Since FFG breaks up with GW soon and somewhere mid-february or something they stop selling games from their IPs...

Since FFG breaks up with GW soon and somewhere mid-february or something they stop selling games from their IPs, what are the best FF 40k games I can buy? I already have Relic.

BFG on steam

Chaos in the Old World. Spacehulk card game.

>I already have Relic.

I'm so sorry.

I have Relic too.

not 40k but GW, get Fury of Dracula while it's still under license

Chaos in the Old World, Forbidden Stars, Warhammer Diskwars. Possibly Space Hulk Death Angel if it's your type (VERY different from standard Space Hulk).

Wait, isn't that thing essentially just 40k Talisman?

anyone else hoping for WFRP 4E?

How is talisman?

Slightly more random monopoly

Rogue Trader?

user . . .

No.

It's EXACTLY 40K Talisman.

GW cannot into rules, so now.

>BFG
Aside from the terrible fleet paint system, the way it retcons Tau ship designs, and the fact that Tau are OP, it's an okay BFG simulator.

Also, the setting is dead.

>retcons ship designs
Why? I am no expert in BFG, but they look like the FW fleet.

Give me honest opinion om Warhammer Diskwars. Is it worth it?

After February it becomes 'legal' to spread pdf copies of the 40k rpg's around, right?

This is the real GW IP to gobble up before it disappears in Feb.

Which means long, arbitrary, and boring

The original Tau designs were very boxy, utilitarian, and long.

Now they're this hideous up-scaled Hammerhead thing.

The fuck? I better be quick to get those Warhammer Quest expansions then.

that was the first Tau fleet from geedubs, the FW fleet had the curved, hammerhead/manta-y aesthetic

Never heard of this. Wut?
Fun?

Dark Heresy 2nd Edition. It's the best of the 40k RPGs.

Incredibly fun with the right group.

What, Dark Heresy is from FFG? DIdMy impression from Veeky Forums is that the DH line is quite popular and prolific. A profitable and longrunning IP is gonna get shut down, just because?

I guess geedubs can't help themselves, the fanbase must be fucked over at every turn?

A French Company called Asmodee has acquired FFG rendering the previous contract null and void.

The Asmodee takeover was in 2014, the split in 2016. At least one renewal of the IP occurred in-between. No... All signs point towards GW initiating the split, and rumours abound that Geedubs requested that FFG back out of the miniature game market with their increasingly popular lines like X-wing and Imperial Assault.

Or FFG broke contract with GW either through X-Wing or Rune Wars. There's not currently any evidence either way but they're decent theories.

But X-wing is pre-assembled and pre-painted. It's a different niche. I think it was Rune Wars that made them back out.

that may be but in my opinion nothing of great value was lost. 40k rpg books were getting worse with every new supplement.

40k rpg was dnd in space. Kill stuff and take its stuff. Also as the game line progressed every adversary was made by a line-of-thought about punching it in the face. Just look at Black Crusade and Imperial Inquisitor. That asshole has more hitpoints/ wounds than Nurle's Chosen Space Marine who started with maximum possible wounds and got all wounds upgrades he can get through entire game.

> here is Dark Heresy (not written by FFG).
Here are your adversaries
> Here is Rogue Trader (where you are move powerful)
Here is reprint of adversaries with improved stats so they can represent a challenge (also we need to sell more books)
> Here is Deathwatch
Here is yet another reprint of adversaries (buy more books) with improved stats so they can represent a challenge
> Here is Black Crusade
guess what. We will reprint adversaries again. Hell we will even put orcs, eldar, tau and alike in 4 books that should be solely about 4 chaos gods.

Here is your 1st company veteran psyker who is sent into Deathwatch. Psy rating 3

Here is chaos space marine APPRENTICE. Psy rating 6.

People are giving way too much credit to this game line. I like 40k but this was mostly a cash grab with few good things in it.

>40k rpg was dnd in space. Kill stuff and take its stuff.
I can only assume that, if you played any of these games, you had a shit GM who thought this was DnD in space. The only line that was actually designed to be remotely akin to DnD was Rogue Trader; Dark Heresy is closer to Call of Cthulu, and Deathwatch is closer to XCOM as an RPG.

While the games were broadly designed to co-exist with one another, they were still separate. The disparity between psykers rules across the lines, for example, is because internal balance was more important than making sure you could play a Deathwatch Librarian in Black Crusade or that all of the NPC profiles lined up across all lines.

Hopefully there's something in the contract with FFG that allows GW to continue the RPG line through Black Library or something. Dark Heresy 1e was a product of BL IIRC.

>Dark Heresy is closer to Call of Cthulu, and Deathwatch is closer to XCOM as an RPG.

now this is similar thought process to what I imagine those game lines should be. Unfortunately that doesn't make them so.

> you had a shit GM who thought this was DnD in space
Yes and no. We had a GM who run us a Deathwatch premade campaigns. And I think he ran all of them. And that was horrible experience. And I still remain by my statement it was DnD in space. Also everyone who is in charge in imperium is incompetent or heretic. Probably both. Also we had 6 players for spacemarine squad. GM didn't even tweak the encounters and still it was almost always life or death situation (with burning of fate points left and right)

>Implying GW not being autistic faggots

>It's a different niche.
It's still wargame with non-cllectable miniatures.

>now this is similar thought process to what I imagine those game lines should be. Unfortunately that doesn't make them so.
It literally does. If you've played or read the rules to those games, it should be fairly obvious.

>We had a GM who run us a Deathwatch premade campaigns. And I think he ran all of them. And that was horrible experience.
Sounds like a shit or noob GM to me.

>And I still remain by my statement it was DnD in space.
How so? Were you playing as murderhobos? Were you regularly looting your enemies?

>Also everyone who is in charge in imperium is incompetent or heretic. Probably both.
Welcome to 40k. This makes me curious how much you/your GM know about 40k's fluff. If you're both new to the setting, I can see why this campaign was run as "DnD in space" and why the campaign didn't go well, because, as was stated earlier, the system was not built for that.

>Also we had 6 players for spacemarine squad. GM didn't even tweak the encounters and still it was almost always life or death situation (with burning of fate points left and right)
Deathwatch should be difficult, but not this bad. It sounds like your GM was either running adventures that were rated above your level, or didn't have a very strong grasp of the rules and was unintentionally making encounters more difficult (based on the other things you've described about them and the campaign, I think the latter is more likely).

Asymmetric boardgame where one player is Dracula and the other players are vampire hunters. Basic mechanics is that Dracula has hidden movement, leaving cards representing the cities he's visited as a trail of breadcrumbs. Each of the location cards gets paired with a trap that Dracula has left in the city (Like an ambush or a vampire lair.) If a card moves off the last spot in the trail, it "matures" and an effect occurs like Dracula gaining victory points or the hunters all getting delayed by fog. The hunters are trying to track down and kill Dracula before he wins.

>Deathwatch is closer to XCOM as an RPG.

1 or 2? Because depending on the game you could make the argument for either of them.

I'd say Only War is XCOM, with Deathwatch being XCOM2

I imagine that depends on your difficulty level, XCOM on lower difficulties could easily be Deathwatch, with one team of unstoppable super soldiers stomping their way through the whole game; higher difficulty XCOM would definitely be a Only War-esque meatgrinder.

The newer XCOM games are closer to Deathwatch. For an Only War proxy, I would point to the original XCOM games from the 90s. Larger squad sizes, more easily replaceable soldiers, more lethal combat.

Or the Long War mod for Enemy Unknown.