I don't browse this board too often but it seems to me there are very few grognards here

I don't browse this board too often but it seems to me there are very few grognards here.
Why is that. I've just gotten into 1st ed AD&D and it is the most interesting version I've encountered.

For the same reason you don't see a lot of TES:Arena fanboys. Old and out-of-date is old and out of date. So many of the changes have made the game infinitely more playable.

Even when we played 1st edition, 1st edition was never great. It was best to ignore the weapon speed tables because combat was slow enough as is. Please tell me your class and level, so I can look up the right chart when you roll? THACO was much better.

Gary liked writing charts and tables just to write charts and tables, and many of them weren't any good.

You do see daggerfall fanboys though.

The hell you talkin' bout? Lotsa people play adnd, especially recently.

The hype with (newgame) always dies down, leaving us to go back to the old standards.

Ugh. I bought Daggerfall when it first came out, and it was a complete buggy mess. Windows 95 out for a year? Release it for DOS. Everything else is in SVGA? Release it in VGA.

So many files corrupted. So much of the game broken. So much of everything was just random pieces strung together.

A friend of mine completed a quest by falling though a crack in the doorway, and flying through where the walls and the earth of the dungeon was to cast a fireball at the werewolf that was the target of the quest. He then flew back, and managed to get back through that crack.

Daggerfall is why I never buy anything from Bethesda new anymore. Five years after release, they will have all the bugs fixed, all the expansions released, and the modders will have provided additional content.

OP, you're looking for this thread: Daggerfall's still the second best one after Morrowind.

These guys are retards.

grognards dont play d&d (or pathfinder or... )

Oh it certainly is a terrible buggy mess.
But it has a charm that is hard to find elsewhere.
I have never gotten too much into it but I can understand peoples dedication as there isn't really another Dungeon Crawler like it.

Veeky Forums like what is hip and new. See 5th Edition. The OSR threads usually go over pre WotC D&D.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Yeah. What I really wonder is why does there not appear to be any warhammer grognards?

>Huge assumption this is not a troll
>Why is that. I've just gotten into 1st ed AD&D and it is the most interesting version I've encountered.

Because they had alot of zany ideas before they were held down by the "ideal" of traditional D&D. Also before they were held to any solid rules.

I still play 40k 2nd Ed whenever my old pals are around. I just don't have any new content to post about it.

People only play 40k, AoS and the latest edition of d&d. Very few people actually have any knowledge about a wide range of games.
There also isn't even any reason to play 1st edition d&d these days. with all the retroclones that build on and improve it.

There are some grognards around here, usually in the osr thread. But a surprising number of people on tg are in their 30s and 40s.

Does grognard imply an age?
I just thought it implied you play old stuff as opposed to new.

I always thought of it as just someone who is very set in their ways. You can be a grognard of something new, as long as you just dismiss everything else without even attempting to give it a chance.

You don't see people talking about AD&D because RC is the best edition.

>Not B/X

RC is just B/X but cleaned up, there's no reason not to use it.

No, Rules Cyclopedia is BECMI, minus the I, with all the stuff from the various gazetteers and stuff all packed in. Like an Encycylopedia of everything that was made for Basic.
It is perhaps even more bloated than AD&D. Not that there's not a lot of cool stuff in there, but it's just too damn much. Plus it uses the borked thief skill progression.

The formatting is also dreadful, it's really crap to actually use for a game.

My grimdark comrade!

It implies experience, user. Experience from having gone thru the shit before, and knowing the shit will come again.