Media (books, tv shows, movies, ect...) that are basically a TRPG campaign

Media (books, tv shows, movies, ect...) that are basically a TRPG campaign.

I'll start.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FruVcGwVwYA
youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>"Hey guys we're playing a space game where you play as this group of folks called the Ravagers"
>One guy makes a Han Solo type that's a little quirky but ultimately in flavour, even making it a part of the Ravagers.
>The girl wants to be the ultra special daughter of the main bad guy
>The minmaxing fuckwit dumps his social stats to the point of being unable to talk, in exchange for being indestructible.
>The lolsorandom dipshit makes a lolracoon guise, but then gets into the game and becomes basically the best asset the party has
>The fighter plays a fighter again.

Sounds pretty on-point to me.

This show feels like a campaign with all the fuck-ups.

Morrowind. The Tribunal plus Dagoth are the archetypal PC party (fighter, wizard, bard, cleric)

A party pretty much composed of That Guys.

>Ok guys, we're going to be playing an Age of Rebellion campaign...
>I want to be a jedi!
>Listen, there were no jedi after the Empire took over, besides you saw how bad that turned out when you played Rey last campaign.
>Ok, I'll be the daughter of the guy that made the Death Star.
>Seems interesting. What about you Jim?
>I'm going to be a droid.
>Uh...ok. Bob, what about you?
>I'm going to be a jedi.
>Did you not hear me, there are no jedi. You can be a force sensitive-
>I'll be that then. Also, I'm blind and use a quarterstaff that transforms into a blaster.
>What the...You know what, ok. Go nuts. Billy?
>I'm his bro. I have a huge machine gun blaster and we're partners.
>Sounds cool. Richard?
>I'm a rebel intelligence agent. I do whatever is necessary for the mission.
>Don't you think that's a bit too serious for Star Wars?
>No.
>Ok then. Finally, Jacob. Who you playing?
>A rebel pilot.
>Another rebel pilot?
>No but this time I was an Imperial pilot that defected.
>*sigh* Whatever guys, let's get started.

what is it with star wars & special snowflakes?

i thought were done with this shit when disney scuttled the EU.

ha
haha
hahahahaha

Last Star wars game I ran:

> Jedi skill monkeyed for telekinesis
> Jedi spec'd for melee
> Grenade launcher/Heavy Weapons guy
> Force Sensitive dual wielder
> Power armor faggot sniper

I had a party of special snowflakes

>Ok, I'll be the daughter of the guy that made the Death Star.
I hate new Star Wars.

You're hating it just now? Did you not see TFA?

I did, it just defeated me and I haven't seen Rogue One, so that little tidbit of information just hurt me.

It was pretty good, I didn't like Jyn, but everything else was good.

She was ok as a lead imho. Not as bad as Rey, that's for sure. Much better than any Star Wars movie that has come out since the prequels to be sure though.

>Ok guys, i've got an idea for a game and i'm going to need all of you. Play anything you like and I'll make it work.

>Yes, that's right, ALL of you.

TFA was a good film, at least in my opinion. I don't really understand the hate it gets.

Incorrect.
>Star Lord's player doesn't know the system, but RPs excellently and improvises shit with the big bag of loot he bought in character creation
>Gamora's player made a typical titty ninja, bought a shitload of "Working for Very Bad People" flaws to pay it off and didn't expect to be called on them
>Drax's player brought his punchy monk from D&D night because he got them mixed up, then just converted the character over
>Rocket's player is an absolutely vile powergamer, but managed his drawbacks better than Gamora
>Groot's new to the system and roleplaying in general, but he's Rocket's buddy and they made their characters together, including teamwork shenanigans like Groot handling the recoil on heavy weapons

A conversation that totally happened while they were playing:
Groot: Can I use my shapeshifting shenanigans to protect the rest of the group?
DM: ...Maybe, but you're low on juice. You'd probably end up drawing on your wounds, and you don't have many of those left either.
Groot: Do it.
Rocket: Man, it's okay, we can just TPK and start another one up.
Groot: No. This is what Groot would do.

It's mainly because it's just a retelling of A New Hope without anything new in it. That and Rey is a fucking terrible Mary Sue.

Other than Force Sensitive, that just sounds like a regular group. Especially

> Grenade launcher/Heavy Weapons guy

>special snowflakes
you mean main characters? people the story focuses on specifically because they are exceptional? Star wars, from the very beginning, has always been about a few exceptional individuals or groups having a huge influence on the entire galaxy. Star wars was never about everyman characters or even the armies. The new movies only follow the trend that started in 1977.
btw, why are people afraid of the "strong wimin! boogeyman" and the "Weeaboo boogeyman" memes?

>ok, i'll just be a jedi who is also the son of Darth Vader
>ok, i'll be a princess who is also the daughter of darth vader
>ok, i'll be the bestest smuggler in the entire galaxy with the fastest ship evah
>ok, i'll be a wookie who uses a crossbow in space

The new star wars movies aren't any worse in this regard than the originals, stop being blinded by nostalgia. If anything the characters in R1 were FAR less "special snowflake" than the originals.

Besides, its not like Jyn was some badass rebel and it just so happened her dad was the guy who made the death star and it was some huge reveal. its literally introduced in the opening scene of the movie.

Darth Vader is a BBEG that the DM later made Luke and Leia's parent without letting them know first. The two of them kissing was them going off the DM's rails without realizing.

I mean, sure, maybe. But you could argue it the other way. Those characters are surprisingly deep and all of them, except 790, have very complex backstories that tie into a huge, overarching story. They also have quite good synergy together as far as roleplaying goes, which drives the story very well. And you never see That Guys commit so totally to their flaws and play them out with such abandon and consistency, or make characters who can be simultaneously so unsympathetic and so likeable. If my players brought characters like this to the table and actually played them properly, I would be extremely impressed.

The difference is that where Luke was pushed around the whole time, Rey just fucks shit up with powers that are canonically impossible for her to have (midichlorians are retarded but still canon)

>canonically impossible
Such as what, and according to what cannon?

Beating a Sith in a lightsaber duel, using that cool force trick she won the duel with. Like I said, midichlorians are canon, and given that Anakin had the highest count ever and couldn't do anything like that without practice, her doing that shit with 0 previous experience is a load of crap.

I feel like Lock, Stock is almost as if a whole bunch of PCs/Campaigns got mushed together and this is the fallout.

I am disappointed in you, Veeky Forums.

Anakin could pilot a speeder at the age of 6 and not splatter himself across the landscape.

That is canonically impossible for humans to manage without using the force.

>A sith

A guy who the movie itself said had not finished his training, had just gotten shot in the stomach with a bowcaster and had taken a hit in a previous fight.

It was a wonder he could still stand, let alone even try to fight Rae.

>canonically impossible for ADULT humans to manage
FTFY.

>Beating a Sith in a lightsaber duel
He was pretty obviously not fully trained, as well as clearly not having much self control or discipline, and may not be that powerful of a force user or that good of a duelist in general.

>Anakin had the highest count ever and couldn't do anything like that without practice
You don't know that, because the movies don't show him between being 10 and being trained. You don't ever see him battle a sith the day after he finds a lightsaber, so you can't objectively compare them because you have no evidence of their abilities at equivalent ages and levels of training.

>Anakin had the highest count ever
We don't know hers, or Ren's. Maybe hers is higher than Anakin's. Maybe Ren is a super shitty force user. None of this is really established.

>doing that shit with 0 previous experience
Except she doesn't have zero experience, because she does know how to fight with a stick, so she actually has more experience than Luke did in the original film, probably more than he did up until him being trained by Yoda.

You could say it seems far fetched, but she is the hero of the story, and obviously, she's supposed to be a very strong force user. And Kylo Ren is not presented as the same kind of menace that Vader was.

I also forgot about So yeah, it didn't feel like much of a stretch to me.

Oh yeah, very true.

I suppose it'd be better to say "A team of That Guys that goes right."

I wasn't aware of Reb Brown's ouvre until I came across the Yeller playbook in Acton Movie World.

>Yor's world he's the man!
>*screech*

>and may not be that powerful of a force user
He's descended from Anakin (and we know Luke had the same potential as Anakin, so it doesn't automatically diminish in subsequent generations) and was able to stop blaster bolts in midair, something nobody else we've seen was able to come close to save things like the top end where Yoda zeroed out Force lightning.

Say what you will about his training or injuries, but I think that saying "he might not be that powerful" is doing a disservice.

>you mean main characters? people the story focuses on specifically because they are exceptional?

i don't know some of those characters in rogue one, ep7 & the star wars EU feel out of place even for star wars

>Star wars was never about everyman characters

luke in the original trilogy & finn in ep7 were practically designed to be everyman characters since we're supposed to be seeing the movies from they're perspective

>btw, why are people afraid of the "strong wimin! boogeyman" and the "Weeaboo boogeyman" memes?

i wouldn't have a problem with rey or ren if their characters didn't feel like they were written by 14 year old fanfic writers

>has always been about a few exceptional individuals or groups having a huge influence on the entire galaxy

Except it hasn't. The OT's main characters, in no particular order:

- Were captured and tortured multiple times.

- Failed at completing vital tasks assigned specifically to them (delivering the plans, fixing the Millennium Falcon, rescuing Han, etc.)

- Actively avoided dangerous situations when it made no sense to needlessly endanger themselves.

They were not exceptional, that's why we remember them. They were basically normal people who helped each other out in a difficult situation. They were not Mary Sue special snowflakes who effortlessly succeeded at everything they attempted.

>strong wimmin
Leia was a stronger character than Rey or this new chick from Rogue One, precisely because she suffered through the same challenges and events as her male peers.

It's not a boogeyman when it's real. Thanks for keeping Star Wars dumb and franchise dependent.

star wars is alot like sonic or dragonball in that they will never be good again

sure we'll get a freak accident every now and then that surprises everyone but the status quo will always be shit

Was this move any good or was it just a bad as TFA? Literally the only reason I'd watch it is because Vader's in it.

It was pretty bad. Maybe even worse than TFA

Figured as much.

Oh well.

At least I have that dank-ass Power Rangers movie to look forward to.

A lot of Tarantino's movies are a pretty good representation of what happens when the DM allows a party full of special snowflake lone wolves with edgy backstories to form, and what realistically would happen in the first sessions.

It absolutely was not, ignore that stupid user. It was fantastic.

Basically it was a dark Star Wars movie that nevertheless didn't forget that it's still a Star Wars movie and accidentally slip into something else with the Star Wars name. It's also the one that puts the most emphasis on the "wars" part. It feels like a war movie.

>Star Wars is about WARS

If you're wondering why Rogue One and TFA sucked, it's because of anons like this one.

I didn't know Disney executives browsed Veeky Forums

Good action and animation, the side characters are interesting and fun but tragically underdeveloped, and the two leads of "Catnip clone #237" and "Frenchie le Frog" are about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Let's stick to Episode IV, since it's unfair to compare Rogue One to three movies simultaneously.

>- Were captured and tortured multiple times.

Happens in Rogue One. Worse, the guy - the defecting Imperial pilot (not even a TIE pilot, a cargo shuttle pilot) - who gets tortured, is tortured by the people he defected to.

>- Failed at completing vital tasks assigned specifically to them

No, they didn't in Episode IV. R2's job was to find Obi-Wan, he did. Obi-wan's job was to get to Alderaan; he did (the fact that Alderaan wasn't there anymore was not in his control). Once on the Death Star, Obi-Wan's job is to bring down the tractor beam; he does. Luke, Han, and Chewie's is to rescue the Princess; they do. Then their job is to get off the Death Star and to Yavin IV; they do. Then it's to blow up the Death Star; they do.

They encounter a lot of hiccups along the way but ultimately achieve every goal they have. And the same thing happens in Rogue One. There are a lot of hiccups, but ultimately everyone achieves their goal.

>- Actively avoided dangerous situations when it made no sense to needlessly endanger themselves.

Happens in Rogue One.

>They were not exceptional, that's why we remember them

Bull fucking shit. Strictly using Episode IV knowledge, Luke is one of three known Force users in the entire setting and a crack pilot; Obi-Wan is the last known Jedi; Han Solo is the best pilot in the Galaxy with the fastest ship; R2 can hack anything effortlessly; and Leia is a princess with a willpower strong enough to resist personal torture by Darth Vader and who is badass enough to straight-faced lie about the location of the Rebel base even when her homeworld is on the line.

They are none of them normal people.

Following up on this.

>precisely because she suffered through the same challenges and events as her male peers.

How does Jyn Erso not? I'm intensely curious to hear it. I imagine you'll be describing the scene where she takes down a number of Stormtroopers by herself. I imagine that you'll forget that in this movie, literally everyone takes down Stormtroopers by themselves at every point in it, except for Bodhi, because he's just an Imperial cargo pilot, and because this is set in the Rebellion era, where "Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy" is in full effect.

Didn't care much for the characters, but that's alright. They were still not as bad as in TFA.
The pacing, action and animation were all pretty okay. I liked how well it linked up to A New Hope by the end.

God forbid I'm just some user who saw the movie and liked it, like nine in ten people who saw it according to audience reviews over at RT.

I didn't say Star Wars is ABOUT wars, I said that Rogue One is the first one to focus on that half of the title. It's a war movie. Go into it expecting to see something like The Guns of Navarrone, but in space. Because that's what it's trying to be.

>Let's stick to Episode IV, since it's unfair to compare Rogue One to three movies simultaneously.

Translation: "Let's ignore everything you just said because it defeats my argument."

>Happens in Rogue One. Worse, the guy - the defecting Imperial pilot (not even a TIE pilot, a cargo shuttle pilot) - who gets tortured, is tortured by the people he defected to.

Still waiting on those main characters growing and learning together through the pain of loss to ultimately add to the story.

>R2's job was to find Obi-Wan, he did.
After failing three times.

>Obi-wan's job was to get to Alderaan; he did (the fact that Alderaan wasn't there anymore was not in his control)

Then by definition he didn't you fucking idiot.

>Once on the Death Star, Obi-Wan's job is to bring down the tractor beam; he does.

And dies.

> Luke, Han, and Chewie's is to rescue the Princess; they do

Leia rescues THEM from the cell block.

>Then it's to blow up the Death Star; they do.
R2 is destroyed, Luke's best friends and copilots die.

>They encounter a lot of hiccups along the way but ultimately achieve every goal they have

Name one hiccup Rey encountered that she did not immediately overcome by force of plot.

The point isn't that people achieve their goals, the point is that they struggle to achieve their goals.

>Happens in Rogue One.

Yes, running headlong into AT-ATs on foot is definitely not taking needless risks.

>Strictly using Episode IV knowledge, Luke is one of three known Force users in the entire setting and a crack pilot

If you're strictly using Episode IV knowledge, you don't know what the Force is and it's even mentioned in the film that being able to use the Force is not that big of a deal. Luke is a crack pilot because he dusts crops and wants to enlist in the Imperial Academy. First thirty minutes of the movie.

>Obi-Wan is the last known Jedi
And he was the wise mentor character who relied on the others for help. He was not doing backflips off of walls.

cont.
>Han Solo is the best pilot in the Galaxy with the fastest ship
He literally tries to con Obi-Wan and Luke by claiming his ship is the fastest - it isn't, he's not the best, he's on the run and desperate. Normal. Fucking. Person.

>R2 can hack anything effortlessly
Which is why it takes him ten minutes to stop the garbage compactor, right? Watch the movie.

>Leia is a princess with a willpower strong enough to resist personal torture by Darth Vader

And of the three characters you mentioned hers is the only character who is marginally exceptional, solely because of her history with the Rebellion.

You seem obsessed with action and not so much with story, which is probably why you enjoyed Rogue One. Both TFA and Rogue One share superficial similarities with the OT, but the story is what matters, not the visuals or the action itself. Star Wars isn't about wars. It's a family drama in space. Everything else is set dressing.

Shooting Stormtroopers is not exceptional. Jyn Erso suffers more from a terrible actress and a shit plot.

Again, you focus entirely on the action, not the character.

So it's not a Star Wars film.

It's a ninety-minute commercial for this scene.

youtube.com/watch?v=FruVcGwVwYA

>"Let's ignore everything you just said because it defeats my argument."

If you can't see why comparing one movie to three is innately nonsensical, then I can do nothing for you.

>Still waiting on those main characters growing and learning together through the pain of loss to ultimately add to the story.

The only character who meaningfully changes over the course of Episode IV is Luke; everyone else is the same person from beginning to end. In Rogue One:

- Bodhi learns to be brave by watching others around him, particularly Jyn and Cassian, be brave.
- Cassian learns that his approach to the Rebellion - basically, rebellion for its own sake rather than for a real cause anymore - is turning him into what he hates most
- Jyn learns that she can't expect to live a free or meaningful life under the Empire if the Death Star is allowed to exist; in her own words, "what chance to we have? The question is what CHOICE? If we let something this evil and this powerful win, then we'll never be free."

>Leia rescues THEM from the cell block.

Leia's plan would have gotten them all killed if they didn't have R2 on call. Full credit for that escape goes to Team Han-Luke-Chewie-R2-3PO.

>After failing three times.

After failing once. It doesn't count as a "failure" if by failing you still move closer to your goal. Getting captured by Jawas moved him closer to Ben's home; getting bought by Luke moved him closer to Ben's home; and then running off on his own got him to Ben.

>And dies.

No, he dies for unrelated reasons. He deliberately sought out Vader and chose to fight him knowing that it would lead to his death. Him fighting Vader had nothing to do with the tractor beam.

>R2 is destroyed, Luke's best friends and copilots die.

Gonna need to get back to this in another post.

You're on Veeky Forums, not /tv/. Chill the fuck out, because you're just coming off like a raging aspie Star Wars fanboy

Spoiler alert, and proof that you haven't actually seen Rogue One: Every single character in Rogue One original to Rogue One is dead by the end of the movie. In order: Jyn's father dies to a Rebel Y-wing bomb, Bodhi dies to a grenade thrown into his shuttle; Baze and Chirrut die to grenades on the beaches; K2-SO is shot to death by Stormtroopers; Blue Leader and in fact all of Blue Squadron are shot down over Scarif; Director Krennic, Jyn, and Cassian all die when the Death Star fires on Scarif; Admiral Radas' fate is technically unknown, but given that he was on a disabled ship when Vader boarded, it's safe to assume he's dead.

And as a special bonus, Saw Gurrera, who wasn't actually introduced in Rogue One but was rather a character in both The Clone Wars and Rebels, dies to the Death Star on Jedha.

Watch a movie before you criticize it, asshole.

>Yes, running headlong into AT-ATs on foot is definitely not taking needless risks.

Again, proof that you havent' actually seen the movie. They run AWAY from the AT-AT's until there is nowhere left to run, at which point they turn to fight because they have no other choice, an they would have died if not for the timely intervention of other Rebels (which, had you actually seen the movie, you would know only delays the inevitable anyway). The fact that they're running away is actually specifically called out.

I'm going to once again emphasize this:
WATCH A MOVIE BEFORE YOU CRITICIZE IT, ASSHOLE, lest you reveal how

Egh, posted before I was finished.

*lest you reveal the fact that you haven't actually seen it accidentally.

It's the story of the first two paragraphs of Episode IV's opening crawl.

>It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

>During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

>If you can't see why comparing one movie to three is innately nonsensical, then I can do nothing for you.

If you can't see why having characters suffer in order to grow is vital to a compelling and interesting story, then I don't want you to do anything for me.

Rogue One was made to tie a nice neat bow around one of the most iconic scenes in cinema. It deliberately tried to connect itself to the OT, it deserves to be compared to the OT.

>The only character who meaningfully changes over the course of Episode IV is Luke; everyone else is the same person from beginning to end

youtube.com/watch?v=2WBG2rJZGW8

Han Solo begins the story as a mercenary on the run from a criminal family, lying, cheating, and generally behaving like an asshole.

He ends the same movie by abandoning his lust for money to help his friend. Have you ever even watched the OT? Because this is the third or fourth time you've made a dumb statement directly contradicted by the film you're criticizing.

>Leia's plan would have gotten them all killed if they didn't have R2 on call.
They were surrounded on both sides with no way out. Leia's plan was resourceful and necessary, and Han-Luke-Chewie went along with it.

>It doesn't count as a "failure" if by failing you still move closer to your goal.

R2 did not intend to find Obi-Wan. Again, it was still a failure.

>No, he dies for unrelated reasons.
He dies after he turns off the tractor beam.

Again, you're focused entirely on the ACTION. The story, characters, and the interactions between the two are what matters. You can't restrict your argument specifically to action because those actions occurred within a larger framework of plot. When Luke swung across the chasm, flew down the Death Star trench, and learned with Obi-Wan, it mattered. It affected and changed him as a character.

There is no larger plot, story, or general impact in TFA or Rogue One.

>Translation: "Let's ignore everything you just said because it defeats my argument."
>hurrdurr let's compare a trilogy to a single movie!
What's next, are you going to compare the character development of Rogue One to a running series of 6 seasons?

>Still waiting on those main characters growing and learning together through the pain of loss to ultimately add to the story.
Moving the goalposts, are we?
>Yeah okay so I was wrong on X (which I won't actually say), but what about Y mhm?
Let's just ignore how the loss of two important figures in the life of the main character are the whole reason she joins the rebellion in the first place, despite not caring about it at first
Let's just ignore how the frenchie changed his own motivation for rebellion, which he even spelled out for idiots like you.
The temple protector, who got cynical about the force, losing his buddy? Who in his last moments is at peace of the shit that happened to him because of it?

>Then by definition he didn't you fucking idiot.
But not due to his own failures, which your original point was about: failures.

>And dies.
According to keikaku

Since you're so adamant about how loss leads to learning and character growth, care to at least point out how this affected Luke at all? Because you continuously imply that it does, yet never name it.
The exact same shit happened in TFA and Rogue One, to a T.

>Name one hiccup Rey encountered that she did not immediately overcome by force of plot.
Weren't we talking about Rogue One?

>spoiler
And nothing they did or accomplished matters, because they are subservient to a story that's already been told and, what's more, we know how it ends.

The ending scene of Rogue One is the most eye-rolling fanboy bullshit. You just sat through a two hour commercial for Episode IV.

>Yes, running headlong into AT-ATs on foot is definitely not taking needless risks.
They didn't run headlong into them, those AT-ATs were dispatched long after the fighting started. A fight that was carefully planned to give themselves as much of an advantage as possible, which they succesfully did. But it didn't turn out the way they hoped later on. Weren't you complaining about facing no failures before? Yet here you name a failure yourself, and still present it as a problem.

I agree with you on the characters, though please tell me how the characters of Rogue One are in any way special.

>Moving the goalposts, are we?
Where were they before?

I think the user you're quoting is talking about Rey, not Jyn. Jyn is a good character, Rey the definition of mary sue

You were comparing the movies, pointing out how the OT did X

Then when people point out X happens in Rogue One too, you don't even acknowledge it and say "Well how does that impact Y, huh?"

How does this even need spelling out?

>R2 did not intend to find Obi-Wan

Yes, he fucking well did. He was explicitly trying to deliver his plans to Obi-Wan Kenobi and was moving in the direction of Obi-Wan's house the entire time. That's not "failure", that's "progress".

>Leia's plan was resourceful and necessary, and Han-Luke-Chewie went along with it.

And it would have gotten them killed, AND it's still only a component of the larger "save the princess" plan of Luke's. Luke's the one who initiates the rescue, comes up with the plan to sneak into the detention block, and gets them out of the garbage disposal (by way of R2, his droid and whom he brought to the Death Star). Leia helped his plan, but it was ultimately Luke's plan from beginning to end.

>He ends the same movie by abandoning his lust for money to help his friend.

A sudden change of heart during the last 5 minutes of a film is hardly "character development", and rescuing Luke doesn't change that his ship is still full of the money that he needs to pay back Jabba. That we learn later in Episode V that he evidently used that money for something else, or gave it back to the Rebellion, is irrelevant. Again, it's nonsensical to compare one movie to three.

>He dies after he turns off the tractor beam.

But not as a result of anything he did involving the tractor beam. You're creating a link where there is none. There is, properly speaking, no link between his job on the Death Star and his death.

Or if there is, I fail to see how, for example, Bodhi's own death in Rogue One isn't somehow meaningful. Bodhi risks his life to set up the connection between Scarif and the Rebel fleet to transmit the Death Star's plans, and in the end he dies for it. It's no different than Obi-Wan.

You'd know this had you actually seen the movie.

Because it's confusing.

>The OT did X
No, I said the OT did X and X actually mattered.

Rogue One did X but it was ultimately pointless because Rogue One was forced to fit into a very limiting plot in order to "explain" Episode IV.

X didn't matter in Rogue One because it was a commercial for a story we've already seen, excluding yourself of course, since you seem to think no character changes in Episode IV.

On an unrelated note, how do you feel about a new Star Wars movie every year for the next thirty years?

>HURDURF U FOCUS ON THE ACTION
Coming from the guy misinterpreting the most basic shit from OT or simply outright lying about what happens and what the motivations were.

>You just sat through a two hour commercial for Episode IV.

That's only a problem if I wasn't expecting that going in. From the first trailer we knew it was going to be about getting the Death Star's plans. What were you expecting different from it?

>because they are subservient to a story that's already been told and, what's more, we know how it ends.

By that logic, a movie like Apollo 13, Schindler's List, or Lincoln is a piece of crap since we already know how that's going to end.

This confuses me, as we were exclusively talking about Rogue One.

>A sudden change of heart during the last 5 minutes of a film is hardly "character development"

Didn't you JUST get done trying to lecture me for moving goalposts?

>He was explicitly trying to deliver his plans to Obi-Wan Kenobi and was moving in the direction of Obi-Wan's house the entire time

But not through any effort of his own - he didn't know Obi-Wan was on Tatooine. Hey, aren't you trying to lecture us again on making links where none exist? That's two hypocritical, self-defeating arguments in one post, and I don't really feel like pointing out more.

You liked the movie. Other people didn't. I'll take my good Star Wars and you take your badwrongfun Star Wars and we can call it a day.

>No, I said the OT did X and X actually mattered.
No, you mentioned it happened and how it shows the characters are more 'normal people'.
Christ, just scroll up and re-read your own fucking posts.

You keep claiming everything in OT matters somehow, but when pressed on it you can't say why that is.

>since you seem to think no character changes in Episode IV.
Where the fuck did I say this you double-nigger? What is it with you people that you must put words into your opponent's mouth and simply lie about the shit you say, while it's right here in front on you as WRITTEN TEXT

It's quite clear that your ACTUAL point is buzzwordy shit like
>it lost MUH SOUL REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>On an unrelated note, how do you feel about a new Star Wars movie every year for the next thirty years?

I think it would be fiscally irresponsible of Disney to not do this.

>Rogue One did X but it was ultimately pointless because Rogue One was forced to fit into a very limiting plot in order to "explain" Episode IV.

Again, by this logic, any any every movie based on true events is ultimately pointless.

You would appear to just not like prequels and are incapable of judging movies on their own merits. You're an autistic retard. Fine, that's your own thing. But you need to recognize that you are basically unique in this.

A special snowflake, if you will.

>Misinterpreting basic shit
Like what?

>By that logic, a movie like Apollo 13, Schindler's List, or Lincoln is a piece of crap since we already know how that's going to end.

No, because Apollo 13, Schindler's List, and Lincoln aren't pieces of crap because the stories they tell aren't limited to the ultimate outcome. The point of Apollo 13 isn't that they make it back safely, it's all that shit in the middle. Same with Schindler's List and Lincoln.

The ENTIRE POINT of Rogue One was the ending. It was a setup, a literal two hour commercial, for the ending.

>This confuses me, as we were exclusively talking about Rogue One.

Says the guy who brings in other films into the discussion.

>Where the fuck did I say this you double-nigger?
I mistook you for the other autistic neckbeard, clearly.

Hard to tell us apart.

>Again, by this logic, any any every movie based on true events is ultimately pointless.

I'll let you read my response.

>he didn't know Obi-Wan was on Tatooine.

What? Yes he did, or at least the alternative is never suggested to my memory. Please, tell me where it is said or implied that R2 doesn't know that, at the least, Obi-wan is on Tattooine.

> and you take your badwrongfun Star Wars

That you have proven, conclusively, that you have not actually seen. The proof, if you're curious, was when you highlighted that Rebel pilots died to bring down the Death Star, casually ignoring that EVERY CHARACTER INTRODUCED IN ROGUE ONE IS DEAD BY THE END OF THE MOVIE.

They all died in a battle just as important as the one at Yavin IV, achieving a goal just as important as what Red Leader and Biggs Darklighter and all the others died for.

Ah my bad, the way he was describing the 'strong wimmin' meme being true seemed to fit rey so well.

Thoughts on rey user? Comparing Jyn to Rey?

The wanker probably likes the prequels from Lucas so he automatically hates all the Disney shite.

>The ENTIRE POINT of Rogue One was the ending.

That is, literally, just your opinion. I for one enjoyed seeing the Rebellion on the verge of disbanding, and getting additional context for just how important the Battle of Yavin and the prior battle, which we now know is called the Battle of Scarif, was to keeping the Rebellion going.

You're looking at Rogue One as a two-hour commercial; I'm thinking of it more as being Part One of a two-part movie, with the second part being Episode IV.

See >Didn't you JUST get done trying to lecture me for moving goalposts?

>he can't even tell the difference between two posters
There's probably 3 people talking to your dumb ass, including me.

I'm quite sure the other autistic neckbeard never claimed that shit either.

We are DEFENDING Rogue One's characters from straight-up bullshit criticism, not ATTACKING OT's characters. It's just that you put such retarded criticism that it can be reflected directly back to the whole OT cast.

Rogue One's problems were that it had too little time to properly establish the characters and make them feel meaningful. While they did have character development, it was often rushed. THAT is proper criticism.
The of the two main characters was shit. THAT is proper criticism.

You're complaining about straight-up bullshit that isn't even true, and make it quite clear you didn't even watch the movie, or if you did, you did so absent-mindedly.

Rogue One reeks of flaws, but you just pull a bunch out of your ass to bitch about rather than to bitch about it's actual problems.
I found it surprisingly alright. It doesn't live up to the originals, but it is far above the prequels and TFA.

Although that might be cheating since it's a story in story.

>That is, literally, just your opinion

And we've reached the end of the argument. Good show.

Like Rogue One, you've invalidated the entire discussion in a single moment. Everything is opinion, user. That's not an argument.

And how exactly are those films about the middle whereas Rogue One is about the ending?

>Says the guy who brings in other films into the discussion.
You're the one judging a film by comparing it to other films in the first place.
Your entire criticism is comparing it to OT, and you do so half-assedly.

Jyn and Rey are completely different characters in every way. I could compare them, I guess, but it seems nonsensical to do so; it'd be like comparing Rocky Balboa to John McClane.

For my own part, though, while I acknowledge fully that Rey was too "perfect" in TFA, I still fundamentally liked her, am interested to learn more about her connection to Luke and Kylo, and have faith that in Episodes VIII and IX we'll get some flaws for her and see her develop more as a character.

If nothing else, I hold out hope that she'll eventually wield a lightsaber pike rather than the traditional lightsaber. Lightsaber pikes are sweet.