I kind of want to do a Gundam game and someone suggested Mekton Zeta, but then

I kind of want to do a Gundam game and someone suggested Mekton Zeta, but then

>anime RPG
>from the 90s
>The Cyberpunk 2020 guy

How bad is this gonna be, and in what way? I'm afraid to read it now.

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/xi1lrrcziwrcm3z/Mekton Zeta Complete Pack.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You'll find comparable systems with less of an anime focus, but if you're planning on running a game based on Gundam, an anime, you'll be hard pressed to find one that does a better job.

The rules are pretty straightforward, and it's easy to learn how to play. The complexity comes into play during combat (but especially mecha-combat), and the only major learning curve or difficulty comes from building mecha; it's something you have to learn to do properly, and you'll only get the hang of it through practice.

All in all? A really solid game for its time, and even today. There's not many alternatives either as far as your prospective game goes.

Make sure you've got the core book, and Mekton Zeta +, it's pretty much essential if you want more than the basic mecha construction stuff.

An user helpfully uploaded a bunch of the books here: mediafire.com/file/xi1lrrcziwrcm3z/Mekton Zeta Complete Pack.zip

That's about as good an endorsement as I hoped for.

I was hoping I could find a copy to read before I bought it.

Thank you, both of you.

It depends on how much time your characters are going to spend in their mechs imo. Cause if you're gonna have them spend a lot of time in their mechs, you might just not want to bother with it, since mech battles largely depend on one thing, and thats what level your Skill stat is at.

>There's not many alternatives either as far as your prospective game goes.

We have a list of literally more than 50 mecha games in a googledoc, to say nothing about generic systems that are capable of pulling off a mech game (and the assholes who'd rather run it in refluffed 4e such as myself).

tinyurl
period
com
slash
allmecha

A list of 50 mecha games including Mekton, a handful of good but less suitable for his purposes systems, and a bunch of trash.

it's pretty much trash
the rulebook is a completely disorganised mess so during combat you're going to be either looking through shit for hours or making on-the-spot judgements all the time, mech vs mech combat is a crapshoot because it quickly becomes pure (and literal) rocket tag, human vs human combat is also rocket tag but can be mitigated with armour, character creation is broken, the dice system is the swingiest garbage i've ever seen with exploding criticals on 10s and semi-exploding crit fails on 1s leading to it being pretty much impossible to give a sensible difficulty for most checks and giving infinite burst lasers infinitely broken potential, as well as making the luck stat completely fucking useless in any capacity.
the only remotely decent part about it is advanced mecha creation being kind of fun, although you'll want a spreadsheet for that shit and half the shit you make won't actually be viable and if you hand that shit to the players expect to see mistakes and miscalculations abound.

it's one of those games that is potentially workable, but you have to do a shitload of work building premade shit on your own and have to memorise the entire ruleset cover-to-cover or else you're going to have a bad time.

if you're going to run it, good luck

I've been running it for a long time, with multiple games under my belt, and I've yet to experience most of those problems. The one I can't disagree with is the book being disorganized though, there's so much stuff you'd miss just by not reading the entirety of every single page.

It is like everything that was made in the 90's :P But it still works if you read it through.

Check out Jovian Chronicles 1E for something simpler yet still crunchy

And I'd care more about your opinion if you didn't think Mekton is good, or if I believed even for a moment you had time to play all of them while also having time to run a Mekton campaign.

Mekton is great, you just need to get good.

Is it me or has their been a spike in /m/echa culture lately?

Mekton 0 when?

Also Mekton is like mecha GURPS but instead of picking and choosing rules it's sort of like creating benchmarks for mech power tiers and trying to keep PC mechs in rough closeness to each other.

It definitely seems that way to me. I guess if there's a mecha thread kicking around for a few days though, there's bound to be some anons who get interested in it...

>Mekton 0 when?
It's a mystery.

bump

Oh refluffed 4E dude is still around. Nice to see the board being consistent, keep on being weird and having bad opinions.

I don't mean that in a mean way!

Actually, there was at least 2 of us. I've never ran mechs in refluffed 4e, I'd just rather that than Mekton.

I did run an AC inspired game in Strike!.

Just use Jovian Chronicles, it'll have comparable stats for most U.C. stuff and handles mecha in space excellently.

Mekton is clunky badly written shite.
If you want to mimic more the feel of Gundam than an actual setting Battle Century G exists

If you want to mimic one of the settings I can't help you, I've been trying to find something that isn't dogshit for doing UC for years

Might wanna note Mecha vs Kaiju uses Fate and Steel Roses/HeartQuest is pretty much the same as Mecha Aces underneath.

MvK is my first choice for hacking into something that can do the gritty UC Gundam campaign I crave at present. Can't stand Silhouette either so Jovian Chronicles is out for me. I would use the d6 conversion from Heavy Gear and use it as guidelines, but that'd require effort and a bucket of dice.

>Mekton is clunky

Perhaps if you're piss-poor at running games, and your players are mentally handicapped.

Actually, as a semi-related note, does anyone have a good 'silhouette' of a mech for recording damage?

You know, sort of like the classic Battletech locational silhouette in the bottom-right corner. I'm looking for something more humanoid, more GM or Gundam-ish, but there you go.

>if you don't like playing this game you're a retard!
Nice argument faggot, go read the mecha building or combat chapters and see if you can say that again with a straight face