I am so incredibly tired of modern-day magic being all about neckbeards and aspies screaming about their “wins...

I am so incredibly tired of modern-day magic being all about neckbeards and aspies screaming about their “wins.” I am also tired about all this shill investing and hawking. I guess what I am trying to say is that I miss the good old days of ’93 and people playing just for fun.

So, post your favorite cards and memories, or just the things you like because you actually like them :)

Whenever I see Saheeli Rai, I always hear - "Go All the Way" by the Raspberries (1972)

Other urls found in this thread:

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=rainbow efreet
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3535
mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Regenerate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

One of my favorite cards ever

This weird-ass bugger and his kin are just so incredibly cool and I love them. Built a deck around them back in ye semi-olden days with doubling season, ramp and draw. So many fucking tokens man.

Favorite cards? I'll show you all of them.

Wait, sorry, that was only eight.

Here's number nine.

I, uh...I like phasing.

What did phasing do?

>from Victoria, BC where Canadian Highlander came from
>used to be just a bunch of people playing with their collections and shit from a few guys' vintage cube
>got bigger
>more rules, events, prizes
>judges start to play
>people get serious
>the spergs start getting into it because its "higher powered"
>used to be just "hey I dont actually own a trop can I borrow yours from your cube?" "sure"
>now its cancer

I miss my friends.

So push for some new variant?

Tiny Leaders, block constructed, Frontier, Pauper, whatever.

Homebrew cube, Un-cube, conspiracy cube, EDH cube.

Phasing basically made the thing with phasing not exist every other turn. It didn't go anywhere or come back from anywhere but it stopped existing in all ways for the entire turn.

I did most of my playing in 95-98, and even back then, you had a lot of investing and hawking and people playing super-competitively.

As for my favorite card, well, there can only be one true love in Magic for me.

Right before you untapped, all cards with phasing that were "phased in" would phase out, and would essentially be temporarily out of the game. Couldn't target, couldn't block or attack, couldn't do much of anything. All your phased out creatures would phase in.

If it just had phasing like Tefiri's drake, it essentially meant you'd only really have it around half the time. Play, summoning sickness, you could block if your enemy attacked, he'd phase out next turn, he's gone for that turn, and then he'd phase in, for an attack and possible block.

Some creatures though, would have abilities that phased out on command, which could be much more useful. For instance, I knew a guy who had a few of these

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=rainbow efreet

And would block, phase out, not die, and then phase back in on his own turn.

gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3535

This one was an annoying, popular card in its day, as it could duck out half the time when something would otherwise kill it.

Damn son. I wish I had kept my OG Necropotence copies, but I was just a kid.

Play Commander then? Whatever else the community is like, it's still the Beer and Pretzels MTG format.

With the Internet and such, word gets around about any new variant, and they invariably get infected by power gamers. If you have house rules and variants, guard them jealously lest someone figure out how to "break" it.

>It's the build up and combo off format

Urza's block is and will always be the best block.
Tempest, Odyssey and Invasion are also great.
The game went to shit after Scourge.

>it's still the Beer and Pretzels MTG format.
nigga that dude has been playing since beta
how are you going to tell him that EDH is "still" the kitchen table format when he was probably jamming basics onto kitchen tables before you were born?

also if you have friends with any taste and competence when it comes to the game you'd just put together a cube, or have balanced casual decks ready to roll instead of feeding into WotC's latest cash cow for newbies

Wow I really don't like this attitude.

There can always be variants. EDH too solved? Go back to the original, Elder Dragon Legends as the only generals allowed. Or tribal, deck must contain plenty of a single creature type. Or pauper EDH, with an uncommon as general. Or any twist to undo the solve.

And some formats can't be broken: planechase, archenemy, cube.

Please tell me your formats.

Urza was overpowered as balls.
Onslaught is one of the best blocks of all time.

Not OP, I've found EDH to be bothersome. I've encountered people have super tooled up EDH decks, small groups that have their own banned lists and don't inform others until it comes up, and have had a good number of games where you just get screwed by RNJesus. It's hard to really gauge the power level of the decks being used and match it in order to have a good game. It's a fun format if you can get a good, balanced game, but it gets stale unless people are constantly trying new decks and it's hard to switch play groups because some are really casual and others aren't. Pretty sure that being a lvl 2 judge, programmer, and using game theory has drained a lot of the fun out of it for me though.Please help me find joy in this game again, I love legacy but it's dead where I am

Trying to find help for a fun Green/Blue energy deck, I just want to use this guy, anyone have Ideas or know where I can look for

It doesn't matter what twists you add, there will always be someone who solves it. That's what happened with Tiny Leaders: after a couple months, a couple of power gamers came up with the formula that Ezuri, Renegade Leader and Geist of Saint Traft were the best commanders, and there was no point running anything else, with very few exceptions. Interest dropped off pretty quickly once people realized it was basically a two-deck format.

The only solution is to play with people who honestly don't care that much about winning. There are surprisingly a lot of people like that, and it's the only way I've found it possible to enjoy EDH, and I enjoy it a lot.

>It doesn't matter what twists you add, there will always be someone who solves it.
BREAK
CUBE

Go on. Do it.

>The only solution is to play with people who honestly don't care that much about winning.
There you go. Keeping formats secret doesn't help. With the wrong players, no format is safe; with the right players; any is fine.

I love this motherfucker so much. I think it's just the tactile feel of doing those scries in a row that just feels so good.

I feel like Cubes would be good here too, especially silly, themed, or low powered ones.

>I love legacy but it's dead where I am
Well you're fucked.
Standard and EDH are worthless.
Modern is fucked.
Meme formats like Frontier are going to (deservedly) have 0 support.

That only leaves Limited. And while winning packs off the aforementioned playerbases is always fun, do you really want to give WotC money for awful cards with bad art that you'll never have any use for afterwards?

>Shahrazad, Trolling since 1993
Back in the day this card had so many weird rulings that it caused every Judge to go cross eyed when I played it. Rules back in the day counted a time out with one win and no losses as a victory so I could run the clock down while trolling my opponent with a playset of this card.

Back in 08' with the rule changes I made a deck that was based on going infinite with Sharazad's and setting games within games like Inception. Stuff like Panopic Mirror, Spellbinder, Isocron Scepter with Vamp Tutor and Counterspell on it, etc to fish for them while controlling with esper colors was hilarious. Especially since exiled cards in the minigames return to the deck and you can't target cards outside of the minigame. So I made it where several "levels" would be rigged with a panopic mirror ready to copy the Sharazad and played smart to have them end a minigame on their turn so when we went up a level, we just went back into the same minigame we just got out of. Hell with the new rulings and you add Narset into the mix giving rebound to it, once I get back into a previous level then the rebound and the mirror could go off to keep the bullshit going. If I could, I'd create an app which counts the minigames and plays that Inception horn blast every time it's pressed.

Like 95% of cubes are the same anyway. I've found that cubes aren't really fun unless they're so powerful that nobody really cares who wins or deliberately underpowered like with Pauper.

>a couple of power gamers came up with the formula that Ezuri, Renegade Leader and Geist of Saint Traft were the best commanders, and there was no point running anything else, with very few exceptions

It was a BUG snake token before Leovold was around.

Have some originality. Make block cubes, multicolor cubes, overpowered homebrew cubes if that's what you like.

Here's an idea: after ever session, the winner gets to errata a card. Add an ability, increase P/T, reduce cost, remove "only any time you could play a sorcery", whatever.

Then you have a personalise cube that changes every time.

Pretty sure it was the Abzan goodstuff decks that broke the format first considering the French Abzan lists barely run anything over cmc3 anyway.

I have a pauper cube, but I hardly ever update it because I only draft it like once a year lol.

>It was a BUG snake token before Leovold was around.
What do you mean?

God damn it, I figured as much. Why do you have to be right? I did some limited for conspiracy and EMA, when both were knew and enjoyed most of it, but I can't really find myself ever really getting into limited, huge money sink unless you constantly win with a big enough prize pool.

Would be easier to allow the winner to add/remove a card if it's not an expensive cube, less paper work to keep track of.

If there was no legal commander for your colours, you could use a 3 mana vanilla 2/2. BUG was so good that the 2/2 was an insane commander just because of the colours.

>Would be easier to allow the winner to add/remove a card if it's not an expensive cube, less paper work to keep track of.
Sure, or you could use proxies or cheap cards like 's pauper cube and just write on them.

I didn't know that rule! Did it apply to four color combinations too? What's the list of creature types for each color, or is it you pick?

Anyone want to brainstorm some new kitchen table formats?

I'd personally like to play a multi block constructed format.
Maybe something with deck construction rules like:
-You can only play cards from two separate blocks of your choice.
-Your deck must consist of at least 40% cards from each block
-You must include a card from every set in those blocks
and possibly rarity restrictions like common and uncommon only, or a limited rare count (less than 5 per deck, no duplicates).

>4c
Nah, you couldn't do hybrid mana

Invasion Odyssey with 6th and 7th edition
Time Spiral, 9th and Ravnica

I don't know anymore, my LGS stopped playing Tiny Gays shortly after starting playing it. Comboing off with Teysa was fun though. Darkest Hour and Blasting Station was some pimp shit.

I would just go with the first bit, everything else restricts deck building too much for others to easily join. Probably want to ban mirrodin and scars of mirrodin from being used together

>Hey, everybody- we at Tiny Leaders are super sorry if our trademark and fair use policy was confusing or unclear. I'm here to put some rumors to bed, because people seem to have the wrong idea of why we're doing this.
>"You guys are just trying to make money off of it!"
>That would be awesome, but no- we're only looking to protect ourselves from losing opportunities- it's like if you were to take something Wizards owns, say... the clan symbols or guild symbols- and print off a bunch of shirts and sell them? That would get you in trouble.
>"You're going to sue us!"
>I don't ever want to even think of going through the hassle of litigation. Honestly, the legal action statement is more of a safety net in case things go horribly wrong in some unforeseeable way.
Hmm...

c
>Nah, you couldn't do hybrid mana
Which will look pretty odd if WoTC one day does a 3cc legendary with 4c or 5c color identity General Tazri style.

Turns out the BUG snake was only a 2/2 at first, then it became a 3/3...

Banning Exodus might be advisable too. Recurring Nightmare and Survival of the Fittest in the same set? No thanks.

There should be some rules in place so people don't just make old busted block constructed/standard decks.
I was thinking more along the lines of chocolate and peanut butter things like Kamigawa-Innistrad tempo spirits, Onslaught-Urza cycling control, Masques-Lorwyn rebel changelings, etc.

It would work and be fun, it would require some testing and forbidden combinations to prevent certain combinations that would break the format. Bans are not an inherently bad things. How are you thinking of ruling on core sets? They were intended as part reprint, part basic essentials for decks back when they were a thing

EDH cube with no card that sees competitive play in any format.

Five Rounds of Pain

>games goes for five rounds
>players don't have life totals, but instead track the amount of damage they've received
>at the end of five rounds, the player who did the most damage to the other guy wins
>lifegain removes damage from the player as normal

Only thing that needs worked out is how to stop infinite damage combos from shitting up the format. Was thinking of either putting a cap on damage sources that share a name or limit how many actions a player can do on their turn.

EDH cube sounds awful no matter how you try to make it work desu. Though a cube with only non-competitive cards sounds pretty fun.

Just ban individual combos.

Yes it's fiddly and wouldn't work for a tournament, but this is between friends.

Just banning infinite combos wouldn't work anyway, because that just means you need to find a combo that isn't quite "infinite", just very high. e.g. is I can double my creature's power ten times, starting at 2, that goes: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096. And that's not too hard with something that doubles and a bit of mana production, no infinite needed.

-Let each player choose one global enchantment or noncreature artifact, of any converted mana cost, that affects each player equally. These start in play uncontrolled by either player, and remain untouchable.

A lot of late-game permanents change the game dynamic entirely - it would be interesting to see how the game changes when they're just part of the rules of the match.

-Noncreature commander, where your "commander" is specified before the match to be a different card type, and perhaps nonlegendary.

-Allow only nonbasic lands, and allow more than 4 of each. This may require using basic land types as proxies for more interesting cards.

-Exclusively allow creatures of a single chosen type. This may or may not allow creatures with a second creature type in addition to the deck's chosen type.

-Allow (besides basic lands) only cards with a specific name in the title: "Phyrexian," "Llanowar," "Homunculus." May lead to too many tribal decks, slivers especially.

-Disallow creatures. Treat all noncreature, nonland permanents as creatures with power and toughness equal to their converted mana cost.

-Disallow creatures. Period. I'm sure token generation would play large in this, but I'd like to see what happens.

>EDH cube sounds awful no matter how you try to make it work desu.
Just say any creature can be a general, or remove color restrictions so any general can serve any deck (though you'd still need the rights colors to cast him), or pick generals after drafting your card pool from a pool of generals with a few of each color, or allow each player to have a proxy general to match their deck Tiny Leaders style.

I wasn't thinking about using core sets but you could say that you get to choose one core set that is chronologically adjacent to one of your blocks, and it might also have to come out between them.

>Let each player choose one global enchantment or noncreature artifact, of any converted mana cost, that affects each player equally. These start in play uncontrolled by either player, and remain untouchable.
Coat of Arms

>May lead to too many tribal decks
>tribal decks
>too many

That's why I was thinking something like a five action per turn limit would be nice since it'd shut down near infinite combos like Altar Golem + Elemental Mastery.

So assuming you start your turn with the combo ready to go, you could tap, untap, tap, untap, tap, and then your turn would be over.

Also has the benefit of making the turns quicker.

>Though a cube with only non-competitive cards sounds pretty fun.

It is.

Plus it's a nice way to give junk rares a home.

>I choose Sulfuric Vortex for my burn deck, user. What do you choose?
>Smokestack, obviously.

Anyone selling repacks here? I love the thrill of opening packs but I don't want to feed the cardboard Jew that is Wizards of the Coast.

>something like a five action per turn limit
Well this is a completely new format on its own.

And would basically kill/maim a whole lot of decks with nothing to do with infinite combos.

The secondary market feeds WotC, you economic illiterate. Get Cockatrice.

>Coat of arms
Delicious.

>And would basically kill/maim a whole lot of decks with nothing to do with infinite combos.

That's fine. The whole point of making new formats is to shake up deck construction anyway.

I think you may be retarded.

>being this much of a raging faggot

Talk to

Get the nissa kaladesh deck

So you're an original "that guy"?

I get how you feel OP I went into my LFGS so get some starter sets and pretty much everyone in the shop told me to net deck instead, I told them I only cared about having fun themed decks for pick up games with mates and they had no idea what I was on about.

I want stuff I can have fun with

also they should bring back stuff like pic related

Why the fuck is it always Blue cards that are the most powerful?

I'd love to see a set with red being the most powerful, creatures hitting hard and fast

That's hilarious, well done.

The best way to play magic is to buy a starter deck and then add cool/useful cards you come across over time. Just buying the shit you want online feels like cheating to me.

Mate it's a nice enjoyable mentality while you can maintain it.

It's just better financially buying online. There's nothing stopping it from being fun.

Oh I do buy stuff online, I just prefer picking things up here and there as I go.

>Let each player choose one global enchantment or noncreature artifact, of any converted mana cost, that affects each player equally. These start in play uncontrolled by either player, and remain untouchable.

I was thinking about doing something like that, except it would be with a single deck of enchantment for the board.
When you start a game you shuffle the pile and reveal the first card.
Every player could replace the current enchantment with a new one by doing something (probably something like paying some mana at sorcery speed or I don't know).

In the end it'd pretty much be Planechase-lite

did not happen.
>Every judge to go cross eyed

mate, judges would boot you out. shahrazad is banned in literally every format. Good luck playing a sorcery on isochron scepter. Etc

Where were people letting you play shahrazad in 08 except maybe commander? it was banned in legacy/vintage in 07 with this to say about it

>The worst-case scenario involves a player winning the first game of a match and then sideboarding in some number of Shahrazads, launching subgames nested within subgames, each with copious and meticulous shuffling until time runs out.

While I doubt you did this, it has been done.

Here's a one-page easy explanation. Phasing is easiest to remember if you just remember how it contrasts to Exile.

Honestly this isn't kitchen table but it's a perfect non rotating unsolvable format.
Pennyless: you cant play cards worth more than a dollar.
The strongest part of this format is that problem cards will ban themselves out and force new metas.
The weakest part is always checking prices.

>Rules back in the day counted a time out with one win and no losses as a victory

This hasn't changed. I do this regularely with my Lantern Control deck. It's mainly their own fault for not conceding when I have the lock.

>ornithopter
>memnite
>cranial plating
>vault skirge
>signal pest
>almost etched champion
>galvanic blast
>springleaf drum

Like 80% of affinity is under a dollar. All you're missing is master of etherium, ravager, steel overseer, and opals. You could probably replace those with some less effective but still okay artifact synergy.

What's worse? Most of the good affinity answers are over a buck.

hadn't considered that I was sure some of those cards were more expensive.

>>in 08' it was really bullshit with rebound, spell copying, jhoria suspend, etc which was added later in the deck for Kitchen magic with friends. You're right that it was banned in 08 but I was able to play a weaker version of it back in day as well. The main bullshit of the deck I got in late 04/early 05 because Darksteel was 04 which most of the imprint artifacts came from. You were right that they banned it in 07 which is why I revamped it to troll my friends in 08 but I got away with a lot of shit back in 1993-1999 days with thrumming stone, recall, etc because the old stack would resolve them equally so multiple castings made multiple mini games (at least before they unruled that in 2001). I only played it in a few games during 04-07 but it was still hilarious to watch people squirm as we got trapped in multiple minigames. Especially Trons because they could never get their setups straight from their deck being fragmented with multiple minigames or stalled out in the hope of getting out of the loop.
>Shara on a Scepter
Yeah I know you can't do that because it's a sorcery. I put vamp tutor or counter spell on the scepter not shara. Reason being is because you can tap it during your upkeep in response to you casting a copy of shara so you can fish for another shara or pan mirror to be drawn within the minigame. You put a
counter spell on the stick once you got the chain going to prevent them from blowing up the mirror or countering the copy. There were propably a few more instants that could go nasty with this but that was what I mostly used at that time and didn't have a catalog of all the 2 drop instants.

Well, people could host tournaments with a Theme attached to it

For example, in one weekend it would be "Urban vs Savage".

-Constructed;
-Only Modern playable cards under $X dollars;
-Your deck most fill the urban or savage theme, with all the creatures and spells being connected with it, judges have final word on which cards can be played in any given theme, "no stretching allowed"

We did that in my old FGS with Heroclix, MARVEL and DC VS. System, Battle Scenes, Pokemon.

you could get away with atog in that format most likely

toolcraft exemplar?

well see that is one small benefit to the format if this got a lot of play, those cards would go up and ban themselves out, as a pet format its main feature doesn't work as well.

>gp for the one dollar format
>every card for every deck gets banned
>Decks rotate
>those cards never go below a dollar again because they are the best for the one dollar format

someone would need to make a card scanner that looks at the card and immediately spits out the price so you could check legality without having to search each card

could cards get banned mid tourney

what about Canada funbux? we can't use cards above a buck 30 or what

well you would have to price lock before a turney or else thats just stupid. What ever an american dollar is in Canadian bison dollars sure.

>see a tourney
>like the deck
>go buy the deck
>it's banned the next day when you go to play it

life sucks dude

There needs to be a rule that a certain portion of your deck has to be jank. There is no other way to heal this game.

Yeah, let's go back to when RDW won the Pro Tour and the first GP after it.

>see a tourney
>like the deck
>go to but the deck
>cost $600+ dollars
>rotates out in a month
also your scenario can happen to any deck look to modern and twin.

I just bought a shitload of planechase cards, which should spice up my kitchen table games with casual friends.

I like the idea of everyone playing with their own stack of 10 plane cards like you're supposed to as opposed to the filthy casual mass multiplayer alternative I see of someone making a lolsorandom stack of 40+.

Plane cards should be relevant to each individual deck. You are trying to keep the fight on your 'home turf,' so to speak.

Also, I find The Fourth Sphere to be such a fucking tease. It's actually set on old Phyrexia, and I can't be the only one who would love the story to actually revisit the place. Even if only to behold the fucked up hellscape hinted at in its descriptions over the years.

I know it's supposed to be a smoldering husk but dafuq mang it's the fucking source of the oil that corrupted Memnarch and set Scars of Mirrodin/New Phyrexia in motion.
Elspeth was from a plane taken over by the Phyrexians, and had planeswalked to the original Phyrexia iirc.
That had to be long after the events of the weatherlight saga which apparently destroyed old Phyrexia so go on and cough up an excuse for us to go visit the place Wizards!

Competitive Magic ruins Magic, IMO.

would be cool but I don't see it happening at least until after the jacetice league fucks off a bit

The cards would be too brutal for the modern game.

Built From Spares

60-80 card decks, no repeats save for basic lands. Maximum 15 uncommons, 5 rares, and 1 mythic.

What are your expectations for Un-3?

Cube and EDH are great. An EDH Cube is even better.

How dare you say cubes aren't fun. They're literally the only place keywords like regenerate will ever see play again. If you don't like cube you must not like Magic.

Inb4
>I'm a spike
>Muhh netdeck

>They're literally the only place keywords like regenerate will ever see play again.
They are going to be reprinting regeneration for a long time to come.

PS "regenerate" isn't a keyword.

I think about multi block all the time. I just have to find people willing to go in on it with me and play those sets whole ignoring standard and stuff. I feel like getting all the cards for cube would be rough so buying a box and drafting at first would be the way to go.

It would be amazing for kitchen table. I want to do Llorwyn block and something that synergizes nicely.

My favorite format is 'anything goes'. It only works if both players aren't spikes.

This is my goal. Might make another list on cube tutor and actually put it together this time now that I have nothing in rotation for standard. What else am I going to do with 97% of my cards?

Regenerate is exactly a keyword.

mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Regenerate