Give me your top ten rpgs. Any criteria

Give me your top ten rpgs. Any criteria.

don't be pussies, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R9mhBsLydfg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I haven't even played that many. I'll rank what I have though.

1. D&D 3.5 - My intro to rpgs, so it's special to me. Plus I like the forgotten realms setting.

2 V:tM - very interesting both setting-wise, meta plot wise, and mechanically. My only non d20 system.

3 Star Wars d20 - familiar enough to be accessible but fresh enough to be interesting. Plus EU Star Wars.

4 DnD 5e - familiar enough to be accessible but fresh enough to be interesting. Minus EU Star Wars.

5 Radiance - d20 system some guy made with his free time. Mostly D&D with some neat twists on the rules and a setting with lots of races and optional technology levels.

6 Pathfinder - fixed some issues of 3.5, but feat bloat, trap options, and rampant modifiers still abound. Much, much less charming without the nostalgia glasses and with a new setting. Plus it's all my fucking group plays.

FATE Core

I don't need anything else because it can do everything great (which is why I like it)

In no particular order,

#1: Burning Wheel. One of the best combinations of decision-ridden gameplay trees and character heavy focus of any game system I've played. Intricate and interesting character creation because lifepaths give necessary character direction without the restrictiveness of classes or the decision paralysis of point buy character creation. Manages to account for a very wide range of character progression makes it satisfying to play long term. Lots of player skill involved with conflict resolution.

#2: Legends of the Wulin. Basically all of the above but in the context of a kickass wuxia themed game. Manages to be rules-heavy where none of the rules feel stupid or pointless. It's so fucking good.

#3: Tenra Banshou Zero. Very novel 1-shot focused game that plays more like theatre than conventional p&p. Pretty cool setting with very cool character concepts/classes. The Kiai economy is actually the singular best meta currency economy that has ever been devised.

#4: Maid RPG. Captures the "random chaos" style of game so amazingly well that no other game can quite replace it for times where I just want to have some dumb fun. It's fucking great

Though on the list, these are all a solid tier lower than those mentioned above

#5: Monsters and Other Childish Things. ORE is a pretty good system but it's really the context of kids with crazy dangerous monster friends that got me invested in it. Very fun to design relationships between your kid and his monster

#6: D&D 4e. The only good version of D&D; captures everything that is good about the series (rigorous and interesting team based combat) with very little of the bad (Such as terrible intra-party balance because of the existence of shit classes and god classes)

#7: In Nomine. One of the best celestial settings I've ever read and has so many goofy and cool ideas that I'd love to play it sometime. Too bad it's a dead system

Once more, the below mentioned games are a solid tier below the above mentioned #5-7 games

#8: Dungeon World. Very good system for learning how to GM, and as long as the GM rules things very consistently, it can feel very enjoyable to play.

#9: Godbound. An interesting idea that probably would work if there was actually a GM out there that could handle all the shit a Pantheon of PCs can do.

#10: Mutants and Masterminds. A rigorous and easily grasped point buy system whose mechanics support a pretty fun and light hearted sort of comic book lethality. Only thing I don't like about it is decision paralysis invited by all the shit you can do. If more people were familiar with ORE than d20, I'd probably put Wild Talents here instead.

1. GURPS
2. GURPS
3. GURPS
4. GURPS
5. GURPS
6.GURPS
7.GURPS
8.GURPS
9.GURPS
10.Shadowrun 4e

thank you sexy whore

I haven't played 10, but:

Pathfinder
(First TTRPG I've ever played, been playing for almost 6 years, would enjoy trying something new, but my group isn't as interested)

Broken World
(Haven't played much, but had a blast. I'm a fan of the comic it's based on, I'm not sure how it holds up for non fans.)

Paranoia
(Only DMed once, pretty fun)

Everyone is John
(It counts right?)

That's it...

>would enjoy trying something new, but my group isn't as interested

Find a new group, a pathfinder only group sounds like a fucking nightmare

> Haven't Played GURPs
> Haven't Played D&D (Any Edition)

Everyone is John counts, it's pretty fun. You should try and find another group, friend. One system is stale tier.

My Nigger.

This is bait.

In no particular order:

Shadowrun 4e
Black Crusade
Legend of the Five Rings 4e
Edge of the Empire
Mage the Awakening 2e
Traveller (Mongoose)
Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e
Vampire the Masquerade
Mutants and Masterminds 3e
Rogue Motherfucking Trader

Since I'm only drawing from systems I've played I can give about 7 ones that I still enjoy after playing/GMing, but there are a lot of other systems that I've played and didn't like that aren't on the list.

1.Unknown Armies. It's everything I wanted out of World of Darkness without the stupid vampires, werewolves, and two-bit nihilism. The way your sanity meters determine your stats in 3rd edition makes me love it even more.

2.Traveller. No other system has character creation this fun.

3.Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd edition. Normally I hate systems with classes, but the job system in it is super fun.

4.Engine Heart. It's fun to run as a GM, and stats up robots in a way where no other system feels as authentic as the experience Engine Heart offers.

5.Storytelling system. Really easy to quickly stat out a character, and with so many common elements between the various games under it, it takes no time to try a completely different gameline.

6.Delta Green. Super easy to play despite the subject matter behind it being pretty combat heavy.

7.Donjon. A mess that's almost impossible to run, and often not fun for the players unless you're a master GM, but will always love just how out there the mechanics are.

No real order

10. Big Eyes Small Mouth/Tri Stat DX- not even gonna pretend this is actually good, but it was one my earlier RPGs and I have very fond memories of it. And it's basically my system for when I just wanna do fucking super powers.
9. Simple D6- Elegant one page system. Nice for a quick session or tutorial game. I like to use it for Mecha stuff too.
8. Pace - Fate's predecessor. I prefer it because it's completely diceless and I like only having traits and the ebb of flows of points.
7. Call of Cthulhu- Do I really have to explain this?
6. Witch Quest - The most relaxing and feel good RPG I've ever played.
5. Ribbon Drive - Building the story around music is a wonderful idea. Emphasizes RPGs as a social gathering. To me at least.
4. World of Darkrness - This is where it all started for me. And my favorite campaign I've ever done was in Promethean the Created.
3. Monster Hearts - Really uses PbTA to the fullest and makes what feels like the perfect drama rpg.
2. Maid RPG - get rid of the weeb flavor and it's pretty great way to do a comedy RPG.
1. The Farm- youtube.com/watch?v=R9mhBsLydfg

D&D in order of preference:
D&D B/X, 5E, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

In no particular order:

TMNT/After the Bomb, Rifts, Gamma World 2nd Ed, DCC, Mutant Epoch, Runequest, MERP, WFRP,

#1. GURPS 4th
#2. Fate Accelerated
#3. Shadowrun 4th.
#4. Legend of Five Rings
#5. Star Wars Age of Rebellion (and it's siblings)
#6. Fuzion (Bubblegum Crisis, Mekton etc.)
#7. GURPS 3rd.
#8. Dread (indie horror with jenga)
#9. Iron Claw
# 10. 3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars

Many gamers would be hard-pressed to even name 10 RPGs, but here goes:

1. Talislanta
2. Cyberpunk 2020
3. Shadowrun
4. Lamentations of the Flame Princess
5. D&D 5E
6. Changeling the Lost
7. Call of Cthulhu
8. After the Bomb
9. Rifts
10. Planescape

Of the ones I have played that I really enjoyed, the below. I've played others but for the most part didn't enjoy myself (such as Shadowrun) or they were completely replaced (such as D&D1e). Below is the list of games you can always get me to join in on or run.

1) D&D 5e
2) D&D 2e
3) Ars Magica
4) Champions
5) Cyberpunk 2020

1. GURPS 4th
2. D&D 5e
3. GURPS 3rd
4. Pathfinder
5. D&D 3.5
6. D&D 4e

Only ones I've played.

1 My homebrew shit
2 Within the Ring of Fire
3 5e
4 Fate

Haven't been able to sit down and play as many systems as I'd like to.

1. Dark Heresy 2e
2. Shadow of the Demon Lord
3. Delta Green
4. A Quiet Year
5. Dogs in the Vinyard
6. Fate
7. Burning Wheel
8. Dungeons&Dragons, 5e
9. /k/omrade GM's Magical Journey
10. Apocalypse World

You made me think for a second, OP. Have a cute.

1) GURPS
2) Don't Rest Your Head
3) D&D 4e

The rest, in no particular order:
Mutants & Masterminds; DtD40k7e; Tri-Stat; Godbound; Legend of the Wulin; Everyone is John; and Ryuutama.

need more

GURPS
Pathfinder
Shadowrun 4e
Jackie Chan

SHIT

>Call of Cthulu
>D&D 5e
>Everyone is John
>MAID
>Mouse Guard
>Paranoia
>Rogue Trader
>Shadowrun 2e
>Traveler
>World Wide Wrestling

I HAVE A QUESTION

My friends and I are interested in playing a tabletop RPG. None of us have ever played before, player or GM. I am the most creative of the bunch, and have the largest grasp on TT games despite never playing one, so I will be GMing.

Is Call of Cthulhu a good choice for us to start with. One player and I are more interested in Lovecraft than fantasy settings, and the rest are indifferent.

No particular order

>Ryuutama
>Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
>Final Fantasy XII
>Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
>SaGa Frontier
>Dragon Quest V
>Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
>Xenosage Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
>Wizardry III
>Pokemon Black/White 2 (same game, really)

1. Pendragon.
Teaches new characters good habits in playing their characters.
While I consider its strength in how it makes players play their characters some feel it take away too much from them.
Best played with the Great Pendragon Campaign.
2. Warhammer (Fantasy 2e and Dark Heresy1st edition).
I enjoy grim darkness.
3. Call of Cthulhu.
A must play IMO, but it is on third place because it is best played in short intense bursts, as in one-shots or shorter campaigns.
4-7. Void space for other RPGs.
8. Stars without Numbers.
Decent GM tools but that is all I took away from it.
9. G.U.R.P.S
Probably because I'm not a fan of the GM who ran it but it didn't click with me at all.
10. D&D (3.5)
Got me into playing but I'm happy to stay away from it.

>ten

-Nechronica

-Maid

-Shadowrun 4e

D&D 2e
WOD (VtM or WtO)

If it isn't one of those then I'm up for whatever. Those are the two I can recycle twenty years of material from to have a campaign ready in fifteen minutes. Anything else would take prep, so is on equal footing. Not even sure they're my favorites. They're just my ultra-mega comfort-level.

Alphabetical order:

AD&D 2e
Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game
Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG
Golden Sky Stories
GURPS
Heroes & Other Worlds
Microlite20
Mutants & Masterminds 2e
Terra Primate
The Petal Hack

>Alphabetical order

>Petal Hack, The
ftfy

My autism has feelings too, user.

>fixed some issues of 3.5
Like?

1. Barbarians of Lemuria
2. Abandon All Hope
3. Mouseguard/Burning Wheel
4. Mage the Ascension
5. Engineheart
6. CP2020
7. Dark Heresy
8. VtM/R
9. CoC
10. 3.X/PF

Rules should be as light as possible, with a focus on narrative and resolution using as few moving parts as possible. Sometimes you want something crunchy though, and I get that. Shit like Shadowrun (who's rules are actually incomplete and unusable as written) are unforgivable and only exist because nothing has come up in the market to challenge them adequately.
Pleb
Play more games.

If the actual rulebook overwhelm you at first, just start with either the current quick start rules or with Cthulhu Dark.

If you're nervous about running your own adventure just yet, there's tons of modules to practice with. In particular, I'd been liking the free "no security" stuff Hebanon Games put out. Should be easy to google. These aren't explicitly tied to the mythos or a particular game system, but they're clearly made with Call of Cthulhu in mind.

Call of Cthulhu was what got me started and it's not really that crunchy. So I'd say it's a good start if it's something the players are interested in.