MTG Modern General

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$

This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

Not copying the fucking legacy casual pasta
RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Other urls found in this thread:

danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1922198
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-05-14-ub-lobotomy/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

posting in epic bread

Upboat :3

Good Anti-tron cards when?
I'm sure there's a better version of this picture

>Nahiri 13$ on ebay
fucking rip

Anyone here play Bird Brains?

Leonin Arbiter on two into Blood Moon on three.

That doesn't really stop tron. Just mildly inconveniences them as they are casting ancient stirrings off of eggs to hard cast Karn which, because you haven't played any real threats by turn 3 yet, will end up butt fucking you. And that's if they don't draw nature's claim

ded format

Ded thred. Made too soon after the last ones slow death. Bust at least the OP wasn't shit

Modern a competitive format? At best these days it's casual competitive. Try legacy the real competitive format.

The namefag circle jerk? No thanks

Legacy is fun, but I don't like those moments where "Well didn't have T1 FoW against [x unfair deck], so I lose".

I think its clear the only way to save modern is to unban Deathrite Shaman.

>We expect you to already know how to play.
Speak for yourself. I expect nothing, and am always satisfied.

Nah, if we wanted to save modern and while also making jund the best deck we'd just ban tron.

>save modern
You mean 'switch to Frontier'?

I actually kinda like the namefagging in the Legacy thread

Is the reason MTG players have so much trouble with card sleeves breaking because they mash shuffle their cards? What is the point of spending money on premium card sleeves just to go and mash shuffle your cards? I don't see how you would have problems with sleeves like fantasy flight sleeves breaking if you are doing a shuffle like over hand shuffling that doesn't smash the sides of your cards like mash shuffling does.

how do i take naya zoo into the more competitive scene.
i've got to deal with lantern control, robots, various other tier 1-2 decks.

Lol, this just happened to me. I drew out and lost actually :D

just buy your fucking anime sleeves you autist, you came into the thread asking for what sleeves to buy, people told you dragonshields are the best. Noone's stopping you from buying whatever you want

Zoo is just a decent aggro deck so you'll always do fine, what's your list?

Modern has those moments just as well, f not more, considering there's no brainstorm to sculpt your hand

>I didn't have the removal versus infect
>I didn't have gravehate versus dredge
>he had the turn 3 Karn

>your fucking anime sleeves you autist
What the fuck are you going on about you sperg?

>he mash shuffles his cards
Look at the retard.

i bought an infect deck and dude sent it to me in what i think is kmc sleeves so i tried to re sleeve the deck in dragon shields but the cards dont fit nice double sleeved so i had to put the old sleeves back on , what do>?

Learn how to double sleeve

Go fuck yourself

yeah we should just burn this thread and start again tomorrow

>over hand shuffling
Good luck with your DQ

Bumpfrom the grave

Can jund reasonably beat any deck that plays counter spells? I feel like every time I sit down across from some blue control meme deck I am at such a disadvantage

How are the modern goblin decks? I really like the super aggro decks. I love Zoo but the meta is SUPER shit for it.

Jund beats Delver and Twin, when that was around, extremely easy. You're just playing it wrong.

I'm still salty about only being able to hit wheel of sun and moon for like 3 months before dredge made RIP mandatory
Any other spicy tech for bogles?

ban inkmoth pls

Since the printing of bedlam reveler, rug delver laughs at jund

Since the printing of Thoughtseize, black decks have tended to laugh at just about everything else.

That's still a very easy match up for Jund.

Holy fuck, more art like OP's?

Then you get bent over like a bitch by every other deck.

>gets fucked by discard baby

I'm sure you play this matchup all the time and would know

has anyone here tried playing Magic with friends via Skype/video call?

does it work?

Rekt

Thoughtseize is widely considered the most powerful black spell ever printed. Do you even understand why?

I understand why but it's not oppressive or game ruining. Maybe play better decks if losing one card from your opener blows you out

Losing one card, losing your curve, losing the best card against your opponent, and losing your hidden information.

most powerful for modern

Oh no. Go play frontier

No.

>two Spellskite away from my Eldrazi Tron

Wish me luck guys, money isn't hard to come by.

What does that even mean? That I should play one miserable format instead of another miserable format?

It means to play frontier so we don't have to associate with someone who can't handle TS

Can't handle? You think I scoop to it? I literally just said that it's a powerful card, which it factually is.

I've played against RUG delver once with Jund. The other guy didn't read the part where he had to discard his hand on Bedlam Reveller.

Lmao what a nerd

I'm sorry then. These threads are usually filled to the brim with people begging for bans on the discard spells

>Eldrazi
>3-5 cost, allowing temple+dork to get them to playable cost t2, high card value but less than tron

>Tron
>T3, starts getting more individual card value than eldrazi by t3 dropping hard to answer threats

What's the difference other than cutting normal Tron wincons for eldrazi, some land for temple, and making the deck worse?

>Any other spicy tech for bogles

A noose

>Legacy is fun, but I don't like those moments where "Well didn't have T1 FoW against [x unfair deck], so I lose".

Literally never played legacy, but it's okay, keep pretending like you know anything :^)

It works, but it's tough and can get annoying with having to look up cards or show opponents your hand. I'd recommend Cockatrice/XMage/MTGO for play, and then just having skype on the side to talk.

>Literally never played legacy, but it's okay, keep pretending like you know anything :^)
Not even him but cmon dude. I just played a match against goblins and he died with one mountain out. I was on ANT

Granted, goblins are ass, but still, it happens

Chalice and nut dropping 2 reality smashers in a turn

Would it be safe to print this into modern?

Fun fact, 1 wurmcoil > 2 reality smashers

Fun fact, you can't cast Wurmcoil as easily as you can cast Eldrazi.

>tutor anything you're playing 4 of
>at Instant speed
>for 3 mana
>in Creatures: the Tappening
not happening

Not if your opponent has path

I meant in the situation where a wurmcoil is against 2 reality smashers, wurmcoil wins

You can if you have tron, which if you're playing a Tron deck you will be hunting for for the first few turns and have a weaker payoff than ordinary Tron wincons

I know this is modern general, which I play, but I had pauper questions.

My friends want me to get into it and I have enough stuff laying around I probably could. How does grixis delver or any other 3 color deck work without fetches or shocks?

You're right, but most decks aren't going to let you assemble it the way you want. Endbringer and Ulamog win against Wurmcoil

>unban eye of ugin
>Ban Eldrazi temple

Yes/no?

Eye is miles better than Temple, no.

They don't really. People play monoblue delver though

Nah, Tron and eldrazi decks are already T1

2 color?
Ub or Ur control/tempo whatever seems fun, but I don't want to get tied into a linear aggro plan like Izzet Blitz. If I wanted linear aggro I'd play more modern.

Fuck off

>Thoughtseize is widely considered the most powerful black spell ever printed.
No.

danbooru.donmai.us/posts/1922198

As written, no. It would need to be 3 different cards.

That's not Contract from Below

I'm not dedicated enough to make a gigantic guide to black spells more powerful than Thoughtseize, I figured just posting one of them would prove the point.

>Not even him but cmon dude. I just played a match against goblins and he died with one mountain out. I was on ANT
>Granted, goblins are ass, but still, it happens

Yeah, Goblins are weak, and T1 kills in general are just really rare. Not saying it doesn't happen, but to imply that it's common is doing a disservice to the format. The current top decks of the format are all non-T1 kill decks.

Anyway, we'll save that for another thread

I'd argue Yawgmoth's Will is even better than Tutor

>Thoughtseize the most powerful black spell.
Thoughtseize isn't even the most powerful discard spell. Hymn? Mind Twist?

Yawgmoth's Will is easily the best black card ever.

That art is savage

I have played against UBr delver in modern, though it played more like a control deck and less like your typical tempo-oriented delver deck (like mono blue delver pauper plays). Red for bolt and terminate, blue and black for counters, removal, and card draw. it primarily delver, angler, and maybe a couple of mulldrifters as creatures

but why? No reason to ban temple - eldrazi decks are nowhere close to being too strong.

Has anyone ever tried other fuse cards like Far//Away or Breaking//Entering in a Brain in the Jar deck? It seems like the deck just wins off flying 1/1s but Far//Away seems like it could be really good

>B&E

Y'all laughed at my Grisselbrian list, told me it was no better than Grishoalbrand, but it's okay I forgive.

Feel free to look at this and laugh at me. Or give comments/suggestions. I don't know.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-05-14-ub-lobotomy/

just fucking stop already
jesus fucking christ

I play rug delver on the reg. Bedlam reveller isn't even in my 75, or anyone else that plays rug delver I know that's respectable. Huntmaster of the fells is really good against Jund though.

Learn to play a real format.

Overall, decent/10. Don't listen to shitheads telling you to fuck off.

There was a mill list that got popular of MTGO a little while back, and this echos it in some ways I like.

Some suggestions if I may; practice a shit ton. Look at similar decklists, bounce ideas off, and again just grind out the hours in the deck and you should get an idea of how to tune/improve it.

Imho crab is the best card in mill and a playset is excellent. I like the superfluous amount of Extirpate, but then again I play combo mostly so you'll have to determine what the proper number is.
Rune Snag over Manaleak I would only try if I had selfmill tech (mesmeric orb + manic scribe package) otherwise Manaleak seems better. Broken Ambitions could be a nice spicy counterspell.
Mill will get there, it's taken a bit of a backseat as of late due to WotC prioritizing limited, but cards like Manic Scribe give me a tiny glimmer of hope that Wizards didn't forget about mill.

>no singleton Arlin as m'lady huntmaster
It's like you don't want every card type available for your goyfs.

Sounds like you and your pals need to catch the fuck up on sideboard tech

Wizards should just make a non-standard, modern add on set that is esentially modern masters 2.5. it's to allow them to make some older cards that are too strong for standard but not for modern to be legal like Counterspell, as well as print many format staples in a single set. They could also use the space to print "fixed" versions of cards they consider too good for the format. For example, a sorcery speed brainstorm or preordain. Or a stoneforge mystic that can't cheese into play equipment for such a low cost.

>sorcery speed preordain

Or a FoW that refunds the mana of the countered spell. So it stops combo decks cold, but doesn't cause a tempo swing.

Wizards won't give legacy FoW 5-8

You spergs have any ideas on wether rancor is worth playing in UG infect? I use canopy cover as some tech, what do you think?

It's an okay 1 of.

I'm already being a tryhard with tarfire.
It's shit. It's proven shit at this point by people a lot better than you.

So new Tezzeret isn't good enough for Modern right

Not even close