Tonberries are now a race in Shadowrun, appearing from a Komodo dragon S.U.R.G.E

Tonberries are now a race in Shadowrun, appearing from a Komodo dragon S.U.R.G.E.
If they are sentient enough to hire, how would they do in the setting? How would you balance them as a playable race?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ThgGIMZz7y0&t=6s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They come awaked as mystic adepts with a point in magic, costs 30BP to be one.

Body 1 - 6
Agility 1 - 6
Reaction 1 - 5
Strength 2 - 7
Charisma 1 - 6
Intuition 2 - 7
Logic 1 - 5
Willpower 2 - 7
Edge 1 - 6
Magic 1 - 6

I'm not familiar with Shadowrun's stating system, but shouldn't magic be a 1-7? Some can do damage based on how many steps you've taken throughout the entire game so it seems they're capable of pretty good, if oddly specific spell.

they gain a special attack that gets slowly more powerful the more unhurried steps(no Initiative passes) they take between initiation and landing the attack

IIRC they have pretty high base defense so maybe have them as a BOD-3 or BOD-4 starter

But tonberries are fish?

Can't speak for the stats, but they'd be the new chefs in the block, and kill people on the side. Ofcourse, noone expects them to be the ones behind the recent plague of puncture-wounds on fresh corpses around the back-alleys at first. That is clearly the work of some crazy shadowrunner gone wacky in the implants.

This. And all those people dying from magic are just Mage victims.
Ok.

Don't these guys just walk slowly toward you and occasionally stab you for karmically appropriate damage? That'd never work in Shadowrun; you can't have things that are fair or based on justice in a dystopian setting.

>Don't these guys just walk slowly toward you and occasionally stab you for karmically appropriate damage?
Actually in some games Chef's Knife seems to be either a one shot, or deals massive damage ignoring defense.
Karma is literally the move that does damage based on how many kills you have under your belt, they also have a move that deals damage based on how many steps you've taken. No not recently, in the entire game. So this makes them more like mini-reapers than anything else.

>If they are sentient enough to hire, how would they do in the setting?
I don't know, but I have a feeling their presence will somehow rapidly reduce the number of scantily clad female adventurers.

Typically they ignore defense so it wouldn't matter how much armor you wear. If that's the case you might as well go out in your loincloth

>If that's the case you might as well go out in your loincloth
To be fair the little bugger might have his lads.
That's where they become useful, pair them with a illusionist and people who are enough of a threat to warrant armor. You have yourself a perfect little assassin.

>Karma is literally the move that does damage based on how many kills you have under your belt
which makes them FANTASTIC at assassinating runners with reputations for leaving trails of bodies in their wakes

Aww, it's so cute!

>they also have a move that deals damage based on how many steps you've taken. No not recently, in the entire game.

What would be the best way to handle this gimmick on pen and paper?

AND DEADLY!

Probably based it on how many spaces the enemy has moved before you cast it. Great against targets that love to move around allot.
The problem with that idea is that Karma is a counter attack, so they'd need to survive the first hit.

Expanding on this.
Karma would make them rather great for law enforcement since it's both a counter attack and they're rather durable. The type of person who would open fire on law enforcement probably already has a at least a kill under their belt and even if they don't it'd still hurt like hell.

Chef's Knife would also make these little buggers amazing for spec ops or certain S.W.A.T operations. Imagine a Tonberry with a Sam Fisher outfit.

And I just discovered their existence.

Tell us more they seem fun. Overpowered solitary goblins.

Do they have a society? Any fanfiction gving them more lore?

not much data to give them.

hyper-durable
really really slow moving
magically empowered to inflict karmic justice at reasonably close range(or equipped with a lantern enchanted for same; source dependent)

implacable, when they land an attack it kills the opponent, almost without fail.

if you encounter one, you can almost certainly outrun it
if you cannot outrun it then it's simply kill or be killed

that I can recall, they don't speak and make little noise.

if you kill it, I imagine the knife stands as a trophy worth showing off.
until one night when you open your eyes from a night's sleep to see a calm little blue lamp-light and a pair of amber eyes set in a smooth green face looking at you from the edge of the bed

>Do they have a society?
They have kings so yes they have a society.

>Do they have a society?
They are a proud warrior race renowned for their tenacity and skill in battle. As well as their skill in pleasuring underage ninja girls.

>They are a proud warrior race renowned for their tenacity and skill in battle.
You're confusing them with something else. They never struck me as proud warriors.

if anything they seem to be humble to a literal fault

a plain robe, just one simple weapon, and a lantern, MAYBE a pair of shoes...

In one of the MMO's (11), they were one of the ancient nations (The Kuluu) that were present during a magical catastrophe. The resulting magical fallout mutated them into Tonberry. They still retain some humanity, but they have a deep seated hatred of the races who mutated from the nations that caused the event (AKA, the player races).

So in Shadowrun they'd be the result of a experimental S.U.R.G.E. bomb covered up by the government as a "suspiciously magical comet"?
And perhaps a crown.

They should not be sentient enough to hire. They are a force of nature, a Karma Elemental of sorts. King Tonberry might be a strange form of Dragon, and the little Tonberrys are his spawn.

If it is a strange form of dragon I doubt most would take him seriously at first.

If there are Tonberries that can move fast as shit sentient Tonberries might be possible. Albeit they'd basically be serial killers.

No one takes Tonberrys seriously until they use Everyone's Grudge, then you try to remember how long ago you saved.

youtube.com/watch?v=ThgGIMZz7y0&t=6s

The Tonberry knights in XV fight like evil Yoda.

Jesus.
I'd hate to be whatever runner decides it's a good idea to cheat at Poker with that thing.

I like the look of that combat system

you will notice though that while they have short range fast moves their overall move speed is still quite low.

These things are adorable. I have a plushy of one.

He's like an idea I once had for a chibi-eldar god! Upon seeing it you want to run up and hug it instead of tearing your own eyeballs out.

>OMG such a cute widdle fishy-man *STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*STAB*
>*THUD*

I kind of hope that the toy's lantern lights up to act as a nightlight

>I have a plushy of one.
... I want one.. :<
Does it smell like you?

SO they can generate a Manablade as a critter ability?

They ALWAYS have a manablade.

So yes, as a critter ability rather than as a spell.

And in the other MMO they were from a maritime city with a proud military history but were all turned into Tonberries by a demons curse. Most of them are insane and just want to kill anything but other tonberries but a few have regained their old selves and are basically trying to reform their military style which is one of the jobs.