What do you think about female solar deities and male moon deities?

What do you think about female solar deities and male moon deities?

What is there to think about it?

>2016
>Your deities are not shapeless Lovecraftian entities beyond our comprehension.
Step it up OP.

Well, traditionally, the moon is linked with femininity because of the menstrual cycle, the "swelling" of the moon from dark to full being reminiscent of pregnancy, and a few other thematic links. While the sun is often associated with masculinity as light is seen as a penetrative thing, and because it's bright and showy, and across the animal kingdom it's generally males who try harder to attract attention and display themselves.

But you can spin it the other way. You do you, user.

Sure, why not? While it's more common throughout mythology to do it the other way around, female suns and male moons do exist. Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi from Shinto, for example. Sol and Mani from Norse myth, too.

I had that in one campaign. Each element had a duality god representing it. The sun goddess, the passive aspect of Fire, was raped by the Moon God, aggressive aspect of Water, and stole some of her light.

In retaliation she bound the aggressive Fire God aspect into a weapon, usurped his portfolio, and blew up the moon causing terrible storms to wrack the world as the passive Water Goddess mourned the corpse of her brother.

>It's common the other way around.
Greek, Aztec, Roman, Mayan, and a bunch more would like to talk to you.

The Shinto version also made the birth of the other gods into the male moon catching and raping the female sun. Fun stuff.

>What do you think of Dark Souls

I think they make stars when they love each other very much,

Learn to read.

Idiot, the greeks sun god was Apollo (god) or Helios (titan), moon goddess Artemis (god) or Selene (titan) their roman aspects were Diana, and well Apollo, don't know the Roman titans.

At least it won't be literally the current year for much longer.

>his deities are shapeless Lovecraftian entities beyond our comprehension
Grow up sometime.

>Dark Souls
>male moon deities

>What do you think about female solar deities
hot

If it was good enough for the Norse, it's good enough for me.

user, I...

And, you know, the man in the moon.

He counts.

There are certainly cultures that viewed it that way: the middle-eastern paganism that inspired Islamic culture so much for one. I'm not sure why the moon seemed masculine for them as the view described seems more straight forward.

Don't ruin it for him.

Norse, Japanese, Chinese....

>his deities aren't guys in polo shirts fucking each other and mortals over

Which is also incest since they're bother and sister.

Izanagi and Izanami weren't the Shinto sun and moon gods, user. The sun and moon gods were among their children.

Tolkien did it so it's not like it's unheard of in fantasy.

All deities should be male as females are inferior and lack the divine spark.

>knocking the classics

user, Mother Earth is called that for a reason, as is the Mother of Monsters.

Nothing wrong with that. There have been plenty of female sun and male moon gods in history.

I personally like my celestial gods done traditionally, but fleshing out their roles in your setting should be your first priority. Shitty lore undermines any design no matter how pretty.

The moon is the biggest thing in the sky at night, of course it's male.

It happens in myths

Gender is a HUMAN social construct, stop imposing your beliefs on celestial bodies.

t. triggered planetkin

2nordic4me

A great many of Brazilian's indigenous people (altrough it isn't as glamuous as those you listed).
A male moon is actually pretty common (some times paired with a male sun, his brother)

Counter-argument; one can view the sun as feminine due to its role as life-giver, nurturer and a source of warmth (literal in the case of the sun, metaphorical in the case of women as wives and mothers). The moon, meanwhile, is associated with complex but regular patterns in the form of the lunar calendar and the tides, hence linking it to rationality and orderliness, in turn traditionally associated with masulinity. In addition, the moon's cold light and the sometimes overbearing heat of the sun could be likened to traditional ideas about emotional expression with regards to the two sexes. While I don't think this is a common interpretation, I don't think it's an unreasonable one either.

Also, historically, there have been cultures with sun goddesses and moon gods. Japan, with Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi, for example.

I strongly prefer the opposite. The sun is better than the moon, so it makes more sense that it should be male in a patriarchal society (ie all succesful societies). Also the moon has phases and changes that make the tides go mad, basically like a woman and her periods.

But there's plenty examples of female sun and male moon, nothing wrong with having it.

But wasn't Tsukiyomi the opposite of rationality and order?

Or maybe I shouldn't base me knowledge of Japan on l5r

She's hot, and he's a lunatic.

I prefer the opposite really

I dont know why but I always compare the moon with females.

I can't say I'm terribly well read on the subject either, I only really know about the Uke Mochi incident. Which, yes, isn't all that rational, but at the same time, I don't think murderous anger and grievance is a fairly common feature among mythological women.

That, and I didn't mean for the two arguments to be connected. I just stated my own reasoning on the subject and then went to provide an example of the whole female sun, male moon arrangement without realising that other anons had done it first.

Which was followed in the Legend of the Five Rings rpg, where the Heavens were ruled by Lord Moon and Lady Sun.
Who I think at some point got replaced by two random NPCs who then later got kicked out of their positions (probably for having way too much hate sex.)

In Nahuitl (Aztec) myth of the 5 Suns not all of the 5 Suns were male. The goddess Chalcuhuiwhatever went 4th but drowned the world in her tears.

Huitzilipochtli seems to exist parallel to this myth for some reason.

In Mayan myth the Sun was for a time replaced by a giant demonic Macaw called the Seven Macaw.

In Nahuitl (Aztec) myth of the 5 Suns not all of the 5 Suns were male. The goddess Chalcuhuiwhatever went 4th but drowned the world in her tears.

Huitzilipochtli seems to exist parallel to this myth for some reason.

In Mayan myth the Sun was for a time replaced by a giant demonic Macaw called the Seven Macaw.

In ancient Germanic religion, the sun was female and the moon was male. Things only swapped around (including among the Anglo-Saxons) because of the influence of Latin culture and Christianity.

Whatever floats your boat, OP

>Huitzilipochtli

How to you pronounce that?

In my Setting the Sun deity is a mother like being but in the same way a tad twisted as she mothers everything and lets her children fight because "oh kids will be kids", so don't care really so long as there is life

The Moon is a Father figure who forces order and "If you want to better yourself you need discipline and step beyond base instincts"

I think gods or deities having genders is dumb. They should be beyond our understanding of the universe in every way.

It's actually pretty easy, it's just a long name. But I can't understand how anglos give pronunciation indications considering english spelling rules are super random.

Pretty much all polytheistic traditions agree that you're the dumb one.

> concept used to personify and rationalize the world we live in
> making them more like people is dumb
I mean, if you're talking about REAL gods, sure, but what does that even mean?

I'm perfectly fine with that.

>I can't understand how anglos give pronunciation indications
We don't. You're expected to learn how each individual word is pronounced.

Dark Souls.

Bloodborne.

>[try holding with both hands].jpg

Dark Souls is a bad example. Gwyndolin's entire situation is caused by the moon being considered a feminine power.

Hwit-zil-ipok-tli

Tolkien did it, so that's good enough for me

>tfw no qt valarauko gf

Why even live in this fallen age?

At this point, both the standard cliche (sun god moon goddess) and subversion of the cliche (sun goddess moon god) have become so standard that neither is original. Maybe do both same gender? Or if you're not in a group that will scream Tumblr at the first sight of any kind of "alternative" gender type stuff maybe throw in some androgynous/hermaphroditic/genderfluid deities or something? It's not really uncommon in myth.

> His deities are shapeless lovecraftian abominations, and by merging with magically created artifical minds we are beginning to understand them

> And they us

Best end?

Sure alright. Why not?