Aesthetically What Marine Armor Should Be the Default?

This is a thread for the subject's question, but also a general discussion upon the aesthetics of all armor in 40k, how it could be improved, what stuff is frankly bad or embarrassingly unoriginal (by even 40k's standards) etc, and for all factions, not just Muhreens. On what marine armor you think is AESTHETICALLY the better default (IE, iconic, catches the eye, looks like nothing else and is semi original, etc), not taking into account the fluff behind armor at all, but just its general appearance.

strawpoll.me/11925106

Personally, I hate MK VII "Aquila" armor with a passion. It looks like a generic ripoff of darth vader, whereas the Corvus helm actually looks incredibly iconic in sci fi. My favorite is MK III just because of the sheer bulk especially on the models, but MK VI jumps out as the "wow I haven't seen that before" armor.

VI or IV. Probably IV with vertical mouth grills.

Dark Eldar have the best-looking clothes and armor in the setting, but such an aesthetic is too narrow to be applied to a whole setting.

Also, mk IV is the ugliest shit, and it's not even trying to be ugly like mk V.

MK VII is best base.

What do you find appealing about it?

It's sleek, and not so over designed as earlier marks.
The helm is a stylistic angry caricature, which fits the personality of the space marines and tone of the setting well.

Iron or Maximus. 2 best looking armors.

MKII really nails the idea of future space knight for me (MKI and III too, but not that much). Looks also more intimidating to me, than MKIV or any later

MkII.

It's so 80's and cool looking.

I actually completely understadn where you are coming from with the Mark VII. I still think it is iconic though, even if it looks a bit like Vader. To be honest this is a very hard choice because I really think all of the armors look awesome. I'm not a huge fan of Mk. V but it still has its merits. Personally I like III, IV, VI, VII, the most with VIII being basically the same as VII but just cooler and more elite.

Even though I don't play them, I also like Eldar power armor. The Batman-like triangle eyes and no mouth are like how he is drawn in the shadows in the animated series as just as dark form and bright, menacing eyes. They certainly look awesome!

MKI.
>b-but why
Single-slit visor is clearly the superior choice.

MKXIII
I love popped collars

I thought they only went to 7? Regardless, I like the one with the raised collar as well.

Ultimately I do like the fact that every Chapter does minor modification to their armor to suit their chapter's culture. While the Smurfs are suppose to be vanilla I would love to see them be more Roman in their design such as killing and wearing a 40k version of a grizzly or lion on one of their homeworlds so that a Captain wears it or something like that. And then from there more Chapters who are more operator like with tactical webbing and shit

Only Death Watch gets access to it currently?

Maximus armor has always been my favorite, and I think it could work as standard. It doesn't look too out there, like the Corvus or Heresy armors, and it doesn't have the stupid frowny face the Aquila has.

That's mark 2 you Bakka.

As far as I know MK8 is the errant armor

I have a bunch of concept art from 2003 about stuff exactly like that

You guys wanna see it?

Well what are you waiting for?

Just deliver already user

For context, back in 2003-2004, when I believe they were revamping the models for space marines, GW asked "hey those Ultramarines, why don't we make them fucking cool?", so a LOT of concept art was drawn that popped up on tumblr recently.

Literally nothing came of it. ;-;

They even had a roman style lion helmet, but made with a genestealer.

In a different timeline, and everything in this concept art came true, Veeky Forums would be dedicated to how awesome both the Ultramarines and Dark Angels are.

>purity seal headband
I'm not sure if I'm laughing or appauled.
It's perfect. We need religious roman rambomarines.

I ain't done yet.

Mark 8 Errant armor baby

Fuck everything else

Including what is likely the origin of the centurion.

Thanks user for sharing this with the class

I like when the knights in space angle is played and marine armour is personalized with heraldry and holy relics.

Also, tabards.

DUAL ASSAULT CANNONS

CAN'T HANDLE THE REEEEEND

His chaos stuff was pretty great too.

Interestingly, that helmet crest was used in the Deathwatch upgrade sprue.

>DUAL ASSAULT CANNONS
For when you absolutely, positively need something dead.

Actually, the Ultras did have some more Romanesque armors during the Great Crusade; look at FW for the Praetor upgrade kit.

That Chaplain is pimpin real hard with that cloak.

Thanks user, this dump is magnificent.

I wish they had them wear cloths over their armor more often. I want to see tabards and great cloaks. Better if they can make a great coat as well.

RED BULL GIVES YOU WINGS

>asymmetrical pauldrons

Unf...

>dat pic
noice

>this dump

So I presume the artist was shitcanned for having too many good ideas?

Holy mother of god i want that as a model. Thank you so much user, for posting all this. I would like to know who the original artist is so i can ask him to marry me.

Dude on the right remind anyone else of a certain angel from diablo? Looks pretty neat but the chaplain with wings in the post before that is even better.

I think the Aquila looks too busy, and I like almost all the Heresey-era heads better.

Wonder if that's where they got the tank tread tabard idea used on bullgryn armor from

that looks more like saturnyne?

I'd have to go with MK III or IV for helmets, but I don't like the MK III body so much. Beakies also do it, but again the legs

they had like a scattering of these in a WD way back when, no idea why they didn't go forward with them.

This has been a secret gets thread I guess.

I can't quite make out what the text is saying, is that another helmet or part of one above is head?

'Hat helmet"

Mark II or Mark VI.

Mark VI is iconic, and both have a stronger medieval feel. Space Marines should be heug knights in space, not sci fi warriors.

>this thread

What the fuck, I like marines again?!

I think it's the same guy who did some art for WFB in 2006, so no. They just ignored half his ideas.

New to the game, but whatever the 30k marines use.

Pretty much everything in 30k looks like just a straight improvement over the 40k stuff. (Except for dreadnauts. 30k dreads look retarded.)

>30k dreads
This stupid thing.

Didn't anyone tell you? Only /b/ cares about post numbers these days. The rest of us have actual discussions.

that's basically tartaros

I wonder if he moved to the FW team. It would make sense.

Aesthetically I really like the Dark Angel's style of robes and dangling bits. I wish more marines had that kind of overwrouth & archaic look to them to really drive home the KNIGHTS IN SPACE feel.

That marine always looked too tall to me

I don't think mk VI looks good on Chaos marines, but it's great on loyalists.

>The rest of us have actual discussions.

Honestly, I've barely ever seen it on Chaos marines. There's just one pic I know of out there with a Night Lord beakie, and that looks alright.