Which spell is more evil, Charm Person or Detect Thoughts?

Which spell is more evil, Charm Person or Detect Thoughts?

They're both fine with prior, fully informed consent, so who cares?

I don't think that's what those spells are for.

Also I'm going to say charm person. Dignity>Privacy but only just barely.

One violates free will while the other violates privacy.

By most societies the former is worse.

Why would anyone consent to Charm Person?

I can concoct an extreme scenario where someone might agree to have their thoughts detected, but only someone who was already your friend would agree to allow you to cast a spell that made them think you were their friend, making the spell have no real effect.

I had a character use Charm Person as a date-rape drug in his backstory. It was extra-consensual.

Charm Person doesn't make someone do anything beyond their own decisions, it just alters the truth a little.

Impersonating as someone's friend is quite different from robbing someone of free will.

Guys, do you think charm person just gives the target an orgasm to illicit an emphatic response?

>you have to attend a family get together and you and your bitch of a sister in law decide to throw everyone's expectations regarding your constant bickering in their faces by means of a charm person spell
>You are on a really long cart trip with some guy and you are getting on each others nerves, so to make the trip seem like less of a nightmare, he consents to a charm person spell
>You and your wizard brother still hate each other but you agree to use a charm spell to both stay on your best behaviour at your mother's funeral
>paladin tries to go undercover with some criminal scum, consents to use of a spell to allow him to overcome his distaste for said criminal scum to better pull off their undercover mission
>corporate training seminar
>prostitution

These are all incredibly depressing.

Charm Person is an inherently good spell. It makes people friends.
The only evil thing is what happens afterwards, if the caster is a scumbag who takes advantage of his friends.

A breach of privacy is less important than a breach of trust.

Take a look at it this way - if someone casts Detect Thoughts on me, I can still resist. I can knock myself out before thinking about something compromising or something.
With Charm Person, you are under a literal compulsion to trust someone and believe he will do no wrong to you.

Neither spell itself is evil, it is their usage what would make them evil.

Are you a mafioso?

>giving alignments to objects and tools

Which is more evil, screwdrivers or wrenches?

Charm person, you're lowering someone's inhibitions and probably taking away their actual consent depending on what you're making them do

Charm Person actively alters the subjects mind in a non-permanent but intimate and invasive way.

Detect Thoughts on the other hand is merely a complete breach of privacy at the deepest possible level.

Charm Person is flat out mind control and is every bit as evil as that implies. Altering someone's mind violates their free will, even if you don't exploit them in any way.

Screwdrivers, piercing wounds can cause more internal damage than blunt weapons.

Fireball

Is it "more evil" to solve a conflict by means of Charm Person as opposed to violence?

This is why all of my encounters go Charm Person, then violence anyway. No moral questions about what's more evil if I go with the most evil.

Depends on whether or not you're a naturally likable person or not.

If you're just speeding up the process of making friends, it's less evil. If you're an unlikable cunt, than it's pure evil.

Charm person. It removes agency, and bodily autonomy. Detect thoughts is just a violation of privacy whereas Charm is more egregious in the depths of its violations.

You and your enemy have fallen in a pit trap together. If you stand on his shoulders, you can climb out and get the rope to help him. Of course, he has no reason to believe you won't leave him to die once you get out, and vice versa. So you allow him to cast Charm Person on you, then you both escape.
It's a nice and easy way to solve prisoner's dilemma, basically. I can see consensual Charm Person widely used for business contracts, courtroom proceedings and other similar things.