Hi Veeky Forums, reposting from /an/, since I've learned a lot of fascinating biology stuff here...

Hi Veeky Forums, reposting from /an/, since I've learned a lot of fascinating biology stuff here. I have a suspicion I'd like to confirm, or not. Did I just find some animal's disembodied penis?

I managed to "bruise" the middle by poking at it with a stick; bringing it to water didn't restore it, and it's noticably squishier and indented there now, like a bruised fruit. That, I think, seems to preclude this thing being part of a sex toy. Dark spots that seem like sand (or old blood?) can be seen under the surface, and compressing it squirts a little liquid clear from the flat end, likely water.

Some of this seems in line with my limited understanding of sponge tissue, but I'm surprised that it's turgid as it is without a blood supply, if is indeed a penis.

Can anyone advise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, interesting coastal area finds thread.

That's a piece of shit

probs some spawn of some kind

sea cucumber

>found a disembodied penis
>better post it on Veeky Forums

It's translucent tho.

I don't know for sure it is, I'm curious and /tgvs a good place to put stuff when you're curious.

The potential hilarity of this situation is not lost on me, though.

That's a shoggoth larva, OP.

Yeah, /k/'s the one you want to ask about animal cocks.

Veeky Forums - Todger Gurus

I'm no biologist, but isn't that a cocoon of some kind?

There's a central canal that water (?) squirted from when I compressed it.

If I'd been a little less hesitant to touch it I'd have checked the tip end for said canal.

Well, Google says it's a larva of some kind, but it could also be a sea cucumber.

Is that mucous, or is it just wet?

And do you have a ruler or measuring device of some kind? I'd like a pic with that thing and a ruler to get a better idea of scale.

Willy Wikis

fun fact: most mammal penises have a bone inside called a baculum.

It's pretty dead, whatever it is.

My fingers were cold and numb, but it didn't seem unduly slippery for the moment I flung it into a stream to rinse. No tracks in the sand near it, but a tangle of beached seaweed a few feet away, if that matters. This was all on the flats. Maybe it was left when the tide receded?

I'll go find it. Maybe it's had some time to dry out.

Also captcha's getting a little too subjective for me.

Why would you assume it's a penis? It looks nothing like a dick of any animal I've ever seen and I've seen more than my fair share of animal dicks.

If you're near the ocean that could be very important information. I'd assume it's a chunk of some sort of sea squirt or sea cucumber.

If it's not near an ocean maybe a chunk of lamprey or freshwater eel? They have a lot of predators.

I'll vote for sea cucumber, but not an expert or anything here.

One of the uncool ones.

Hello Friends. I AmFIne. THEre 8s no shoggotH,

But seriously, here it is. It's flattened out a bit since I left it, but the not-pointy end is still going strong. Hasn't fallen off the leaf after all the finagling I've done to get a decent picture, and neither has this sand, so there must indeed be some mucous involved.

Comparison in a moment.

Whoops.

Kekimus Maximus!

obligatory thread theme
youtube.com/watch?v=byDiILrNbM4

Here it is by a quarter, which is just under an inch in diameter.

I am not good at this.

Some sort of invertebrate animal. Maybe a tunicate or sea cucumber. I'm leaning towards those due to the sand--you find it at a beach? If not either of those, maybe a cocoon or chrysalis?

That quarter looks fake.

thats what the new ones look like
they all have that weird sheen

Spoke too soon about mucous, sorry. It was just stuck with wetness. Definitely not a penis.

So those dark specks are in fact sand. I had to make incisions to get to it, so whatever pores admitted it are quite well closed.

Also of note, the severed end is noticably harder and more resistant to pressure, remaining engorged while the rest becomes floppier. I suspect the thing was kept turgid until I found it by this reflex, which held the central canal closed and full of fluid.

Also, it's shrinking. It's about 2 inches long now, and smells subtly briny, nearly rubbery like dishwashing gloves. The smell is not overwhelming, but it makes itself noticed.

Lighting's terrible for the extent of my photography skills.

Was it on the leaf when you found it? If so can you remove it without damaging it?

Nah, it was on the sand, and it's tough and rubbery.

I think that all that remains is to but it open and see how far to the tip the central canal extends. I feel that'll inform me if I have an arm or a butt here.

Storing in the fridge for now unless someone else has some ideas.