Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Imperial Edition

Also, looking to make a game for /pfg/ pls answer below.
strawpoll.me/11905158
strawpoll.me/11905768

>THIS IS IMPORTANT!
If you want build advice make sure to say what 3pp you can use, if any.
>THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/JTj1yEmU

Avowed Playtest: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Malefex Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1W3LrE8WyIxxYRr8d9dHsWioeUk_-HZaSMqVWRnzc9Fc/edit?usp=sharing
Legendary Kineticists II Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/11_w1o5dSef2tzu2GDLnJKElHY3uyETzuzFHDAjI6P6k/edit?usp=sharing

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50531794/#50532999
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50572776/#50573058
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw red dragon burns down your city then forces you to throw a parade to celebrate it burning down the city
Dragons are a bunch of pieces of shit

Find a copy of Dragons of Faerun.

That's pretty much what happened when Tchazzar returned to his kingdom at the end of the Dracorage.

So. Did people follow through with that 'roll for a RotJR character and talk about them' thing?

it was ditched after the first one when everyone when "that's pretty alright" and immediately got bored.
Some dude rolled a party out of the app list. Nothing came from that yet.

>paizo sets up a scenario in ap that is actually dire and players feel real tension due to it
>ap also says "but if they get in real trouble, use this massively powerful dmpc to help them"
Wow

Which scenario is that?

Consider the following campaign premise: A hexcrawl/colonialism game except magic is dangerous and the expedition discovers a mecha forge. PCs rely on robutts and ancient tech for scaling more than magic users/items.

Shattered Star
End of book 4

Which tech rules are you using?

>d20 Star Wars RPG's Wounds were equal to CON

>Pathfinder's Wounds are equal to CON x2

Is this because PF players are pussies?

What now

PF Wounds and Vigor doesn't really work at all anyway, so who cares?

Star Wars people don't get hurt, everyone just misses.

Pathfinder people do get hurt, but are less affected by it.

I'm considering homebrew alteration of DSP's Arcforge playtest (divorcing mechs from class features) combined with stingy use of Paizo's tech rules. And more homebrew on top of that.

Help me out, guys.

The bbeg of my next campaign is an artificer with the goal of making an entire race of clockwork people to serve his needs and begin his ascension to godhood. I plan on having at least one of them show up halfway through to set the idea on my players that he would have the ability to basically build a new life, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I want them to be a playable race, but I'm not sure how to go about it. My first two options were applying the clockwork template to humans and hoping for the best. Alternatively, I could just change around the Android race rules a bit and call it a day. I want this to be something my players genuinely consider making, so I want it to look good, any ideas?

There's a Kobold Quarterly article with something like this for Pathfinder.

If I can find it later this morning, I'll post it.

How do I learn to be good at this game? I have no idea how to learn how all the talents interract

Okay. 9-hour holiday shift done. Catching up with feedback done. Just pushed another update to the avowed. This one with a table of contents as well as some bug fixes.

How are you doing, all?

Here's hoping that wasn't the GM.

I feel that's what plenty of GMs would actually do--either that or BS a way for them not to have a TPK so you can continue the campaign.

Just seems kinda disillusioning that they'd actually put that in the AP, not totally a bad design choice. But even then, gotta remember that their first priority is to keep the reader buying the books.

Alright, awesome

I'm finishing up a 60 hour week in a few hours.

I get two days of rest before working five, 12 hour days in a row.

Maybe next year, I'll have enough time to run a game.

I'm pretty fine. Although I do have to ask, what happened to all the DSP folk? Now that I got more time to keep up with the threads I haven't seen them in weeks.

So my DM wants to run us through a Tucker's Kobolds oneshot.

Basically we have to fight against an army of intelligent, organized, disciplined goblins under the leadership of a HobGob Hitler

DSP not allowed and neither are full casters.
What should I roll, /pfg/?

Roll whatever Goblin Slayer is, he's your best bet against the gob reich.

Something with AoE of any sort. What level are you starting at? Barb's can get some shouts that shake and panic large groups, no? Stuff like that if you want to be the damage. Otherwise, Rogue with hella high perception and disable device and acrobatics for weaving around the noncombat portions and clearing the way for the party.

GS is a Ranger in heavy armor. Put everything into favored enemy: goblin

Bard

Alright /pfg/, I'm about to go to bed, but before I do I want to ask a question: how do I build a character who's a turbo-masochist that gets off to combat? What races and class would fit a high-Con "HIT ME HERE" character who fights harder the more hits they they take? Everything else is just kind of incidental, though having things to do outside of that is probably a good idea.

Assume 1pp and DSP. Gestalt is optional. There's preference for TWF and maximum edge, as well as dexfaggotry, and hopefully not falling back to stalker again.

>Goblin Slayer anime anounced

There's a Barb archetype that gets angrier the fewer his HP.

There's a Sorc bloodline that blasts harder when he sacrifices his hitpoints

Goblin Slayer is a fighter. He doesn't have really pass for a ranger.

Are you on drugs? He's a slayer.

Oof, that sucks. I've only got about 45ish myself this week. Hope you manage to find the time to run a game, though.

Can't really say right now; mostly just people are busy, life is hectic, and I'll leave it at that.

What about FFS? ;-;

For paizo-only games, I really like Kenku Thug URogues. Get Blade of Mercy and Enforcer, and you've got three primary natural attacks that each proc sneak attack, debilitating injury, autosicken, and free demoralize (with extra synergy from Thug).

If you count FFS as part of DSP, Old One avowed has the ability to explode and heal back up when hit with enough damage in a single round.

There isn't enough love for GS in Veeky Forums despite the fact that the manga veers closer to tabletop fantasy gaming territory than KonoSuba

It makes sense since it is one great power trespassing on anothers turf
But it does eat the "oh shit" value of it

does GS have waifus?
KonoSuba wins then.

tfw no games for two weeks

how do you cope /pfg/?

You want a Dynamancer. They gain Momentum whenever they deal or take damage, and taking damage gives them a scaling AC and Damage bonus for a round.

They're from Gonzo 2.

Embrace the inevitable and surrender to despair is how.

We might play on new years day
In total hangover after eve

there's plenty of love for it considering it has barely started up and gets brought up every other day

>Start reading Goblin Slayer
>"Giant eyes with their unhallowed names"
>Unhallowed
>Read: Copyrighted

Haaaaaaaaah.

As far as I've read so far, like half the waifus have been murdered by goblins.

>He doesn't fit as a Ranger outside of Favored Enemy
>Rangers don't even get Heavy Armor.
>Wasn't there a rangery Fighter archetype?
>Vengeful Hunter
>Yeahboi.wav
>No Favored Enemy
>Also loses Heavy Armor
>Also loses Weapon Training completely.

Goddamnit.

I tell you what though, he COULD be a Vigilante. Use the Consumed archetype from the jollybooks. He's not whoever he was before, he's just The Goblin Slayer.

>Focused Hunter Archetype
>Favored Terrain, not Enemy

So close to perfection. Ah well.

Pretty sure there's a trait or something that gives you a minor bonus vs goblins.

Why is /pfg/ so whiny and demanding why when it comes to chargen?

/pfg/ demands that games be high point buy, level 3 gestalt games with all Spheres and DSP allowed, and like half a dozen free feats. Because all characters should have no weaknesses and be retardedly strong and flexible?

/pfg/ then wanks to theorycrafting about the awesome builds you can make with that generous chargen. But then, when someone else comes along and uses DSP and Spheres to completely bust the level 3 gestalt balance, /pfg/ throws a tantrum and whines about overpowered characters, even when /pfg/ was theorycrafting gestalt builds earlier. Big fucking surprise, DSP + Spheres is stupid strong at its level 3-8 sweet spot.

What's the obsession with gestalt + high powered chargen in general?

As with every time someone says 'why does /pfg/ do X, but then does Y'

It's almost like /pfg/ isn't just one person.

Also as for the first part, hanging out here and being vocal enough to have input on them means that an individual is likely well versed in 1pp stuff and is branching out into 3pp for better/different material.

It's a lot of power at their fingertips/claws/tentacles/hooves brony. People want it and think they deserve it after all the work they put in.

But no GM would ever allow it for long.

This is my favourite /pfg/ meme.

1. were not one entity. i personally dont mind playing without any of that shit.

2. its mostly because the baseline of optimizing here makes it so certain people on pfg are going to create no weakness characters even if its only level one with a 20 point buy and 1pp.

making a level 3 campaign with these bonuses make it so pretty much any builds decently viable so people can focus more on playing the character they want to play rather than worry about whether theyre gonna have fun or not.

because lemme tell you playing with a level 1 wizard with INT to every skill that matters, cheesing a craft build and having ~5,000 gp when you just want to play a regular martial isn't very fun.

>a level 1 wizard with INT to every skill that matters, cheesing a craft build and having ~5,000 gp when you just want to play a regular martial isn't very fun.

Level 1 wizards are really weak, and they can't even take Craft Wondrous Item.

What are you smoking, pal?

Even with that said, figuring out a way to make something really powerful from as early as level 1 is always gratifying in a way starting out at later levels will never give.

>making a level 3 campaign with these bonuses make it so pretty much any builds decently viable

It also makes the upper power ceiling insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanely high for level 3 chars.

If DSP is allowed, then you just make a level 1 initiator who ALL DAY murders every enemy better than a Paizo martial ever could.

>Mapping for my next session of Iron Gods
>One of the monsters in the way is a thing called a Ghelarn, an alien aberration from another world that survived in the biodome of the crashed ship
>Cool gimmick monster, 30 ft tremorsense, trap you in sticky goo then eat you up like a Sarlacc pit monster
>10 dex, combat reflexes

Fuck it, I'm just giving it Weapon Focus (Tentacles).

>1. were not one entity. i personally dont mind playing without any of that shit.

Hah, yeah right.

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50531794/#50532999

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/50572776/#50573058

Both of these guys got bitched out because "reeeeee no PoW/no SoP/no full casters/no full manifesters, even though other 3pp is allowed."

Why is /pfg/ such turboautists about having such a retard strong power level?

That's why people get bent out of shape when someone takes advantage of it to do that.

Some people see an opportunity to experiment with weird and wonderful builds that normally you just can't do without being completely inadequate involving things like swashbucklers or rogues or fighters, taking inefficient or just plain bad archetypes or feats and still doing okay.

And then others just see a chance to make their numbers even bigger.

The first party gets upset at the second party for this.

>Both of these guys

You know, when people say /pfg/ isn't just one person, that doesn't make it just TWO people either, dumbass.

>Some people see an opportunity to experiment with weird and wonderful builds that normally you just can't do without being completely inadequate involving things like swashbucklers or rogues or fighters, taking inefficient or just plain bad archetypes or feats and still doing okay.

These guys would be better served by a gestalt game that DIDN'T go "lol, use all the DSP and Spheres you want!"

It's not two guys bitching.

It's two guys getting bitched at by THE REST of /pfg/. Look at that ton of responses.

If someone bitches about you not letting them be OP in a GESTALT game, then just ignore them.

On a different topic; How cute are Barbarians allowed to be?

They work differently. In PF, being at half wounds is equivalent to being at 0 HP.

>level 1 wizards are weak

this meme again

color spray invalidates 90% of the shit youre gonna fight level one

i dont do crafting so i couldnt tell you how it worked but i know that he had half on items via crafting it.

i dont find making martials from level one 1pp very fun personally mostly because theyre the biggest recipients of "rusty dagger shanktown" since they gotta be the ones in melee range checking all the shit.

plus youre mainly restricted to just hitting people with a big stick.

yeah, yeah. but it makes the floor a lot higher too.

we have shit like living grimoire and spiked chain users in hv and rotjr because the painful unviability of their builds are supplemented with all of the extra shit.

No no no.

These two guys were separate GMs banning options like full casters, initiators, etc.

The rest of /pfg/ bitched them out because "Reeeeeee I wanna be an initiator/a full caster!"

Well pfg is dsp fanclub because people fantasise about playing not-dnd fantasy...
With dnd ruleset still as base

>color spray invalidates 90% of the shit youre gonna fight level one

1. You have to get close. Go make that concentration check, boyo.
2. They can make their saves anyway. Anyone who survives will gank the wizard.
3. Doesn't work against anything immune to mind-affecting, like skeletons and zombies and shit.
4. Party unfriendly.
5. Spell slots are limited as fuck.

It's certainly less effective than sending in the PoW guy to murder everyone ALL DAY.

>i dont do crafting so i couldnt tell you how it worked but i know that he had half on items via crafting it.
Horseshit, wizards can't even have Craft Wondrous Item at level 1 or 2.

How good are Color Spray/Grease/Sleep at level 1 really?

Don't wizards have few spell slots and take a whole round to cast Sleep?

>/pfg/ demands that games be high point buy, level 3 gestalt games with all Spheres and DSP allowed, and like half a dozen free feats.

Low point buy nerfs all the weakest classes while doing almost nothing to hurt wizards and clerics. And many people do not, in fact, care much for rusty dagger shanktown, so level 3 is a reasonable starting point.

Everything else you said is just flat-out bullshit. Although I wish I could find a GM who allows psionics without playing with autists from /pfg/ or having to beg for it.

i made good use of it even in an eberron campaign - and eberron is like 90% undead and constructs which are immune to most of that shit

>Low point buy nerfs all the weakest classes while doing almost nothing to hurt wizards and clerics.

Up until, like, 25 point buy, yeah.

But then you have retards like who want 32 point buy gestalt, which is completely fucking unnecessary.

So basically, you just spammed Grease at level 1?

Big deal, an initiator could've been one shotting like two CR 1s at a time, maybe even CR 2s with the right stance.

Does anyone actually follow the rules regarding cure potions having to be shoved down the throat of a creature for it to take effect? I mean, it's essentially a concoction that draws from the realm of positive energy, so ruling that it HAS to go down what your equivalent of a throat is seems a bit silly, magic-wise.

The only reason I ask is because recently my group was in a bit of a pickle with undead and one character wanted to throw a potion of Cure Light at the zombo to deal it Positive Energy damage. Our DM ended up ruling against it but apparently by RAW you have to swallow it to have it do anything.

hence the 90%

they can make their saves is irrelevant, POW guys can just miss all their strikes by that logic.

if you aim properly being party unfriendly doesn't really matter.

plus you can still pop shots with a crossbow or acid splash if you want.

this might be personal preference but ill take the dude who can stun an entire mob and end 2-3 encounters singlehandedly rather than some dude who can cut everyone down one by one.

and i don't know what he did. i legitimately don't. but i'm not a liar and can try to dig up his sheet if you want.

32 point buy outside of D&D, which starts off your point buy so that you go up from 8 instead of 10, is completely absurd and anyone who suggests it should be mocked heartily.

Potions are to be drunk.

OILS are applied to the outside of something. So if you threw an OIL of Cure Light Wounds at a zombo, it would work.

>they can make their saves is irrelevant, POW guys can just miss all their strikes by that logic.

PoW guys' strikes are more reliable, actually.

>plus you can still pop shots with a crossbow or acid splash if you want.
You mean doing jack shit.

>this might be personal preference but ill take the dude who can stun an entire mob and end 2-3 encounters singlehandedly rather than some dude who can cut everyone down one by one.
Bitch, please, go look at the initiator in a damage stance popping three enemies in one turn with Minute Hand + Scything Strike/Tidal Blade.

>Color spray

I know that sleep and color spray are popular as spells that are OP, but let's be honest, they're save or die still. Most of the time, there's gonna be a 30-20% chance your opponent's gonna save at the bare minimum, and we all know that means 100% of the time when it's actually time to play because everyone has shit rolls. Know what else kills a creature at level 1? A raging barbarian with 24 strength hitting at +9 for 2d6+10 damage.

At level 1, a wizard is weak as fuck if his nuke fails, which is somewhat likely. Much more likely than his chances of evading that barbarian's swing.

Does /pfg/ play society at all?

forever DM syndrome is killing me guys
help
i want to play my qt witchwolf magus that just wants to study leylines

Way to waste a potion when your characters should just be packing around holy water.

i was never talking about wizards vs initiators.

i was talking about a 1PP campaign where i tried to play a martial. hence no initiating, so i'm not sure why that's in the conversation.

the thing is that whilst the Barbarian probably has shit for social skills, knowledges and all that other shit. the wizard also has usefulness out of combat, particularly if they also use that INT to CHA stuff as well.

/pfg/, how do you avoid getting lost in the weeds of character creation and end up not liking the final character you put together? Especially for games that don't start at the very low end I feel like I spend all my time in character creation making something that's mechanically fun and then I have trouble getting into the actual character when it comes time to play.

How would you make an interesting high-level pathfinder character and still feel connected enough to them that you can roleplay as that character?

DM also ruled that those in the immediate area got healed 1 HP with the splash so it wasn't all bad. That said, we had no idea we'd run into undead so it's not like we had time or resources to prepare.

Is that like the DnD play groups? How do you look them up, 'cause this dude/tte looks like they could use it.

Always pack holy water, alchemist fire, and rope.

and a cold iron dagger for the fey mishaps that may occur.

Apply to a game on roll20 my dude

I don't know about anyone else here, but personally I work off of some kind of gimmick that my character has and base his personality and life around that. For instance, one character I'm playing for my group's Vengeance campaign is a loony Cleric of Urgathoea that my DM has likened to Robby Rotten in personality, and I built his backstory around the fact that he's an Undead Lord, saying that his personal undead minion is his brother.

Another option is to go the "build a pop fiction character" route, which I got help with a few days back. I essentially wanted to build Sanji from One Piece, and in doing so created a build based around what I think would be fitting for that character.

Now granted, both of these are low level character creations, but the same general idea still applies. Just try not to overthink things and let the creativity within you flow, and whatever you think sticks, just roll with it.

i don't like strangers user
they bully me for my stupid accent

>i was talking about a 1PP campaign where i tried to play a martial. hence no initiating, so i'm not sure why that's in the conversation.

If it's 1pp, then there's no way the wizard was crafting much at level 1, let alone earn 5k gp.

Seriously, 2 GP is gonna save you a lot of headaches when it comes to killing that CR 1/2 fey with DR 5/Cold Iron.

I keep reminding this lesson to my players.

>accent
Who said you need to talk to anyone. Find a game that let's you use text.
The dealing with strangers is something you might need to suck up if no one you know wants to GM for the group.

>text
people.... do this? how do you even keep track
like how do you know when people are doing stuff in character or out of character
and wouldn't combat turns take forever

it was something with stacking gold gen traits, ruling an ion stone as a "piece of jewelry" for some sort of other shit

i dont remember the specifics dude. i dont even remember if it was wondrous items or not, nor did i specify it.

Color Spray ended encounters, full stop.

The standard practice is to have different rooms. One in character, one out.

Also, combat CAN potentially take longer, but it can also take less since there's less tangents.

What CAN take longer is RPing. Not for the time it takes, but the amount. A lot of people (myself included) find it much easier to RP over text, being able to express themselves in a MUCH wider variety of ways and as different characters. So for those people, text frees them to do a lot more RPing.

My 3-person party has spent entire SESSIONS dicking about and RPing.

Once you're used to it, text can go real fast.

Of course, this depends on everyone knowing what they are doing. The more abilities and maps you use, the longer it takes.

>like how do you know when people are doing stuff in character or out of character
Generally you either mark the OOC stuff in some way (like putting it in parenthesis, for instance) or use a separate channel for OOC.

>and wouldn't combat turns take forever
Only if you have indecisive or inattentive players, and even then it's not THAT bad.

i guess i'm just confused as to where you'd split chat
only IC stuff in like, roll20 chat, and OOC in something else?

and what about the DM, do they tell people it's their turn, or do you have to look at the turn counter?

i've RP'd in MMOs before, but this just seems confusing

Well, we personally didn't use Roll20's chat for anything but rolling. It's too cluttered for actual words of any length and widening it chews up map real-estate. We used IRC for the actual chatrooms.

And Roll20 does have a turn-order tracker, so you generally keep an eye on that. And pay attention to the turn order and who's doing what basically.

Initiative doesn't change for the most part, so when Throdgar goes, and you know you're after Throdgar, then you know when you're going don'tcha?