Think of an album. Got one? Good

Think of an album. Got one? Good.
Your next campaign is set in a setting inspired by said album. What is the setting, sand what is the plot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MJxGQ6yTNoU
youtube.com/watch?v=KjrKrvF7JDA
youtube.com/watch?v=inyPruVpASs
youtu.be/6AotSwDs4aA
youtube.com/watch?v=VPhUcbf79_c
youtube.com/watch?v=_Ew-RdhmiKI
youtube.com/watch?v=SFfrthBpqQA
youtube.com/watch?v=YXmU5YR6ymE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Allegaeon-Proponent for Sentience.

The players are a group who is trying to fight back against the quickly and seemingly inevitable conception of AI using a combination of social interactions (and potentially subterfuge) because they see the likely path that AI will lead us down.

Would be fun, Id play it.

>Discovery by Daft Punk

Well shit. I'd just go with the plot and story of Interstellar 5555. Come to think of it that would be pretty dope.

>Nightfall in Middle-Earth
I can't make proper justice to the setting

David Bowie- Ziggy Stardust

Setting is the World of Darkness in 1972. Players are a group of Hunters who've been investigating the mysterious "Starman" for several years, only for the being to suddenly present itself on-stage and gain thousands of fans overnight.
Intrigue and negotiation to gain help from other Hunter groups and try and infiltrate the circles of the band mostly, but will eventually blow into an enormous riot/battle against True Fey Bowie and his fans (as in the song Ziggy Stardust).

>Late '80s/early '90s noir+++ depressing street plot. Probably made in Fiasco or something like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=MJxGQ6yTNoU

>alien messiah comes from space and tells everyone Earth is going to end in 5 years.
I can see how easily this can be made a cult

youtube.com/watch?v=KjrKrvF7JDA

>The future ain't what it used to be.

>Used to have it all-- a desk job, a nice pod apartment overlooking the 3rd Sector, a loving family.
>Things were looking up, but...
>Megacorps took all of it, one way or another. Layoffs, evictions, aug reclaimers. In that order.
>Barely slipped through their grasp. Ran to the Gutters.
>Had enough for a pistol, and a pack of stim-cigs. Broke the bank.

>Been a month since. I survive off of discarded soy packets, stim-cigs and ten-credit rounds with the local street girls.
>Crashed with some hanzers. Call themselves "sympathizers" and "rebels of the digital front". I dunno about all that, but they're alright.
>Gonna get revenge 'n' take what's mine, just you wait. Those jackboot fucks won't know what hit 'em.
>Just gotta get my cig money, is all...

Unto the locust by Machine Head. Hm, Demonic apocalypse in the from of a world destroying swarm of locusts. I can work with this.

I was actually going to do something like this for a short Jojo campaign, with the setting following the album Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.

>Carmen Miranda's Ghost by Leslie Fish
The players are freedom fighters struggling to keep their sector of space free from an alliance that has already unified the rest of the Human Sphere. Over time, it becomes clear that no matter how many ships they destroy, their way of life is dying. The game ends with them defending the one thing they hold sacred and then disappearing into the far reaches of the galaxy. Picture the movie Shane but with more spaceships.

No one was left who could remember how it had happened -- how the world had fallen under darkness -- or at least, no one who could do anything.

No one who could oppose the robots. No one who could challenge their power.

Or so Dr. Wily believed . . .

The PCs are the heroes left in man.

>Fantasy Empire - Lightning Bolt
The elves have machine guns.
The gnomes have machine guns.
The dwarves have machine guns.
The halflings have machine guns.
The BBEG has machine guns.
The wizard has machine guns.
The townsfolk have machine guns.
Everything is machine guns.

Solarkult

The setting is your average cyberpunk world, the difference being that ritual magic exists but very few people know about it.

The PCs are satanic teknoshamans who must carry out a mission SataN revealed to them during a drug overdose. To this end, they must hijack the wifi system and broadcast the Luxifer meme across the world, which will make those who receive it mutate into monsters, and plunge the world into anarchy. Their goal is to take advantage of the resulting chaos to steal a nuke and trigger a global nuclear war, and to survive it so that they can enslave the remnants of humanity with their psychic powers.

That's pretty much literally what the album is about.

Everyone is a member of a barbarian tribe, barely iron age tech. The setting is very Conanesque, with no non-humans that aren't animals or monsters. The plot has them discover the ruins of a pre-Cataclysm civilization, and the steel weapons they had, leading to their tribe becoming conquerors and eventually ruling an empire of their own.

>Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards

Looks like we playing Stars Without Numbers boys!

good shit

>BBEG brought about the apocalypse
>rules over a pitiful empire of peasants
>they don't really care
>he doesn't really care
>the end changes nothing
I can work with this.

>2112

The party of human creatives and individuals fight to tear down the oppressive Solar Federation and its cabal of soulless, stiff priests while chasing rumors and dreams of the elder race of man.

>Mastodon- Blood Mountain

Warband of chosen heroes travels through a magical portal to a mountainous hellscape full of maneaters, would-be heroes gone mad, cysquatches, living forests of birchmen, pterodactyls, and, at the top, a crystal alien skull that can save their world from an ancient curse.

Players would have to survive frigid climates and eke out their existence on the mountain so survival mechanics would be incorporated to account for deathly cold and limited resources.

Setting would be dark fantasy with minimal worldbuilding/storytelling a la Dark Souls. Boss encounters would be themed after certain tracks from Mastodon's collected works.

>memestodon

>memeing on musical tastes on any board other than /mu/

youtube.com/watch?v=inyPruVpASs

Journey through the vastness of space in search of the ultimate drug. Characters are citizens of the galactic federation who got sick of the hypertrchnological life of the near planets and their Virtual Insanity, venture out to find this mythical place where they can live in nature and comunne with the universe. Their only clue, notes, drawings and poems from, supposedly, the journal of the legendary Space Cowboy, rumored to be the only one to find the ultimate drug, the Morning Glory, and return to tell the tale. But are the journal, the Cowboy, the planet and the Morning Glory even real? Or are they going on a wild goose chase? Does it even matter, or is the journey more important than the destination?

Also, their ship is bright purple and kinda resembles a Lamborghini.

A matriarchal cult of WhitchyWhitchy White Women seizes control of a small city-state from the shadows and begin waging war on the neighboring nations, rapidly expanding into an Evil Empire, while seeking a suitor worthy of providing the base to their goddess, so Lovers Beware. They've enacted a dense spy network made up of common submissive knaves to heartbeats and brainwaves. They get out of trouble with a cover up, some greasy lawyers, and some lies, and are capable of taking out Washing-ton or New York, and then they'll take out Palestine. Obviously they're going to be using some dark magics to give themselves the edge and to keep their mind slaves under control, playing some real Dirty Ball.

>youtu.be/6AotSwDs4aA
>Devil's Carnival
I guess I'd go with some idiots getting trapped in Hell and have to escape, but with heavy circus/carnival themes. Demonic circus performers are always fun.

Space 1992 by My brother of a diferent Mother.

Gunship - Gunship
Well, the voice over for technoir gives a pretty good campaign hook for a neon soaked post apocalyptic game.

I'm recording this, because this could be the last thing I'll ever say
The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion
A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire
I'm not sorry, we had it coming
A surge of white-hot atonement will be our wake-up call
Hope for our future is now a stillborn dream
The bombs begin to fall and I'm rushing to meet my love
Please, remember me
There is no more

The Sword-Warp Riders
Gonna be a Rogue Trader campaign, obviously. Maybe cross it with Dark Heresy and have them be the delivery boys for horrific evil artifacts for the big =]I[=

the entirety of Veeky Forums's musical taste is memes
i mean people actually listen to fucking alestorm and nightwish here

>The Best, The Rest, The Rare - Helloween

Welp.

Fantastic taste.

WELP

Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity

So the pc's are basically travelling through what is essentially space if the universe did acid, with the BBEG being a sentient planet

oh yeah, and "dead christmas", that song doesn't fit but hey, they probably celebrate christmas on the BBEG planet

My brethren of African-American decent

>Stop enjoying things I don't like

I've seen Helloween, Electric Six, and David Bowie.

Far from shit taste imo

>Electric Six
TPK via drug overdose 30 minutes in

Top tier
This guy gets it

This almost seems like cheating here. Players would investigate weird goings on, and slowly uncover some sort of conspiracy.
Delta Green game perhaps.

youtube.com/watch?v=VPhUcbf79_c

>AC/DC -Fly on the Wall

JoJo-esque private investigators repeatedly solve the Case Of The Week by hanging out in sleazy bars, taking to the right people, busting the right heads, and getting drunk at the right times.

Futuristic dystopia with some sort of war going on. Each part represents a different Act for the war.

My nigguh

Oh and setting also has a baroque aesthetic going on.

Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

With songs like Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant, I'm set for an ultra low magic medieval campaign.

> Fear Factory: Demanufacture
> A concept album about a man who hates the oppressive government/society machine and wants to destroy it.
Cyberpunk game.

> Obsolete
> Second campaign in the setting.
> Terminator-style Rise of the Machines setting; the government machine is now literal. One cyborg, a freedom fighter/terrorist runs from the government machines while doing as much damage as he can and struggling with motivation because he's fighting a losing battle.
That would actually be a pretty good cyberpunk game, if not for the depressing rock opera ending.

> Digimortal
> Third campaign in the setting
> Man and machine have merged, the lines between the two blurring. Immortality is possible for the rich, through transferring memories and soul into clones grown specifically for the purpose, which are actually people in their own right before that.
The PCs could be escaped clones, finding identity while literally clones of someone else. The same someone else; you're not special snowflakes, you're all clones of the same rich fuck.

Pathfinder, but set in the neon tropics where it seems like it's always sunset/early evening.

Players are seedy smuggler types
who get wrapped up in drug lord
and dirty cop intrigue. They either make a big score and ride off into the night or go full Hotline Miami and clean house.

>Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways

The PCs are a group of friends down on their luck in their little corner of the USA. Rather than sit around and mope about it they say, "Fuck these gay lives," and go on a road trip around the entire country. Along the way they find themselves making new friends (and enemies), helping out with (or causing) local troubles, and getting a new perspective on their country and themselves.

Actually fuck the campaign, road trip time.

>Queen II
But someone already did that.

Continuation never ;_;

You too? Holy shit.

Also, who would you play as? Spaceknights that survived the fall of Titan, bodyguards of Angus McFife XIII or someone else?

This is an odd one. Lots of the songs are comfy but mournful and some seem to talk about dark but idle thoughts. Travel is a minor theme.

A more modern Dogs in the Vineyard maybe, drifting between the crystal spires of a not-to-distant future and finding out how people can still hurt each other in a post scarcity civilisation?

Emphasis on the PC's relationships within and without the party, they're on a journey to bring both themselves and a restless continent peace.

Ayreon- Into the Electric Castle
Man, I just have to follow the Album. Strangers from multiple points in time wake up to find themselves in a strange magical Labyrinth and a mysterious voice tells them they have to reach it's center and get to the Electric castle if they want to go home. And not all of them will survive!

>The Protomen - Act 2 (currently playing)

This ought to be real good.

Time for a double campaign.

I was listening to this so I guess it counts:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Ew-RdhmiKI

Also, it was for inspiration for a KULT campaign I'm preparing. The PCs will be detectives/ parents/ journalists tracking a gang of (not entirely human) child traffickers

>Dead Can Dance, Spiritchaser

Fading Suns, of course, like everything DCD. THIS album would be a good idea for a lost planet campaign, they even are for a good part oceanic worlds.

>The Lonesome Crowded West- Modest Mouse
Uhh..give me a minute on this one.

Blue Oyster Cult - Fire of Unknown Origin

The players are the Sole Survivors and Veterans of the Psychic Wars. A series of devastating wars caused by Joan Crawford that left the planet a blasted wasteland whose only other inhabitants are mutants. The PCs have formed a Pact of Vengeance against Joan Crawford, who has risen from the grave.

disintegration by the cure
huh
well

August and Everything After - Counting Crows

I'm not sure what it would be but I know it would be kind of depressing

Dangerous Days, Perturbator.

Its shadowrun. Das it.

Ah shit, Text didn't post.

>DTD 7th Ed, 40000.
>SCOTLAND FOREVER

>Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers

Sounds like I'm going to be running a hip-hop wuxia game.

The game is about a group of people working in a very safe corporate setting when everything goes wrong for them. I'm thinking something like Philip K Dick getting shot in the brain by a pink Jesus ray and suddenly realizing that he's living in the Roman Empire. Something goes wrong, either in the mind or in the world, and they're left to navigate a world where the kind of schizophrenic magical thinking actually works. The antagonists would be more or less everyone else at first. Because people who aren't bound into a particular faction or worldview showing up is profoundly disruptive to a world that is like spiders waltzing in a vast network of vibrating wires suspended in 4th dimensional psychic jelly upon which everything real hangs like beads.

The album isn't that crazy though.

>Blackstar

Pretty much like the music video for the title track.

A very desolate weird place which seems 'out of time' along with very heavy overtones that Death is near.

my current campaign is literally set in OP's pic

Fuuuck. Any suggestions?

>mfw I was seriously thinking of going with Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory
>Although that could be interesting, too
Doesn't really matter what historical context the campaign is in, but everything has a disco or motown aesthetic orientation.
The campaign's a murder mystery (go figure), with the case headed by an easily distracted loose-cannon bard. The group gradually finds out they're being framed for a string of crimes, and have to reprimand their past actions as they get closer to finding the culprit.

So shadow run?

Shadowrun but with more rap-magic

I think more Cyber punk 2077 isant there an entire song about battling androids?

>Stars Without Numbers
leave the hall

The players must fight every member of Wu-Tang Clan in 36 encounters.

The last chamber is Ol' Dirty Bastards Ghost and RZA/GZA share a chamber

>youtube.com/watch?v=SFfrthBpqQA

The players each committed some terrible sin while alive and are now on a train to hell. It's a giant fucking train, with each car being the size of a city block. At each stop they have to uncover/remember/come to terms with their sins and get together enough cash to buy a ticket to the next stop. They may or may not encounter death, the Devil, angels, and demons.

Each PC is some form of undead, even if they don't realize it yet.

I'd set it sometime between 1860 and 1910.

>Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction

This is going to be some fucked up shit.

Alestorm and Nightwish are memes what?

>Hawkwind, Warrior On The Edge Of Time

Both of these are going to be like Moorcock novels, saying as how he wrote lyrics for both bands. BOC was called the American Hawkwind.

black human bard/rogue tries to [Perform] his way to riches while avoiding town guards and rival bards/rogues who all have max spot
accompanied by his homies who try to capitalize on his 8 skill points a level

Every kind of metal that isn't Thrash, Death, or Traditional is a meme.

Wrong, you have metal and rock and then you have fags trying to be special snow flakes. And not a cool fag like Rob Halford.

>metalfags

I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say. Are you really saying Carcass and DragonForce should be considered the same genre of music with no more distinction than that?

I'd play it. Samurai Champloo kinda stuff would be run too.

Saying you should like Judas Priest, Motorhead & Black Sabbath. Some genres are justified but Doom, Sludge, Grunge and all other stupid shit like that is a detraction to the genre as a whole.

That's exactly what I'm saying. Thrash, Death, and Traditional (which is stuff Like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath) are fine. Pretty much anything else is meme music.

Ah, not going to lie, I'm on a massive fucking come down. I can barely see.

>Tfw Tales From the Kingdom of Fife
>Tfw high magic satirical fantasy
Noice.

>I don't like it
>Therefore it is a meme
Ishygddt

>grunge
>metal
not only are you a genre elitist you don't even know what genres you're trying to be elitist about

BROTHER!

That was my very first thought as well.

Grunge is just slowed down punk. It adds or changes nothing.

No idea what system this'd be.

The story would probably be the party breaking free from a generic dystopia setting through some major shock.

They'd probably be tasked with investigating into things and maybe at the end staging a worldwide revelation.

Not the worst campaign idea, but not the most original either.

I would play the shit out of an L5R or wuxia game based on Wu-Tang.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXmU5YR6ymE

Pls explain lol. is that a bad thing? i normally frequent Veeky Forums so i don't honestly go to /mu/

I-is Trivium a meme

it'd be a p sick campaign. Samurai, dark, foggy bogs and swamps. Black forests stretching for whole continents. Icy wastelands and snowcapped mountains. Raging seas. Creatures from both Japanese and Greek myth roaming everywhere.

The decemberists hazards of love. So, the main villian is a high level druid. Aided by a high level rogue. DMPC is a druid too maybe? On a quest to save a cleric from the rogue while being pursued by the evil druid. Actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Mankind is ill prepared for this.

>The album's concept is about a man who is betrayed by religion and turns away from it in anger.[1] The dark forces of nature reach out to this enraged man and use him as their vessel to bring death and destruction to Earth. He is commanded to travel to a desert, where he is given visions that reveal the truth of humanity, and warp his mind further to make him the "Stormrider". After the destruction of the world, he is then damned forever into the depths of Hell, also referenced as the River Styx. After being forever damned and taunted by evil spirits, he eventually sees what he has done, and realizes that it is too late to repent.

whats the level adjustment for being a melanin enriched individual

>PCs are Reaper pilots committing sekrit assassinations for the CIA/MI6/DGSE
>Endgame is they become androids and nuke the fuck out of the world

Bit basic, but could be hella fun I am an unabashed Musefag.