MTG frontier General

Hey M/tg/

So I am looking at MTG frontier,

Mostly looking at what are the chase rares that one should be picking up, to get into this format.

Frontier General as well I suppose.

What about a format where every card printed after M15 is legal- including supplementary sets?

Then Eternal and Modern Masters just fuck the whole thing

If WOTC makes Frontier official. Would you rather it be from M15 or Origins?

They should just bring back extended (yes I know everyone hated it) but it offers everything frontier does without the issues it brings.
I'm still not quite sure about frontier, but my lgs is looking to jump into it, so I'm building a cheap deck centered around Starfield of Nyx and Sigil of the empty throne. It's basically a control deck but everything is an enchantment.

Origins would make it literally just standard+ right now, but would have the added benefit of removing fetches from the meta.
Regardless, it isn't really something that can be made as the format is too old for such a radical change to be made.

I want to know, who is so fucking bored of every single established sanctioned format out there including Limited that they need Frontier to alleviate that boredom.

I can't imagine the majority of Magic players have played Legacy or Modern to death.

>Mostly looking at what are the chase rares that one should be picking up, to get into this format.
Really just look up top standard decks from the legal sets. Rhino, CoCo, anything with Delve, Fetches, Battlelands, Copter, Lili, FlipJace, etc
Origins. While I'd be sad that I wouldn't be able to run my CoCos, I don't think fetches should be in.
When Modern came out, it had over 30 sets. The equivalent today would becoming out with a format with everything from Alara-onward. WotC doesn't want another format that infect/jund can clean house in.
Yes, Frontier would be small in comparison, even if it came out in a few years, and even if it included M15+KTKblock. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be interesting. I'm going to start buying up staples on the cheap when they rotate out of standard. At the very least I'm going to get a handful of kitchen table decks.

so your building a marshmallow deck? nice, i ran uw budget marshmallow tutelage in standard a year ago. fairly consistent but damn did matches take awhile, but they were fun. gonna run that card too now.

>cheap alternative to standard
>fetch lands are still unbanned

So, why do I play this format over modern? Modern is actually established, so there isn't a risk of it suddenly failing.

>who is so fucking bored of every single established sanctioned format
A lot of people. And given that WotC is slowing their Modern support, people will want a new non-rotating format.
>including Limited
Limited is terrible if you don't like the set's mechanics, aesthetics or flavor. It's also not something you can just pick up a game of without boosters and at least 8 people.
>I can't imagine the majority of Magic players have played Legacy or Modern to death.
A lot of players see the price to buy into those formats as a barrier to entry. Yes, Frontier prices would rise, but the way they overprint sets these days would keep the supply up to match demand.
Not only money though. Those formats feel solved and unbrewable to a lot of players.
>>fetch lands are still unbanned
KTK fetches are still cheap. There are no Shocks for them to grab anyway, so they're not nearly as good.
>So, why do I play this format over modern?
Because brewing it will be relatively cheap.

Do we really want coco the format?
Don't worry however, this will go the way of tiny leaders have fun kids.
Also got baby jace for sale 100$ obo ;)

frontier =/= tiny leaders. tiny leader tried to be a mini commander that failed due to commanders and cards that break the format.

frontier would be better compared to modern. it started out similar and look at it now. also banlist is a thing that can help the format if anything is too rampant.

Red player here. What red deck is the best in frontier right now, rdw goblins, atarka Red, or something else?

Much like it was in standard, Atarka red is better in most situations and with fetchlands the splash is basically free+ fuels delve.

>oh hey, maybe because it's not as big as modern I can play my mono-green stompy again
>Theros is not included.
I just want to use my aspects of hydras and boon satyrs.

>Le "legacy prices are a barrier to entry" meme
Then play a mono-colored deck. Legacy Burn probably costs less than most standard decks, coming in at around $300 or so. (150 for 4x goblin guide, 50 for 4x eidolon, 25 for 4x chain lightning, the rest is pretty cheap)
Mono-white hatebears is also pretty cheap and has zero RL cards - and it gets cheaper if you play ghost quarter over rishaden port. The worst price tags in that deck are the wastelands (still cost half what they did before EMA came out) and the sfm package (mainly jitte).

Those are two tier 1/1.5 decks that will practically never fall too much farther than that, and the best thing is once you have your deck, it won't rotate and is very unlikely to suddenly get banned. People whine that legacy is a FTK format and nothing fun ever happens, but when you actually play you'll find that those turn 1 and 2 kills are rare and the decks that rely on them are usually fragile enough to pick apart once you know how.

Dead format
/Thread

>frontier would be better compared to modern.
Except for the fact that frontier doesn't have a fraction of the cool or fun cards that you can play in modern so it loses most of the appeal. Aside from that you have all these shitbabbies crying about fetch lands being too powerful while revving up their coco decks. How this format isn't a meme is a mystery to me

Going to a frontier night this Wednesday and could not be more stoked to play. I think this format is definitely going to just be 4color+meme rhino, but I'm ok with that.
Went 1-2 against g/b delirium and 2-0 against tutelage yesterday. Not sure what to expect on the night of the event tho.

>Then play a mono-colored deck. Legacy Burn probably costs less than most standard decks, coming in at around $300 or so.
I'm not going to put down $300 on a deck for a format that gets no local support. Fucking Pauper is more popular in my area.
>frontier doesn't have a fraction of the cool or fun cards that you can play in modern so it loses most of the appeal
Most of the appeal of modern is the powerlevel sweet spot, not the size of the card pool. Most decks are extremely tuned with staples, and only feature a handful of flex spots for "cool or fun cards". Frontier will also have its staples, but they will be fresh staples.
>Aside from that you have all these shitbabbies crying about fetch lands being too powerful while revving up their coco decks.
Fetches are not currently too powerful but they limit design space of dual lands.
CoCo is likely going to be the format's Birthing Pod, getting a couple years to power a midrange/combo deck, then get a ban.

*Magic's Worst Format
>ftfy

>Unplayable wraths
>Overpriced sorcery speed removal
>No combo
>Useless countermagic
>Memerhino and KTK-BFZ standard dominating the meta
>Standardbabies complaining about fetches
>Hey guys surely in the future it will be better!
Frontier in a nutshell

I'm trying to update an old Standard deck I made from Khans/BFZ which I barely played because fuck standard, I might need some help to upgrade it. It's a RUG Tempo deck. I added like 1 card from Kaladesh and onward, so I'm pretty lost

Creatures
Bounding Krasis X4
Rattleclaw Mystic X4
Harbinger of the Tides x3
Sidisi's Faithful X3
Elvish Visionary X2
Shaman of the Great Hunt x2
Surrak Dragonclaw X2

Instant/Sorcs
Anticipate X2
Brutal Expulsion X2
Disdainful Stroke X2
Harnessed Lightnight X2
Temur Charm X2
Trap Essence X2
Fiery Impulse X1
Negate X1

Others
Kiora, Master of the Depths X2
Temur Ascendency

Lands
Cinder glade X2
Forest X3
Frontier Bivouac X1
Islands X4
Lumbering falls X1
Mountain X3
Shivan Reef X3
Wooded Foothills X2
Yamivaya Coast X3

Sideboard:
Mizzium Meddler X1
Anticipate X2
Brutal Expulsion X2
Disdainful Stroke X2
Fiery Impulse X1
Horribly Awry x2
Negate X3
Clutch of Currents X2

My main problems are: It was my first actual constructed deck with a sideboard, and I feel like I can't build a manabase worth a fuck. also, I kinda lost track of good creatures that came out recently. Kiora and Ascendency are also pretty bad cards I wouldn't have a problem removing for something better, as well as Shaman of the great Hunt. Should I just add White and go with stuff like Spell Queller too?

So, what you think Veeky Forums?

i dont get the hate. its a new format. if it flops it flops. if it becomes popular enough we have a new way to play magic. no one is forcing you to play frontier.

There are only 24 hours in a day. Most people (assuming they need to earn money to buy cards, as well as sleep) can only play magic for a few hours a day. Standard turn out sucks at my FNM because people choose to work/eat/sleep/study through Standard and play magic during Modern.

Frontier could mean the death of either of the current loved/hated formats.

>Unplayable wraths
Wrong
>Overpriced sorcery speed removal
Overpriced I'll give you, but there's plenty of instant speed stuff.
>No combo
Rally is one of the biggest decks in the format.
>Useless countermagic
Only marginally worse than modern on this front. Control and tempo strategies are still viable.
>Memerhino and KTK-BFZ standard dominating the meta
High powered sets see more play, news at 11. Plenty of kaladesh cards are seeing play too.
>Standardbabies complaining about fetches
Fetches are not good for the health of the format because they encourage homogeneous goodstuff builds instead of synergy focused decks.

>Frontier could mean the death of either of the current loved/hated formats.
There are more formats than modern and standard, and there sure as shit are room for even more. That's pure fearmongering.

Not trying to fear monger, just explaining the rational for others fears. I'm actually (trying) to brew a frontier deck right now.

Reminder that frontier is a scam to sell recently rotated cards

This

All the MTG youtubers getting spammed around the same time to make a video makes it pretty obvious.

thats being over dramatic a little, and i. you play modern and it sounds like your playgroup is established as that, so frontier doesn't really effect you. there is more than enough room for another format for a tcg thats been around over two decades. and time is a personal issue. i dont play at stores every week or every month really, i play mostly with friends. i have many stores close enough that play different formats on different days other than friday, so i have options if im too busy one day.

i myself have been playing commander mostly for years with a few budget standard decks and drafts here and there. many people have been on and off with standard because their favorite deck rotates out, and frontier will cost little to nothing to get into for them. ive been needing a break from commander and standard doesnt interest me atm, so im building a budget modern and frontier deck that i have most of what i need already.

Origins on, because then Magic Duels can take the place of MTGO

What are your brewing?

Frontier...something...

I haven't got anything that is both viable and fun (IMHO) to play yet. Currently looking at Mardu Vampires.

ITT:
a bunch of faggots can't get over losing fetchlands thoughtseize, dank rhino, coco, baby jace, and ugin.

literally everything else from frontier is shit tier

This is also the only MtG format general up except for legacy and EDH.

thanks for keeping the thread bumped, idiot.

Choose one or all:

1) don't want to commit to standard anymore (After already committing to standard for about a year or so)

2) don't want to commit to buying singles that maintain their value (or even proxying said singles) to play eternal formats

3) don't want to put Rhino in their bulk rare binder

4) don't want to play EDH anymore because it takes too long

What happened to Pauper and TiNyLeAdErZ?
[Spoiler]Who in this thread has been smart enough to sell off their rhinos and coco's to Frontier players before this meme format dies to 2017 power creep?[/spoiler]

CoCo is a modern playable card and unless it gets banned will only go up in value over time just like birthing pod because any cheap creature with utility they print in the future can find its way into a CoCo deck. Rhino I agree with you completely through.

Have you tried atarka red or sphinxs tutelage?

Fair enough

ahahah what is this trash jesus christ
are standard players really this desperate to generate some value out of the shit WotC has been shoveling down their throats for the last few years?

>KTK fetches are still cheap
they wont be for long especially if frontier actually catches on

>atarka red
>Become Immense and Temur Battle Rage
Nice.

>sphinxs tutelage
I'm not really a blue player, but thanks for the suggestion.

my problem with frontier is that it makes standard and modern more expensive while basically reviving the worst most cancerous standard decks that have existed in years (khans standard caused a massive drop in standard players that likely wont recover for at least another 2-3 years)

i am also almost 97% certain its a scam to sell cards from the recent blocks that lost a huge amount of valve after they rotated so people can recoup their loses

CoCo has a home in modern though

I would play this format if they added Mirage, Tempest, Invasion, Odyssey, and Kamigawa blocks to it.

Why do you want another format--besides standard--in which all of the cards are ugly, impotent, unfun to cast, and from bad sets?

I guess if you only own cards from recent sets it makes sense... Especially considering how not worth diving into Modern turned out to be.

>I guess if you only own cards from recent sets it makes sense
you hit the nail on the head, most people ive talk to who care about frontier are either pretty new to magic or are coming back recently after a long break

>Kamigawa
>ugly, unfun
But muh ninjutsu...

>Especially considering how not worth diving into Modern turned out to be.
Do you mean financially or it just isn't as fun as other formats?

I've seen a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon due to it not allowing "unfair" decks like Infect, Burn and Tron along with "uninteractive" cards like Thoughtseize, which is why Theros isn't allowed in, because Thoughtseize's reprinting was a mistake.

How the fuck is thoughtsieze uniteractive? Goddamit I hate standard babies, all of them are fucking worthless and need to be purged.

I've flat out had someone tell me that Thoughtseize is too powerful because it strips a card "for nothing."

infect and burn (unless its naya burn) isnt even good in modern. tron is easily dealt with as well for most top decks. also thoughtseize is as interactive as it gets

>Thoughtseize's reprinting was a mistake
Now I know I'm in the minority here, but I'd actually rather have cards that are good be printed in newer sets.

That's what the masterpiece series is for user, did you forget that? Can't have eternal playables in standard, it has to be the casual hugbox format and cards like Thoughtseize ruin that.

Thoughtsieze Did Nothing Wrong.

Hymn reprint when????

>eternal cards ruin standard
>says the guy who probably defends delirium, CoCo, and meme rhino

Oh baby tell them to reprint me up some Cabal Therapies while they're at it.

Now that is a card that is powerful and fun to cast.

They clearly do when we can't even get simple shit like bolt, counterspell, wrath/damnation because they're "too powerful." Fuck even one cost mana dorks are too much now.

>Goddamit I hate standard babies
>casual hugbox format
Am I the only one who enjoys playing both standard and modern on Veeky Forums?

>How the fuck is thoughtsieze uniteractive?
"Interactive" tends to be used as a buzzword for "doesn't involve turning Timmy-Bait creatures sideways".

>bolt, counterspell, wrath/damnation because they're "too powerful."
They limit the design space that makes Standard unique from Modern. All those cards should be reprinted on a yearly basis, just not in the standard blocks.

look up the Temur Flash deck on mtggoldfish
it's top 8'd the past few things

>Hymn reprint when????
You just got it in EMA, and in standard in the form of Whispers.
>Am I the only one who enjoys playing both standard and modern on Veeky Forums?
No, I enjoy both. I'm excited for Frontier because of the benefits it brings from both Modern and Standard.

That is NOT hymn.

Yes I'm mad.

Hymn being in a standard/modern legal set is a horrible idea. Whispers was a fantastic way to balance it.

>Fetches are not good for the health of the format because they encourage homogeneous goodstuff builds instead of synergy focused decks.
You can't be serious

Look at 4C BFZ standard. Plus there isn't a fraction of the policing for greedy mana bases that even Modern has.

>I'm not going to put down $300 on a deck for a format that gets no local support
Then drum up support. Proxy up a few decks for people to fuck around with, get their feet wet. See if the shop is willing to try it.

Legacy, like most things, looks scary as fuck until you actually try to play it, and then you wonder how many other fun things you passed up because of dumb reasons.

So is the cutoff the border change, or m15, or Origins?
Because I want a format where Theros is allowed, or at the very least Tarkir isn't.

Cut-off point is Border change, which means it's M15

>standard is so shit they made a new format
>meta will most likely look basically the same
????

I know it can be fun. I've played a modern deck against legacy belcher once, and it was hilarious how the thing played. I don't have the time to drum up a legacy scene. I don't spend very much time at my LGSs as it is.

Getting back to the point:
>>Le "legacy prices are a barrier to entry" meme
The most expensive decks in Standard/Frontier are currently comparable in price to the cheapest legacy decks. If your budget is constant, format notwithstanding, people are going to opt for a format that they can brew multiple decks in. While I don't hate Burn, and Hatebears is interesting to me, I wouldn't want to buy into Legacy if I could only run one of those decks (being able to shitbrew 3-4 decks in Frontier with the same budget).
Also, Frontier decks can be scraped together from old standard decks that people still have halfway put together, whereas Modern/Legacy decks need to be built from scratch. That makes it an easier format to pick up.

>No combo

Are we really calling RUG Pummeler not a combo deck? Or U/G mill combo?

>Frontier decks can be scraped together from old standard decks that people still have halfway put together,
This hits the nail on the head. If you were playing standard for a while, and can transition even part of your old collection to even a halfway decent modern deck, I'd argue the format's pretty good right now. The problem is people who were into standard more recently (which is a big number, if Wizards' growth claims are to be believed) will have more difficulty making that transition, and with a much larger barrier to entry, modern looks much worse. Frontier sounds like Tiny Leaders level of memery though; it'll raise prices on a few cards for vendors, and will die out in a year or so. It's not really much of a 'solution'.

He's not wrong. You clearly weren't playing Standard for Khans/Origins/BFZ if you think fetches belong in this format.

>I want to know, who is so fucking bored of every single established sanctioned format out there including Limited that they need Frontier to alleviate that boredom.
I have yet to hear a legacy player say he'd rather play frontier because he's bored of legacy.

for now it's M15, when the pool thickens up we expect M15 and Khans to disappear from the official Frontier lineup, right now people are just trying to find support to play since the Japs jumped the gun and started stirring shit up

I think a lot of the push for Frontier is probably coming from the influx of new players from the Theros/Khans era, who want to be able to continue to play their old decks. It's most likely predominantly newer players.

>I have yet to hear a legacy player say he'd rather play frontier because he's bored of legacy.
I could say the same of modern. Again, it's probably tiny leaders all over again. As soon as the format starts getting seriously competitive, people will abandon it as the 'format' reveals just how limited it really is in terms of good decks.

>Frontier sounds like Tiny Leaders level of memery though
Not even close. Leaders tried to capitalize on the already niche market of commander players. Modern and (especially) Standard players can both transition easily into Frontier.
>it'll raise prices on a few cards for vendors
Prices will be inflated. That is the way it works.
>and will die out in a year or so.
You cannot predict this.
>It's not really much of a 'solution'.
It's not meant to be. New formats do not have to solve all of their predecessors' problems in order to be a success. There is no solution to the problems that the secondary market presents.

Sorry, my first post was kind of leaking hostility from another thread. I said what I meant a lot more cleanly here . It's not as bad as tiny leaders, and it is addressing a legitimate desire on the part of the community, but I think the format is a lot less open than it feels right now, and once people start to realize that it'll die down considerably. I can see a time when frontier becomes a thing, but I think the card pool just isn't deep enough to support a balanced metagame yet.

>I can see a time when frontier becomes a thing, but I think the card pool just isn't deep enough to support a balanced metagame yet.
I agree completely. I'd like them to wait until at least Q4 2017, when BFZ and SOI rotate out of standard, for them to try to make it happen. As it is, the meta would undoubtedly be Rhino vs Delerium for a while, depending on the ban state of Cruise.

Thalia is a solid means of policing greedy bases, especially in a format with no bolt. She's no Bloodmoon+GhostQuarter+TectEdge, sure but she doesn't have to be. I could see her in plenty of maindecks just to handle 4C Rhinos.
But yeah, fetches are going to be a problem for midrange homogenization.

Anybody have any spicy brews in the works? I'm currently thinking about:
Descent of the Dragons Tokenpump
Coco Pummeler
Thopters n Copters
Tempo Horrors
Metallurgic Cruise
Assault Formation + Permeating Mass

I was thinking about Descent of the dragon in Tarkir, with Dragon Tempest for a good finisher.

>Coco Pummeler
This sounds fun as shit considering you have access to things like Become Immense and Temur Battle Rage.

I could see Pummeler filling a similar role to infect with the pump. I'm definitely excited to get the play of hitting two pummelers with Coco on opponent's EoT while I have Become Immense in hand. And yeah, Battle Rage is definitely going to be a powerhouse in a few of my decks.
Seems good. Might opt for thopters on the mid part of the curve. Pia, Pia&Kirin, Hangarback, Virtuoso, Engineer, Spy Network.