Genuine question: Why do people like the Ultramarines?

Genuine question: Why do people like the Ultramarines?

They seem incredibly generic to me. And they have a faction name like a Saturday morning cartoon hero squad. I just don't see their appeal at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4VXUDlcr0qI
youtube.com/watch?v=MUCzFFrMM9I
youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo
youtube.com/watch?v=YgLrg2cuADA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Vanilla is a flavor too, and lots of people like their greco-roman aesthetic.

That was intentional, as they're meant to be the generic marines

I like them because tacticool space Romans.

Their name is a cheesy colour pun

Imperial Fists are also kinda generic, aside from muh walls. But they're not the posterboys and didn't get the Ward treatment.

Guiliman was a neat Primarch. A bit lacking in raw combat prowess when compared with the other Primarchs, but he was the guy who kept the supply lines up, cared about the average Joe (Not Salamander-tier, but he didn't just slaughter everyone), made good battleplans and so forth. #

Their paintjob looks nice, and I think the Honour Guard looks just awesome.

wasn't it the word bearers?
or the black legion?

I'm personally not much of a fan of them if they're kept to their vanilla appearance, but if you factor in all of the Roman flavor they can actually end up looking really cool. Most Ultramarines fans will cite the Roman influence as the source of their appeal.

Word Bearers. Their Primarch ruined everything.

Because poncy britfags wet themselves at the thought of incredibly generic cartoon hero squads.

30k ultramarines actually have a ton of character and really interesting rules, they're surprisingly enough not the vanilla option of 30k

40k ultramarines are pretty boring I agree

Cool colour scheme. Lots of support.

DELET EREBUS REEEEEEEEEEE

For all the reasons people like Space Marines. Personally, I can't comprehend the appeal, but apparently SMs are what get most people into 40k.

An Ultramarine got on his knees and bowed his head to a retired guardsman who fought alongside him in the past. He honoured the mortal man and showed him respect in the most humble of ways.

Give me ONE similar example from any chapter. You can't.

>And they have a faction name like a Saturday morning cartoon hero squad.
is that supposed to be unique. This is 40k.

Most eldar players can't even pronounce their craftworld names.

why does this picture use nougat twice instead of ending with "satisaction"?

ultramarines are basically freedom, justice, and the american way.

in space.

Wasn't there a scene where the Crimson Fists evacuated from a city, and a woman and her child followed them? They let her get off planet with them, if she could keep up with their pace. After some time she couldn'T do it anymore and asked them to at least save her child. The Captain/Chaptermaster turns around and carries them both to safety, impressed by her.
But I'm not sure if it was them, and if that actually happened. But I recall reading it somewhere.

What has all this to do with Kharn though?

It was during the defence of Rynn's World, which is featured in the novel of the same name.

I personally don't like them (or at least don't prefer them over other chapters) but the only reason people hate them so bad is because of Ward. If he didn't give them a lot of preference in the codex, people would at worst think they're just bland.

But people do have plenty of reasons to like them.
>1. They're basically just space marines with nothing else attached, so people go there if they don't like the other chapter's extra fluff.
>2. Greco-Roman spessmehn aesthetic is pretty cool.
>3. They're the posterboys, so people see 40k and see them as the most iconic faction.
>4. Since most box sets come with marines and stuff to kit them as ultramarines, a lot of people started with ultramarines, so they still run them.
>5. One of the few legitimately good guy factions, though you could argue they're very much about tough love and often "the greater good."
>6. Marines are cool.
>7. Ultramarine is a nice color.

So people have reason to enjoy them. Regardless of whether you like them or not, don't bother people who do play them. We all have our own preferences.

They're tacticool professional praetorians who bring their A game to every battle, regardless of how shitty the battle is. They're so awesome the mere thought of them collectively gathered in one place made Horus shit his pants.

Before Matt Ward fucked it all up Ultramarines where the roman space marines.

Ultramarines in 30k are cool as well. The vanilla faction that manages to do as well as any other more specialized army, while being regular.

They have the underdog appeal.

How are they different in 40k and who is the generic choice there?

Ultramarines a actually cobalt. Ya fuck.

What? Pre-ward they were literally generic blue marines with vague hints of ancient greekness who got shat on by the Tyranids constantly in that one edition. It wasn't until post-Ward that they became known as the uber space Romans.

Because better long ranged heavy support siege breakers than the iron warriors and better dedicated elite assault unit than the world eaters.

Why are Ultramarines considered "generic"?

They seem to be pretty special and out of the norm to me

>Control whole systems

>"rule" over a fistful of other successor chapters

>Spiritial lieges of Codexman yet they violate the codex with the Tyrannic war veterans

Crimson Fists, Imperial Fists, Raven Guard etc... all seem more "normal" or "regular" Space Marine chapters to me.

close enough, cool enough

They're the glocks of Space Marines - ever dependable, ever versatile, and ever so boring and straightforward to the avant garde neckbeardthusiast.

>NO I WANT THE 1911 OF SPACE MARINES THATS WHY I LIKE LAMENTERS

>Why are Ultramarines considered "generic"?
because that's the label people typically attack popular things with, bereft of any actual criticism

I think it's just that they've been presented as such. They adhere to the rules (most of the time), they're on the cover of every codex, box set, and game they can be on, and they have a playstyle that doesn't have anything insanely out there (at least in 40k terms) about it. If they weren't on as many covers and Ward didn't love them, they'd be one of the most beloved factions on Veeky Forums for sure.

But user Lamenters are the Automag of Space Marines

Dark Angles are the 1911

> The entirety of the Lamenters.

Not sure what exactly you're arguing about, given that a post in the reply chain was deleted, but the Lamenters love civilians/normal mortals to an actually retarded degree. Hell, they might actually go above Salamander tier. Ultramarines are pretty fine bros though.

I wish GW changed the standard of "generic Space Marine" to another chapter, much like they've done with Tau, which are now mostly white instead of orange

Being retarded doesn't make you kinder. It just makes you disadvantaged and easily taken advantaged of, which is why they're all fucking dead.

Because best legion for 10 year olds

there's still 300, we can totally survive guys

Dark Angels seem pretty popular. But I might be wrong.

>OP genuinely curious why people consider Ultramarines non-generic and appealing
>OP wasn't rude
>fuck that "OP IS SUCH A FUCKING HIPSTER FAGGOT, FUCKING KEK HAS NO REEL CRITISISSMM"

Y'see user, this is why we can't have nice things or nice people.

those paints are t h i c c af

they do seem to be moving to them a bit. dark vengeance is easily the best set to get into 40k with, and dark angels are the protagonists of that.

if they did shift the posterboy position over it would probably be to them.

Buddy, their retardation takes the form of trying to save everyone they see. They're idiots who don't seem to think in the long-term, but you can't deny that they are completely dedicated to helping the normal people of the Imperium.

Yes but I mean I wish they picked a different chapter to be the "generic box art marines" for every generic model, other than the Ultramarines.

Just any other codex abiding chapter.

>Why are Ultramarines considered "generic"?
Because not only are they populous, but if you look at the Ultramarine design it tends to have much less detail than many other legions. As such, you can basically by the blues in bulk, swap sone heads around, and make another legion. It was easiest to do this with the Ultramarines vs other legions.

On top of that, their simple design was intentionally made to be easier to paint and help encourage younger players. They are the "base level marine:" they're numerous, good at just about everything, and have a simpler design. By comparison, the other legions look like specialized blues with specialized jobs.

I.e., if you took many other legions, removed some details, and painted them blue, they'd look like Ultramarines.

Does that make sense? I'm a tired so I feel like the above is a bit redundant.

>If they weren't on as many covers and Ward didn't love them, they'd be one of the most beloved factions on Veeky Forums for sure.
People hating on smurfs is older than this site, man. It's much older than ward's involvement in GW, too.

At least, I remember it being a thing during 2e, when blood angels were the face of the marines and the ones in the starter set. If I were to hazard a guess as to why, it's because of the four big chapters marketed at the time, the ultramarines aren't particularly edgy. The wolves have their viking nonconformist attitude, the dark angels have the hunt for the fallen and the blood angels have the black rage. The smurfs don't have dark brooding secrets and are essentially just the captain america of the space marines. And grogs hate untarnished heroic figures in their grimdark fantasy.

that makes sense sadly

i love blood angels and i enjoy dark angels and space wolves, but having the ultramarines not be edgy is one of their appeals in my opinion. it feels like they're still an organized force under the rules who have kept their cool always while everyone else is a badass renegade with mild insanity.

never really thought about it like that i guess. that's a good perspective on the whole situation.

Yeah, I agree. It's why they always had fans. They're space marines without any frills.

>that's a good perspective on the whole situation
To add onto my previous post, that's why these days you'll see so much weird vocal love towards nobody chapters like the lamenters, flesh tearers and space sharks. Nerds love dysfunctional retards.

>At least, I remember it being a thing during 2e, when blood angels were the face of the marines and the ones in the starter set. If I were to hazard a guess as to why, it's because of the four big chapters marketed at the time, the ultramarines aren't particularly edgy. The wolves have their viking nonconformist attitude, the dark angels have the hunt for the fallen and the blood angels have the black rage. The smurfs don't have dark brooding secrets and are essentially just the captain america of the space marines. And grogs hate untarnished heroic figures in their grimdark fantasy.
Don't forget that 2e is also where they become The Greatest of All Space Marines™©(®)

- Blue color scheme
- Certain company color combos (blue and white, blue and gold)
- Lots of gold bling
- Lots of eagles and shit
- Roman motif
- Have their own stable empire
- Don't need special snowflake theme from chapter like werewolves or vampire
- Famous/highly competent characters like Telion

If none of those appeal to you then yeah you won't like Ultramarines, And if you hate some of them then you'll hate Ultramarines. It shouldn't be hard for a reasonable person to figure out why someone might like one or more of the above things.

Trust me when I say that wasn't something people cared about or really noticed at the time. The vitriol was because they were seen as being too "kiddie" by the angsty teens of the time.

Did someone say ultramarines?

Is this supposed to be funny?

Generic is probably the wrong word. "Ubiquitous" is more like it.

I loved their 2nd Edition feel; they were Space Romans who weren't just going around putting out fires or storming space hulks but had their own system and empire-within-the-empire.

I always felt like GW should rotate a list of the more "standard" marines for each box cover to give other chapters more exposure and avoid over-saturating one chapter in particular. Ultras one box, DAngels the next, Imperial/Crimson Fists after that, etc.

>cheesy color pun
>Ultra Marine
>Ultramarine

HOW DID I ONLY JUST NOTICE THIS

When did the Ultramarines become the poster boys anyway? 4th Edition?

I just really like blue, I thought the green details were nice so I painted up 4th company.

Funny thing is I didn't learn about Ventris for years

user pls

mon-keigh = monkey

Possibly around the time it was decided that the first vanilla Space Marine codex should be called Codex Ultramarines.

Yeah, 4th company has the most alpha scheme.

Holy Sly Marbo user, your paints!

youtube.com/watch?v=4VXUDlcr0qI

I CAN FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME!

It is not a good pain....

Same reason you felt a need to single them out instead asking something like "Why do people like White Scars".

>"Why do people like the White Scars?"
This song describes why.
youtube.com/watch?v=MUCzFFrMM9I

The fuck is that happy ass gay faggy shit? This is real throat singing

youtube.com/watch?v=1rmo3fKeveo

youtube.com/watch?v=YgLrg2cuADA

I want to go to mongolia now

It's mandated in the EULA you signed the instant you bought any GW products.
Matt Ward personally microprinted the EULA on each product.

When they are portrayed as the Space Romans that they rarely ever are, they become tolerable.

Salamanders are the...HK VP9's?

Imperial Guards are Tauruses, for sure.

>Lamenters
>1911
No.
That's Imperial Fists.
Old, but still reliable and useful.

Lamenters are much rarer, more like an early 20th century self-loading pistol that was reliable and way ahead of it's time but got fucked over by all the other guns coming out when they were throwing random shit at the walls.

Or they could be Browning Hi-Powers. That seems fitting.