Your PC suddenly realizes that his only point of existence is being an escapist fantasy for you as a player...

Your PC suddenly realizes that his only point of existence is being an escapist fantasy for you as a player. What does he do?

Other urls found in this thread:

fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-1/
fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-2/
fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-3/
youtube.com/watch?v=9lyKxKn_WsE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xSH667_Qk
youtu.be/Fm6CBqiY3rg
web.archive.org/web/20160415075458/http://jonx0r-draws.deviantart.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

CHIM

> Roll to seduce the God of Rape.

So my PC becomes Vivec from TES?

rape, murder, theft of shiny stuff while hoping his player isn't into doorless rooms with no toilet

Fucking /thread

>Mummy Sorceress - "But of course. Anyone would want to be just like me!"
>Warlock - "Why do I get the feeling this guy hates himself?"
>Halfling Gunslinger - "Ah don't know whether ta be flattered or put off."

And so on.

He starts being as interesting as possible, to ensure he's not abandoned into the void of non-existence by his domineering god-overseer.

My wizard
>Plane Shifts to where I live and does the "There ain't no strings on me." thing.

Continue being an escapist fantasy for me, the player.

>inb4 he reverses the situation and ASSUMES DIRECT CONTROL of you
>inb4 it's not even out of malice
>inb4 it's for your own good
>inb4 "you made me to be everything you couldn't. Now I'm returning the favor."

My Wizard would probably imagine that there's someone above me pulling the strings much like I am to him.

Plus since his entire thing is making illusions real I think he'd be most suited for coping with the idea that everything he's known is fake.

And then you go to prison for bringing your fetishes to real life

I don't understand how that has anything to do with fetishes.

CHIM

Existential crisis is my fetish.

He immediately forgets because knowing he is an escapist fantasy is not part of my escapist fantasy.

This, quads of truth.
My wizard would euthanize me on the spot.

What does CHIM mean?

fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/08/29/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-1/
fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-2/
fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-3/

TL;DR:
youtube.com/watch?v=9lyKxKn_WsE

Half vamp gnoll barbarian. "Big words make donk head hurt, him hit you till words get smaller.."

Kitsune fighter. *finishes a very tall glass of something strong* "so let me see if i get all this. I took up my fathers sword and travled the world as a mercinary because you wanted more bonus feats. But now you feel like my lack of skill points and damage is cause for rogue levels. So my every life decission is you trying to get nine tails on a kitsune and I'm the first who lasted long enough and now you don't know what you're doing with my life. Does that about sum it up?"

Shapeshifting barbarian who takes the form of a titanic wolf. ".... you play dark souls to much..."

Gnome druid. "I get it man. No worries. Some times we all just need to get away." *takes a huge hit of a fat Marley joint and passes it my way*

oWoD kitsune. "Ahh i see. Well that is kind of... freeing to know. Did you at least learn something about yourself in the prossess? Cool. Glad to help out. Now if you'll excuse me i have an entire world in which consiquence and morality mean nothing to uhh... bye."

She would probably get really mad at me for lumping a tragic backstory... but then probably feel better when she realized she was making someone happy just by existing and doing stuff.

He cuts a hole in the forth wall and then beats the shit out of me

m.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xSH667_Qk
i think this properly encapsulates the situation.

He was born in the ash among the Velothi, user Chimer, before the war with the northern men. Ayem came first to the village of the netchimen, and her shadow was that of Boethiah, who was the Prince of Plots, and things unknown and known would fold themselves around her until they were like stars or the messages of stars. Ayem took a netchiman's wife and said:

'I am the Face-Snaked Queen of the Three in One. In you is an image and a seven-syllable spell, AYEM AE SEHTI AE VEHK, which you will repeat to it until mystery comes.'

Then Ayem threw the netchiman's wife into the ocean water where dreughs took her into castles of glass and coral. They gifted the netchiman's wife with gills and milk fingers, changing her sex so that she might give birth to the image as an egg. There she stayed for seven or eight months.

Then Seht came to the netchiman's wife and said:

'I am the Clockwork King of the Three in One. In you is an egg of my brother-sister, who possesses invisible knowledge of words and swords, which you shall nurture until the Hortator comes.'

And Seht then extended his hands and multitudes of homunculi came forth, each like a glimmering rope through the water, and they raised the netchiman's wife back to the surface world and set her down on the shoals of Azura's coast. There she lay for seven or eight more months, caring for the egg-knowledge by whispering to it the Codes of Mephala and the prophecies of Veloth and even the forbidden teachings of Trinimac.

Seven Daedra came to her one night and each one gave to the egg new motions that could be achieved by certain movements of the bones. These are called the Barons of Move Like This. Then an eighth Daedroth came, and he was a Demiprince, called Fa-Nuit-Hen, or the Multiplier of Motions Known. And Fa-Nuit-Hen said:

'Whom do you wait for?'

To which the netchiman's wife said the Hortator.

'Go to the land of the Indoril in three months' time, for that is when war comes. I return now to haunt the warriors who fell and still wonder why. But first I show you this.'

Then the Barons and the Demiprince joined together into a pillar of fighting styles terrible to behold and they danced before the egg and its learning image.

'Look, little Vehk, and find the face behind the splendor of my bladed carriage, for in it is delivered the unmixed conflict path, perfect in every way. What is its number?'

It is said the number is the number of birds that can nest in an ancient tibrol tree, less three grams of honest work, but Vivec in his later years found a better one and so gave this secret to his people.

'For I have crushed a world with my left hand,' he will say, 'but in my right hand is how it could have won against me. Love is under my will only.'

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

>I've always thought that I was part of a performance, but I never would've guessed that I already had an audience.
>>So, what will you do now?
>Give them the show of their lives.

This is the first video you get on youtube should you search it. Take from that what you will.

youtu.be/Fm6CBqiY3rg

remain a good inspiration for all

continue to light up the night.

>This PC:
Probably wondering why he was made just to suffer.
>Previous PC:
Probably not too torn up about it. He already knew he was a puppet for something's amusement.

Bonus:
>Current BBEG:
"I KNEW IT"

my current pc subconsciously knows this due to the meta lore of the setting.

All she'd ask me is if Leno is waiting there on the Dark Side of the Moon like he promised. The answer is yes, but she won't like how long it will take to fill her end of it.

>Dragonborn Rogue

Very mad at me for the backstory. Probably okay with it after he realizes he'll likely get a happy ending.

>High Elf Wizard
Relieved as fuck. The fact that he might have accidentally doomed the world doesn't matter if he's just fictional.

>Half-Elf Sorcerer
He now has permission to burn even more things without worrying about morals. Happy as a clam.

Nothing. Maybe, drink more. Well, we IRL do it after such a revelation, so that's the only sane example.

> Street sammy orc: "...Meh. Could be worse. At least you're not a complete asshole. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get crunked, and plow the finest piece off ass I can find, just so I can rub in the fact that your creation gets more action than you."

He starts trying to kill me.

That only works for GMPCs.

>My Wizard would probably imagine that there's someone above me pulling the strings much like I am to him.
>imagine
Reality is an ologram.
It's simulations upon simulations all the way up and down.
Contemplate the Fractal, Add to the Fractal, Love the Fractal, Be the Fractal.
We'll be there together when and where It all collapses into simple truth.
We'll laugh like friends, kiss like lovers, hug like fathers And mothers And daughters and Sons.

She might be a little miffed at how she wasn't always strong af, but I don't see her caring too much.

>Eldritch being in search of good, non-eldritch home: "...And here i thought i'd finally found a place to call home. But, no, this land makes people just as mad as my old home..."
>dimensionally misplace old-school decker: "Wait, you seriously want a yandere wife? ...you've got good taste."
>swashbuckler on the run from her overprotective mary-sue-tier parents: "...wut? Wait, how does that even fit?"

Stop taking drugs.

>"This is how I met Tyler Durden..."

Enjoys it.

>"Okay."

It's from The Elder Scrolls lore. It's a bit meta, but it's basically an in-universe way of explaining the console in the pc versions of the games.

fpbp /thread

>Sanctioned Psyker
>"I've stared too deep into the warp"
>Gains Jaded and 30 Insanity.

"Oh THANK GOD. It's not the answer I was hoping for, but at least this solves most of my existential dilemmas. And it means that the battle against the Angels isn't unwinnable! If this is a story, and I'm a main character... that means we win in the end. Everything is going to be okay for us."
"...Right?"

He asks me for a really cool jet pack, no wait, TWO really cool jet packs!

Not possible unless I allow it.
As the player, I have full control over their thoughts, actions, and emotions.

I keep trying to respond to this, but I can't figure out if you're answering earnestly, have entirely missed the point, or are intentionally trying to respond in an unhelpful manner.

"well that's all well and good, but how does that help me find the swordsman with the lightning shaped scar across his back that fought and killed my father?"

Low wis, what can I say?

It's an honest answer. Because if the character has somehow manifested to a point where I have no control over it, then the OP's question is moot, because they are now their own entity and I have no influence over them.

Be pretty surprised that his life's been exciting enough for another fellow's escapism. "they've done pretty well keeping my life interesting" or some such sentiment. They're a chipper guy.

It's not really moot, though - I mean, I understand your argument for it, of course. Taken literally as-written, in terms of tenses - I agree that the only way the character COULD would be if you directly allowed it.

But, what if you did? What is it that you'd then either allow or direct (depending on your interpretation of how this would work) your character to react?

Likewise, if you were willing to give the question more flexibility, then you could answer as if the character is reflecting on the parts of their life -up until such time as they were free- being for the noted purpose of fantasy/escapism/etc., and then reacting to -that-, rather than taking it in the present tense.

RIP AND TEAR

If I take the question as the latter, using my latest character, and assuming she has the same personality I gave her, she would likely be very annoyed and have a mild crisis before coming to her senses and discarding the notion. Having erased approximately 26 years of her own memories already, she already has experience dealing with significant mental trauma.

But OP, you just described our reality.
You are God's escapist roleplayed character, as am I.
Wake Up.

>"If you made me, that means there's a little bit of me in you. Don't give up, kid."

If that kind of advice worked, I wouldn't need to escape through you, now would I?

In every case they start screaming at the sky demanding I stop rolling hot garbage all the time.

you know, I keep seeing the CHIM thing get talked around a lot, but even after I read in to it I don't get it well.

so in terms of elder scroll lore the entire world is just one big dream of some godlike entity, and achieving CHIM is being aware of this and being able to manipulate the dream, right? did I miss out on anything?

source? google doesn't work.

>exact opposite of me
>kind and devoted to help
probably find out how this can happen, find a way to come to me, and encourage me to do good and act on for the goodwill of other people.

or might just take me to the labs, incapacitated, to test and find out how this entire dimensional puppeteering worked on everyone. for the good of the people of course.

Probably live each day to the best and say ad hoc advice loudly. If he's someone's escape then he's going to make sure that person is happy and maybe encourage me to do the same with my reality.

Because that's the kind of character he is.

stays calm and adventures on

web.archive.org/web/20160415075458/http://jonx0r-draws.deviantart.com/

She would be angry, and hurt, and hate me for all the pain she's been through. She would also not know how to feel about herself and wonder if everything she's thinking is just more bullshit made up by me. She would then go on living wondering if good/bad things happen to her on purpose or by chance.

Well my dwarven druid is basically David Attenborough with a penchant for shapeshifting and wrecking face in melee, so he'd probably just ask if I could help him protect the local wildlife. Pragmatic kinda fella.

>you know, I keep seeing the CHIM thing get talked around a lot, but even after I read in to it I don't get it well.
In essence, CHIM is a philosophy within setting created by characters who have become aware of their existence in a videogame.

But they exist in a universe that doesn't have videogames, so they don't call it a videogame. They come up with their own religious metaphors to describe this revelation, just as real-life scholars did when they discovered things about their universe they couldn't quite comprehend.

In essence, CHIM is what game characters would believe when they finally learn the truth about their world: that it is a constructed environment for the entertainment of others.

Kek, this

Something like;

The world is dreamed by a godlike being. So are you.
> God dreams you and your thoughts
> Your mind is a part of his

When you decide to change things what actually happens is that the godlike entity dreams about you changing things.
> Dreams do not have to make sense.

So basically the entire process is a jailbreak / sandbox escape inside the mind of the creator.

But in OPs situation it's particularly easy, because OP specifies a situation where the character realizes they're the personal avatar of a universe transcending outsider.

I think the joke is that if your PC realized they are a PC, they've essentially achieved CHIM for whatever setting they live in.

>Curious, good-natured old wizard showing the first signs of crippling dementia
He'd probably be both disturbed and excited by the revelation. I figure he'd attempt to communicate with me and share his findings (despite, obviously, everyone thinking he's finally gone off the deep end)

>Spiteful goblin rogue with as many grudges as he has debts
The little bastard would probably drink himself into unconsciousness, then later invent Humans & Houses and play some boring guy living a boring life, just to fuck with me.

Why is that face so scary ?

>Human Sith - "Why would you want to escape to /my/ life?"

>Corellian Cartel Lord - "Hmm. Cool."

How do I wake up?

He'd probably try to set up some form of dynastic trade agreement, desu.

/thread

Joins me in an elaborate plot to breach the barrier between our worlds so that we may merge into a single being thereby completing our apotheosis

Let's hope he doesn't, it would end badly for everyone. Playing a post-Ragnarok type game, and my character is the new God of Knowledge. I feel like he would not be ok with knowing that. Also, mass invasion by Inevitables, clockworks, and robot vikings riding space whales is the only likely result. Assuming he doesn't just smite everyone on this plane of existence for that insult.

High doses of Psychedelic drugs.
Meditation discipline.
Random chance.
Studying how the universe REALLY works.

All paths, if followed to the very end, lead to that same place. You just need to choose one and stick with it.

Basically. I just love how the dwemer went about dealing with it.

He is completely indifferent. If some being from the beyond wills that he acts in ways he wished to anyhow, what does it matter?

It's fluffed lucid dreaming in a video game setting.

Random Chance is the best, because you don't have to work at it

Honestly that's not to far from the truth for my tzeenchan sorcerer. After all, that means he is being directly controlled by forces more powerful than the greatest of gods! Sitting across the table from him is a being who could will all of creation into submission with proper convincing of this unseen benefactor, he could rule the universe and anything else his simple minded creator could dream up.

Unfortunately for him, I'd rather he just die than achieve any of his goals. I'm straight up playing him to be a character who will inevitably die on his quest for power.

Honestly, he'd be pretty shaken up by the revelation, but not broken by it. After all the world around him is still real to him, and if he was made as a form of escapism, than the real world must be dreadful indeed. Besides, the lives dreamed up for his companions have been much harsher than his own, so he would be thankful that I've made things so easy for him and instilled him with such a powerful desire for justice.

Of course if this were to happen I'd probably compel him to write himself a note from me apologizing for using him like that and granting him his freedom. I would probably move on to another hobby as well.

>BBEG
Considering he's a prewritten character in the setting I'm using he'd probably gloat about being smarter than me, than curse me for his schemes always being undermined by my idiocy.

He's torn between anger and despair knowing I'll be ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

How exactly -did- that go down? I've never been one hundred percent clear, there.

Remember kids, random chance is just a nice way of saying traumatic trigger event.
Most people who can really see are as crazy as a bag of cats.

Explore
Build
Conquer
Discover