/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: fuck tripfags edition

>Latest News
Paladin UA is out! dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/paladin-sacred-oaths/
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Monks
sgiz.mobi/s3/a6ca24df7196

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/5eg/'s fucking awesome tool (made by an user)
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/

Previous thread: What is the most interesting locale your party has visited?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s66g-FFGksI
vocaroo.com/i/s0KKbUs5V52v
vocaroo.com/i/s0bo1UU7cQjY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>being this desperate for attention

youtube.com/watch?v=s66g-FFGksI

>constantly says he only makes threads because no one else will
>Has tried twice to make this thread while the older one was not on page 10.

Sage.

How is Path of the Ancients barbarian?

anyone want a vocaroo? name the topic

no, gtfo

you suuuuuuuure?

necromancers

Pick your favorite death metal song and replace the lyrics with a reading of the barbarian's class features

vocaroo.com/i/s0KKbUs5V52v

Daily reminder that plate armor is more period-specific than any type of firearm.
You have the right to exclude guns but you don't have a historical excuse.

>Gods of trickery — such as Tymora, Beshaba, the Traveler, Garl Glittergold, and Loki — are mischief-makers and instigators who stand as a constant challenge to the accepted order among both gods and mortals. They’re patrons of thieves, scoundrels, gamblers, rebels, and liberators. Their clerics are a disruptive force in the world, puncturing pride, mocking tyrants, stealing from the rich, freeing captives, and flouting hollow traditions. They prefer subterfuge, pranks, deception, and theft rather than direct confrontation.

I was really surprised to see that the Oath of Trickery is another oathbreaker Paladin. I felt like there was a potential for an unconventional Paladin that just happens to revere a Trickery deity.

Like he's still bound to an oath and his plan isn't to make everyone besides him miserable. They've made a point to specify that Trickery clerics aren't evil themselves. So why not extend the effort to Paladins?

Granted, I don't understand what an Oath of Trickery would do differently than a Cleric of Trickey. Can you?

You actually did it, you absolute madman/10
Made my day, thanks

This is amazing.

REMINDER:
>Hide Goblins threads
>Ignore Goblins posts
>Do not reply to Goblins
FUCK THE TRIP

Okay, get serious now, user. Recite "Ah! Elbereth Giltoniel" with some Green Day music in the background. Pretend you're Billy Joe.

If I was Goblins I would use the trip.

I'd ilter him, but he keeps making the threads so I'm being blackmailed into not doing it

It's not the Oath of Trickery, it's Treachery. Although I guess most of the spells and ability could easily be refluffed as belonging to a paladin of Trickery.

it'd probably need to be tuned down a tad beforehand though

Ok, so I'll post this here because I still want some criticism on it. Does it look good? And fun?

8 INT wizards, 10 kobolds vs level 20 fighter, 4e was pretty good, 8 CHA sorcerers, diamond pickaxes, necromancy isn't inherently evil

makes me hungry

You forgot beastiality druids.

>necromancy isn't inherently evil
i can't believe they're still going at it.
such stamina takes impressive autisticity.

KOBOLD DRAGON HUNTING PARTY
Bugbearmont

I think my biggest issue is that I don't see why a Trickster God would want heavily armoured crusaders. They're not exactly subtle.

It's Treachery, not Trickery. But there's still no reason it can't be a proper oath.
Tenets of Treachery:
1. Honor No Debts. Put yourself ahead of all others. Don't sacrifice your own well-being just to be a dick, but if nothing is lost, you might as well be a dick.
2. Sow Distrust Among Your Enemies. When your enemies mistrust each other, they cannot cooperate effectively. Also, your god finds it hilarious.
3. Have No Loyalty. Allies are useful but should not find you reliable. If at any point someone places their implicit trust you in, you must betray it. Teach your allies you cannot be relied upon.
4. Oppose High Levels Of Cooperation. Organized society is anathema to your beliefs. You must never hold office, or vote, or receive government welfare. You must voice your opposition to these at any opportunity.

Literally only two of these are memes, you dip. The rest assume your personal opinion.

It looks like a heavily-armored brute but in fact its 200 kobolds armed with sporks

I played a Trickster cleric of Cyric who ordered his bodyguard, a giant half-orc in full black plate to push and old lady into a sewer.

Well, turns out the old lady was an avatar of Tymora, and my bodyguard got turned into a toad sitting on top of a pile of expensive armor.

I got our trick'd

I missed the initial release reviews. Is the paladin UA any good? Conquest seems to be eh and I don't care about Treachery.

Conquest cool and flavor, but not the best.
Treachery too strong and weird flavorwise.

Mostly it was arguments about how good and evil these guys could be/are.

The correct answer there would be more like to spin around so the half-orc lands in the sewer, on a rust monster.

i think the DM was trying to curb my shenanigans
but that would work too

Did you have / are you having fun with your Trickster cleric? I'd like to play one but ugh, the features are sad. The domain spells are OK but I feel like Blessing of the Trickster and Invoke Duplicity should have been swapped, so that the first should be a Channel Divinity and the latter a short rest thing. Or a Wisdom modifier thing.

What are your advices for someone that'd like to play one?

My dude I don't care about features at all. I just play what I like. You have to make it work through RP anyways. You can be a naughty little bastard regardless of class features. As a party of Cyric followers we care more about how big our hats are and how giant our greatswords are more than how effective we are in combat.

There's already some implicit "tenets" in the description I guess.
>A paladin who
embraces the Oath of Treachery
owes allegiance to no one.
>a blackguard’s
overwhelming concern is power
and safety
>especially if both can be obtained at
the expense of others

Trickery feels like they wanted to make a blackguard but didn't have the right spells.

>FUCK THE TRIP
He's a namefag, not a tripfag. There is a difference. Anybody could pretend to be a namefag and make him less of a faggot.

Anyways. When should I as a GM, if ever, play music? I want to play shit during fights but the I remember players take way too fucking long to act so pulsepounding action shit fits horribly when they turn it into a strategy game.

You could try playing ambient music when doing miscellaneous things in towns etc. or when travelling

we only play the ffvii ost at all times my lads

Any good suggestions or OSTs?

I vow to be as treacherous as possible.

Just kidding, it was all a ruse

That's the difference between a filthy casual traitor and a paladin traitor.

There are plenty of vidya OSTs you can use. The Witcher series, Elder Scrolls (and Enderal, which has a bitchin OST), Guild Wars, Pillars of Eternity, etc. You can also find some premade mixes on youtube (just search 'medieval town music' or something similar).

...and FFVII
or else

Also if you're stuck finding fightan music, ask your players to pick an appropriate fightan song for their characters, and give them inspiration if their song plays in combat.

Just learned about the Favored Soul. Is it the best gish? Which Cleric Domain is best with it?

Bloodbourne has good boss music.

someone mentioned the Hadouze in another thread, apes that could glide with the skin flaps between their arms and legs

they are suppose to be from 3.5 but cant find in wich manual, can someone help me here please?

the butthole manual
LMAO

Hadozee are from Stormwrack, according to google

4e

noooooooooooooooooooooo
we must never go back

ask me any question i'll answer true

why haven't you killed yourself yet

They're still going at it in the other thread

hahahahahaa.... sorry but i dont get it, is hadouze a wordplay or something?

thanks i just downloaded the manual

i want to see episode 8 eventually
also i like to drink beer
it invokes a certain pensive mood where i LOVE music and poetry, especially Bukowski
Suicide seems like it requires a destructive mindset, which I don't have, frankly
life is a fucking chose though, so if you kill yourself it's fine to me, but I live to witness poetic expression, I think it validates life

It's not much of a gish, it needs something like the Paladin's Smite, 2 attacks and extra weapons aren't enough. It's a good start tho.
For the domains, I feel it depends on your party composition - if nobody is Blessing, Life gives you Bless and heals, if you have a lot of fighters around War gives you Crusader's Mantle, and Spiritual Weapon to burn your bonus actions... nothing else really jumps out.

>chose
*chore

Finally someone else mentioned it. I'm kinda happy desu.

>reason of life: episode 8
that is a fate worse than death!

maybe
curiosity

Another question about Favored Soul. Once you get Extra Attack with it, can you quicken a lightning bolt and then still get your two attacks?

Yes.

That's awesome. I've never played a magic user before (I usually play rogues) but this makes me want to play a Favored Soul now.

yes

Sure, but check level-by-level if you wouldn't be better off with a cantrip instead.

You can also quicken cast a spell and then twin cast booming blade on two dudes.

Cool and fun but change the name, Chronomental doesn't roll off the tongue well.

Should flavor be at the hands of the DM or the player for a character?

Is there a wrong answer?

The best way to manage it is by putting it in the player's hands but giving DM final say.
>You want your magic missiles to be glowing crossbow bolts that burst into sparks on impact? Sure.
>You want your magic missiles to be flaming skulls with bat wings that scream as they fly? Fuck no. A normal skull is fine though.

When I DM, i always ask the players if they want to flavor it up. Then I take what they say and expand on it.

Why did you get rid of how it eats Haste/Slow spells for hp and buffs?

I don't like the Blink Through Time-Blink-Displace interaction. I feel like the target of Displace should just be shunted forward, not into a weird demiplane that the Chronomental can get to. Or make it work like the Chronomental can drag things into its Time Stop to have a one-on-one.

On the CR calculation, I'm pretty sure that you are overestimating it, unless you feel like the Displace and Steal Time, which will get used once and probably get saved against, boost up its damage output considerably. Its defense is pretty solid, with its rewind.

I don't think rewind is very fun, though. The player rolls, does some addition on top of it, and if successful is told to do it again? Just more busy work.

r8 my campaign so far? I'm running the players through LMoP with pregens right now, and they're all excited to get finished with the campaign so they can make their "real" characters. At the risk of turning them off, I want to set the next campaign in Phandalin, about a decade later.

Warning, here be spoilers for LMoP

With the discovery of Wave Echo Cave, a few artifacts get excavated and sold, boosting Phandalin's economy and word gets out about the small town. Unfortunately, the knowledge of how to work the Forge of Spells has been lost, so it's not useful just yet.

When word gets out about the Cave being rediscovered, a group of Gnomes come to Phandalin, led by a magical scholar who is excited to conduct research on Wave Echo Cave, and basically a lawyer who wants to draw up a clean and clear document for the New Pact of Phandelver.

Soon after, a clan of Dwarves show up, claiming to be descendants of the Dwarves who were in the region hundreds of years ago, and they should get Wave Echo Cave since it is their birthright.

The three parties can't agree to terms, and talks are stalled.

Meanwhile, the Zhentarim seek to destabilize the area so they can get control of Wave Echo Cave themselves.

I think ideally I'd tell the players "you're all members of the Phandalin Militia" as an easy way to put them together, have a reason to work together, and have a reason to initially do stuff.

Eventually, the problems are resolved one way or another and work begins on Wave Echo Cave, but on digging deeper they found a fallen angel who was bound, buried, and forgotten. Their magical aura is the reason for the magic found in Wave Echo Cave, and has been slowly stolen from the angel. On waking up, the fallen angel seeks revenge and tries to consume the magical artifacts that hold his power, in a race against the players.

My Thoughts: vocaroo.com/i/s0bo1UU7cQjY

>fallen angel who was bound, buried, and forgotten
Lost me at this part. This comes wayy too far out of left field.

You didn't really explain what actually happens in the campaign though.

>Dwarf Clan
>Gnome Scholar and Lawyer

>The three parties can't agree to terms, and talks are stalled.

Who is the third party? Phandalin, or the Zhentarim?

Wouldn't GFB be better for twinning in many cases? If two enemies are next to each other then you're doubling the spell damage.

I assumed you couldn't twin the Blade cantrips, but reading them over again it seems to work.

Ehh, I wanted it to sort of work in two halves, where the first is more mundane, you're generally just making people happy, followed by something that's "big" and lets the players go from "you're in the militia doing public services" to "heroes".

The first half is maintaining everyone's happiness in the region, exposing the Zhentarim influence, and culminates in a long journey to find the lost Dwarf Clan Hall, as a gesture of goodwill to the dwarves, that reveals something significant about them that I haven't fully thought through.

I felt like I didn't want an easily available huge magic source in the form of Wave Echo Cave so I wanted something to go wrong with it, and I think I like the idea of a open ended "race against the BBEG for the macguffins"

Phandalin. Zhentarim are generally there fucking up relations, inciting race violence, waiting for opportune moments to seize more power.

Can't be twinned because two targets sadly.

>first half
Sounds good, but prepare for your campaign to be derailed (because this is pretty open ended and sandboxy; not a bad thing)

>second half
I meant that I didn't really like the fallen angel as the creature chosen. I feel that an elemental would work much better with the already established flavor of the cave.

Bane?

Yeah, I'm ready for derailing which is why I don't want to put too much thought beyond what's powering Wave Echo Cave and how it can be defeated. The details of that can be worked out later.

I mostly chose a fallen angel since I thought it worked with the time scale of Wave Echo Cave (it's gotta be at least 500 years old), and there's a high challenge rating right in the Monster Manual for it. Elementals by default aren't that strong but I guess I could make it an "Ancient Elemental" and beef it up or something.

>crashing this plane
>with no outsiders

So we are at risk of facing an army of celestials, and being the wizard with a level in cleric, I am making the call that the next time we see a celestial I have to get information from it, and I'm deciding planar binding will be my best bet. I just would like a second opinion on the combo to see if there is more room to make it better, as I don't like relying on saving throw failures.

Step 1) Banishment, forcing a charisma save against my wizard save which is 18 at the moment. The wild magic sorcerer can lower their roll by d4.
Step 2) Ready a magic circle spell, which takes a minute to cast but banishment lasts that long. End the banishment in the circle when it ends. No save.
Step 3) Use the one hour of magic circle to cast planar binding, which forces another charisma save, to get it to obey my character. Then it can tell me everything I need hopefully.

Two saves, and 1100 gold worth of material components.

Anything else I can do or other options? Hoping for two more levels for planar ally could be good but takes a lot of time, and commune/divination might help but also just give me no new information.
Any ideas on how I can shorten this or make it safer? They roam the material plane flying around, so catching them in a magic circle without banishment is something I wouldn't rely on.

I want to play RPGs, but I know no one will want to GM. Have any GMs ever started in that position? Seems like a lot of work for a newbie...

UA Samurai looks to be really, really good, while Knight looks to be really, really situational. Maybe I'm just not seeing the potential, but Fighting Spirit and Strength Before Death seem a lot better than Implacable Mark or Defender's Blade, especially because they put a bunch of limitations on reaction attacks.

The only reason I'm DMing is because I really wanted to play and knew this was the only way it would happen.

Friend bought the starter set, brought it over one day and we all just kind of dove in. If everyone's new then you'll all have fun learning how to play the game together.

Just have an okay handle on the rules and do your best to relax. It doesn't have to be perfect, and sometimes it's more fun when it's not.

Feinting Attack vs Precision Attack

>Feinting Attack
advantage is equivalent to a +5 so better than d8
you get to add the Sup Die as damage
target might die before you use the die
need to have a spare bonus action at the end of your turn
more crit chance thanks to advantage

>Precision attack
you get to see the roll before spending the Sup die
d10 to attack roll is better than advantage

Feinting attack seems pretty underated, am I missing something ?

Repost from last thread, tweaked some features and added F R E E spells to Sorcerer(for now). Any criticism is appreciated, this is still rough draft and I'm trying to find a good balance between fluff and mechanics before balancing 100%.

No, that's right. The difference comes when you need to stack as many accuracy bonuses as you can (the arrow hitting is more important than the damage), so you get advantage from a different source and pray the +1d8 is good enough to cut it.
Given bounded accuracy, it's very situational and you'd be better off having a friendly bard sing your spirits up.

Feinting attack adds the die to the damage.

Advantage is not equivalent to a +5, but instead rather variable. It almost doubles crit chance and has a variable effect depending on the target's AC.

I'd say that feinting attack is more reliable looks generally better, but it has to be a creature within 5ft.
However, precision attack is much better against very-high-AC targets as long as it's not insanely high AC.

Feinting takes a bonus action. There are ways to dish out an extra attacks for that action instead.
Also, in a party worth its salt, you should always have advantage already.
Feinting is good if you are low level and on your own (so you don't have advantage, and you don't have ways to use a bonus action), and you'll try your best to make it suck as hard as possible as you go up in levels.

Looks breddy gud.
I'd tell more about the feywild portal though - is it actually a portal one can use or is it merely an effect?

Oh, and just to make it clear, I was talking about Accurate being situational. Feinting Attack is just generically good, if a bit vanilla (you want advantage whenever you can get it, but you get in in a lot of places).
You get better options later on, when the party goes to work.

Oh, and as said, there are other things like advantage not stacking, advantage cancelling disadvantage, things that only trigger off of advantage.. And the fact it takes a bonus action.

If you don't already have advanatage or have a bonus action to use, feinting attack is generally better.

>itt: no one except knows what a trip is