Why is it that almost all of the space marines and all of the custodians are total dicks for normal imperium citizens...

Why is it that almost all of the space marines and all of the custodians are total dicks for normal imperium citizens? ''Hurr durr, puny, little insignificant humans, I'm so much better than you because some gene seed was rammed inside me and now I'm ''super human'' and you're just insignificant. I also forgot that I was just like you some time ago but who cares right''? Explain please.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zT_vcm7eKIc
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Men_of_Iron
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They are right on being superior and they are tasked with fighting the enemy of the imperium, not protecting the imperials.

>I also forgot that I was just like you some time ago but who cares right''?

Custodes weren't my mane, like Thunder Warriors they were perfect from the start.

They're literally superior, gene-enhanced to be living weapons.

Custodes are even more this, each one the result of thousands of years of genetic science. According to the Emperor, each one of them is unique, and they make Space Marines look like first-day Imperial guard cadets (Constantin Valdor used to beat Horus in sparring matches).

They are, quite literally, a superior race. In some of them, this breeds a great deal of arrogance compared with the "common man" of the Imperium, though it's not the same across all Chapters (Salamanders are one notable exception, but they're not alone).

>I also forgot that I was just like you some time ago but who cares right
it's almost like severe indoctrination, highly invasive surgery and constant warfare from childhood results in some fucked up individuals

who would have thought

I want to hug a Salamander, but im sure ill get burned

The majority have no memory of their human lives, so yeah, they really don't have a frame of reference.

They're indoctrinated and highly-modified fanatics whose life is entirely dedicaced to killing. Space marines aren't meant to love, to think, to be affectionate, to do anything outside of their war for the Emperor. You'll never see a space marine serving soup for refugees. You'll never see a space marine opening a business. You'll never see a space marine attending a friend's wedding. There is the Emperor and there is war, eternal war.
They're dicks because they don't have the same set of morality as normal humans. Some see the puny humans as sheeps they need to defend ; Sometimes they're seen as intruders, as obstacles in their path, especially when said humans are administratum clerks or invasive inquisitors. Rarely, they might have respect for them, but most of the time, their feeling toward the normal folks is pretty simple ; Either they're rabble, but the Emperor's people, or they are the little ants they're meant to defend from all the horrible monstruosities of the warp.

It is like that. They're dicks without really intending to be dicks, it's just that it is their lives and they can't even imagine another life, or else it puts heretical ideas in their minds. Just know that, by killing horrible monsters and aliens, they're indirectly protecting all the normal folks.

Really, anyone who can survive becoming a space marine and the training is already going to be better than regular people in terms of fitness of and strength of will.

Because Grimdark. Everything needs to be Grimdark in 40k and the last hope of humanity has to be arrogant and sneer at what they are supposed to protect to fullfil the Grimdark quota.

Yes. But this superiority comes at a price of being turned into monsters. They are no longer humans.

Space Marines are unbelievably fucking dumb. "Ooga booga I'm a big guy in a tin can, I have a big gun and a weaponized chainsaw"

Lotta fucking good your 'supersoldier' does you when the enemy force is a fleet of AI managed killmachines who zap them to ash from miles away with /sensible/ weapons and who can be replaced and repaired far more easily.

On top of that, this whole idea of waging land war in a fucking FTL-capable civilization is beyond ridiculous. 40k is so fucking stupid.

Because the Space Marines are completely inhuman. They've been psycho-conditioned, so they don't even think like human beings.

Hell, even the blood that runs through their veins is different. They're superior to a baseline human in every way possible.

It's like the Solar Exalted and mortals. The former is objectively better.

(You)

>You'll never see a space marine serving soup for refugees. You'll never see a space marine opening a business. You'll never see a space marine attending a friend's wedding.
Someone has forgotten about the Salamanders.

Besides, we all know BT rock some fine ass soup kitchens. And no one manages a business seminar like the Ravenguard.

If Hellsreach is canon, Grimaldus is a tremendous asshole.

>AI
They've done that before. Didn't end well.

Because they're knights in space and the Imperium is a space feudal empire.

youtube.com/watch?v=zT_vcm7eKIc

Depends on the marine

No really it does

What happens when your fleet cant get near a planet?
>infiltrate

Hurr durr that planet has resources and technological knowledge let's just space fleet blast it lmao

Better yet what happens when teh enemies tps onto the ground lelele just use our space ships door to door to kill them.

It doesn't matter if you think they're antagonistic to humanity, they're obviously superior.

Fleets could obviously get near the planet because they're sensible and doesn't do shit like ram the enemy and pretend they're on the high fucking ocean. An AI fleet needs no crew, no Warp bullshit, no life support, no concern about depressurization, nothing but the systems it needs to annihilate the baboon boats of the fucktarded Imperium.

Planets are completely unnecessary and terribly inefficient means of gathering vital resources. You go to asteroids, comets, and atmosphereless moons for that. An AI can exactly fucking nothing from ass backwards Imperial tech.

>wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Men_of_Iron

Nah, they only burn people who are dicks.

They're quite nice if you're not a xeno or heretic.

A silly Dune meme to justify the absurd grimderp bullshit of 40k.

Because they literally are superior to normal citizens in every way. They were already superior before their ascension due to the fact they were able to succeed in the initation rituals of the Astartes (which would kill the overwhelming majority of humans), but now they are even more so.

Didn't think too much on this one, did you? Are you retarded, OP? Why on Earth should an Astartes feign respect for a being that is as a peasant is to a king?

space marines make good marines in SPEHSS
close range weapons, heavy armors, survive in vaccum, etc ...

Robots make better space marines.

Space marine are dicks because they eat brains to gain memories.

They aren't trained to be nice and friendly, they are biological killing machines designed and trained only to fight.

I thought Titus was respectful of the Imperial Guardsmen in Space Marine. He quoted their motto in quite a somber voice.

The Space Marines are impressive, but it is the Imperial Guardsmen who are the true heroes of the Imperium. They do everything the Space Marines do, but without their enhancements and weapons. They are considered little more than sandbags, and yet they maintain a high level of discipline. The crusades the Black Templars are known for are driven by ten million Imperial Guardsmen. The Space Marines take all the credit, but it's the Imperial Guard which does the heavy lifting.

Read ADB. For all his flaws, he's the one that gets SM and how different from base humans they are.

One quote comes to my mind from Blood and Fire:
>We are not men made weapons
>We are weapons made men

I wouldn't call him and asshole. ADB simply used his standard formula of SM being a bit deaf to basic human logic and emotions, just like every marine he writes, which is fine by me.

Grimaldus isn't a dick, he's just indoctrinated, remember that SM are litteraly hypnotised to shed their human side. Hyperion is oblivious in the same way to much of the Inquisitorial's team emotions, like a child not understanding people being in love.

Talos is a dick though, because Nostramans aren't the nicest people to begin with.

Sad part is that Talos is basically Mr. Rogers on the Nostraman morality scale.

He's basically the only Night Lord that gives a sixteenth of a fuck.

Same reason military hates a lot of things about civilians, like your inability to form orderly lines.

Post source where valdor beat Horus.

>the imperium are an entire group of xenophobic HFYfags who hates non-human things
>their greatest warriors are inhuman soldiers who's no longer human

To be fair, what are the chances that is there any baseline human left after the thousands of years that lasted the Dark Age of Technology? I don't think there's an Homo Sapiens anymore.

Blood Ravens are actually quite nice to imperial citizens but they are very rash towards planetary governments and imperial guard that isnt acting like they are supposed to.

because your average space marine was either selected because they were already a total badass or were breed from birth to be one.

Couple this with the fact:
>they are trained for decades
>are fearless
>super human, nearly godlike compared to normal humans
>have totally devoted mind, body, and soul to the imperium and the god emperor
>Are far smarter
>Are genetically superior

they are egotistical because they are simply FAR BETTTER in almost every measurable way and their own government cares far greater about them then they do regular citizens. Its the reason why you think you are better then some schmuck flipping burgers at wendies.

>humanity meme
They look and behave pretty fucking human to me.

Thunder Warriors were flawed from the start

Valdor beating Horus was an extreme example. He was the only Custode capable of sparring with a Primarch, others would get rekt

Let me put it this way, OP:

Imagine you don't age. You get to be about 30 years old and then stop aging. On your 30th birthday, your mom tells you you have a new cousin You think, "That's nice," then off you go.
You have a job. It's an important job, and it takes you overseas. While you're working, you don't get to call home and communications are very limited. The guys you work with are your best friends.
Every so often, your job is done. You get to go home, and then it's off to the next job. One day you come home, and there's a five-year-old running around the house. "Who's that?" you ask your mom. "It's your youngest cousin." But you need to go on your next job.
And so it goes. Every time come back, things have changed. But not you. You're immortal, at least unless someone drops a piano on you. Your cousin remains a stranger to you, time in and time out. He grows older, and for a time, he resembles you physically, but he doesn't have the same depth of experience as you, so to you, he's still just a kid. Then he starts to go downhill, slowly to him, but at an amazing pace to you. Finally one day you come home. Your mom has passed on, your aunts and uncles, all the people you knew from college and high school, every movie star you grew up watching, every politician, everyone familiar to you is gone. You get word that your cousin, a man who you knew only vaguely and met only a handful of times, has passed away of very old age. "Shame," you think. "I'll send some flowers to the funeral." Then you have to go and do your job. It's an important one. More important than whatever relationship you might have had could be. Just you and your friends, your co-workers, your real family, are left. So you go do your job.
That's the difference between an Astartes and a regular human. Space Marines aren't jerks because they're bad guys, per se. It's just, why care about the feelings of a person you're going to meet once and forget about forever?

Somewere in the HH series he recounts that.

It was a sparring match not a real battle. And Horus is not the most adept close combat primarch.
Were not talking about Masteryiff, Angron, Lion or Magnus.

there are the salamanders

>Massive superhuman egotistical war machines
>normal humans
lolwut

Until a tech savvy fuck decides to hack your shit and fuck you for life.
Can't hack meat.
Besides, the whole point is that it's basically medieval fantasy copy&pasted into space, and the marines are supposed to be the knights, paladins, and general badasses.

it's really simple: they left humanity behind.

this isn't even a joke. there are the chapters like the lamenters who try to associate with humans, but it always ends up fucking them and still seems strange because they're so dissociated.

imagine you could bench press a car for reps. would you talk to normal people? i'd only hang out with fellow corolla curlers.