Post interesting and original fantasy settings that would make good rpgs

Post interesting and original fantasy settings that would make good rpgs.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1CpnhakUKxFeXzONYyccrrWhvc7kZeIK4q7gcEtK6sQo/edit#
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8YD2b2w1A6EeEFBUDRmdXR0ZTA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Grimdark Planescape

Basically anything Garth Nix wrote.

Autistic worldbuilding ho!

Sick of all those "morally grey monster" settings or ones that involve skills based around how charming you are?

HERE'S a setting where you CAN'T negotiate with dragons. HERE'S a setting where your force-of-personalty means fuck all! HERE'S a setting that encourages you to change your gear for the mission, rather than stagnate around with your armor you've had since chargen. HERE'S a setting where not only can you bash a monster over the head with bagpipes, it outright ENCOURAGES you to do so!

Also, bipedal talking cats that are not catgirls, but actual cats that can walk on their hind legs.

This one would be great fun. WWI vs. fantasy necromancers is brilliant.

You mean Deadworld, the Veeky Forums homebrew?

The world of Ethshar seems like it would make a good RPG setting, if someone who isn't the author made the actual game.

Seems the author did intend it as a game setting initially, but then gave up on it because it got too complex.

Posting another good setting

Should I look into his other works if I've been digging his Old Kingdom stuff?

>half of the book is food description tables

The Malazan books of the fallen.
>You will never read their GURPS notes or know who was playing who from the books and who were NPCs.

YES

There is a rpg about that.

I once played a Redwall inspired setting. It became soon an hedonistic fetish fest, starting with body weight gain.

Man, I love the Old Kingdom series.

I'm actually in a Dungeons the Dragoning game where my GM replaced the default Umbra with The River of Death, precincts and all, which has been very cool.

I know that it's not entirely conducive to your standard RPG antics, but Dinotopia is a rich and whimsical setting that has a lot of potential for running many different types of campaigns.

Those dinos aren't accurate. They lack feathers and sure they roar like mammals instead of doing noises more appropriate for birds.

The books came out before feathering on dinosaurs was really understood to be accurate.

The Ear, The Eye and the Arm for some weirdass Afrofuturism

Then the books had become outdated and must be condemned to become out of print.

Most of the other stuff is a bit more "young adult" but the Keys to the kingdom set is a pretty interesting setting.

They're a work of fantasy you grognard.

That dragon's wing is so awkwardly angled I thought he was going to sword fight that human. Now THAT's a setting I'd play in.

I know user. Hence whatever I say about recent scientific discoveries concerning dinos is irrelevant.

I liked a lot of the ideas from Seventh Tower, even if the writing was just alright in those.

Have characters teleported by a magic user from a low-magic and dark setting where magic users/non-humans are actively hunted/killed and place them into a high magic DnD setting.

Fallen London/Sunless Sea

Not only does the work date from a point of different understanding of dinosaurs, but it takes place in the Victorian era. As we all know, rules are different if the book itself is set back in time.
(That's why you can breathe on Mars as long as you got there through Victorian or Alternate-Victorian technology.)

>The Improbable Stair
>The Architect's Printing Press
>The Border Sea stretching out into the Secondary Realms

It would get pretty crazy.

But the fantasy genre is derivative and unoriginal, so how can a fantasy RPG be either?

This anons got a good pick.

>Also, bipedal talking cats that are not catgirls, but actual cats that can walk on their hind legs.

So, furries.

Man, I know what "afrofuturism" actually means, but it will never measure up to what it means in my head.

Except that fantasy genre isn't really about Tolkien-plagiarism (and never was, it's actually older than Tolkien) like you seem to suggest and there is plenty of original fantasy like this thread demonstrates.

>I'm not familiar with fantasy beyond shallow imitations of the founding works of the genre, so how can a fantasy RPG possibly be original?

Sell me on this.

Seventh Tower was my JAM as a kid, loved that series to death.

Rag Witch is pretty terrifying and Shades Children gave me nightmares.

Kill yourself, you pretentious cunt. If you think you know so much about fucking dinosaurs fuck off to a vertebrate palaeontology program at Uni or shut the fuck up and understand that you're. Or an authority.

And to continue

>sauropods
>DAE LE FEATHERS

Yeah, you sure know a lot about dinosaurs.

He's being a troll. Shit man, that chum really got you, didn't it.

The Monster Blood Tattoo series. Think biopunk mixed with Georgian England/Holy Roman Empire with alchemist-warriors, fae creeping in through the edges of civilization, and superhuman freaks whose grafted organs let them use bioelectricity to slay giants.

It's probably been said before, but I recently watched the entire (as of right now anyway) of the Wakfu show thanks to a recommendation from /co/.

I like the setting and it's take on humans taking on aspects of their god (I understand the more . . . animalistic gods, I never said it was perfect). The high fantasy, general upbeat nature of the setting, and mix of tech/magic is all really interesting to me.

Been trying to make it work for my homebrew, which is difficult at best. Turns out shitty MMO's aren't a great bouncing off point for a TTRPG.

>inb4 hips
>inb4 thicc
It's there, I know, but I enjoy the setting outside of the . . . physical aspects of the characters.

Wakfu thiccness and hips are a meme. Take this from a proper chubby chaser.

I've seen more than one /co/ thread devolve into it, so I decided to put that little bit in there.

Hope you watched it subbed, since the dub's horrendous. and the MMO is actually made in such a manner that it wouldn't be too hard just to say "Fuck it" and rip the game mechanics from there wholesale

>Monster hunter
>Repetitive "hit in target zone and dodge scripted attack sequences" gameplay
>Edgelord weapons that are bigger than the character
>Furries
How about no?

>implying that description doesn't apply to literally everyone in existence now that Pratchett is dead

Despite fanbase pandering late in and somewhat shity voice acting early on I still think pic related gets too much hate and would make for a great RPG.

Absolutely yes
OH YES

I wish it was that easy, I've been using my personal system to hack it together. It's . . . workingish.
Need to keep playing with it to see if it's working.
Here's what I have so far, some of the terminology is for my system, so I can explain if I need to.

I have a word doc somewhere where I made a rough hack for Sunless Sea. I need to read up more on Fallen London proper though.

docs.google.com/document/d/1CpnhakUKxFeXzONYyccrrWhvc7kZeIK4q7gcEtK6sQo/edit#

Read away.

>creating a make-believe world
>autistic
pic two, always.

>All of those Links

The tank classes are actually Sacrier (Due to the sheer massive amount of HP they can achieve) and Feca (Since shields)
Also, Shushu's aren't TECHNICALLY pure evil. They're pure destruction, and the one in charge is an evil one, but they weren't always evil. They actually were taught evil by humans. Isn't that a fun inversion?

These books are highly underrated, and quite good.

/co/ are faggots who love trannies, they wouldn't know a juicy ass or thunderous thighs if their skulls were being crushed by a pair of the latter.

Alright, I'll edit Sacrier around a bit, probably give them an option for "Berserker" or "Pain Magic" and instead give them some extra wounds.
Then I get to try and fix the Enutrophs.

For the Feca, I might borrow from my Mass Effect hack, SHIELDS, AWAY!

Also, I learned something new, neat.
Probably play around with that in the description.

You are sadly correct.

An enututrof's defining feature is money.

im not a Veeky Forums fag so

tl;dr of planescape?

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8YD2b2w1A6EeEFBUDRmdXR0ZTA

Enjoy FATE/Dresden Files hack for Fallen London. Not bad, and also not mine.

Late night bump.

You clearly don't know what he posted.

But those books were shit. I mean the setting seemed decent, but those books were shit.

Do you have a deathwish?

Imagine lovecraft, pratchett and m c escher had a mutated, insane lovechild. Crazy multiplanar setting in an ever-shifting, corrupt city that connects all planes of existance in this and every other universe. Inhabited by denizens of every form imaginable and undimaginable, be they cute or brutish, beautiful or horrifying, mortal or immortal. Ruled over by an invincible, terrible, uncaring entity called the lady of pain.

Fuggin' Primes, what rattles in their brainbox couldn't fill half of a loonies cup.

But just like it's depicted in the cards. The books are entertaining, but aren't as gritty as you'd expect it and all the legendary cards deserve more fleshing out.

Centerra, the most OG gonzo fantasy world ever.

The mistborn books by Brandon Sanderson has an interesting setting and magic system

Not strictly fantasy but Dorohedoro gives me one of the biggest setting-boners out of everything I've read.

Holy fuck this. Was about to post this.

Since you already did, I'll go ahead and post Hodgson's 'The Night Land'

Fucking A. Seventh Tower and Shades Children would both make cool RPG settings.

Why this doesn't have an official RPG or at least a movie or something is beyond me.

Ok, so let's forget Everything else about Seventh Tower for a minute, except for one little thing: The Monster Battle Creation Card Game in the first book. I want That as a Tabletop Skirmish Game.

Someone make a VR game out of it or something, I'm sure you could remake it in tabletop simulator.

Kinda agree, they were for teens, the protag and his master were meh to bad, but man, the setting and the art are so good.

You. I like you. I'd be your player.

Well of Shiuan.