You are in charge of making a new cardgame. Would you make it a physical or digital cardgame?

You are in charge of making a new cardgame. Would you make it a physical or digital cardgame?

Other urls found in this thread:

hideyoshi.deviantart.com/art/Tank-Platform-Exnilo-441480218
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Physical, so I can lace them with anthrax and get rid of you autistic card fags forever.

Probably physical, but with keeping digital implementations in mind.

Physical is a lot easier to demo. The only problem is it's a lot harder to sell/produce, and it has to compete with FFG stuff and MtG.

Leaving the option of virtual open for until after some physical success should let me recoup any losses I have/increase the profits if I got really lucky.

Came here to post this.

Although I have met some fairly decent MTG players in the past their extermination is a sad but worth price to pay for the extinction of the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd.

same as
I actually started to at one point. never finished making it though.

For me here's the problem with cardgames that try to do both: you have different collections if you implement two systems.

It makes players obliged to make a choice and they can't attend physical events if they are playing online or vice versa, assuming they won't be spending money to get the same collections.

How do you even work around that?

LCG formula (instead of CCG), you get a code you can redeem to get the online version for free for the sets/expansions you have.

Okay, but what for trading then? Imagine a player would trade IRL card x for card y. How do you work your way around to make it so the system knows you have now card y instead of card x?

But I guess that, reading your post, your idea is more like proposing the players all the cards of an expansion for a fixed price, right?

Yeah, no trading.

Online you could do the card collecting stuff for free players, but offline you just buy the sets (which come with copies of every card in the set), no real point in trading things away.

but how do you get money to sustain it though? Seems like you need a lot of luck marketing wise for your system to work in the first place because how all cardgames make money is by selling boosters that players want for specific cards.

Except, you know, LCGs like Netrunner.

If your game can't stand on its own without an exploitive business model, it's not worth publishing, MtG/YGO already got the cardboard crack market locked down anyway.

Physical if based on existing deck (4-suit 52 card, or Tarot deck). Digital if creating a game from zero.

>You are in charge of making a new cardgame.
I would kill myself to avoid unleashing such evils upon the world.

>physical or digital

Neither. It will be fully mental.

Both. Physical cards are excellent for the long-time playerbase and help keep LGS alive, as well as giving collectors something tangible to collect.

Digital version for the causal/on-the-go players or players with no real space for cards. This keeps potential new blood cycling continually, and since the overhead for digital is usually lesser in the long run, helps with sustainability of the game.

With each physical booster pack and structure deck is a one-shot QR code or some other code that can be scanned into an app or handheld game to give you that pack/deck's cards in your digital version of the game. If you buy packs online, you get print-out coupons for the physical packs, letting a player that wants to invest in both get both at a much cheaper rate than he would've if he'd just bought them separately.

The main downside I see is that this primarily benefits the physical player's wallet, but the digital player's collection. Something about this feels off but I'm not sure what.

Two things:

>1) If I wanted to make money, I'd make the game both digital and physical with the "option" to buy exclusive online only content, as well as exclusive physical only content. In order to be competitive, you'd need to have an extensive quantity of both, and I'd also sell "power-ups" that gave you significant static upgrades for a defined time duration, that cannot be used in competitive play. Things like better luck on nut-draws or free mulligans. I'd also go the whole microtransactions route and fill it full of edgy bullshit and trendy cute nonsense to rape the wallets of parents world wide, along with cosmetic upgrades for every single card, and a "leaderboard" that tracks "achievements".

>2) If I wanted the game to be good, I'd make it exclusively physical, with an integrated digital platform where you could use the cards you physically purchased online. No, you wouldn't be able to buy digital cards, but by playing online, you can get special promos and discount coupons that you can take to your flgs to redeem for physical cardboard, or unique promos. The core-game would be cost effective, but the fancy alternate art cards would be korean mmo levels of impossible to get, and therefore more valuable, though functionally the same.

How do you handle trading?

Physical hands down.
I'd also like to put more emphasis on quality over quantity, I don't play any TCGs anymore but I hear about new cards and editions all the time, and the emphasis on buying endless boosters and it looks pretty shitty.

Did that. It was physical. Unfortunately it died before market due to internal bullshit.

I don't. Player handle trading. 0 Trades for Digital product, and Physical product would be traded anyway.

This will eventually mean that the digital collection and physical collection are different, but that's not really the distributor's problem.

But that's what keeps making the game interesting. If you didn't release new content then the game would be " resolved " after a while and since you're committed to physical release you can't alter cards to spice the game up. After a while people will quit the game because they will have seen what your game has to offer and will bitch about " wasted potential "

Oh shit user. Mind presenting us the game? Do you count of ever trying to release it again?

Unfortunately, due to what happened, I no longer have any control over the assets, despite being the creative mind behind it all. We were in the art and printing stage when it all collapsed. You can see one of the art pieces here: hideyoshi.deviantart.com/art/Tank-Platform-Exnilo-441480218

I hope to one day recreate it and publish it myself, yes. Let my situation be a lesson to you: never go into business with money-hungry family, you'll just get screwed.

>never go into business with money-hungry family
Fucking never go into business with family unless YOU are the one with the law degree.

I mean, you're likely to get screwed in business a lot before you manage to get a winner, but with family it seems the rate is a hundredfold.

Was my first time doing so and I can now agree completely with you. He had the experience I needed to get it off the ground but looking back I'd never do it again. You'd think parents wouldn't screw you. You'd be wrong.

Shame too, we demo'd at GenCon even and got a bunch of positive feedback. It was almost guaranteed to be a commercial success (we contacted industry experts for consults) and greed fucking killed it.

Both. Each card has a qr code you can use to unlock it in your app.
You can then use the App to play online of the cards to play in person with your friends.
You can also but cards online, but they still come in randomized little decks, And obviously then you don't get the physical card.
Basic kind of game would be very much MTG like, with lotsa incentives to make new decks, collect particular cards etc, except I think a scientific/scifi spin.

QR code. Each single card has it's own.
When you trade you just scan your new card And the other player receives a mail that says "please click to confirm you traded this card with this guy"

Physical, 2 player, draft-centered, sold like a boardgame.

Physical cards that change digitally

>Integrity and scruples
Physical

>MMMMMMMONEEEEEEEEY!
Digital