hours, 12 if it uses air currents or tailwind.

>4e was the best edition
>8 int wizard
>bugbearmont

To be fair, 8 int wizards wouldn't work in 4e.

I'm not really sure what the atmosphere of the forgotten realms is like.
They woudn't need to worry about breathing if it was a closed system with some pressurized air chamber or something.

If you use a telescope, you simply cannot avoid detection. Of course, the telescope would have to scour to find you.

A human won't be able to breathe very well above 8000ft and will suffer altitude sickness.

No matter what, at 8mph, it WILL cast a visible, easily trackable shadow on a clear day. However, due to its size and the nature of shadows it's very unlikely anyone will spot it by its shadow alone.

A human eye can supposedly discern a car's headlights at a range of 3km.
So, a ship like that you probably want to be even further, but you can't go any higher than 8000 feet without danger.

So, likely, unless the atmosphere is different to earth or there's a breathing system or everyone is acclimitized to high altitudes, it'll probably be around 7000 or 8000 feet in the sky, and it will still be visible from the ground.

Might need to go more like 25000 feet into the sky if they want to avoid detection.

Of course, if it's cloudy below where they're flying, they might be able to get away with some things.

>What do you want to see come back from earlier editions?
Roll under attribute for skill resolution

>What DON'T you want to see come back?
THAC0

I want my players to have to fight one of my Magic decks. How would I stat a planeswalker NPC?

Would it be unfair for the players if an air elemental flings them off the airship with its whirlwind ability? Unless its the group wizard, monk or maybe the fighter (due to high hp) the player is pretty much boned.

>counterspell
Can't counterspell what is a class feature and not a spell
>antimagic
You're not concentrating on it, so the effect continues independent of you even if you fall unconscious (or die). The target creature is on another plane of existence.

I repeat: >the creature is banished for 1 minute (as in the banishment spell, no concentration required) if it isn't on its plane of origin
No concentration, no interrupting the duration.

Why are animals so underpowered?
By RAW, a lion taking the dash action will barely clear 11 miles an hour

IRL lions can run 40 mph, sometimes more. That should really give them a dashing speed of ~350 feet (obviously regular movement would be slower)

Anyone have a blacksmith build?

Depends on their level.

Maximum fall damage is 20d6.
If an average result is rolled, that's 70 damage.
A character with a maximum HP of 36 on full HP will survive an average fall, in that case, but will then have to succeed on three death saves.

Apparently, teleporting negates any velocity you have according to someone because your speed is set to zero moving through whatever teleportation plane you go through, but I'm not sure that's in the rulebook.
A monk can reduce fall damage by 5x(monk level) if I recall right. That should be enough for them to survive.
A wizard is honestly not likely to have feather fall unless they're prepared for an airship journey. In which case.. Yes, they should be prepared.
I think a rogue should honestly make a parachute for themselves, even if it only half-works.

I suppose you should encourage the players to have defences, but there should probably be railings or something that makes it hard for the players to get so easily thrown off.
At least let the players make an attempt to hold onto the railings through some sort of ability check, and give other players a chance to grab on and stop them from blowing away.

Players could also be careful with their positioning.

Everything you can so it's not just 'you get hit, you fall off'.

Because by RAW, such a speed would mean ludicrously fast overland travel speeds.

DnD is not a simulation.

Combat speed is not long distance speed. Otherwise, two levels in rogue suddenly makes you 50% faster for some odd reason.

Long distance speed is typically greater than in-combat speed, I believe.

In combat, you're assumed you aren't sprinting everywhere, I guess. A rogue taking the dash action is merely moving quickly while also doing their usual action and other things, otherwise they'd be sprinting like another player and taking an action at the same time.

Gives me an idea for a lion style encounter if its speed was actually 350ft/rd

Party of four level 2 adventurers vs a lion.
Lion is given Mobile so it can move in attack and move out. Entire combat is the lion blitz attacking one person at a time and disengaging until the party can figure out a way to stop it from slowly offing them.

More like a puzzle than an encounter.

So I have a player bard reaching Vallakis for the first time, and we're running CoS at high level, and I'm thinking wether or not I should spice things up by screwing with Rictavio, but I'm not entirely sure hiw just yet.

>I ready an action to attack the lion when he gets close

Wow, so hard.

What's a neat way for a wizard to cheat in a chess game against an opponent with 5e mechanics? Said wizard would be level 8 or 9 and the opponent would be a construct immune to charm effects.

Well that's not a lion's overland speed either, it's the lion's sprinting speed.
>DnD is not a simulation.
Ebin meme friend

>Long distance speed is typically greater than in-combat speed, I believe.
No, short distances is where you should be fastest.
>In combat, you're assumed you aren't sprinting everywhere, I guess
So what's the dash action then? Dashing should be when you're going at your absolute top maximum speed.

50 feet isn't an unreasonable speed for in combat, but animals should be able to sprint in much higher bursts

I honestly kind of feel like this was the intention behind the design of Pounce
Animal runs up, hits the PC with a ton of force, get their opportunity attack, then gets the hell out of there before anyone can hit them.

>What do you want to see
I'd like prestige classes, although I guess archetypes sort of serve the same role. Kinda. Also a viable STR based unarmed fighter would be nice.
>What do you NOT want to see?
A crap load of feat bloat. I didn't mind bloat way too often in most other stuff in 3.5/PF but what was really bad was feats. So much fucking bloat there. I'm glad 5e decided to go with the more focused and powerful feats rather than fifty thousand shit feats

To be clear, are you saying an in DnD game wizard wants to cheat at a game of (in DnD) chess, that is identical to real-world chess?

He shoots his opponent with a ray of Disintegrate

come on there is no room for cheating in chess

You can't, because pretty much all spells have either a vocal or somatic component, and those are all big/loud and obvious unless you have subtle metamagic

Animate Objects on the chess pieces. Have them roll stealth to move around the board favorably.
Watch it go "DOES NOT COMPUTE"

Around what level do you get a plate armor usually ?

Boring route: Self buffs so you can pass any rolls related to the chess game. Cast them all before the game so no one thinks anything is up.

Fun route:

>In 1 minute, you can move a number of feet equal to your speed times 10.
>In 1 hour, you can move a number of miles equal to your speed divided by 10.
>For daily travel, multiply your hourly rate of travel by the number of hours traveled (typically 8 hours).
>For a fast pace, increase the rate of travel by one-third.
>For a slow pace, multiply the rate by two-thirds.
DMG p243

Give the players an abundance of ropes they can throw to each other, and plenty of warning that the air elemental has the ability to toss people overboard.

Maybe have the air elemental knock a no-name NPC off the boat first, so the players get the picture.

That's not my problem.
Let me put this another way: I don't have a problem with a lion only being able to travel 5 miles in a day, my problem is that by RAW it would take a lion 20 seconds to run the 100 meter dash.

>lion can travel 140 miles in 8 hours
>this is okay

Have the captain at the beggining of the journey go "AGH, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL A' YOU SCA''YWAGS DOING PRANCING AROUND ME DECK WITHOUT YE FOOKIN HARNESSES ON? THE ROPE, YE DUNCE, TIE IN THE ROPE. YE WANNA FALL DOWN FIVE HUNDRED FEET TO THE GROUND, BE ME BLOODY GUEST, BUT I AINT PAID NO FARE TA PICK UP ARSEHOLE JAM FROM THE DIRT, YA HEAR ME?"

If Spelljammer is anything to go by, Toril's atmosphere is surrounded by phlogiston of uniform pressure, so you can go as high as you want and don't really have to worry about escape velocity or a hard vacuum.

>REMEMBER: SPELLJAMMER IS FANFICTION

I want tiered levels of play to come back from 4e. With bounded accuracy tiers, it would be great.

Yes that's correct.

Then where does Boo come from?

I like this one a lot, even better make it move in the construct's favor and accuse IT of cheating.

>I think STR monk is alright from level 1 to 10.

How retarded am I ?

Quarterstaff?

>tiered levels of play

>Boo

what did he mean by this

>I want to make an objectively worse decision when building my character

Sure senpai.

>tfw Dex is literally Str++ for monks

It's useful for very niche builds such as grappler monk. But unless you've taken mobility you're going to be about as tough as a candle in a wind storm.

The space hamster of Minsc in the Baldurs Gate computer games

The traditional way is to say "chess is for losers" and magically annihilate the construct.

heavy 2h weapon with GWM

what if you wear armor.

the idea is to get stunning strikes but also actually deal damage. Not saying it's good, I just think it's alright.

dude...

So... Kensei?

How would you handle a high mountain environment? I have a setting in mind with a lake high up a mountain range, where the air is thin. What challenges should that pose. Also what creatures would be appropriate?

Yes, kensei is way better. But it is UA.

Just I was comparing kensei with STR shadow monk and thought the latter was actually alright.

If you assume monks spam their ki on stuns, you don't lose out THAT much.

Altitude sickess = exhaustion can come easier, and stacking exhaustion too quickly can be fatal

Harpies, yetis, wyverns, perytons, stone giants

Where can I find some stats for just "a big fucking snake?" I want to include one in a campaign but I can't seem to find one in the Monster Manual. Not a Naga, just a big dumb snake.

>50714643
Try looking under giant constrictor snake

how would you do the effects of warpstone in 5e?

Then you're wearing armor which means you can't use martial arts, improved mobility, or unarmored defense. At which point, unless you're going shadow monk for their useful utility, you might as well ask yourself why you aren't playing a fighter or paladin.

>I'll give one preview here - I think mystic is going to shift to d6, psychic warrior type moves to fighter. Like/hate? #psionics #wotcstaff
I hope you're inundating his Twitter with HATE, /5eg/. Don't be a fag and ruin this for us.

magical unobtainium-plotdevicate?

thanks

What the fuck is mystic

>Counterspell
>Casting Time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
If the spell is made Subtle, it has no somatic components, so you can't see it being cast. Can't counterspell what you can't see.

I guess you can argue that if it has verbal components you can see their lips moving in a spellcasty way? But if it only has M components then it's totally impossible. Their hand remains perfectly still on their arcane focus or whatever and the spell just happens before you can react.

Asking for advice about the crunch
pastebin.com/1ecrVTKt

psionic class they're working on
was in an UA with a castery subclass and a fighty subclass, now they're going to split it in the

Arbitrary flat penalties aren't really used in 5e, it's usually either advantage or minus 1d4 or something. But sure why not. Btw it's spelled 'proficiency.

The bite attack being 1d10 (more than any 1H weapon) and getting maximized damage without limitation seems overpowered. Lizardmen (Volo's Guide to Monsters) get 1d6+STR bite damage, and can steal life once per rest with it.

Bonus weapon proficiencies probably shouldn't be a thing if the race doesn't live really long. For example, dwarves and elves get them, because they live for hundreds of years, and probably spend 20 years of their lives just practicing weapons. But the Triton (VGM) doesn't get net and trident proficiency.

Omniphagia should define which attribute is used for the saving throw. Also, you should maybe say whether the lifesteal works on objects? I guess it's not much more OP even if it does because it's only once per day.

Not sure why Tinkering is based on Perception, it sounds mroe intelligence based to me. Also it doesn't make sense to me that a weapon breaks down by itself after a minute even if you don't attack with it. I don't know what would be a better alternative, however. And what's the DC, determined by the DM for each situation? Also goblins should probably get darkvision.

Wild omens should probably be limited.

Of note, is that subtle counterspell isn't 100% fool proof.
Spells with material components can still be countered even when subtle.

But you're holding your hand on a staff. Then you cast the spell while still holding the staff without moving your hands. Then you've cast the spell and nothing has moved. How can you "see" that?

>Martial Arts
GWM compensate for Martial Ats and furry of blows

>Unarmored defense
AC through armor is not as good but it's fine. it takes 3 ASIs to surpass plate armor. both start at 16.

>Improv mobility
you lose out

Kensai is good.
Druid UA is best UA.
Fighter UA is predictably worst UA.
Bladelocks still suck.

Sure you can use a greatsword and such, my question is - what is it about monk specifically that makes you want to do a str based GWM master build? My point wasn't that those things are so good that you're fucked by taking str, but rather that they're the things that give it a lot of that monk flavor. It's like saying "I want to do a zen barbarian build, and never use rage!" You can do it, and 5E is solid enough that it will work - but why take that class specifically over others if you don't want the flavor and iconic abilities?

Guess that comes down to the DM if they'd rule the staff must have some kind of effect to make up for the component or not.

I'd personally rule regardless if there's a material component that even with an arcane focus it could be countered since I like simplicity.
Then again, that opens up the can of worms of 'Hah no, got you, he wasn't actually casting a spell, just flailing his hands and mumbling under his breath. Lose your 3rd level slot and he will now begin to ACTUALLY cast...

Stunning strike and shadow step
Stunning is the iconic monk ability imo, along with fighting with your fists and unarmored fighting. This just make a flavor of fighter/monk like holy knights, stunning with a greatmaul.

>psion is a full caster
>psychic warrior is a 2/3rds caster
>both work in the base Mystic class and spells and PP are balanced against the damage and per-rest uses of Clerics, which is another d8, medium armor+shields class with additional class abilities and archetype features
>NOPE WE BETTER PORT THE HITTY MYSTIC TO A FIGHTER ARCHETYPE FOR BALANCE
>it's going to be as non-casty as an Eldritch Knight when it's supposed to be more casty than a Paladin
literally why would they think this is a good idea

user, I am literally playing a Fighter1/Monk6 right now, wearing armor and using a warhammer and shield. It's fun and effective as fuck. I got Shadow Step at the end of last session and we'll be playing tonight as soon as my DM gets home from work.

Don't let your dreams be dreams.

how will gishfags ever recover

Going to stat a proficient 8INT wizard, what level should I make the build? 6-8 seems a nice practical and likely playing level.

>Don't let your dreams be dreams.
Thanks user, just what I needed I can go to bed now

PS : Will you get more fighter levels and when?

Fight 1 / Favored Soul Sorcerer X
Half-Elf
15(+1) 8 15(+1) 8 10 14(+2)

AC 20 (Plate armor + Haste), 25 with shield spell. Blink and Mirror Image.

Combat sequence: attack,extra attack, haste attack, quicken GFB.

Is this a good gish?

>multiclass
faggot

Pure Favoured Soul 6 10CHA guy reporting
Your initiative will be poor, so very vulnerable to getting one shot if your DM likes surprises.
Quickened GFB also feels off, since you'd really only be able to do it as often as you have sorc points which would normally go to shielding or regaining a 3rd level slot.

The fighter level also stacks less with FS due to already having med+shield.

Don't forget to make sure its the War domain. At 7th you'll get Freedom of Movement, which with subtle spell will make you immune to cheeky shit like hold person. (Oh I failed? I subtle FoM and break free. Make sure you always have a belt tied around your arm/hand as the material component so it's always on you.)

Never understood why people hate using a feat on Weapon master for a great sword or something either. I'd take that over slowed down casting any day. (Then again, I'm a 3.5e whore so its engrained in my DNA to never lose casting levels)

>Will you get more fighter levels
We're doing SKT and my Dex is only 13 so I feel like hitting Monk 7 for Evasion would be worthwhile if we intend to tango with Storm or Fire Giants. I feel like there could be a lot of Dex saves flying around there, and being able to Still Mind away charm/fright would be useful too. At that point it'd feel silly to not grab Monk 8 for the ASI alone and cap out my Strength.

But after that I'd definitely go Fighter the rest of the way. Monk 10's purity of body is not appealing (i'm also a dwarf so whatever, poison), and Cloak of Shadows at 11 seems redundant if I can just teleport around as long as it's dark. The only thing interesting past Monk 8 is the "run up walls and across water" part of Unarmored Movement at 9, which I would argue still functions in armor/shield despite the +speed part not working.

As for more Fighter levels, I don't think it's impossible that I could end up 3/8 before the end of the campaign since it seems like we're foiling multiple giant types instead of just one. It would be nice to pick up some maneuvers, especially since Stunning Blow means I can force creatures to auto-fail things like Trip, Disarm, or Pushing Attack.
I do have an axebeak I stole and barded from some orogs so Knight could be interesting if it survives til then, but Marking is always good.

20 AC so no shield , meaning a 2h wep, then just go variant human and pick GWM and don't rely on CHA spells too much.

why do people have a such a hard-on for casters in armor
dude you don't need armor when you're surrounded by a fucking wall of force bro

You're right, Paladins and Clerics should wear light armor

>Arbitrary flat penalties aren't really used in 5e, it's usually either advantage or minus 1d4 or something. But sure why not.
I know that, but your sugestions don't scale up for higher levels.

>Btw it's spelled 'proficiency.
Ops, thank you.

>The bite attack being 1d10 (more than any 1H weapon) and getting maximized damage without limitation seems overpowered.
Are you considering that this attack can only be used once per turn? It is a natural attack after all. And the maximization has limitations, it will only happen with unarmored things in practice.

>Bonus weapon proficiencies probably shouldn't be a thing if the race doesn't live really long.
Why?

>For example, dwarves and elves get them, because they live for hundreds of years, and probably spend 20 years of their lives just practicing weapons.
They do? And why would it take 20 years to learn how to use a weapon?

>But the Triton (VGM) doesn't get net and trident proficiency.
It doesn't meant it isn't possible.

>Omniphagia should define which attribute is used for the saving throw.
Noted.

>Also, you should maybe say whether the lifesteal works on objects? I guess it's not much more OP even if it does because it's only once per day.
It does, and objects get half damage and so, half healing.

>Not sure why Tinkering is based on Perception
Because it depends on finding things that can be used to improvise a weapon.

>Also it doesn't make sense to me that a weapon breaks down by itself after a minute even if you don't attack with it.
And if it said "attack 10 times?" It's the same as one minute in turns.

>And what's the DC, determined by the DM for each situation?
I considered being like that.

>Also goblins should probably get darkvision.
These ones don't really have a why.

>Wild omens should probably be limited.
Why? Do you know how the augury spell works?

> not wearing a suit made of belt and zipper

the people who unironically multiclass for armor, not the classes with spells that naturally get it

We have hardon for caster with greatsword, armor just help with that.

>but but but why not play ...
We just want to play this fantasy character, not another more efficient one.

>We have hardon for caster with greatsword, armor just help with that
So play an EK

Both of you said "caster"
Why would you suggest an EK

Initiative can be fix with feat.

Although, I don't think it's that bad. Getting one shot by DM is a red flag and you should consider your DM's life choice.

Because an EK is a caster
You're conflating "caster" with "full caster"

BM with shadow monk sounds fun

>look mom, i took magic initiate, i'm a caster now
kek

>but but but so just play an EK
Thanks user, we hadn't thought of this.

Magic initiate has casting progression?
Wew I'm on that shit now

>no but I WANT to be suboptimal - it's part of the appeal
wew

>disdains suboptimization
>suggests EK
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You realize if you took three non-caster levels you'd still get 2nd Circle spells before an EK, right

>This fantasy character, not another more efficient one.
It's like you cannot read.

The other problem is that he's not even suggesting a more efficient character, but a less capable one.

>EK
>uncompetitive
You can pick up shield and absorb elements... on a fucking fighter.
Just think that through for a moment.

But he wants to play a caster, not a martial who supplements his AC with passive protection spells.