Are there any Tabletop RPGs that have a good City/Base Building aspect to it...

Are there any Tabletop RPGs that have a good City/Base Building aspect to it? I was thinking the party play a group of heroes or whatever that establish a base camp which slowly grows as they go out on adventures.

GURPS does this with the City Stats book.

Check out 'The Quiet Year'. It's a civ RPG based on the premise of having a year to construct a settlement after an apocalyptic war but before the gangs arrive.

my players have had fun with the over-simple ruleset to leadership and management in our exalted game, but there is no way i'd recommend exalted for it. rather, i wanna mention how neat it is that it's basically just "what do you want made? give me 2 things that are sensibly true about what you rule or own that would let you make that." and the rules directly say "if you can think of a hassle about it to be overcome, hassle it." to make it so the players feel good about pushing their agendas and making sure they have hard choices to make, despite there being no actual quantified system to ruling City X.

that said, i'm colored interested by a game that actually does encourage base-building as a primary thing. most of the base-building stuff in other games is more like a "i'm done adventuring and want the adventures to come to me now" situation....

ACKS is nearly literally this.

Was going to say that.

Quiet Year isn't a base-building RPG. Half the game you're just identifying things in the town that haven't been noted yet, the other half you're making life miserable for the 30-odd folks who live there in an abstract way. It's nothing at all like what OP wants.

what does ACKS stands for?

Adventurer Conqueror King System. OSR game that carries on the old idea of the fighter getting a keep, the cleric a church, etc. to the logical conclusion. You start as a regular D&D adventurer, then get to the point where you can hire enough hirelings to take over a border area, and make yourself a king.

Adventurer, Conqueror, King system. It does what it says on the tin.
Personally I don't care for it, I'd rather use Labyrinth Lord's An Echo, Resounding supplement.

It's still a darn good game and can make for interesting settings for later RPG's if you take what you've made and clean it up

Is that less crunchy than ACKS? Been reading it and it seems very rules heavy.

Yeah, that's one of the things I like about it. It's more abstract than ACKS.

Also if you really want to get into building a castle, AD&D 2e's Castle Guide is excellent.

to be honest I've never read AD&D but isn't that the king of crunch and lots of rules?

The Castle Guide is a detailed guide to how castles are built, along with rules for building them and defending them, etc.
AD&D has a lot of rules, though, it's true.

Can you extract those rules to run with Lord's An Echo?

All the stuff about how castles function is valid regardless. The siege rules may be usable, I haven't tried to integrate them or anything -- it's been a good ten years since I read the Castles Guide. In any event, it's like "everything you wanted to know about castles, with numbers for stuff if you need 'em"

Alright, so mainly just use it as a reference guide when deciding enemy attacks or how successful the players are defending depending on what they decide to do?

I was going to suggest the Dresden Files RPG because you're expected to create the city as a group but I don't think that's exactly what you're asking for.

I've thought about trying to run a game that's like this, players landing on an unexplored island/travel to the frontier/colonise the past through a time-portal/etc, so I shall monitor this thread.

>needing rules for this
>wanting to add skinner box videogame mechanics to tabletop in the first place

Kek

If it's important, it should have mechanics assoicated with it.

If its important, the campaign is shit anyway, gb2/v/.

Here's your (You).

Thank you, you have created something of greater value than the rest of this thread today, and should feel good about it. I suggest we trade (you)s until the thread dies.

>Base building mechanic, where player importance relative to the world is shown in an elegant manner providing both mechanical boons and challenges as well as a narrative device to spur conflict and drama.
>skinner box videogame mechanic
Don't bother picking one, your opinions are dogshit.

Lul